AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.34%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.39%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.43%
Infinity 84 26.75%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 184 58.60%
Northern Cross 150 47.77%
Anata no Oto 55 17.52%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.11%
Yousei 98 31.21%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.20%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.55%
Lion 165 52.55%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.46%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.61%
Neko Nikki 20 6.37%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.17%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.71%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.61%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.03%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 24.84%
Aimo OC 52 16.56%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-10, 10:42   Link #2561
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I just bought the album today, and I'm loving it. "dSHOODYSTAb" (or whatever the title is meant to be) ...
Well May'n posted in her blog that it's really dShooting Starb. I guessed right when I first read it, and I find that to be a bit... geeky

I like Hoshi Kira the best out of the lot.
mike_s_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 11:11   Link #2562
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Well May'n posted in her blog that it's really dShooting Starb. I guessed right when I first read it, and I find that to be a bit... geeky

I like Hoshi Kira the best out of the lot.
I figured it was meant to sound like "shooting star" (it certainly does in the song itself), but yeah...it's nice to get May'n's confirmation.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 11:24   Link #2563
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

*sigh* 17 songs, and only "The end of Triangle" was decent for me.

Guess its time to abandon any hope for any new rendition of "Triangular" . Why did I even bother...
Old 2011-03-10, 13:38   Link #2564
triangler_fans1
MAMEGU fan

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
*sigh* 17 songs, and only "The end of Triangle" was decent for me.

Guess its time to abandon any hope for any new rendition of "Triangular" . Why did I even bother...
yes, because is the end of triangle/triangular.
triangler_fans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 14:11   Link #2565
Thess

Kinkan no Elixir was weird first, but it sounds better when you listen to it a second time. I like it now.

Other than that I also agree bshootingstard is a lovely song!

My favorites are still Star Sparkle, the new Diamond Crevasse, Ai kun and I and the Open Ranka song (with bshootingstard and sayonara no tsubasa).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 18:35   Link #2566
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

So the version of Northern Cross in the new Nyan Nyan medley sounds epic. For those who saw the movie, was the scene featuring that part of the song just as awesome?
Old 2011-03-10, 21:00   Link #2567
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth View Post
So the version of Northern Cross in the new Nyan Nyan medley sounds epic. For those who saw the movie, was the scene featuring that part of the song just as awesome?
Oh come on...a "Nyan Nyan medley"? Shouldn't it be obvious where in the movie it appears?
Old 2011-03-10, 22:06   Link #2568
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Quote:
Oh come on...a "Nyan Nyan medley"? Shouldn't it be obvious where in the movie it appears?
^ Not a "where" it appears, but how awesome was the scene was when it did. XD

I ask too because I absolutely love that Northern Cross version and hope it was used in an equally awesome scene.
MichiNekoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:52   Link #2569
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post
^ Not a "where" it appears, but how awesome was the scene was when it did. XD

I ask too because I absolutely love that Northern Cross version and hope it was used in an equally awesome scene.
Everything's happening really quick at that point...but yeah, the whole thing's pretty damn great.
Old 2011-03-11, 01:40   Link #2570
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

All the songs are amazing! I loved them all!

Kindan no Elixir: Hm, this one - for me - reminded me of Universal Bunny. It had that sort of "sexy" appeal to it. So I assumed I was listening to a renovated version of said song until I heard the lyrics. Overall, it's my favorite techo May'n song.

The isle of Mayan: Um, am I the only one thinking of Macross Zero with the title? But it was a sweet melody.

Niji-Iro Kuma Kuma: My favorite Ranka song, ever! No doubts about it! I love her voice and how "magical girl" style it sounds. It gives her that innocence from the series back. The first few seconds... not so much, but once she starts the lyrics, it's amazing. I have it on repeat!

Koi wa Dogfight: This one is long! Why is every Macross song (almost) about or almost 5mins long? If not longer. But it's a good song. Funny and a good thing for the ears if you're bored or feeling down. One of Ranka's better songs.

Ai-kun to Watashi: Beautiful. I always loved Ai-kun, so when I saw this track, I immediately listened to it. I feel like crying. At least Ai-kun is still there to love Ranka
Spoiler for question about Ai-kun:

Seiken Hikou: This one combines both versions, Seiken Hikou and Seiken Eve. Both were amazing and I was blown away. And the vocals were amazing.
Spoiler for question for Raile or Yot-chan:

Get on it~Kousouku Climax: The fully Japanese version of Get On It. I liked the first version better though. I don't know why, for I hate May'n's singing in English, but the first one seemed better. Dunno why.

Nejire Trauma: I won't lie... this one creeped me out. I felt like I was going through a graveyard at night! But once I got used to it, I pictured Nightmare on Elm Street and it was easy to say this was horror music.

