AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-04-14, 20:59   Link #3621
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Is watching animation/films through subtitles such a turn off for this society? Do you think it is a bother? Is this why horrible dubs are put up with? What would you choose between fabulous dub/adaption or great translation?
-----------

Even though I know the language but when there is subtitles I tend to have a habit to concentrate on it, it is becoming quite a problem for me. Should I seek professional help?
Latter question is a joke... no problem...
Old 2010-04-15, 07:27   Link #3622
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
Is watching animation/films through subtitles such a turn off for this society? Do you think it is a bother? Is this why horrible dubs are put up with? What would you choose between fabulous dub/adaption or great translation?
-----------

Even though I know the language but when there is subtitles I tend to have a habit to concentrate on it, it is becoming quite a problem for me. Should I seek professional help?
Latter question is a joke... no problem...
1. It's an easy way out for people who do not have the time to learn a new language. It's perfectly normal : I watch anime for the fun of it and to see catgirls, not exactly to learn a new language.

2. No. You can dig your eyes out on your own, can't you?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 11:52   Link #3623
master_buten

Q1. Why doesn't glue, stick to the inside of the bottle?

Q2. If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we ever know?
master_buten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 12:08   Link #3624
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_buten View Post
Surprisingly, a quick check shows that no one actually knows for sure how glue works.

But the simple answer to the above:
Quote:
There are many variants of glue and there are some slight differences in the details of how they work, so we'll just talk about how glues work in general.

The first requirement is that glues must be able to creep or flow into the crevices of the two objects that are being attached together. At the microscopic level, even surfaces that appear smooth will, in general, be very rough — full of mountains and valleys and crevices. The glue has to be able to seep into these
crevices.

The second requirement is that the glue must be able to change its molecular structure so that it changes from a fluid to a solid — it must harden. There are many ways this can be achieved. Reaction with atmospheric oxygen, addition of a cross-linker, thermosetting (hardening due to an application of heat), and so on. All of these processes have the result of making the glue harden or cure.
Two things:
1)The inside of a glue container is presumably smooth. Hence, no crevices for the glue to settle in.

2) Obviously, if the glue container is kept tightly capped, the glue inside doesn't react with oxygen and, so, it doesn't cure. You can see this for yourself very easily: Just leave your can of glue open and, pretty soon, the whole tub would be unusable.

Quote:
Q2. If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we ever know?
Very simple. The same way any copy-editor suspects a word has been spelt wrong: by spotting inconsistencies. If the word is spelt one way consistently, only to be spelt another way all of a sudden, chances are, it's been spelt wrong in that instance.

It very rarely happens in dictionaries, especially those produced by Oxford, Cambridge or any other reputable brand. The quality control is obviously a lot more stringent for such an important spelling reference.

Now, if you're asking instead about how we'd ever know when to update the spelling for words, that's an entirely different matter. I presume the people who compile and produce dictionaries meet every few years or so to decide when current usage has changed the definition and spelling of words. A decision is taken by committee, and the change is made official in publication.

Words, like living things, evolve. For ordinary people, you don't really have to know how a word may have been spelt in the past. You simply need to know how it's spelt today. The study of the evolution of words is known as etymology, an esoteric subject that is of interest, I imagine, only to linguists and language historians.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 14:21   Link #3625
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
A silly question

If you hang your clothes out. Then it rains and the clothes are soaked. Would the clothes are affected much in anyway?
Unless it's a heavy rain or hail storm then surely the fabrics would be damaged, but how's about a normal shower?
Well, you might experience a not so pleasent effect then. Clothes that are too wet (e.g. spin-dryer did a bad job) or not well vented when drying can become mouldy. Thats because wet clothes are a nice place for the little smelly germs that feel more at home then... which makes them proliferate.

Now just don't ask me why I know that...

Last edited by Jinto; 2010-04-16 at 00:53.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 00:21   Link #3626
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I need help with package design . Can anyone list the brand names and products regarding face creams/moisturizers etc etc . I need to design outer packet for a Herbal Face Cream and the examples provided are bad to poor . So if anyone could list a few names I could search the box designs on Internet and get ideas . Got to finish by weekend,.

