AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-06-06, 20:49   Link #1
Marcus H.
Toji Affairs Secretary
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Cancellation of Nidome the Anime Series

To those who were not aware of the news, Nidome no Jinsei wo Isekai de ([New Life+] Young Again in Another World), an upcoming anime adaptation of a web and light novel series by MINE and illustrator Kabocha, has been cancelled as a result of a week-long string of controversy revolving its backstory and the posts the author made on Twitter.
  • The first announcement of the anime adaptation was made on May 21. The anime was supposed to be directed by Keitaro Motonaga and would be produced at Seven Arcs Studio. Voice cast included Toshiki Masuda, Megumi Nakajima, Kiyono Yasuno and Nanami Yamashita.
  • Nidome's author MINE was involved in a series of accusations about his anti-Chinese and anti-Korean sentiments through the posts he had made on Twitter years prior. In these tweets, he called China 虫国 (chuugoku, lit., "bug country", homophone to 中国) and Korea 姦国 (kankoku, lit., "rape country", homophone to 韓国). There were also apparently several references to the Nanking Incident in the background story of Renya, the story's main protagonist.
  • The author was made aware of the backlash and issued an apology. But it did not quell the flames. Instead, it only worsened things.
  • The same day as the apology was issued, certain figures working on the anime, like the voice cast listed above, pulled out of the project.
  • Despite MINE's intention to fix the problem by deleting his posts on Twitter, deleting his Twitter account, and pulling out the series from Shousetsuka ni Narou while he tries to revise the "poor writing" from succeeding publications, on June 6, the anime was cancelled and even Hobby Japan stopped shipments of the light novel version.

And the issue is not yet over.
Since Twitter has been discovered as a place where authors may have skeletons in the closet that others can expose, certain people have started a witch hunt for creators who may have said similar things on their Twitter accounts. There are already people caught in the mess started by the Nidome controversy, with people like Kiseki Himura (Getsuyoubi no Tawawa) and the director of Fate/Grand Order as among the first to be "exposed".

(Context: Kiseki Himura posted a scathing comment responding to a Chinese man throwing a molotov at the Japanese Embassy in South Korea back in 2012. The director of FGO is under fire for setting the latest event involving Okita Alter in 1945, the year of the end of the Pacific Theater.)

So, what are your insights about this issue? Is this China taking revenge on Japan, or it's simply a manifestation of consequences for posting "unnecessary" opinions on social media? Do you think that China's imposition of certain political and historical views in Japanese works is something to watch out for?
__________________
Have a nice talk with the Animesuki forum members on Discord! (Promise, we won't bite!) Drop me or RRW a PM for the link!

Spring 2018: Amanchu! Advance (9/12) and Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii.
Carryover from Winter 2018: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc (16/22) and Toji no Miko.
See the Toji no Miko Wiki Project in action!
Summer 2018: Hataraku Saibou (1/1c) and Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes (1/1c).


Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 34. Completed: 336. Plan to watch: 31.


Last edited by Marcus H.; 2018-06-06 at 21:12.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-06, 21:17   Link #2
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
This is another lesson in watching what you say on social media because it will be there to potentially bite you in the ass years later.

Its also the reason why I do not partake in social media.
__________________
Sig removed by Mod (xris) because at 65,726 bytes it exceeds the limits as requested in the forum rules.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-06, 21:19   Link #3
Marcus H.
Toji Affairs Secretary
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Kinda funny to see some people consider this as a kind of censorship.
What, saying shit like that was even allowed in the first place?
__________________
Have a nice talk with the Animesuki forum members on Discord! (Promise, we won't bite!) Drop me or RRW a PM for the link!

Spring 2018: Amanchu! Advance (9/12) and Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii.
Carryover from Winter 2018: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc (16/22) and Toji no Miko.
See the Toji no Miko Wiki Project in action!
Summer 2018: Hataraku Saibou (1/1c) and Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes (1/1c).


Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 34. Completed: 336. Plan to watch: 31.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-06, 21:22   Link #4
bakato
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
It's not censorship and freedom of speech doesn't protect you from public backlash.
__________________
Jcafe is up!
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-06, 22:03   Link #5
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Its not censorship.

He had every right to say what he wanted.

The publisher also has every right to no longer do business with the author for what he said.
__________________
Sig removed by Mod (xris) because at 65,726 bytes it exceeds the limits as requested in the forum rules.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 06:44   Link #6
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Why is this even considered a tragedy? I think the author brought it upon him/herself.
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 07:18   Link #7
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Why not? Macbeth brought his own ruin and that is considered tragedy.
That aside, I actually understand what you mean. I just disagree that self-inflicted disaster can't be called a tragedy.
This whole thing is already becoming a contemporary cautionary tale.

I still think it's a shame though, because I do rather like the story (though I admit I haven't even reached that far into the story yet).
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 08:42   Link #8
dragon1412
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: somewhere in Asia
Purely from law perspective - then yes. There is no problem he can say whatever he wanted; and he is also responsible for whatever come out from it. The law doesn't prosecuted him and it won't protect him either. The novel aside; that comments is clearly racism. Let's face it; the author bought this upon himself. It's just like a keyboard hero who thinks whatever he wrote on the internet is fine because no one knew him personally and there is no law against it. The public don't like it; so they won't buy; and the company pull off because of their image and profit; easy to understand.

The issues with FGO seem more like an oversight and unlucky coincidences to me rather than the same with the author of Nidome who straight up show his opinion. It more depend on the story of what happened is matter more anyway. FGO was just bad luck for landing the event in bad times.

The big lesson is don't think you can say anything you feel like just because it is the internet and learn how to speak more civil. I mean; i sincerely doubt if the author is willing to say the same thing in an actual conversation. And as a matter of fact; it is fairly questionable if the author is actually thinks that in the first place. It seem more like he said it because of some fad or it's sound cool more than it is an actual belief of him. Whatever he thinks; he still said those words and now he received the consequent; that's it/
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 11:35   Link #9
bakato
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Why not? Macbeth brought his own ruin and that is considered tragedy.
That aside, I actually understand what you mean. I just disagree that self-inflicted disaster can't be called a tragedy.
This whole thing is already becoming a contemporary cautionary tale.

I still think it's a shame though, because I do rather like the story (though I admit I haven't even reached that far into the story yet).
The difference is that Macbeth had the potential to be good.
__________________
Jcafe is up!
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 17:16   Link #10
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Iwakawa base and Chaldea
Age: 38
FGO always host live events for announcement on at least two days of the week, the week-end or wednesday. To think there is a malicious intent on FGO director's part is on the tier of tinfoil hat. I didnt even know that 6/6 was Korea Memorial Day, to us French, 6/6 is D Day anniversary. Look, I didnt even know that Germans dont celebrate the 8th of May.
If anything, there is strong chances that those who are offended are actually those who dont actually play the game. Same thing with what happened with Kancolle where we have had people saying they were "triggered" by a game where you play the commander of personified IJN ships, and that it is actually a japanese rightwing game.

I do not like how social media have become the breeding ground for vigilante mob justice. We have had a young man, Kevin, stabbed to death and the girl he was supposedly dating have given the police a description of the murderer that fired up the far right side of French twittersphere, but also some of the French population fed up with the percieved laxism of french government toward delinquents. It then turned out the young Kevin was actually caught in a trap set up by the girl who wanted her actual boyfriend to kill him. Long story short, this is the kind of story that should be warning us about what we read in social media.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 17:26   Link #11
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
The difference is that Macbeth had the potential to be good.
What, you mean racists don't have the potential to not be racists?
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 17:58   Link #12
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
A tragedy is a school shooting, or children being taken from their parents, or a natural disaster like the Guatemala volcano erupting. A racist hack writer having his career wrecked because of his proudly xenophobic and nationalist views is not a tragedy.

It is a shame - for the people who lose work because of the anime being axed. There was money spent and production work completed, and that being wasted is too bad.

Also - apologies that only happen when you get caught and are under financial peril are as convincing as celebrities blaming racist rants on booze or Ambien.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 19:30   Link #13
Marcus H.
Toji Affairs Secretary
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Don't take the thread title seriously. It was supposed to be a Star Wars reference to Darth Plagueis.
__________________
Have a nice talk with the Animesuki forum members on Discord! (Promise, we won't bite!) Drop me or RRW a PM for the link!

Spring 2018: Amanchu! Advance (9/12) and Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii.
Carryover from Winter 2018: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc (16/22) and Toji no Miko.
See the Toji no Miko Wiki Project in action!
Summer 2018: Hataraku Saibou (1/1c) and Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes (1/1c).


Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 34. Completed: 336. Plan to watch: 31.


Last edited by Marcus H.; 2018-06-08 at 05:51.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 23:38   Link #14
Archon_Wing
Plotting....
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Not here
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh, a isekai author with racist/misogynistic tendencies is now axed. Should have realized he was a dime a dozen, since it'll probably be forgotten by the end of the month. You only get one shot; haven't you listened to that Eminem song? (okay, that's not reasonable).

For better or worse.
__________________
Let us start here from Square one. No... from zero!
You do not wish to know anything. You wish only to speak.
That which you know, you ignore, because it is inconvenient.
That which you do not know, you invent.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-08, 03:30   Link #15
Cosmic Eagle
YOMOTSUHIRASAKA
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DP 原画 --> ヨハネ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
The issues with FGO seem more like an oversight and unlucky coincidences to me rather than the same with the author of Nidome who straight up show his opinion. It more depend on the story of what happened is matter more anyway. FGO was just bad luck for landing the event in bad times.
If you actually see the FGO tweet on the Guda 1945 event, you'll notice even Chinese are saying "do not lump us with these kinds of ppl." IE, much ado about nothing as usual by some people still living in a world 80+ years dead and gone. I'm quite sure when the actual event comes, the plot will involve memes and giant Nobus rather than anything even barely resembling actual world events, let alone the Pacific wars


Nidome though, good riddance.....I hope this means the industry turns away from the alpha male oretueee trope that's been plaguing it since 2010. We need more actual quality dammit. Plus the horde of testosterone and violence fuelled stories on Narou are burying the few good ones which is a real shame
__________________

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2018-06-08 at 04:19.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-08, 04:26   Link #16
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Iwakawa base and Chaldea
Age: 38
Unfortunately, as long as budding authors think that sex and violence are the marks of a "mature" work, we will keep seeing hackjobs cropping up and plaguing the landscape with stories that uses GoT-likes tropes for shock value as attempts to drag impressionable people in what are actually juvenile power trips.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-08, 09:25   Link #17
Blueknight78
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
If you actually see the FGO tweet on the Guda 1945 event, you'll notice even Chinese are saying "do not lump us with these kinds of ppl." IE, much ado about nothing as usual by some people still living in a world 80+ years dead and gone. I'm quite sure when the actual event comes, the plot will involve memes and giant Nobus rather than anything even barely resembling actual world events, let alone the Pacific wars


Nidome though, good riddance.....I hope this means the industry turns away from the alpha male oretueee trope that's been plaguing it since 2010. We need more actual quality dammit. Plus the horde of testosterone and violence fuelled stories on Narou are burying the few good ones which is a real shame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Unfortunately, as long as budding authors think that sex and violence are the marks of a "mature" work, we will keep seeing hackjobs cropping up and plaguing the landscape with stories that uses GoT-likes tropes for shock value as attempts to drag impressionable people in what are actually juvenile power trips.
well honestely the same could be said about series with "pathetic borderline gay" mcs, which are ultra shy, ultra dense or ultra childshy and ultra "hidden pervs", which make you hate then, because they keep making "accidental harems" and can't proper answer to girls feelings because it's also bad and "being male means" being even more shy tham girls nowadays.

For me being ultra sexist and being ultra coward are both bad and it plague a lot novels, specially nowadays.

Another big issue with issekais is about "aways a guy which goes to another world" and get a ultra massive power booster which make him a god from the get to go, or when it's not from the get to go, it can make the mc become strong than anyone in a insane pace, without count the fact which shomehow he is blessed with the power to make almost any girl in the serie fall for him ultra easy.

for me most isekais already have they own natural issues which are terrible troops. which exist because of wishfullfiments, which are pretty boring and make most of the series become ultra generic and in many times making the animes failing terrible because it only work for a "small minority".

i would like to have more "balanced series which more "balanced mcs which are neither ultra perve or scum peoples or neither ultra cowards/shy pervs.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic240848_1.gif:small
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-08, 09:48   Link #18
bakato
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
What, you mean racists don't have the potential to not be racists?
I meant Nidome a series was never that good so it's cancellation is no loss.
__________________
Jcafe is up!
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-08, 11:18   Link #19
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
As a Chinese, I am pretty happy to see Nidome gets shut down.
Good, very good.

BUT.

I am pretty unhappy at the whole development of the event.
Because too many Chinese mobs are pulling thingas out of proportion only because they want to play with fire.
Serious, death threats to the VAs are just out right disgusting and diridculous.
Fabricating contents in the LN to make the author is also not good.

It feels embarrassing how some of my people just simply has no class in their behavior.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-08, 13:23   Link #20
Blueknight78
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
As a Chinese, I am pretty happy to see Nidome gets shut down.
Good, very good.

BUT.

I am pretty unhappy at the whole development of the event.
Because too many Chinese mobs are pulling thingas out of proportion only because they want to play with fire.
Serious, death threats to the VAs are just out right disgusting and diridculous.
Fabricating contents in the LN to make the author is also not good.

It feels embarrassing how some of my people just simply has no class in their behavior.
well welcome to new "milenium world" where everyone have "power" behind they pcs/cel phones" and can make any crap and destroy peoples, places and maybe in a future not so far the "world" with just some words and being jerks, that is the "full freedom internet problem", words are almost on par with "physical weapons" in damage strengt.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic240848_1.gif:small
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.