AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-14, 16:03   Link #821
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Uhh, you do realise this is the final stage right? Gon already passed.

"idiot" might be harsh, but that's what he is. Yeah he has a good head on his shoulders, but it's not his insight that I'm on about, it's his decision-making skills. He pretty much doesn't have any. Life or death decisions are absolutely meaningless to the guy when he's so focused on achieving his goal. This is a repeating trend, and the story really shows no sign of improving for a LONG time.

That being said, I don't see that as a bad thing. The lead character simply has one giant deadly character flaw. There's nothing wrong with that.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 17:25   Link #822
kitten320

^What is wrong is that he is the main chara and no matter how stupid he will be, everything will go fine for him =/
Old 2012-02-14, 18:50   Link #823
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
^What is wrong is that he is the main chara and no matter how stupid he will be, everything will go fine for him =/
Yea...sure....
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 19:31   Link #824
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Leorio and Kurapika were going to step in. Kurpika went red-eyed at the idea that Hanzo was going to cut Gon's legs off, but that was always a bluff and once Gon called it, I think the two of them realized that whatever happened, Gon wouldn't want them to interfere.
It may have been kinda a bluff (or Hanzo thinking Gon would just give up if it came to that, so he could be treated), but there is all kinds of damage one can do without killing the other, and I'm pretty sure Hanzo knows a handful of them.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 20:28   Link #825
Clarste
Human

I can't see Kurapica or Leorio as the kinds of people who would respect Gon's wishes over his life. If they truly thought he was going to die for his goals, or be seriously crippled, they would surely step in.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 20:30   Link #826
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
Yea...sure....
Don't believe me? I bet that just in few days/weeks he will kick Hisokas ass even though he doesn't even stand close to Killua's and Hanzo's level now.
And let's face it, if Gon was not a main hero, Hanzo would 98% trashed him.

If Gon wasn't main hero, Hisoka would have killed him in the forest and maybe even way before that.

If Gon wasn't a main hero, judges would not favor him so much.

If Gon wasn't the main hero, he wouldn't be liked by Hisoka so much.

This list can really go on. And not just for Gon but for any main hero out there in any show. The only real exception is Edward Elric and drama heroes, not action heroes.

If Gon will ever be in a situation where chances for survival are 0.000001%, he will survive.

That's how it always worked, works and will continue to work with any main hero/heroine. And that's why I never give a damn about them, they don't deserve even a penny of my worry because everything will end well for them in the end.

Though drama, mystery and horror genres are different.
Old 2012-02-14, 21:03   Link #827
leokiko

I meant during the series. Do you really think he will keep being like this? Although he will obviously survive, because he is the freaking MC, It's not like everyone will be nice to him like on the Hunter Exam. The previous arc on the manga proved that...oh so much.

Hanzo made the right decision there. It was beyond obvious Gon wasn't going to give up, since he spent 3 hours beating him up. Even if Hanzo trashed him, Gon wouldn't give up either, EVEN if it meant screwing himself up, and Hanzo KNEW that. Also, do you really think ANYONE would torture a kid for hours when one is confident in his strenght to win an next battle with an WEAKER opponent?
Old 2012-02-14, 21:22   Link #828
kitten320

^For the majority of time, yeh I do. I duno what is happening in manga, never read it.

As I said, Gon is lucky that Hanzo was a wise and nice person.
Old 2012-02-14, 21:33   Link #829
leokiko

Quote:
^For the majority of time, yeh I do. I duno what is happening in manga, never read it.

As I said, Gon is lucky that Hanzo was a wise and nice person.
Yea, you shouldn't read it since following this anime is way better if you don't know what will happen, specially in latter arcs

Sure he was lucky, but Gon wasn't stupid in my opinion.
Old 2012-02-14, 23:30   Link #830
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Quote:
Don't believe me? I bet that just in few days/weeks he will kick Hisokas ass even though he doesn't even stand close to Killua's and Hanzo's level now.
And let's face it, if Gon was not a main hero, Hanzo would 98% trashed him.

If Gon wasn't main hero, Hisoka would have killed him in the forest and maybe even way before that.

If Gon wasn't a main hero, judges would not favor him so much.

If Gon wasn't the main hero, he wouldn't be liked by Hisoka so much.

This list can really go on. And not just for Gon but for any main hero out there in any show. The only real exception is Edward Elric and drama heroes, not action heroes.

If Gon will ever be in a situation where chances for survival are 0.000001%, he will survive.

That's how it always worked, works and will continue to work with any main hero/heroine. And that's why I never give a damn about them, they don't deserve even a penny of my worry because everything will end well for them in the end.

Though drama, mystery and horror genres are different.
So my question to you is... why are you still here?

Gon isn't my favorite character in the show, but he's still okay in my book. I stuck around in the original because I wanted to see Kurapica's story unfold, and was glad that I did. If you're getting mad about what happened, save yourself the trouble, cause the main character isn't gonna change.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 09:03   Link #831
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
I think Kenshin is just as exceptionnal as Edward, right ?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 11:35   Link #832
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Really, this series can sometimes be viewed as a deconstruction of the Shonen Fighting genre.
Old 2012-02-15, 12:23   Link #833
ookamigirl

Interesting final phase.
The choice of opponents for our group will make the fights really interesting.
Gon was pretty stubborn... totally not for his own good.
Great episode!

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 16:53   Link #834
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

At least you agree that it was well-written.
Old 2012-02-15, 17:04   Link #835
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
At least you agree that it was well-written.
Misunderstand. I only mean well written in sense he did a good job explaining everything.

As in no plot holes that I can think of or questions I have on how something works or why. Not that i thought it was good or liked it at all. Big difference.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 17:45   Link #836
nellA

There's so much manga talk in here. Some of it is so far into the future that it wasn't even covered in the 92 episodes of the old anime version.
nellA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 17:47   Link #837
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Was just thinking about the bracket, was Leorio the lowest rank? Like he has the least amount of chances? If he did that would be pretty funny, since it proves that he really hasn't done much at all. I like him, but i'm waiting to see what he's really capable of.
Old 2012-02-15, 20:41   Link #838
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Was just thinking about the bracket, was Leorio the lowest rank? Like he has the least amount of chances? If he did that would be pretty funny, since it proves that he really hasn't done much at all. I like him, but i'm waiting to see what he's really capable of.
It does look that way. Of course not shocking at all. He needed help to prevent his tag from being stolen in the first place and then Gon got the tag he needed to grab and gave it to him. I'm sure if it was possible to only give him once chance it might have happened .

Leorio is a likable guy so hopefully this 'tournament' gives him a chance to prove himself.
Old 2012-02-15, 21:08   Link #839
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Apprently everyone has forgotten this is the anime thread and our Spoiler Policy forbids the discussion of future events even under tags. Any further spoilers will be met with a warning/infractions.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 03:37   Link #840
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. It was just a bit too 'easy' to go into that topic. :$

Tags
action, shounen