List of Product Names of Popular Face-Creams
Old 2010-04-16, 06:36   Link #3627
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_buten View Post
Chemistry : When we say that glue dries between two surfaces, it forms a bond between them when the water content from the glue evaporates, leaving behind complex bonds that hold the surfaces together.

The most likely possibility is that there isn't enough air circulation into and out of the bottle to "dry" it. Of course, there can be other possibilities such as the glue already being in its semi dry state, doesn't form a strong enough bond to stick to the surface, or the differences in the air pressure causing it to peel off if it doesn't stick at all.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-16, 12:11   Link #3628
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Circumstance = I take good care of my platforms.
Doesn't matter, me thinks.

I know 4 people who also took good care of their X-boxes and all four of them had to replace the console within the first two years after purchase. To that end, getting a new console has not been a problem and in my case, it took a bit more than a week to get a replacement for our broken console.

Newer models of the X-box could last you longer, though.

Can't really comment much on the PS3, but the internetz seem to agree about it being a much better build console.
Old 2010-04-16, 12:33   Link #3629
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Can't really comment much on the PS3, but the internetz seem to agree about it being a much better build console.
PS3 HAS NO GAMEZ!

But yeh, internet pretty much chooses PS3 over Xbox thought it all depends on what type of games you like to play
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 12:38   Link #3630
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
PS3 HAS NO GAMEZ!

But yeh, internet pretty much chooses PS3 over Xbox thought it all depends on what type of games you like to play
Meh, must games are multiplataform on these days.
Old 2010-04-16, 20:56   Link #3631
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
PS3 HAS NO GAMEZ!
Well, Arbitres question seemed to be focused on what console would last longer, so I didn't took the games themselves as a factor in my reply.
Old 2010-04-17, 13:26   Link #3632
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, I understood Daniel's comments... the PS3 is a relatively beautiful piece of hardware with no "gamez", the X-box is a piece of crappy shit with tons of popular games. This is extra odd because Microsoft actually has/had a stellar reputation for solid durable no-nonsense hardware until the X-box.

Caveat: the recent additions of X-box appear to have very quietly addressed some of the manufacture and airflow issues. We'll see if the warranty return rates drop.
Old 2010-04-17, 23:55   Link #3633
Kudryavka

M'kay, what's up with the phrase "Now Printing"? I don't get it at all, but it seems to be an equivalent to Coming Soon. How are Now Printing and Coming Soon related at all? Time it takes to print a page is totally different from time it takes for a movie to come out, no?

Do colleges in Japan use sailor uniforms like most high schools? If so, do most colleges use these uniforms?

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-04-18 at 23:41.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 00:38   Link #3634
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Closeness, I would assume. If they're printing it, that means that it is close to release, as I gather.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 17:13   Link #3635
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Meh, must games are multiplataform on these days.

*whispers* PSSST it's a meme don't take it serious
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 14:59   Link #3636
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Do colleges in Japan use sailor uniforms like most high schools? If so, do most colleges use these uniforms?
A few colleges have uniforms, many don't. More likely you'll find a "social dress code" - you're expected to conform (its not that unlike US colleges where your clique or social club defines what you wear). Some women's colleges do use the seifuku as their uniform.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_school_uniform
Old 2010-04-21, 05:17   Link #3637
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

This is silly sounding but serious question :

Is there a way to disown my parents legally? I am tired of them doing things that constantly threaten to ruin my life and yet refuse to acknowledge or take responsibility of it.

Otherwise, is there any way to circumvent the legalities of obligatory parental support other than killing them in cold blood?

Old 2010-04-21, 07:36   Link #3638
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

... ... ...

In short, no, you're out of luck. Not in Singapore. The Family Court in Singapore deals only with the following issues:
  • Adoption proceedings under the Adoption of Children Act
  • Divorce, nullity and judicial separation proceedings under Part X of the Women’s Charter
  • Guardianship, custody, care and control of and access to children under the Guardianship of Infants Act and Part X of the Women’s Charter
  • Division of matrimonial assets under Part X and section 59 of the Women’s Charter
  • Personal protection orders under Part VII of the Women’s Charter
  • Spousal and child maintenance under Parts VIII and X of the Women’s Charter
  • Enforcement of maintenance orders made by Singapore courts, the Maintenance of Parents Tribunal and the Syariah Court under section 71 and Part IX of the Women’s Charter and the Maintenance of Parents Tribunal Act
  • Reciprocal enforcement of maintenance orders made by foreign courts or tribunals under the Maintenance Orders (Facilities for Enforcement) Act and Maintenance Orders (Reciprocal Enforcement) Act

Furthermore, the court operates under "The Family Justice Model":

"The philosophy of the Family Court is to protect family obligations so that family ties may be strengthened and preserved. Family obligations refer to duties that have to be discharged by each spouse to the other, by a parent to his child, and vice versa, and by all persons to their family members.

"These include a parent's responsibility to maintain, nurture and care for his children, an adult child's duty to maintain his parent, a husband's duty to maintain his wife, and the duty of all family members to treat each other with care, concern and respect."

=========

Also, take note that under the Maintenance of Parents Act, passed in 1995, aged parents over 60, who are unable to subsist on their own, may claim maintenance from their children who are capable of supporting him or her but are not doing so.

Parents can sue their children for maintenance, in the form of monthly allowances or a lump-sum payment.

You are no more able to legally disown your parents as they are legally able to disown you — this is true at least in Singapore. Frankly, unless there is some proof of severe parental abuse — say incest, rape or paedophilia — I can't even begin to imagine the need to "disown" one's parents.

==========
ADDENDUM

While you can't legally disown your parents in Singapore, the closest thing you can get is a Personal Protection Order, issued in cases of family violence as defined by Section 64 of the Women's Charter.

Family violence can occur in the following forms:
  • Wilfully or knowingly placing, or attempting to place, a family member in fear of hurt;
  • Causing hurt to a family member by such act which is known or ought to have been known would result in hurt;
  • Wrongfully confining or restraining a family member against his will; or
  • Causing continual harassment with intent to cause or knowing that it is likely to cause anguish to a family member

A "family member" is defined in the Women's Charter as:
  • Spouse or former spouse of the person
  • Child of the person, including an adopted child and a step-child
  • Father or mother of the person
  • Father-in-law or mother-in-law of the person
  • Brother or sister of the person
  • Any other relative of the person or an incapacitated person who in the opinion of the court should, in the circumstances, in either case be regarded as a member of the family of the person

You need to go through several steps to get a Personal Protection Order. Details are available at the Ministry of Community Devleopment's (MCYS) website, and also at the Subordinate Court's website.

Along with the Protection Order, a court may also issue a (source here, Pg 20, brochure published by MCYS):
  • Domestic Exclusion Order, which grants the right of exclusive occupation of the shared residence or a specified part of the shared residence to any protected person by excluding the abuser from the shared residence or specified part
  • Counselling Order which refers the abuser or the protected person or both, or their children to attend counselling.

Failure to comply with any of the above orders constitutes a criminal offence and will be dealt with accordingly under the Penal Code.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2010-04-21 at 18:42. Reason: Added details about family violence... because you never know...
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 18:57   Link #3639
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Doesn't sound like "they're financially ruining me with their spendy habits" qualifies :P
Old 2010-04-21, 20:57   Link #3640
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
This is silly sounding but serious question :

Is there a way to disown my parents legally? I am tired of them doing things that constantly threaten to ruin my life and yet refuse to acknowledge or take responsibility of it.

Otherwise, is there any way to circumvent the legalities of obligatory parental support other than killing them in cold blood?
You're twenty-one, right? Legal age to just up and leave? I'm not saying you should just go all out and cut off contact from your folks, but leaving is an option. You don't have to let them affect you anymore, right? This is the closest I know of of disowning parents.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious