Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-18, 04:45   Link #281
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
but I'm really not getting all the fanservice-complaints when there's barely any of it...
It's the nature of that fanservice. For a non-lolicon audience:
Fanservice of ten year old girl = squick (amplified by the show's theme) = jarring and distracting = detracts from the experience

Pretty simple, really. The Sora fanservice I have less complaints about since she isn't supposed to be ten like Miu.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 04:51   Link #282
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
It's the nature of that fanservice. For a non-lolicon audience:
Fanservice of ten year old girl = squick (amplified by the show's theme) = jarring and distracting = detracts from the experience

Pretty simple, really. The Sora fanservice I have less complaints about since she isn't supposed to be ten like Miu.
*pokes outfoxzero's eyes*

You are looking at my Miu aren't you! You are thinking of coveting her aren't you so you can make her wear fox ears and go "Miu~!"?*

Go away! Stay away from my Miu!

* - That sounds like a good idea for a fanart.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 04:53   Link #283
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
Y'know, that's kinda disrespectful towards people who like that stuff...
how about being more polite?
Since 0utf0xzer0 already addressed your other point well enough I'll just reply to this point.

I'm not trying to kid anyone here. I find that sort of stuff distasteful. Not because I have some higher moral standard here or any of that kind of bs, but just the idea that the show is seriously trying to sell me a 10 year old girl's sex appeal to me or something. A girl mind you who probably hasn't even hit puberty.

I'm not going to say anything about you guys who enjoy it. That's your call. Personally, I find this content displeasing ot me, and in a show of this nature, VERY distracting. If this show was clearly defined as that kind of show, I wouldn't even come here to complain about it. Clearly it wouldn't be for me. But at the moment, it's just a tad too unclear for me at the moment.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 06:41   Link #284
Qikz

Watched this even though I thought it was going to be pretty bad, I really enjoyed it.

I guessed what was going to happen in episode 2 but I was really hoping it wasn't. That bit was kind of sad if I'm honest and sucks since her character was so nice.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 06:46   Link #285
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
About all those fanservice/story clash debates: Can we do that after like we're at episode 4?
Yeah...Like after Sumeragi makes sure the three lolis are under her control?.... *dash*
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 07:12   Link #286
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Yeah...Like after Sumeragi makes sure the three lolis are under her control?.... *dash*
She can't. I got Miu and Hentaitron has got Sora (by her boobs). Therevis no way she can take them all.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 07:27   Link #287
Dop
Mmmm....

Actually, the anime from last year we should be comparing this show to is not the superb Usagi Drop, but instead comparison should be made to Astarotte no Omocha, a show which juggled 'heartwarming and bittersweet family issues' with 'insanely dodgy premise', so every time you were lulled into a false sense of security and thinking "Awwww, isn't that cute" they'd throw in a reminder of that basic premise again to creep you out.

While this is not as bad, if it's a choice between heartwarming or dodgy I take the former.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 07:55   Link #288
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Since 0utf0xzer0 already addressed your other point well enough I'll just reply to this point.

I'm not trying to kid anyone here. I find that sort of stuff distasteful. Not because I have some higher moral standard here or any of that kind of bs, but just the idea that the show is seriously trying to sell me a 10 year old girl's sex appeal to me or something. A girl mind you who probably hasn't even hit puberty.

I'm not going to say anything about you guys who enjoy it. That's your call. Personally, I find this content displeasing ot me, and in a show of this nature, VERY distracting. If this show was clearly defined as that kind of show, I wouldn't even come here to complain about it. Clearly it wouldn't be for me. But at the moment, it's just a tad too unclear for me at the moment.
Where to start?

You are distracted by non-existent kids and teenagers, view them sexually, yet blame animators, scriptwriters, and viewers who don't. If not what is exactly distracting you?

You also insist on using the term "this kind of show", other than judging that "kind" from only 2 episodes, you are also assuming what will happen in the next 10 as well as what is happening in their original material.

