AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

View Poll Results: Ouran Host Club Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 147 45.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 100 31.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 53 16.51%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 4.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.31%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.31%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.62%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-09-25, 13:55   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Ouran Host Club Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire 26 episodes of Ouran Host Club ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, speculation on a second season, etc., etc…

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.

• Characters/Character Design
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.
And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Adaptation from Novels: 1-10
Editing: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 19:21   Link #2
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ok Im gonna rate the series as a whole. I gave it a 9/10, I wanted to do a 9.5 but that wasnt in the poll. Honestly I love this series, I was alittle taken back when a friend of mine suggested a watch it since Im not really into shojo romance comedy. But I was hooked after epi 1. This is the first series I actually d/led the raw first when it came out and I dont understand japanese, but I just couldnt wait. Id stare at my screen like a love-struck teenager watching Tamaki XD Ouran jumped into my top 5 anime list faster then any other anime. Its number 2.

I think this series played the perfect combination of comedy and drama. All the characters had their own little quirks (even Mori XD). I think BONES did a great job from the manga. I have no real complaints about adaptation except for epi 13 which was Haruhi in Wonderland. I get that they wanted to make it a drama epi but I think the manga did it better. That was the only epi out of 26 that I really didnt like.

The aspect of the show I didnt like....Renge. She and epi 13 were the main reasons I didnt vote a perfect 10. I thought she was overused, the high-powered was funny for like 2 epis and then it got boring. I did like her a bit better in 22 with the glasses watching Bossanova-kun.

Character design was nearly perfect, Tamaki over-acting over small things, Kyou the shadow king, Hikaru and Kaoru who I believe that the best character development over the entire series, they started as twins but grew to alot more, thanks to Haruhi. Even Mori and Honey had decent development, kinda hard when the series revolves mostly around Haruhi x Tamaki XD

I feel like Ive rambled...honestly Ill miss d/ling this series every week and Ill just hope and pray for a season 2 ^^
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 02:26   Link #3
Avacado Burger
Senpai, we musn't!!!

10/10

Oh, how I have been waiting so long for an anime like this to come along and punch me in the jaw, awestruck and awaiting more. Every minute of watching this series was worth my time.

Watching the first episode, I was hooked. The art style was bold with a vibrant palette that was blended in with classical music that fit the atmosphere perfectly. Visually, Ouran was gorgeous. BONES did yet another great job.

Normally I shy away from shojo and their throngs of effeminate looking men like the plague, but in Ouran, the whole shojo element is downplayed in favor of humor, which I found rather comforting. The humor wasn't lame puns that seem to be afflicting most anime today; the humor in Ouran is laugh out loud funny, accented with facial expressions, caption boxes pointing out the seemingly obvious, and wonderful voice acting.

I'm seriously going to miss downloading Ouran every week. This anime is leaving a huge void that may take years to fill.
Avacado Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 20:53   Link #4
kamikazex

10/10 im so baised
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 08:38   Link #5
hakasan

Gave 10. I love it to bits and I'm not afraid to show it!!!!
Animation quality was really good and Bones paid a lot of attention to details.
Story was good. I know a lot of people out there think they have changed the manga so much, but you have to admit, in cases for anime, in order fit like 26 episodes and with the manga still ongoing. What can u expect? That's why I think they have done an absolutely fabulous job with the storyline and tied it off beautifully. Haruhi was the heroine of this series thru and thru, she was the one that went to get back the 'prince' in the end and not vice versa.
Music was of a great selection, it was timed and placed at the right parts thru out the series.

I will miss this series so much... I just have to watch the 26 episodes over and over and over again and again and again! Hahahah
hakasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 20:00   Link #6
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Gave it a 10 of course one of the best comedies i have watched in a long time. I was surprised to see that it kept me laughing through 26 episodes that is very rare indeed. I think Host clubs best strenght came from the writing. Humore and good dialog like that dont come along everyday. Haruhi was outstanding as a charcter her straight forwardness and cynical humore were a riot. I am going to miss the series i dont really see a season 2 or OVA in the future besides why ruin a good thing(hint hint school rumbe)
Old 2006-09-30, 08:25   Link #7
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
For me, Ouran doesn't hit anywhere close to top 5 on my list like Haruhi Suzumiya did this year. My top 5 list had not changed for 2 years until Suzumiya.

Animation Quality/Art 9/10
Very very good timing. The art is a lot simpler and not as detailed but I think timing had a lot to do with the comedy. As a uni student studying animation, I'm happy to see it used very well.

Voice Actors 8/10
Good acting for most of the time. The voices suit, especially Tamaki.

Script/Story 6/10
I suppose it's a simple story, but right down to the basics, there's just not much to it. Script wise, some bits were good, other bits I thought the lines were all over the place - then again, this sort of reflects how the manga is written, let alone shoujo style. Unfortunately script can determine the strength of a series and this is where Ouran falls.

I rated it 8 although I'd probably give it 7.5.

It's kind of like the new generation's Rich-School shoujo story - like Hana Yori Dango - a lot more light-hearted though. =) And the ending wasn't too bad. It wasn't spectacular for me but it wasn't terrible either.
katakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 11:02   Link #8
Busaiku Chama
爆発

10/10.
Best anime this year (well, so far).
I loved the characters, the comedy, the art, the music, and the various plots.
Became one of my favorites after seeing the 2nd episode.
I've been watching it since it debuted, thinking it was a shounen-ai, and absolutely fell in love with it.
My favorite anime since Azumanga Daioh.
I've read some of the manga, and I just don't prefer that as much. The art style is kind of crazy in it, but the style in the anime works really well.
Overall, awesome, awesome series.

Last edited by Busaiku Chama; 2006-10-01 at 09:39.
Busaiku Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 15:29   Link #9
moniiku

Loved it soooo much. I was pretty much obsessed with it. I can't believe they only have 26 episodes though. I want it to continue. I'm hoping more will come out or a movie or something cause I really love this anime to bits!
moniiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 16:31   Link #10
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Animation ~ really good...the drawing style is different but beautiful and the exaggarated face expressions really hit my funny spot 10/10

Voice/music ~ again great every thing went well and no complaints 10/10

Script/Story ~ the story on the whole was good (especially the end) but flaws were that there are too many pointless flashbacks and fillers that do not fit in wht each ep so 8/10

total: high 9 and close 10
loved this series and had a really fun time watching everything unfold ^_^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 17:07   Link #11
rpgman1

Really great series overall. Gave it a 9 out of 10. Wish it would've continued but I have to read the manga.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 17:36   Link #12
mit7059

Hmm, I went with 8/10, it was fun, but not groundbreaking and a lot of the middle episodes were sub par, especially all of the twins episodes. I'd put money on a Season 2 simply because of all of the unanswered questions, such as the HaruhixHikaru relationship, or the allusion to the proposed KyouyaxHaruhi wedding, with the format that this show is in they could easily come up with a second season, and depending on what the ratings are like in Japan I wouldn't be surprised if they did make a second season.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 11:16   Link #13
defe007

10/10!! I really loved this series, one of my favorites all time. It was a perfect blend of comedy, romance, and some drama. Highly recommend it to everyone
defe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 17:58   Link #14
PsychItsMike

Send a message via AIM to PsychItsMike
9.8/10 not a 10 because some parts got annoying. It was like all the funny parts of Honey & Clover but for the full episode. Loved it like none other!
PsychItsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 22:13   Link #15
xiaoxue

i like this alot. esp the last part 26 kind of sweet at the ending xD

I give this perfect xD
xiaoxue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 22:53   Link #16
misakichii

i haven't exactly finish the whole series but i heard about the rest of it. though i definitely will finish it. it's just too awsome to not finish it off. hrmms...kinda disappointed that haruhi and tamaki didn't fall in love. they were my HOPES & DREAMS & LIGHT. it's too bad that didn't happen. but hey, i still love anime. but because my two favorite character didn't fall in love i rated it a 9/10. i really don't care if anyone thinks that this is unreasonable but it just really disappointed me. but overall i love this serie. i'm really looking forward to the 2nd season.
misakichii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 13:37   Link #17
ryaken

Send a message via MSN to ryaken
Leaned towards 10/10 but went with 9. Though its probably a 10 if some of the eps were excluded. This was light and feel good, but it was done exceptionally well. There wasn't a continuous plotline, so each episode varied and the series was based mainly around character interaction.
The last two episodes were the strongest. 25-26 accomplished a clear, touching end, but didn't bring the fictional story to a close, which is a nice way to break from a season when there is still more material to have worked with.
Another season? It's possible but they will need more manga to make it happen. I wouldn't see this being another 26 episodes, but it is possible since Haruhi still had a couple hears left at the school. Who know? oh well it was fun
ryaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 00:34   Link #18
Kyomi
What do I know?

Quite good, I'm not too good with that "on/10 ranking" so I won't give it any.

While going against the post above, I didn't find a continuous plot, but more something about learning as much as posible from each character, and so done in a interesting way, I never found a show with "character focused" episodes that entertaining.

As for the characters, I found them just amazing, quite a concept to put such an unwilling main like Haruhi, altho no matter how I see it, I would find the characters just a bit too weird to start getting involved in a relationship {That "lord" is just way too dumb -_-; I hope he dosen't get with Haruhi}

Mah, I'm a Hikaru fan anyways, for some reason one would probably eliminate the twins since they would be showing more like background charaters, but they made it realy nice by focussing on them as far as I am concerned (Not to mention it would work quite well in a sequel as to see the twins starting to grow their on paths.)
Kyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 03:58   Link #19
Pakxenon
popcorn

9/10

Comedy worked. Character backgrounds very fleshed out. Cynical but honest lead heroine. One of the two Haruhis.
Pakxenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 05:27   Link #20
katsumi
ghostly member

Thumbs up

I've been deciding between 9 and ten, but finally gave it a 10 because of the rather open ending (hey, I was a Kyouya-fan from the beginning, so... )

The animation, the characters, voice acting and the slight sarcastic side notes concerning the genre just were the perfect mix for me. There sure were episodes which didn't work that well all the series long, but my overall impression was really excellent.

This was among my top five favourite anime this year - so far - and I was a little sad after the last episode aired, but anyway I still have to catch up with the manga
katsumi is offline   Reply With Quote