AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2006-10-26, 07:05   Link #1
CpxAzn

Electric Guitar Recommendations?

I'm searching for my next guitar but I'm not really sure what to get. I want to play the leads and solos that you find in Japanese/Anime/Video Game music. Something like music from guilty gear or god knows/lost my music from suzumiya.
Just about most japanese music i have has a solo somewhere in between (songs from like kuribayashi minami, nana mizuki, misato aki)

i'm thinking about an ibanez but i dont know which series to get. I'm debating over the S series and RG series. I've seen people with the S series and they sound really nice. The RG series has 24 frets and has high ratings.

my price range is up to $800

what would you guys recommend?
CpxAzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 11:14   Link #2
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

I'd recommend an Epiphone Les Paul of one variety or another—they're the best sub $500 guitars around, great value for the money... Although MusiciansFriend.com has some deals on full-on Gibsons right now, a Gibson Faded SG Special for $579, or a Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany for $799. For comparison, both of those retail for nearly double that, so those would be good deals to take advantage of to get some truly great guitars.
Old 2006-10-26, 17:23   Link #3
CpxAzn

well im still saving up and im going to get the guitar around February so i guess im gona have to miss the deal
Old 2006-10-27, 04:21   Link #4
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Ah, I see. Basically, buy what you can afford, see what other guitarists say about different guitars. It also depends on what sort of music you want to play. Different guitars have different tones which may make them more or less appropriate for different types of music. For instance, you wouldn't want to try to start a metal career with a Fender Telecaster.

I'd say an Epiphone Les Paul or SG-family guitar would suit you well. They're in that $300 - $500 price range, they sound good (dual humbuckers help cancel out nasty 60 cycle electrical hum and other EMI) and play well. Plus, both have fixed bridges, which means they tend to stay in tune better than a guitar with a vintage-style tremolo bridge (a la my previous guitar, a Fender Mexistrat that went out of tune all the time and had noisy-ass pickups).
Old 2006-10-27, 06:34   Link #5
CpxAzn

well yeah, i want to play some pretty heavy rock, like Holy Orders from guilty gear, if you call it heavy rock. you can youtube it. the guy DManator on youtube inspired me to play the guitar. he uses a S series Ibanez.
a guitar with a neck that is easy to move around fast on would be nice, ill have look into the epiphones

apprently ibanezes are made for some pretty heavy rock music wih thin necks
S Series
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--IBAS520EX
RG Series
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--IBARG1570

well ill go to guitar center and try the ephiphones and the ibanezes out and see which one i like

my friend has a fender mexistrat, doesnt go out of tune all the time but sound wasnt that great

Last edited by CpxAzn; 2006-10-27 at 06:45.
Old 2006-10-27, 12:56   Link #6
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

For what you want to play, I recommend one of the Epiphone SG's. They have more treble than a Les Paul, but much more bass than a Strat, so they're very versatile and good for rock. The fingerboard radius makes it easy to play, too. I don't recommend Ibanez, because my friend has a $1,200 Steve Vai signature model and it sounds and feels just as good as non-Ibanez $500 guitar I've played. And $500 Ibanezes sound and feel like heck, so you lose no matter what.
As always, head to a music store and try stuff out. Work with the sales guy (if he's non-commission) and get his input.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 15:00   Link #7
Juan Valdez

I have a Fender Stratocaster Lone Star edition. I'm not sure Fender makes it anymore, but they have similar models like the Fat Strat. It's got the two single coils and a humbucker, so it's more versatile than a regular strat. Nice sound, but probably not quite as good as an SG or Les Paul for what you're trying to play (ie Guilty Gear tracks). A little too twangy for that.

