AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2018-02-21, 22:09   Link #961
kampfer91
Master Eugenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
#4 It was inside the giant capsule where the failed female pilot that was sent out (and killed in episode 1). I mean, it was too big a vehicle only to carry one or two persons.
Why would they transport an important asset with a civilian transport , they would do it with a big plane , like what they did with Strelizia in ep 1 and 2 .
kampfer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 03:46   Link #962
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
To me the problem seems to be how far we're in already with no explanations. It's really hard to tell where the story wants to go because there is so much emphasis on Hiro's....um, performance issues over everything else. Sure there's a ton of hints, many not very subtle, but I was ready for Hiro to be done with this drama two episodes ago. Heck I'm still not sure it's over, considering his proclamations of why he wants to pilot. So far he's an extremely one dimensional character. They pretty much all are, and some are less.

So far this show is just....kind of there.
As for me, the show is mildly-interesting which partly thanks to the blatant innuendos and this being a mecha with some Trigger-ness in it. It’s always fun enough to follow the show weekly. As for the lack of information about the world they inhabit, I’m kinda neutral about it. I’m pretty open-minded when it comes to stories and I’m willing to follow whatever storytelling-style a showrunner employs as long as I consider it interesting and makes me want more. Sometimes not being able to tell where a story want to go is a good thing since that means the story is not predictable, but the story that we follow needs to be gradually or continuously interesting and amounts to something good/great after all is said and done.

Regarding the lack of explanations on things, well….....technically, it’s okay to withhold information early on and then gradually reveal them along the way as long as it serves the story (Shin Sekai Yori did it in a great way). We may not know what these characters are actually defending aside from their own lives and the lives of the people inside the plantations, but Evangelion also uses similar narrative in which we initially only know that the characters need to defend the Nerv HQ and Tokyo-3. Otherwise, people who live in them will be screwed. Only later in the series we find out the “whys” and “hows”. But FranXX chose the more intimate method by mostly following and focusing on a selected group of protags to uncover the mysteries of their world ala Shin Sekai Yori. Though personally, FranXX is not as suspenseful and gripping as SSY and it’s more interested in highlighting the love triangle/square and melodrama of the teenagers who don’t know about love, intimacy and many more things about life which can be pretty mundane and maybe even banal for audience especially for seasoned anime-fans.

You know, it’s kinda funny. Years ago, if you proposed me a mecha series with distinct mecha designs & Evangelion-esque visuals that will combine the storytelling of super-robot anime with SSY-esque mystery and it will be done by Trigger & A1, I def would’ve told you that the show will at least be excitingly strange, visually unique, thrilling and imaginative. Now that we actually got one in the form of FranXX, I don’t think my what-if prediction still stands aside from some sexual silliness. Plus (or in this case, minus), the mechs are basically just a mechanical version of mahou-shoujo designed so that the animators won't have too much of a hard-time animating the robot-movements and their consistency (unlike the cool and intricate 2D designs of the mechas in the Gundam franchise that definitely needs more effort to animate). The designs are made to allow loose consistency so that everything can be easier to stretch for exaggeration like the fighters in Kill la Kill. Worse still, the mecha fights themselves aren't that unique in FranXX. They're not as crazy and manic as the ones in Kill la Kill, not bonecrunchingly-brutal like in Gundam IBO & Broken Blade, not superquick intense like in Majestic Prince, Gundam 00 & Code Geass: Akito nor is it hot-blooded enough like in Gurren Lagann, Mazinger, GaoGaiGar and Getter Robo. Thus, I'm left with a lukewarm feeling so far.

It’s definitely underwhelming compared to what I expected (so far at least) but it’s still a bit amusing and somewhat enjoyable to watch. Right now, FranXX still holds my attention enough for me to follow. Here's hoping the show goes nowhere but up.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2018-02-22 at 04:21.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 03:55   Link #963
PentingWolf

PentingWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 05:42   Link #964
Funkatron
King of the Castle

Episode 7 preview via Twitter

Spoiler for spoiler:
!
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 06:46   Link #965
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post

Spoiler for spoiler:
!
So next time we get ''darling on the beach''. Oh do I see there a Goro x Ichigo moment.
Old 2018-02-22, 07:13   Link #966
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Let's hope the beach episode (if true) is gonna be bananas.