And do you really want shows to fit one or two troupes and be easily predictable from their first half hour?

Oh! and I am using "you" for convenience, nothing personal, a lot of people voiced similar concerns, and however bipolar and rude, you are the majority of normal people

PS: About you now, I am surprised that EVA is one of your favourite shows, which starred some of the most horny teenagers in non-H anime, ignoring being one of the shows that popularized fan-service. Also Cowboy Bepop? Faye? and I don't know where to start with Texhnolyze

PS2: Remember kids real life has nothing to do with fiction
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 09:41   Link #289
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

at first... I completely not interested about this anime because the title sounds a moe moe ecchi anime for me

after watching ep 1,
woot! he's 19 years old like me... xD
and that's completely a typical life of university boy like me...
he looks mature... and got 3 moe nieces....

watching ep 2,
*overcuteness....*
I want to watch this more... what a beautiful family love....
and Yuuta really take a dangerous decision.... how can he support 4 people while studying for college.... the other family must support his financial as well... at least scholarship for Sora, Yuuta, and Miu

there's nothing like step-mother cruelty or step-sister cruelty.... very beautiful... setting is good and soundtrack is okay.....

*entering watching list*
anyway, Hina is too mature for being 3 years old.... she acts like 5 years old already
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 11:09   Link #290
larethian

Just watched ep 2 at last. Quite a lot of filler scenes which makes it really slow-paced (could be good, or bad, I can't really tell).

Btw, the funeral scene in the LN was also rather curt. The only part where I felt anything in the LN from that particular part was:
Spoiler for LN comparison with same events:
Anyway, other than the scene described above, the death of their parents scene is not really supposed to be that heartrending anyway, because of the curtness of the event. This just sets up the scenario for the story to proceed (please refer to the 'title' of the series again).

The part where Miu called Yuuta Papa in the anime:
Spoiler for LN comparison:

As the credits rolled, I saw staff from Zexcs. That might explain some of the more liberal fan-service scenes.

Also to set some expectations right, this is not a gloomy series about tragedy after tragedy. This is about a 19-year old university student having to take on the role of a father to his 3 nieces (who are all at their respective difficult ages: adolescent in puberty, the 'little devil' child, and the ignorant and innocent toddler) and how they cope with their lives at the same time. So it should be pretty normal to have a mix of both heartwarming (or even light hearted comedy) and heartrending or touching scenes in between. So I don't really find anything wrong with some fanservice scenes here and there, as long as it falls within the light hearted moments (after all they want this to sell). There are also some mild fanservice in the novels for humor purposes (they either bring a smile to my face or make me laugh, I definitely didn't start panting like a dog ) and to accentuate certain behavioral traits of some characters, which I don't really feel like discussing now.

If they do the conclusion chapters of volume 1 right, it would be good stuff.

Last edited by larethian; 2012-01-18 at 11:23.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 14:14   Link #291
ookamigirl

Yuuta & Sora... just a matter of time.
Those girl sure make a good team ^^
OMG, never would have thought he'd get an instant family in such a way.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 14:44   Link #292
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Where to start?

You are distracted by non-existent kids and teenagers, view them sexually, yet blame animators, scriptwriters, and viewers who don't. If not what is exactly distracting you?

You also insist on using the term "this kind of show", other than judging that "kind" from only 2 episodes, you are also assuming what will happen in the next 10 as well as what is happening in their original material.

And do you really want shows to fit one or two troupes and be easily predictable from their first half hour?

Oh! and I am using "you" for convenience, nothing personal, a lot of people voiced similar concerns, and however bipolar and rude, you are the majority of normal people
No I'm blaming animators and script writers who do view them sexually trying to cram it down my throat while marketing a supposedly heart warming show on the side. I do not know whether you sincerely believe what you are saying but my cynicism tells me there is exactly one reason why they would bother to give fanservice of a 10 yo girl in this show. Did it work on me? No, all it was is a jarring use of fanservice (Btw I typically do not like fanservice in general), and a laughable one at that.