Tori Aimo: Another version of Aimo! Yay! And the best one by far. It gives about half the song with just her singing, no instruments to drown her out. BTW, I'm the only one on YouTube who knows she's saying "Aimo aimo, nedel luuche, noina miria en del plotea fotomi" and "lulei luleia". How cute...

Houkago Overflow: It's the same as the single's release. But it's still so amazing. I feel sorry for Ranka though, as this song makes me cry when I think about the lyrics "after school, if we say goodbye, we might not meet again."

Wilder's (?): A whole track dedicated to the commander of SDF-Quarter? Wow...

Nyan Nyan Final Attack Frontier Greatest Hits: LOVE the new version of Northern Cross. That is the ONLY song by Sheryl besides Diamond Crevasse and Yousei that I truly liked to death. And the new, slower version of the song is so touching. I wish there was a full version.
Oh my, someone said that Sheryl would get Seiken Hikou a while back... then I notice it only appears once. Blink and you miss the "kira!" But, otherwise, Universal Bunny and Obelisk as duets was amazing. BTW, I like this version of Lion much better. In the original duet, they were fighting just so you could hear either May'n or Nakajima's voice, as May'n is louder. This one, you could hear them blending much better.
Spoiler for why is it called "greatest hits"? It is so not! They forgot...:

Sayonara no Tsubasa ~ the end of triangle: Absolute favorite duet ever, minus the pause. Honestly, if you wear headphones and that pause comes with the eerie music... your head might burst. I have to take my headphones off at that. But otherwise, it is very face paced and beautiful. I love Nakajima and May'n's voices here. And the lyrics are beautiful. It took me a while to figure out what they were saying, singing over each other like they were with "Valkyrie".

Hoshi Kira: Finally, a song by Ranka that sounds a lot like Diamond Crevasse in feel. I've never heard Ranka make a slow and sad song like this since Ao no Ether. I like the feel of this one, though. Like Diamond Crevasse, it's sad and bittersweet, yet so beautiful it makes you happy.

dShootingStarb: My... so many people screaming Sheriru. It was funny. Then the song started and I enjoyed it. I liked the flow of it.

F refrain: Hm, what to say about it? It was nice. I'll settle for that. I only listened to it once.

Diamond Crevasse ~ thank you, Frontier: Why couldn't this have been the one time they finally make a duet between Ranka and Sheryl? Well, I like this version of Diamond Crevasse just as I did the original and Shinkuu. All versions of this song, except 50/50, make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. But, I would still think that "thank you, Frontier" would apply to both girls. And since May'n, out of the two of them, got more serious songs, it would be nice to have Nakajima joining this, as Ranka is PART of the Frontier franchise. Oh well, I still love it.

Overall, the album is a 8/10 for me. I disliked how differently put the songs were, as they don't flow over very well in the order they're left in, but I guess it gives you the feel of the movie.

BTW:
Spoiler for question for Yot-chan:
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 01:45   Link #2571
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

DAMN! Just had a big earthquake here. My local area seems to be okay, though...although I heroically had to rescue a vase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Seiken Hikou: This one combines both versions, Seiken Hikou and Seiken Eve. Both were amazing and I was blown away. And the vocals were amazing.
Spoiler for question for Raile or Yot-chan:
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
BTW:
Spoiler for question for Yot-chan:
I haven't heard anything about that...not saying it's wrong, but I haven't heard it.
Old 2011-03-11, 02:10   Link #2572
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
DAMN! Just had a big earthquake here. My local area seems to be okay, though...although I heroically had to rescue a vase.
Sorry to hear about that.

Quote:
Yes.
I thought so.

Quote:
I haven't heard anything about that...not saying it's wrong, but I haven't heard it.
I see. I'll see if I can find any information on it. Someone said April 20th, but that could be wrong. I don't see anything at the Macross website about it.

Spoiler for question about Ai-kun:
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 04:53   Link #2573
magnuskn

Yeah, I am reading about the earthquake and following tsunami right now. Be safe, Yot and everybody else who is in Japan and the general region.
Old 2011-03-11, 08:36   Link #2574
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Niji-Iro Kuma Kuma: I hated this song. Seriously thought wtf and wanted to hide my head and never come out again. I'm sure the stage animation was pretty but the song creeps me out too much.

Kindan no Elixir: Actually...really like it. Mostly because the style was so different from most of the Sheryl songs that were made so far. It's also for once a song I liked from the very first listen o.o

Koi wa Dogfight: It's by far my favorite Ranka song in...ever, but I sort of knew that was going to be the case since the full was out ages ago.

Seikan Hikou Waste of time. It added nothing to what was already sung, other that really awkward staccato-y start up in the beginning of her song. I don't understand why this is wasting space @_@

Get on it~Kousouku Climax: I love this song, but I prefer the heavy engrish version. It was far catchier...this one just felt like they stuffed in too many syllables

Tori Aimo: Another time waster, and short too. There are only two Aimos I've liked, one being the original Tori Aimo and the other being the one with Maaya on the start up with the piano instrumental. This one was just beating an already repeatedly beaten dead horse and shitting on it for good measure.