I recommend buying used. My Strat would have been about $1100 new, but I got it used a for $550. Even though it was a couple years old it was absolutely flawless. Once you've decided on a model, go on Craigslist and see what you can find.
Juan Valdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 20:51   Link #8
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

For that $800 buy a used guitar for 5-6, low end guitars are named "low end" for a reason,
the few dings and scratches on a used guitar are well made up by the step up in
quality
if you want a thick sound, go for humbuckers,if you want a sparkling sound, go for singlecoils

buy a guitar that feels good
cramping up your hands/arms/shoulders/neck on a guitar that sounds/looks
cool really doesn't allow you to learn well

same goes for the fixed/floating bridge
I played for 5 years on floyd-equipped guitars before I got my first fixed-bridge guitar
but that doesn't change the fact thet tremoloes can be a B*tch to set up and tune

1 advantage of trem bridges is -because they add some elasticity-
you won't break your strings as quickly

use the rest of the cash you saved on a Pod (or equivalent multieffect), strings, picks and strap

Now play 'till your fingers are bleeding, your ears are aching, your parents start crying
and your neighbours call the police
Old 2006-10-27, 22:50   Link #9
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
ESP LTD EC-1000 @ $799, a sweet guitar. Plus, ESP is a Japanese company, so you can't go wrong with that (although it will probably be made in Korea).
frad113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 09:47   Link #10
CpxAzn

o yeah i forgot to tell you guys what guitar i currently have

i bought this(my first guitar) fernandes nomad deluxe in september
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...34&src=3WFRWXX

i didnt even know it was a mini/travel guitar so thats why i need a new guitar.
i want something that sounds better than this guitar

one question, if u play like your bottom E 5 times in a row fast, or i could just play the 10th fret, are your other strings suppose to vibrate also? whenever i play like god knows, all it uses is the E and B string but as im playing, all of my other strings start vibrating and make a lot of noise. could just be my gain too high

Last edited by CpxAzn; 2006-10-29 at 01:22.
Old 2006-10-30, 00:07   Link #11
CpxAzn

well i went to guitar center today, played a few epiphones but since im a nub, i cant tell the difference so i went online and got a few that i liked

epiphone_les_paul_custom_electric_guitar
epiphone_les_paul_standard_electric_guitar
epiphone_g400_sg_electric_guitar
epiphone_les_paul_black_beauty_electric_guitar
epiphone_les_paul_classic_quilt_top
gibson_les_paul_melody_maker_electric_guitar
epiphone_limited_edition_les_paul_studio_electric_ guitar_with_floyd_rose_tremolo

would be nice if someone could help me narrow down my list
Old 2006-10-30, 00:25   Link #12
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

The LP Custom is essentially the Standard with a black pickguard and different pick-ups. It's not a bad upgrade for $100, so if you're willing to spend, get it. If not, the Standard is fine.

G400's are wonderful. In fact, the SG is the only Gibson model I'll play (personal preference, though).

If you're not going to use the extra pick-up, don't get the Black Beauty. They hack out quite a bit of wood for that, and that giant hunk of wood is what makes the LP sound so sexy, so it impedes the sexiness a bit.

Quilt top LP is just that: a standard with a quilt maple top and uncovered pick-ups. It's the same price as the standard, so pick what you like.

If you want versatility, don't get the Melody Maker. It's a good guitar, but it's pretty much a one-trick-pony. It sounds like this is going to be your main axe, so you want something that'll be able to pull of more than just one or two sounds.

Personally, I hate Floyd Rose trems. They're a pain and their usefulness just doesn't quite make up for it. They like to pull the guitar out of tune every few minutes if they aren't set up perfectly. Even then, be careful. If you don't think you'll have much use for the trem, skip it.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 08:17   Link #13
CpxAzn

anybody know if the music_man_sub_1_guitar_hh? is any good?

since it has good reviews, i guess it is, so the sub 1 just replaced my choice for the epiphone sg and the ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000 just replaced the epiphone les paul for me

Last edited by CpxAzn; 2006-10-30 at 08:29.
Old 2006-11-01, 20:01   Link #14
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