Anything other than prolonging the melodrama.
Old 2018-02-22, 07:57   Link #967
Violet
メンバー
*Author

beach episode? But I wanted to see new characters :/
Old 2018-02-22, 08:21   Link #968
ScrewySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
As for me, the show is mildly-interesting which partly thanks to the blatant innuendos and this being a mecha with some Trigger-ness in it. It’s always fun enough to follow the show weekly. As for the lack of information about the world they inhabit, I’m kinda neutral about it. I’m pretty open-minded when it comes to stories and I’m willing to follow whatever storytelling-style a showrunner employs as long as I consider it interesting and makes me want more. Sometimes not being able to tell where a story want to go is a good thing since that means the story is not predictable, but the story that we follow needs to be gradually or continuously interesting and amounts to something good/great after all is said and done.

Regarding the lack of explanations on things, well….....technically, it’s okay to withhold information early on and then gradually reveal them along the way as long as it serves the story (Shin Sekai Yori did it in a great way). We may not know what these characters are actually defending aside from their own lives and the lives of the people inside the plantations, but Evangelion also uses similar narrative in which we initially only know that the characters need to defend the Nerv HQ and Tokyo-3. Otherwise, people who live in them will be screwed. Only later in the series we find out the “whys” and “hows”. But FranXX chose the more intimate method by mostly following and focusing on a selected group of protags to uncover the mysteries of their world ala Shin Sekai Yori. Though personally, FranXX is not as suspenseful and gripping as SSY and it’s more interested in highlighting the love triangle/square and melodrama of the teenagers who don’t know about love, intimacy and many more things about life which can be pretty mundane and maybe even banal for audience especially for seasoned anime-fans.

You know, it’s kinda funny. Years ago, if you proposed me a mecha series with distinct mecha designs & Evangelion-esque visuals that will combine the storytelling of super-robot anime with SSY-esque mystery and it will be done by Trigger & A1, I def would’ve told you that the show will at least be excitingly strange, visually unique, thrilling and imaginative. Now that we actually got one in the form of FranXX, I don’t think my what-if prediction still stands aside from some sexual silliness. Plus (or in this case, minus), the mechs are basically just a mechanical version of mahou-shoujo designed so that the animators won't have too much of a hard-time animating the robot-movements and their consistency (unlike the cool and intricate 2D designs of the mechas in the Gundam franchise that definitely needs more effort to animate). The designs are made to allow loose consistency so that everything can be easier to stretch for exaggeration like the fighters in Kill la Kill. Worse still, the mecha fights themselves aren't that unique in FranXX. They're not as crazy and manic as the ones in Kill la Kill, not bonecrunchingly-brutal like in Gundam IBO & Broken Blade, not superquick intense like in Majestic Prince, Gundam 00 & Code Geass: Akito nor is it hot-blooded enough like in Gurren Lagann, Mazinger, GaoGaiGar and Getter Robo. Thus, I'm left with a lukewarm feeling so far.

It’s definitely underwhelming compared to what I expected (so far at least) but it’s still a bit amusing and somewhat enjoyable to watch. Right now, FranXX still holds my attention enough for me to follow. Here's hoping the show goes nowhere but up.
In other words, you got overhyped and are disappointed what has turned out to be a genuinely deep and nuaced show didn't live up to the hype in your mind.

and yes, if this guy can do an hour of analysis per episode, theres a lot to unpack in this show.

ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 09:16   Link #969
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewySquirrel View Post
In other words, you got overhyped and are disappointed what has turned out to be a genuinely deep and nuaced show didn't live up to the hype in your mind.
Overhyped? Not really. This is my impression back in the anticipation-thread when I first heard about the show when it was still in promotional stage:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor
Looking good so far. Other than the new LOGH, I need my fix of mecha anime now that both Gundam & Macross are still being dormant when it comes to TV series.
Does that sound overhyped? Certainly not. I only expected FranXX to entertain me as a mecha show done by Trigger/A1. No such overhype. And my third paragraph that you quoted in your post is just a "what if" scenario, not the real one. My real excitement level when FranXX was announced ranged from "moderate" to "moderately-high" as you can see in my quoted comment above.

FranXX more or less met my moderate expectation but falls a bit short of my moderately-high expectation. It's still amusing, enjoyable and sometimes I got a kick outta the innuendos and other silliness, but nothing has impressed me so far when it comes to writing and execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewySquirrel View Post
and yes, if this guy can do an hour of analysis per episode, theres a lot to unpack in this show.
A lot to unpack =/= good.

Believe me, mate. If people can make a long analysis out of a crap movie like Batman v Superman, that means people can make a long analysis of any kind of works, be it good or bad. There's a whole lot of things going on in that messy movie but they don't amount to a good film. I'm not saying that FranXX is as bad as BvS (yet). I'm just saying that a long analysis is neutral in nature. A long analysis doesn't necessarily indicate a good (or bad) feature.

But this is still early in FranXX story. So I'm obviously not judging the whole show yet. Who knows? It might get better from here.
Old 2018-02-22, 09:26   Link #970
AB079
Banned

Quote:

Spoiler for spoiler:
!
Beach episode? why?
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 09:37   Link #971
Funkatron
King of the Castle

Quote:

Spoiler for spoiler:
!
Translation via reddit:
Quote:
(Kokoro speaking)We were raised in an institution and now we live in the Bird Cage. There are so many things wedon't know. Take the sea, for example. How it actually smells, the sound of the washing waves, the fact that sea water tastes salty.All those things that we'd only seen in books and all those scenes, it was all kept intact there
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 10:44   Link #972
shadow1296

so a friend of mine brought up why he didn't like the characters, they are essentially stormtroopers and that is their current characterization, they have no other goals besides fighting klaxosuars(rebels) for the plantations(the empire) and Papa(the emperor) because they were raise since birth with nothing else believing that their only purpose in life is to pilot franxx(be stormtroopers), and he didn't think that story is interesting on its own without a character being disillusioned from the beginning, i disagree because i think that story could work if executed properly and franxx's still has 20ish episodes to do it
Old 2018-02-22, 10:48   Link #973
kampfer91
Master Eugenist

A beach episode ? REEEEEEE .

And here i hope they push the plot forward to find out what Hiro really is....
kampfer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 11:32   Link #974
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

Quote:

Spoiler for spoiler:
!
and they gave the most fan-service-y character 02 the most less revealing swimsuit.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 12:02   Link #975
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The mandatory beach episode, huh? I'm looking forward to the manga version more in this case, for obvious reasons. Yabuki has made great use of all the opportunities they've given him so far.

Anyway, with this we can see Hiro is fully healed.
Old 2018-02-22, 12:09   Link #976
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The mandatory beach episode, huh? I'm looking forward to the manga version more in this case, for obvious reasons. Yabuki has made great use of all the opportunities they've given him so far.

Here me wondering why a beach episode while we had the answer in front of us.

Last edited by Sakuratsuki; 2018-02-22 at 12:23.
Sakuratsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 12:11   Link #977
kari-no-sugata II

I'm quite happy with the series so far. I wasn't sure what they were going for with just ep 1 but by now it's clearer - there's much more stuff yet to be revealed though.

It is interesting to revisit ep 1. It felt rather generic back then. Feels less so now, to me at least - ie I rate it higher now than on its initial release. So far, the focus is clearly on the relationships between the pilot pairs: the ability for the pilot characters to achieve the things they want to depends more on their affinity with their co-pilot than their individual skills. No matter what their individual skills are, if you're not compatible with your co-pilot then you can only fail. This is dynamic as well - you can lose that affinity even after it has been proven.

I don't know if it'll continue to be the major theme going forwards, but I found it interesting - it gives the plot lots of opportunity to tie into character relationships and character developments.
kari-no-sugata II is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 12:38   Link #978
LG-MAX 2.o

Japan's Weekly Manga Rankings for Feb 12 - 18

*20,496 114,962 Darling in the FranXX Vol.1
LG-MAX 2.o is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 13:11   Link #979
Rockanime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PentingWolf View Post
Besides what I have already said before.

''The stamen has the initiative when it comes to handling, so consider whether the Pistil, who's connected to the Franxx, can keep up''
''The trust between partners has a direct influence on the handling''.

The Pistil executes the low-level "execution" part of things like managing the robot's body and systems while the Stamen executes the high-level part of things like decision making.

The stamen has the initiative but the pistil is there to support him in terms of execution. When their sync is high the FranXX seems to feel light (the pistil is supporting well) and blinding fast (see Strelizia's deflection in episodes 4 and 6), but when sync is low it feels heavy, so the pistil is not helping with the execution of what the stamen wants to do (see Delphinium's stagnation in episodes 3, 4 and 6 and Strelizia in episode 3). If Stamen wants to do something against the wishes of the Pistil it leads to a desynchronization and the movement hangs (see Argentea in episode 2).

Further simplifying the definition.
The Stamen is the pilot which is in control.
Ok perfect, Now I've understood how it works. Thanks.
Also, the comment that Ichigo made to Hiro in episode 4 already implied that all the stunts Strelitzia pulled off were done at the instigation of Hiro. Otherwise her complimenting Hiro for doing exactly what she had planned doesn't quite make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PentingWolf View Post
Strelizia's choreographies are made by Hiro. Though that should be a little obvious from how clunky and ungraceful Strelitzia was with Mitsuru.

Like I have always said, attention to detail is there.
Old 2018-02-22, 14:04   Link #980
ScrewySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

well, there's a scar or something on the left side of his chest. In remission, maybe.

Sort of a discoloration on the left side of his chest

Spoiler for Big Image from preview:
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote