Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-19, 18:46   Link #25821
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Isn't it kinda telling that the US doesn't really seem to design that many new military issue small arms that aren't variants of existing designs. When you compare to how many new rifle designs that Springfield used to churn out, the productivity of the modern day military industrial complex in america to churn out high quality small arms doesn't seem all that impressive.
That is true.
The original semiautomatic AR-15 got retooled and became the SP-1, which became the M16, which became the M16A1, which became the M16A2, which is now the M4. Honestly, having had the chance to examine all of those at one time or another in my life, I don't think any of those weapons can compare to an M14 or even the Harrington & Richardson T48.

I wish some congress would overturn McNamara's order and restore the US armory to the government.
Old 2013-01-19, 19:07   Link #25822
flying ^

Exclamation

... a (ethnic-oriented) liberal, democrat gets a second lease on life.

Old 2013-01-19, 19:49   Link #25823
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

He did pretty well at close combat instead of just cowering but he was lucky about the delay. And then they started kicking the crap out of the perp
. Heh.
Old 2013-01-19, 20:44   Link #25824
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Incidentally how much would an M14 cost these days? With maybe a 4x or a Reflex? My dad loves that gun.
Old 2013-01-19, 21:59   Link #25825
kyp275
Meh

A sad day for baseball fans :(

First Earl Weaver, and then Stan Musial both passes away
Old 2013-01-19, 23:45   Link #25826
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Algeria ends desert siege with 23 hostages dead
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90F1JJ20130120
Quote:
Algerian troops ended a siege by Islamist militants at a gas plant in the Sahara desert where 23 hostages died, with a final assault which killed all the remaining hostage-takers.

Believed to be among the 32 dead militants was their leader, Abdul Rahman al-Nigeri, a Nigerien close to al Qaeda-linked commander Mokhtar Belmokhtar, presumed mastermind of the raid.
Old 2013-01-20, 00:21   Link #25827
killer3000ad

Son nearly dies from tetanus, parents change their mind and vaccinate their other kids
Quote:
Ian Williams is a smart guy - a scientist, an inventor, a businessman - but when it came to son Alijah's health he dismissed science and behaved like a "hippy", creating a situation where Alijah almost died.

"Blood is dripping from his mouth and he is saying 'save me daddy'," Williams told the Sunday Star-Times.

"I was holding the hand of my kid who had an arched back, the muscles could break his bones at any second, and his heart could stop."

Alijah was hospitalised with tetanus late last year; something he should have been immunised against, something Williams and his wife Linda decided not to do.

It was a painful lesson. They watched as seven-year-old Alijah spent three weeks in hospital, his body violently and painfully convulsing as tetanus attacked his nervous system. "When it came to my kid's health, I let the hippy win. I should have let the science win."

The Williams are the one in 10 parents who opt out when it comes to vaccination, not out of ignorance, but because they think they know everything. Williams said they believed they'd done their research but now admits they were out of their depth.

"Parents like us make the decision to not vaccinate on very little factual information about the actual consequences of the diseases."

He also says they fell for the myths and conspiracies that pepper the internet. The Williams downloaded information from the internet and underestimated the diseases while over-estimating the risks of the vaccine reactions. About one in one million will suffer a bad reaction to the tetanus vaccine - such as painful nerve inflammation - while Alijah had a one in 10 chance of dying from tetanus.

Alijah was discharged in a wheelchair on January 8 after 26 days in hospital. He faces a 12-month recovery including having to learn to eat and walk again.

Others have not been so lucky. A three-year-old unimmunised child died during the ongoing whooping cough epidemic last year. He should have been vaccinated by the time he was crawling.

Williams now wants Alijah to be a poster boy for immunisation, knowing his story will ignite fierce debate on the controversial issue.

They have immunised their other children and wrote to Alijah's school to warn parents who had not vaccinated.
Old 2013-01-20, 01:38   Link #25828
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well that's what happens when your trusted source for medical advice is Jenny McCarthy.
Old 2013-01-20, 05:18   Link #25829
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well that's what happens when your trusted source for medical advice is Jenny McCarthy.
What about Dr Oz.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-20, 06:05   Link #25830
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well I'm ethically obligated not to poke fun at a colleague's competence.

Jenny McCarthy, on the other hand, her medical knowledge stems from the details given to her by her plastic surgeon for her boob job.
Old 2013-01-20, 06:11   Link #25831
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well I'm ethically obligated not to poke fun at a colleague's competence.

Jenny McCarthy, on the other hand, her medical knowledge stems from the details given to her by her plastic surgeon for her boob job.
Actually, Dr Oz isn't that bad. What he gets flak for is his recommendation for pseudomeds, some of which are placebo and others which do not have been tested. He deserves some credit for his insight into alternative medicine and bad attempts to promote it.

His show is quite interesting and has some medical rationale behind it. On the other hand, Jenny McCarthy is just a promoter for Big Pharm/Med.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-20, 06:27   Link #25832
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually, Dr Oz isn't that bad. What he gets flak for is his recommendation for pseudomeds, some of which are placebo and others which do not have been tested. He deserves some credit for his insight into alternative medicine and bad attempts to promote it.
And for 5000+ open heart surgeries, apparently.
Old 2013-01-20, 06:34   Link #25833
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Dr. Oz is actually a very competent and accomplished cardiothoracic surgeon according to his biography.
Old 2013-01-20, 06:48   Link #25834
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And for 5000+ open heart surgeries, apparently.
5000+ sounds pretty much like a ridiculous claim.

I am no doctor, so how does one actually does 5000+ in a time span of like, say, 10-20 years?

Old 2013-01-20, 09:07   Link #25835
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iran hangs two men for attack posted on YouTube
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90J09620130120
Quote:
Iran hanged two men on Sunday for their role in an assault that was filmed and posted on YouTube, the Iranian Students' News Agency (ISNA) reported.
A 37-second video posted on YouTube in December and later shown on Iranian state television showed four masked men approaching the victim on motorcycles, and then two of them assaulting him, taking his bag and jacket. One of the attackers appeared to be wielding a long knife or machete
Edit: It look like than the last pub from the NRA wasn't the most ridiculous comment against gun controlfor this week:
‘Gun Appreciation Day’ chairman: Slavery wouldn’t have happened if slaves were armed
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/1...es-were-armed/

Civil Rights Leader Rep. John Lewis Responds To Limbaugh's Gun Claim: We Chose Non-Violence
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/01...onds-to/192333
Quote:
Rep. John Lewis corrected Rush Limbaugh's misrepresentation of the civil rights movement, responding to Limbaugh's suggestion that Lewis would not "have been beat upside the head" during the march to Selma if he had had a gun.

Earlier on Friday, Limbaugh had asked on his radio show, "If a lot of African-Americans back in the '60s had guns and the legal right to use them for self-defense, you think they would have needed Selma?" He continued, "If John Lewis, who says he was beat upside the head, if John Lewis had had a gun, would he have been beat upside the head on the bridge?"
Old 2013-01-20, 09:10   Link #25836
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
5000+ sounds pretty much like a ridiculous claim.

I am no doctor, so how does one actually does 5000+ in a time span of like, say, 10-20 years?
I thought he was talking about this? http://www.naturalnews.com/035226_he...gs_health.html
Old 2013-01-20, 10:09   Link #25837
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

No, Dr Oz. Different cardiothoracic surgeon.
Old 2013-01-20, 10:26   Link #25838
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Oxfam says world's rich could end poverty

Quote:
The world's 100 richest people earned enough money last year to end world extreme poverty four times over, according to a new report released by international rights group and charity Oxfam.

The $240 billion net income of the world's 100 richest billionaires would have ended poverty four times over, according to the London-based group's report released on Saturday.

The group has called on world leaders to commit to reducing inequality to the levels it was at in 1990, and to curb income extremes on both sides of the spectrum.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe...337695543.html

Old 2013-01-20, 14:47   Link #25839
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

That's a simplistic way to view it. The key determinant in poverty is not money, but materials. There is not enough material goods in the world for everyone to lead a western lifestyle, methinks. When wealthy people earn obscene amounts of money, that money is taken out of the math that determines prices in the world.

If rich people were to give all their money to the poor of the world, the end result would be for prices to rise, and people who don't recieve money to get "poorer", as there would be more money chasing the same amount of goods.
Old 2013-01-20, 20:05   Link #25840
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
That's a simplistic way to view it. The key determinant in poverty is not money, but materials. There is not enough material goods in the world for everyone to lead a western lifestyle, methinks. When wealthy people earn obscene amounts of money, that money is taken out of the math that determines prices in the world.

If rich people were to give all their money to the poor of the world, the end result would be for prices to rise, and people who don't recieve money to get "poorer", as there would be more money chasing the same amount of goods.
Quote for that. And the production cycles required to turn the materials into tools.

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international