It is not about being easily predictable either. There is absolutely no reason to try make sex posters of ten year old girls in a show which obviously takes itself seriously enough to try and present a heartwarming story.

My main complaint of the episode besides that though is simply that this anime is really rushed though towards its ending scenes. No transition use whatsoever.

Quote:
PS: About you now, I am surprised that EVA is one of your favourite shows, which starred some of the most horny teenagers in non-H anime, ignoring being one of the shows that popularized fan-service. Also Cowboy Bepop? Faye? and I don't know where to start with Texhnolyze

PS2: Remember kids real life has nothing to do with fiction
If you want to discuss these types of things take it to the threads themselves or to my wall.
Old 2012-01-18, 15:24   Link #293
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
A girl mind you who probably hasn't even hit puberty.
You don't know that. People hit puberty at different ages, my older sister got her period when she was 9. Even though at the time was more rare, but kids are developing physically faster nowadays. Hell, statistics even came out that more and more kids are having sex in grade school.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 17:41   Link #294
Peanutbutter

I guessed 3 years old is the new moe nowadays, eh?

Kinda depressing to see the main premise of the show to be based on such a sad situation. I'm alright with the fanservice (as long as it's not too much).

Looking forward to see how things progress.

Spoiler for sora's role:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 18:23   Link #295
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
No I'm blaming animators and script writers who do view them sexually trying to cram it down my throat while marketing a supposedly heart warming show on the side. I do not know whether you sincerely believe what you are saying but my cynicism tells me there is exactly one reason why they would bother to give fanservice of a 10 yo girl in this show. Did it work on me? No, all it was is a jarring use of fanservice (Btw I typically do not like fanservice in general), and a laughable one at that.

It is not about being easily predictable either. There is absolutely no reason to try make sex posters of ten year old girls in a show which obviously takes itself seriously enough to try and present a heartwarming story.
Where did you see those poster

All these sound more like fantasize about, rather then what is actually is shown... granted some of us might have excited it with jokes and references to another anime, but these are your issues, we carry the adult discussion in another thread, respecting oversensitive people. But that said, there is absolutely nothing wrong or sexual with a 14 year old imaginary character having a shower, or 3 old brat playing a trumpet, and so on. Compare these with legal material produced for lolicons with real children and youngsters, objectifying and exploiting them, and then you might begin to understand the difference.

After all perversion is not advertised by the audience that might laugh with Oni Chichi or find mini-Hibiki and Sora cute, but by upstanding members of society that never talk about it nor watch such unrealistic staff like anime.

Quote:
My main complaint of the episode besides that though is simply that this anime is really rushed though towards its ending scenes. No transition use whatsoever.
What did you want, a foreshadowing of the parents' imminent death that would have much less impact compared to suddenly having to deal with the loss. Also it works better since they try (somewhat) to assume the 3 girls' perspective who are in shock and have a very hard time to comprehend the events.

Quote:
If you want to discuss these types of things take it to the threads themselves or to my wall.
Giving a background about your own opinion should be perfectly fine for this thread... I think
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 18:54   Link #296
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Where did you see those poster
What in the world are you talking about? I made no comments about any posters. Care to explain?

Quote:
All these sound more like fantasize about, rather then what is actually is shown... granted some of us might have excited it with jokes and references to another anime, but these are your issues, we carry the adult discussion in another thread, respecting oversensitive people. But that said, there is absolutely nothing wrong or sexual with a 14 year old imaginary character having a shower, or 3 old brat playing a trumpet, and so on. Compare these with legal material produced for lolicons with real children and youngsters, objectifying and exploiting them, and then you might begin to understand the difference.
Again what are you even talking about here? I'm talking about the creators of this show. What other members in the audience think is not the contention in question? I am not levying any personal attacks again people's tastes here, what I am doing is calling into question the creator's intentions and how well different aspects of the show even mix.

Quote:
What did you want, a foreshadowing of the parents' imminent death that would have much less impact compared to suddenly having to deal with the loss. Also it works better since they try (somewhat) to assume the 3 girls' perspective who are in shock and have a very hard time to comprehend the events.
Read my posts please. Is it too much to ask?

I stated that what I wanted is not foreshadowing, but TRANSITION. One moment we hear about the accident happening on his TV and phone as he is asleep. Next moment we're suddenly at the funeral scene. We didn't get to see how the characters reacted to the news when they first got it, how he as their uncle decided to break the news to them, how the girls first reacted to it, absolutely nothing! These scenes would have been great to show, to illustrate and explore the dramatic crisis at hand, but they just jumped from one scene to the next without anything. Impact is most certainly lost here because of this, especially when the scene was just crammed haphazardly at the end of the episode (Besides some reality checks for the show in question).

Quote:
Giving a background about your own opinion should be perfectly fine for this thread... I think
Uh no. First of all, I hardly think those shows are related, but more importantly... It's just an attempt at an ad hominem attack. Instead of addressing the points I'm making on the show here in question, you are trying illustrate some sort of hypocrisy on my part to invalidate everything I said. In the end you made no argument against the comments in question, but against my character, and the consistency of my own opinion.

If you want to talk about how my views are held consistently in the shows I watch and love, you're welcome to discuss it with me in VM/PM, but those things are utterly irrelevant to the topic and discussion at hand.
Old 2012-01-18, 19:00   Link #297
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

since they are described as "missing" and not "confirmed dead," I'm hoping the parents have a turn of events like Cast Away with Tom Hanks, and eventually do come back...
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 19:11   Link #298
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
How do you know this is their actual intent? Fanservice does not equate to sexual object.

Quote:
Sex posters? WTH!?! Sex posters where!?!

Quote:
The intent here, as a reader of the LN and manga knows, is to slap you in the face that the girls' parents suddenly either died or gone missing.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 19:45   Link #299
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Actually, the anime from last year we should be comparing this show to is not the superb Usagi Drop, but instead comparison should be made to Astarotte no Omocha, a show which juggled 'heartwarming and bittersweet family issues' with 'insanely dodgy premise', so every time you were lulled into a false sense of security and thinking "Awwww, isn't that cute" they'd throw in a reminder of that basic premise again to creep you out.
Reading this discussion, I was thinking of Astarotte no Omocha as well, though personally I still liked that show overall, and the "dodgy side" really didn't bother me very much given the way it was played and how the elements were balanced.

All in all, I would just say that I think it's pointless to debate the fanservice question. To the people who are bothered by it, it will be an issue simply by virtue of being there (no matter how small the quantity), and no amount of discussion or rationalization is going to change that. This is especially true of people who believe that others should be as morally-outraged as they are about it (or that "anime would be better" without it). For the people who just aren't bothered by it that much, it's better to just let people who are bothered by it get it out of their system now. At a certain point, as long as the show continues to contain the same balance of elements, complaining about this one element will become redundant and tired, since it will be just part of what the show is. But more time may be needed for the balance of the elements to become more clear so that people can decide if this is a show they want to invest their time in or not.

So I'm not telling people to stop debating this point, but just saying that I don't think a single person is ever going to be convinced to either be upset or not be upset by this sort of fanservice just by reading posts on a forum. It's something that either bothers you or it doesn't. Most of the people posting their opinion just want to be heard and for other people who feel the same way to affirm their point of view. Debating it is pointless.
Old 2012-01-18, 20:26   Link #300
KLGChaos
The Shermain

After reading the first few chapters of the manga, which takes place after the disappearance, it was really nice to see what lead up to it. It was really well-done and the characters are great. Not a fan of the 10 year old fan service and I'm definitely a Yuuta-Raika fan, as Sora's only 14, but I can deal with it as long it's not a main focus of the anime and long as Yuuta doesn't start have sexual fantasies about the kids. Then it goes into a territory I don't want to be in. :P

Tags
light novel adaptation, romantic comedy, shounen