AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-10, 15:57   Link #21
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Just saying, there have been several recent magazines that also showed those scenes, and they were released between Dec 26th and Jan9th.
Yes because its totally impossible to take images from the trailer itself and use them in magazines. >______>
Old 2010-01-10, 16:03   Link #22
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

My point is the magazines released way after the trailers. One of them was even titled "the 100 differences between the movie and the first season."

You can't tell me those will not be in the movie, I mean...come on. It makes it blatantly clear, lol.
Old 2010-01-10, 16:25   Link #23
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The best way to make a movie of S1 is to break it down and rebuild it from the ground up. Simply saying 'scene A B and C will be in' doesn't work, or if it does it creates a boring movie a-la Shakugan no Shana (which you really watch only because of it's ending) rebuilding it gives you a chance to change the plot in such a way that it can be rapidly told and still show new scenes. Since it was already stated, if I recall, that the movie would throw a new spot on Fate's background, I don't see how new scenes are even possible to deny.
Old 2010-01-10, 17:07   Link #24
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
New scenes in the movie are a given, I just don't have as much faith that those scenes will be completely true to what scenes we've seen from the trailer.
Old 2010-01-23, 11:11   Link #25
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Reposting Iluna's notes to here, so we can get actual movie discussion here without needing spoiler tags. These are Iluna's notes, not mine!

- Majorly the retelling of the TV series, Ep.2 and 3 removed for obvious reasons.
- Precia's backstory is deeply explored instead of just a rough broughtover from the TV series.
- Precia's incident was also explained where Precia was too busy with her research work that she never got to really give time to her precious daughter Aricia. But however one day she recieved orders from her higher up that she has to show the result of her research test although Precia objects that it's far from being stable for execution but had no choice but to execute it. That day, as what Precia expected, her experiment gone horribly wrong that emitted a strong blasting light that involved the citizens around to death, including Aricia. Since then Precia has changed completely. Created Fate as her replacement but not satisfied because she can't be the replacement no matter how she is alike. Hence drown herself in research to find a way to resurrect her daughter, hence Al-Hazard plan. It was only mentioned in the TV series, but the movie made the whole thing in visual.
- Starlight Breaker's animation is different from the TV series counterpart. In the movie, a pink orb is first gathered, where the magic around the battlefield made the aura 3x (or more) larger than usual. Next the magic circle will form around the large circle and another small orb will be formed in front of the large, and finally a one straight laser (assuming aiming at the target). Nanoha then grabs the trigger and when she fires, the small orb will shoot a straight line first, then followed by a very huge blast from the large orb. This attack decimated almost the WHOLE battlefield where she and Fate fought in.
- The first monster holds 3 Jewel Seeds and the design is different (?)
- Doesn't take long to encounter Fate. In the TV series it took them 4 monsters. But in the movie, their first encounter was from their second attempt on jewel sealing.
- Raising Heart and Bardiche sounds a lot more human rather than robotic. Raising Heart speaks a lot in the movie. Bardiche however not much
- Nanoha's family have NO speaking lines. They do appear.
- Fate does have a transformation scene in the movie, compared to the TV series where she had none.
- Fate, unlike in the TV series, mentions Aricia in a lot of scenes. First of it would in the part where Fate and Nanoha had their final showdown, which that actually distracts her from fighting.
- Fate's Thunder Plasma Shot (her ultimate attack of that time) changes, I don't remember much, but her end move ends with Fate forming a long huge thunder based spear and throws and Nanoha to pierce her
- Rynith of course plays a big backstage role in this movie. Afterall, the raising of Fate in magic skills and the creation of Bardiche is all done by her.
- Yuuno's first encounter with the Jewel Seed monster is different in location.
- Nanoha retrived 3 Jewel Seeds right at her first transformation. (18, 20, 21)
- Nanoha transformed her first time from the SKY instead of the ground
- Nanoha's first encounter with Fate is also different in location.
- Arisa and Suzuka does not have much scenes. And their first quarrel between Nanoha and Arisa was quickly brought over.
- This is not in the TV version : Raising Heart trains Nanoha THROUGH IMAGE TRAINNING (It would seem that Nanoha is daydreaming). Nanoha does that when she is in the middle of the class.
- During the scene where Arisa invites both Nanoha and Suzuka to her house to play (and met Arf in her damaged state), Arisa plays Wii. This is modified from the TV version. The game played was a game similar to Wii Sports.
- The monster they fought during Nanoha and Fate's infirating on Precia's hideout during the final phase of the movie was changed. Don't be Long was played during the phrase.
- Nanoha actually suffers major damage and actually bleeds during her first encounter with Fate. This shows how Fate was much crueler than her TV version counterpart before Nanoha BEFRIENDED her.
- Phantom Minds was played during the credits roll.

Now my thoughts:
Sounds pretty much what I was expecting. The TV series condensed, fights and confrontations enhanced, with more exploration into Fate and Precia's backstory. Nothing much majorly changed from the TV series, though, as far as general plot; just a ton of stuff cut to be able to fit into 2 hours. That's actually kind of a shame, as they had an opportunity here for new canon, and to really take the series off on a new tangent.

I was kind of hoping for much more to be changed. And for a movie, I actually would have preferred something new, instead of this. Still, the enhanced battle scenes will probably be most of what I watch it for, as I love a good fight.
Old 2010-01-23, 11:25   Link #26
Jimmy C

How far did you want them to take off on a new tangent?
Deviate too far and Movies 2nd and 3rd won't be A's and Strikers at all.

Last edited by Jimmy C; 2010-01-23 at 11:38.
Old 2010-01-23, 11:26   Link #27
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

So...Precia wasn't at fault. Now I feel sorry for her...
Old 2010-01-23, 11:37   Link #28
arkxkra
全力全開

wow, thax the note. Really wish to watch it.....
Old 2010-01-23, 11:47   Link #29
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
- Nanoha actually suffers major damage and actually bleeds during her first encounter with Fate. This shows how Fate was much crueler than her TV version counterpart before Nanoha BEFRIENDED her.
Is it wrong of me that I actually find this so extremely awesome when compared to how Fate was in the television series? For someone who had nothing to gain and everything to lose, Fate never seemed cruel enough for my tastes, especially to Nanoha when she was spouting her "I want to be your friend!" mantra, and somehow I never felt Nanoha grasped the full gravity of her situation. The idea that Fate actually hurts Nanoha is a very intriguing one, to me.
Old 2010-01-23, 11:55   Link #30
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Is it wrong of me that I actually find this so extremely awesome when compared to how Fate was in the television series? For someone who had nothing to gain and everything to lose, Fate never seemed cruel enough for my tastes, especially to Nanoha when she was spouting her "I want to be your friend!" mantra, and somehow I never felt Nanoha grasped the full gravity of her situation. The idea that Fate actually hurts Nanoha is a very intriguing one, to me.
I love Fate to death but just seeing her BADASS is just so FREAKING AWESOME! XD
Old 2010-01-23, 11:57   Link #31
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Well, I don't support a crueler Fate (keeping in mind she's the sad character of the series; cruel just doesn't fit, I think) but I'll have to watch it before I make any real judgment calls. But yeah, she spent most of season 1 trying not to hurt people whenever possible, and apologizing when she did.
Old 2010-01-23, 11:59   Link #32
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Maybe "cruel" wasn't the right word. I guess more... serious? Focused? Either way, I like that change. I could never really take Fate seriously when she never even left a single scratch on Nanoha.
Old 2010-01-23, 12:07   Link #33
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
How far did you want them to take off on a new tangent?
Deviate too far and Movies 2nd and 3rd won't be A's and Strikers at all.
We already have A's and Strikers, and both series most can agree are fairly decent to great. There isn't too much that can be done to improve things; maybe a slightly better final battle in A's, and a bit of development for some of the characters in Strikers (or ones that didn't even show up!), but that can't be done with a movie rehash.

But to give some examples of what I thought they could do with this movie:

They partly did this by giving Precia a more sympathetic backstory, and showing that it wasn't entirely all her fault. This gave them wiggle room to actually redeem her. Think about a situation where Nanoha helps Fate *and* Precia become a family again. I could see Precia activating the seeds, but then using all her magic to stop it. She becomes magic-less, but actually decides to become a real mother to Fate. though she'll have to do things to make up for her crimes, which means Fate will join the Bureau to help out. Sets up an interesting future plot, because Precia would know things that someone doesn't want known.

Or perhaps Nanoha, Yuuno, Arf, Chrono, and maybe Lindy all get sucked into the jewel seed disturbance. They end up at Alhazard or someplace else. Would make an interesting staging point for the next movie.

Seeing more a couple more Yuuno vs. Arf fights in the style of the new Nanoha vs. Fate fights, would have been nice (note that I'm not sure if the movie actually has any). I'm not sure how much characterization he got, but it sounds like the movie was pretty much Nanoha and Fate. Everyone else got horribly reduced or eliminated. But it might be nice to see some more rivalry between them.

Arisa and Suzuka - Hey, maybe actually give them some limited magic powers, have them discover Nanoha's secret by the end of the movie (or she tells them).

This would make A's a whole different, interesting experience.

Shipping issues - although they are only nine-years-old right now, a succession of movies can actually do something to address these as they age.

Given what I know of Iluna's list, and the TV series, this will probably be the first anime movie I watch raw. I don't even need to know what they are saying, to follow the plot very well. It's just a touched-up rehash.

To be clear, I will admit that it is a nice rehash(sort of a Director's Cut), and I will see it when I can, I'm just left with the feeling for something new. I think it might have been more interesting as a 2-part OAV of Precia and Fate's back story; that's about all that's new. We have 10 years between A's and Strikers; there has got to be some interesting movie material there.
Old 2010-01-23, 12:21   Link #34
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Raising Heart sounds more human now? My reason to watch the Nanoha series in the first place has been ruined. =\ It was the monotone mechanical voice that made me watch the series in the first place, and remains one of the two things i even like about the series, the other being the technomagic.

Ah well, I guess RH -ver. mod.- compensates for that.
Old 2010-01-23, 12:45   Link #35
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
=I was kind of hoping for much more to be changed. And for a movie, I actually would have preferred something new, instead of this. Still, the enhanced battle scenes will probably be most of what I watch it for, as I love a good fight.
Poll has been opened so you can vote now. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 2010-01-23, 13:17   Link #36
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
I always knew there would be a transformation sequence for Fate.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2010-01-23, 13:48   Link #37
qyn6

Spoiler for quote:

What about the bridge scene? did they keep that the same?
Old 2010-01-23, 14:13   Link #38
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Kind of surprised the bridge scene hasn't been mentioned, actually. But then, that probably means they didn't change it much, if at all, from how it was in the television series.
Old 2010-01-23, 15:03   Link #39
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Kind of surprised the bridge scene hasn't been mentioned, actually. But then, that probably means they didn't change it much, if at all, from how it was in the television series.
It isn't much, but...

And apparently there is a additional scene after the bridge scene, where Fate wanted to meet up with Nanoha one final time.

...And some one trolled the poll so soon. >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiantbeam
I don't particularly have a problem with it, because Fate always seemed to have that kind of determination, but Fate still has a heart at the time which is why she says "I'm sorry" at the end of that scene because she hurt Nanoha. I just hope they don't remove those lines from Fate's dialogue in the movie.

Edit: Edit: Okay, that second rating was more reasonable, but what is there to gain from rating a movie you havn't even watched yet?

Last edited by Demi.; 2010-01-23 at 15:26.
Old 2010-01-23, 15:24   Link #40
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

blargh, i just realised that my cousin "voted" for me while i was afk(note to self: next time, lock windows!!!). i'd like to say that despite my persisting cynicism, i'd vote for at least a 5. is it possible for a mod to delete a vote?