Houkago Overflow: I...never liked this one. The instrumentals are awesome but the entire song is like something of an opening to a weird japanese sunday drama. It makes me feel so underwhelmed the moment she starts singing that I can't really take it seriously. I also don't particularly like her voice tone in this song @_@ It's a bit shrill for me.

Nyan Nyan Final Attack Frontier Greatest Hits: I actually...kind of hate this one. Watching it on the movie probably has more impact but as a standalone track it's nowhere near as well put together or even half as epic as the original medley. The northern Cross acapella was in one moment too slow, they suddenly too fast, branching into magic shoujo music, then an awkward cut into Lion that ended up being sung for FAR TOO LONG.

It does have redeeming features at the end of the song- for instance a duet Universal bunny was AWESOME. Same with the Obelisk- It makes me realize Nakajima really needs to be given more variety in her songs cause the rest seriously put me to sleep- but otherwise the whole thing really just missed for me. I understand sticking in other songs would have made it clash with the original too much but...this really wasn't a better alternative.

Sayonara no Tsubasa ~ the end of triangle: Not good, Not bad, pretty much everything expected of it was already shown in the repeated trailers. It jsut wasn't very memorable for a finale song...

Hoshi Kira: ...It wasn't memorable. It basically sounds like every slow ballad nakajima sings.

dShootingStarb: Honestly...a bit weird? Sheryl + country music + raging fans and a badly mauled engrish title...
It's weird :'D

Diamond Crevasse ~ thank you, Frontier: I love all the diamond crevasse songs with exception to 50/50. That was just bubbly and weird.
I love this one especially after reading May'n's blog entry about the album...
The original was the song at the height of her career, the Empty one was sung in her despair, and this last one was that of a thankful heart. It's a romantic notion and the differences are enough for me to actually like it @_@

On the whole though I thought the album was kinda blah.
Only ones I listen to is Get it On, Koi wa Kogfight, Kidan no Elixir and Diamond Crevasse but, I tend to prefer the empty verion of that and the english version for Get it on. Underwhelming album was underwhelming :/

ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 12:24   Link #2575
Lugia_Tsuyu
Damn, I'm good!

After listening to Sayonara no Tsubasa soundtrack, I have a few things to say.

First of all, the songs are not quite as good as other soundtracks. It may have to do with lack of Sheryl's songs, 'cause I never really like Ranka's overly happy voice/songs much (even though there are some sad songs from her...it still sounded happy)

Secondly, I gotta say Nakajima Megumi aka Mamegu totally and hugely improved her singing skills. BUT I feel as if it's not her real singing voice, it sounds like she...how to put this...it sounds like she squeezes her own larynx to make it higher (especially if you compare her singing voice in this soundtrack to the old ones, and it's not about her improvement, it's about how her voice changed from clear and cute to just...really high). I wouldn't mind if she could pull it off...but she didn't. That aside, though, she now sings A LOT better than before.

May'n...I love the girl's voice, period. She's awesome.
Lugia_Tsuyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 20:24   Link #2576
Thess

Listening to the OST for a second time, I gotta say, I'm disappointed in something. They promised us more "Ranka mature songs" or something like that if IIRC and where are they? Without counting her duets with Sheryl (that are Sheryl's songs, anyway... written by her or thought for her).

Besides Hoshi Kira... I mean. And still think Sou Da Yo had a little more of adult, IMO, more wistful tune. I loved Niji-Iro Kuma Kuma to bits, because it's fun but it's not mature... Houkago Overflow, Seikan Hikou and Koi wa Dogfight don't really... display this new mature songs I had in mind. I think Songbird from Cosmic Cuune is a better example.

Dunno, I felt she was wasted musical wise when this was her chance to shine. With Megumi's improvement, it disappoints me.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-03-11, 20:56   Link #2577
Aragaki
あなたを誰より精一杯愛した

I don't really know where to post this, but if anyone is concerned,
Nakajima Megumi, May'n, and Yuuichi Nakamura are okay.
They updated their blog/twitter.
Old 2011-03-11, 21:51   Link #2578
darkplataform

The same for AyaEndo according to her blog
darkplataform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 22:19   Link #2579
wisteria233

I read the lyrics for Houkago overflow, and now I'm wondering why the heck it was sung the way it was. Its way too happy for its subject matter. Its not uplifting at all, its about a young girl who likes a guy who she knows doesn't like her back, and she probably won't be able to see again. So why does NakaMegu sound so happy when singing it?
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 22:54   Link #2580
Thess

Maybe she's just happy that she loves him. I don't know. The single cover was Ranka crying after/during the rain. The whole merry tune vs the depressing lyrics are wtf indeed.

Tags
music