I'd still go second hand or -if I really want to buy new- a step up in price from the Epi's
(Most) Epi's arent thrash (like Stagg and similar brands) but their quality still isn't
something to applaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Personally, I hate Floyd Rose trems. They're a pain and their usefulness just doesn't quite make up for it. They like to pull the guitar out of tune every few minutes if they aren't set up perfectly.
then either I can set up FR's perfectly or you had a lemon
(Even my Charvel with Wilkinson and locked tuners stays in tune)

the only FR I ever had that wouldn't keep tune was a cheap POS Ibanez with
a 1-way locking Floyd (locked at the headstock, not in the trem) for which the balls
had to stay on the string (like fender/Wilkinson trems)

Tricks with keeping FR's in tune is stretching your new strings (giving them a controlled
pull a few times before final tuning) and keeping off that back plate.
temperature is one of the few things that'll detune it, but instead of winding those
finetuners, I grab a phillips-head screwdriver and loosen/tighten the claw in the back
Old 2006-11-12, 19:21   Link #15
CpxAzn

well this guitar is gona have to last me a long time and my mom wants this to be the last guitar that i get so im going for a higher grade guitar.

i think im still gona try to go for the music man sub 1 because i hear all kinds of great thing about the guitar itself and music man.

well now i gota find myself an amp thats $200 and under, what would you guys say about these 2?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ier?sku=482275
or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...mbo?sku=481958
or unless you have others to recommend to me
Old 2006-11-12, 21:08   Link #16
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
I guess the big question is: what is our original poster currently playing.

I've found the difference between a $300-$500 guitar is subtle but as
you increase in price the quality becomes greater in its pronouncement.

I currently have three guitars, two electrics and one acoustic (I also have
a six string bass but that's a different animal).

If I'd bought these guitars at list prices, I would have spend $800 for
the acoustic, $1328 for the set-neck electric and $1800 for the neck-
thru electric. I ended up spending $550, $675 and $800 respectively.

You can search for deals and look at buying gently used instruments
instead of new to get better instruments.

Some good instruments for not a lot of coin are the mexican Fender
strats/teles, but if you want to spend more you can get the basic
USA models for around the top end of the price you're asking.

The Prestige Ibanez models are nice but they're a little more than
you want to spend, I've seen the Shecter "Diamond Series" neck-
thru models for around $700 that aren't bad - the set-neck models
without tremelo are as low as $450 and have nice figured woods.

The big trick is do you want tremelo or not? That adds to the
price as does active electronics. I'm a longtime guitarist, feel free
to PM me if you want advice on particular models.
Old 2006-11-12, 22:41   Link #17
CpxAzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
I guess the big question is: what is our original poster currently playing.
i am the original poster

and for what kind of music im trying to play

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=5exy13oy
-Most of the final fantasies especially FINAL FANTASY Ⅵ on page 3 (hes using an SG in this one)
-God Knows... <--The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
-Lost My Music <--The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG3_NkTaLWc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lWz5RoUFsaM

As for japanese solos/leads...
Crystal Energy by Kuribayashi Minami from Mai Otome
Precious Memories by Kuribayashi Minami from Kima Ga Nozomu Eien
Kimi ga sora datta by Misato Aki from Mai Hime
Innocent Starter by Nana Mizuki from Magical Girl Lyrica Nanoha (solo at the end)

As for the tremolo question,
for the guitar i want to get, look at the prices
without tremolo,
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro...sku=515025.001
with tremolo
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro...u=515006%2e001
Old 2006-11-14, 14:39   Link #18
Chronissz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpxAzn View Post
well this guitar is gona have to last me a long time and my mom wants this to be the last guitar that i get so im going for a higher grade guitar.

i think im still gona try to go for the music man sub 1 because i hear all kinds of great thing about the guitar itself and music man.

well now i gota find myself an amp thats $200 and under, what would you guys say about these 2?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ier?sku=482275
or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...mbo?sku=481958
or unless you have others to recommend to me
I think you would be better off with the Vox, Tube tone is probably going to sound alot better then that full solid state spider one. You should go to a local guitar shop and try them out, those amps are very popular and I'm sure they would have both for you to test out.
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 06:21   Link #19
Jelly
Ganbarro!!!

Not really helping with the quest for a new guitar...
but anyone know where online I can find good jpop/anime sheet music?
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote