Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-01-15, 20:07   Link #4221
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
The Giants have the talent to be quite the Defense when they want to be. This really reminds me of that one run they had towards the Superbowl where the D just woke up at the end of the year and dominated through the playoffs.
Yeah, well so did the Packers. If you recall, the Packers were 5th in total defense and 2nd in turnovers forced last year. They literally had the same group this year and I don't think they lost any coaches. It's strange to see the drastic change.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 20:10   Link #4222
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Yeah, well so did the Packers. If you recall, the Packers were 5th in total defense last year. They literally had the same group last yearand I don't think they lost any coaches. It's strange to see the drastic change.
At least they were consistently bad.

With the Giants you never know which D is going to show up the good or bad. Its been like that for them the past 5 years. The giants sure love to get on a role though riding into the playoffs.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 20:12   Link #4223
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Yeah, well so did the Packers. If you recall, the Packers were 5th in total defense and 2nd in turnovers forced last year. They literally had the same group this year and I don't think they lost any coaches. It's strange to see the drastic change.
The offseason fucked up most defenses, and from the looks of it, The Packers D never really managed to find it's pace like some teams did.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 20:15   Link #4224
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Packers are sunk. Giants are going through. If there was one upset I thought would happen, this was the one.

I like this, though. For one reason. For a season that was dominated by offense, DEFENSE is rising to the occassion. The amount of turnovers the 49ers and Giants caused today unravelled powerhouse offfenses this weekend. 3 of the 4 remaining teams are defense-oriented.

Green Bay were their own worst enemies today. 3 lost fumbles and 8 dropped passes? You can't do that in the playoffs. Whatever happened to them in the leadup, it left them well off their game.

The Harbaugh Bowl is still plausible. Ravens-49ers would be my most preferred SB.

New England are in a frenzy though and Gronkowski is virtually undefendable. I think Baltimore knows if Schaub wasn't injured, Houston could have burnt them. Flacco has shown at times this year he's capable of getting it done, particularly when the opposition are higher level. Still, Baltimore has mainly green WRs and Flacco can be all over the scale. If they're going to beat New England, that OL needs to help Ray Rice go for a big day. With one of the weaker defenses in the league on offer, I can't see Rice being dormant in this one. As for New England - protect Brady, they win. Although whether Lewis and Suggs will allow that is another question. Baltimore need Reed healthy though, he was huge for them today.

As for 49ers - Giants, defense v defense. I favour the 49ers for one reason and one reason only. I don't trust the Giants WRs. There have been a number of times this year Nicks, Manningham and Beckham all go completely butterfingers at the same time and Eli needs more than Cruz to get enough points on the board. Nicks has had two big games in a row but thoese were against terrible defenses. I can't see San Francisco giving him the same freedoms. 49ers proved this week Alex Smith is not merely a game manager - he can make the plays when he has to go full throttle. And their defense has been a clinic all year. That said, New York's defense has vastly improved the last few weeks and they finally have a running game again. Sense another super game here but now that Alex Smith has shown the polish required to win big games, I can't pick against the 49ers. For them to go from the debarcle they were in the last few years to this in one season is darn good to watch. While the focus has been on Green Bay, New England and New Orleans, San Francisco have ground out wins with consistency.

Dave Dameshek is going to let it rip this week. Pittsburgh lost to Tebowmania, now the team he's been talking up all year go one and out? Baltimore making the Superbowl would be worth it for all the flak he'll cop for trashing them all year.
Old 2012-01-15, 20:19   Link #4225
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
For a season that was dominated by offense, DEFENSE is rising to the occassion.
Amen to that.

If I wanted to watch a bunch of shootout type affairs I'd watch college football. These are the pros, I want to see tough nosed hard fought football.
Old 2012-01-15, 20:21   Link #4226
Drob_QB7
AYE SIR!

Problem is will the Giants give the 49er's 6 turnovers like the Saints did.
Drob_QB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 20:22   Link #4227
Samari
World's Greatest

The NFC Championship is back in San Francisco. It's going to be a crazy week here. Green Bay got discount double checked out of the playoffs. This kind of feels good to have the Giants come here, not because of the advantage at home, but also I'm personally kind of tired of the media drooling all over these fantasy football offenses (New Orleans, Green Bay, Detroit) and forgetting about teams that have really good defenses. Should be a great game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drob_QB7 View Post
Problem is will the Giants give the 49er's 6 turnovers like the Saints did.
Didn't need six last time.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 20:27   Link #4228
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Giants @ 49ers is gonna be gewd can't wait.

I want Big Blue to win it all, but I won't have a problem if the 9ers take it.

edit: lol /sp/ on 4chan exploded
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 20:27   Link #4229
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Don't really care what you guys say, the Giants aren't 'defensive oriented'. Hot-and-cold and 27th in the league isn't defensive oriented. They also average out 5th in the league passing.

Last edited by Dilla; 2012-01-15 at 20:37.
Old 2012-01-15, 20:27   Link #4230
Drob_QB7
AYE SIR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
The NFC Championship is back in San Francisco. It's going to be a crazy week here. Green Bay got discount double checked out of the playoffs. This kind of feels good to have the Giants come here, not because of the advantage at home, but also I'm personally kind of tired of the media drooling all over these fantasy football offenses (New Orleans, Green Bay, Detroit) and forgetting about teams that have really good defenses. Should be a great game.

Didn't need six last time.
I understand that but That stiil counted as a wasted possesion for the saints mainly the goal line fumble
Drob_QB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 20:29   Link #4231
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
I expect Smith and the whole offense to play a lot better after going through such a tough last leg of that game. The offense seemed to finally wake up and hopefully the 49ers handle their offense much better throughout the entire next game instead of sporadically showing up at the beginning and end.
Old 2012-01-15, 20:34   Link #4232
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I expect Smith and the whole offense to play a lot better after going through such a tough last leg of that game. The offense seemed to finally wake up and hopefully the 49ers handle their offense much better throughout the entire next game instead of sporadically showing up at the beginning and end.
Our third down conversions are God-awful. That might screw us over. Oh and our receivers love to drop passes. Out of all the teams in the NFC though, I really didn't want to play New Orleans, even though they are a dome team and I don't have much faith in dome teams down the road. I was a little worried because of their regular season success. I'm glad they are out of the picture though.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-01-15, 20:40   Link #4233
wedora
Were-Hakutaku

Send a message via MSN to wedora
What a great weekend of football. As they say, "that's why they play the games." The single-elimination playoff system is what I love about the NFL and March Madness.
Old 2012-01-15, 20:56   Link #4234
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

*raises glass* here's to hoping the Ravens complete the trifecta and knocking the last top offense out of the season
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 21:12   Link #4235
hinakatbklyn

Giants may have their super Bowl Ring since their last playoff matchup against the 49ers, but I still remember the final play of that game back in 2003 like it was yesterday (botched field goal snap).

Should they find a way past San Francisco and reach the super bowl, they will have a super bowl rematch regardless of the opponent (Baltimore 2000-01) or New England (2007-08)
Old 2012-01-15, 21:54   Link #4236
Kristen
*Author

San Fransisco should be able to beat the Giants logically. They've had a better defense that was able to stifle the Giants earlier in this season at the same stadium. They have good defense and special teams. Their offense may finally be starting to click. They came up huge against the Saints, a team most picked them to lose to.

But this Giants team worries me. They managed to pull out that '07 Super Bowl, and Coughlin is like a post-season fiend.

It's going to be one magic story against another, and it's just gonna be a game of who loses their mana first.
Old 2012-01-15, 21:58   Link #4237
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Early season match-ups should be thrown out the door imo. Giants were heading into a 4 game losing streak at that time and the defense were at it's worse. They've gotten hot now.
Old 2012-01-16, 00:07   Link #4238
Samari
World's Greatest

I hope the 49ers go all the way. Guys like Alex Smith, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Andy Lee, and Patrick Willis have been on this team for years and have never experienced success. I would to all see them with a ring when it's all said and done. Especially Alex Smith. He has had it really rough. This city will go nuclear if the 49ers win. The streets were really crazy after last night's game.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-01-16, 02:52   Link #4239
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Quote:
I hope the 49ers go all the way. Guys like Alex Smith, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Andy Lee, and Patrick Willis have been on this team for years and have never experienced success. I would to all see them with a ring when it's all said and done. Especially Alex Smith. He has had it really rough. This city will go nuclear if the 49ers win. The streets were really crazy after last night's game.
Ed Reed needs a ring more than those guys
Old 2012-01-16, 09:56   Link #4240
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
Ed Reed needs a ring more than those guys
I concur. It'd also be nice if Ray Lewis could retire on a high note.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american football, sports