AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Favorite Couple Mai Hime / Otome
Reito X Mai 25 16.23%
Tate/Sergay X Mai 44 28.57%
Akira X Takumi 55 35.71%
Tate/Sergay X Natsuki 2 1.30%
Akane X Kazuya 9 5.84%
Reito/Rad X Shizuru 5 3.25%
Ishigami X Yukariko 0 0%
Nagi X Mashiro 7 4.55%
Takeda X Natsuki 7 4.55%
Reito/Rad X Midori 0 0%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-13, 13:37   Link #21
Lost

First, Thank You, Bloody, just what I was waiting for; a non-Shoujo-ai thread where pure love can be celebrated! (sometimes I tend to overdo it, so please forgive me advance. Btw, I'm not implying anything here.) Secondly, response to it is downright disappointing. Are so many on the board Shoujo-ai fans? What happened to good ol' male-female love? Haiz, sad.

Okay, on topic. My favourite male-female couple in Mai HiME would obviously be Akira-Takumi. Why?

First, obviously because it was the main heterosexual romance given focus in MH, yes, I am an unashamed pawn of Sunrise.

Another reason is because it was such an unlikely pairing. I dig unlikely heroes/love/stuff. I really didn’t expect Akira to be a girl, and much less for her to fall in love with Takumi. In fact, the both of them couldn’t be more different, but yet, you saw that they complemented each other perfectly.

I suppose one more important reason for me would be because its an idealized romance. Yes, much like ShizNat, AkiTa is idealized. Both are young, pretty and handsome, and under desperate circumstances.

Especially since they are under desperate circumstances; their love was born in desperate straits. As Shigan said in our sister thread, how "in the face of a impending deaththreat, I would feel very snugglish in the presence of the one I love," I kinda got that feeling from their romance. Remember how they hugged crying before Akira got defeated? For some reason I got a mushy-attack followed by a goosebump-attack at that scene. I guess in that aspect it holds much appeal to me; just knowing the existence and thinking of the possibility of such a love existing in the world today makes my heart glow. (Don’t ask me why)

Lastly, because their love was tragically cut short, and yet, at the end of the series, fulfilled. How wonderful if all the Romeos and Juliet’s in the world could be reset. Ha… bet Mister Shakespeare didn’t think of that.

Is AkiTa romance yuri and yaoi? No, of course not! Firstly, Takumi only loved Akira after he discovered she was a girl, and although yes, he has a more feminine manner, that’s because he is weak by nature, and for most of his life was raised by his sister, Mai. The fact that he is mild, soft spoken, soft hearted doesn’t make him a gay. Secondly, yes, Akira is more masculine than Takumi, because she was trained that way (by "father"? whoever that was) and she was merely keeping her gender secret. We got to see a little of her feminine side more later on in the MH series. Or maybe what you mean by yuri is the female Akira loving female side of Takumi(?) and yaoi, the male Takumi loving male side of Akira(?) Well don’t think too much.

Closely second for MH would be Akane-Kazuya. I liked how Kazuya love's for Akane was not affected at all by Akane's revelation of her powers, even in the face of implied danger and the fact that he was surprised out of his wits. It was special for me because it showed an aspect of love: that of accepting the other party as they are; loving them for just who they are (please don’t apply this to ShizNat). And so it highlighted the depth of love between the two, which just moved me very much. Hence why I was so riled when Miyu came along and did what she did.

Third would be Mai-Tate. I can remember in episode 26 very near the end when Tate protectively stood in front of Mai and screamed ‘I love Mai!!’ For a moment I kind of understood that feeling of loving someone so much that finally being able to let it out was an exhilarating rush. I actually felt that love.

I'm not the adventurous, or *coughcough* Imaginative, kind so other "experimental" couples like Reito-Shiz or Reito-Midori dun really appeal to me.

For Mai Otome, seriously I don't think much emphasis has been given to non-Shoujo-ai relationships, other than reoccurring ones of Akane-Kazuya and Akira-Takumi (even then they were brief), fleeting ones of Sergey-Rena and downright wrong ones of Sergey-Arika; Sergey-Nina. (tsk tsk, Sergey, you fox. Oh wait he is the North Hound)

Right now I really can’t think of any non-Shoujo-ai relationship in MO worthy enough to comment on. Am I missing any? The only other one I can think of would be the little palace boy proposing to Haruka in the DVD Omake... Haha that was sweet.

Old 2006-03-13, 14:09   Link #22
philip72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Are so many on the board Shoujo-ai fans? What happened to good ol' male-female love? Haiz, sad.
Heh...Heh...Dude your watching Mai Otome. Shoujo-ai is a good part of the reason most of us are interested in this show.
For most of my life I'd had absolutely no interest in seeing another guy get lucky, cartoon or not. Only recently have I become able to project onto the male lead and start enjoying hetro romance.

I've decided that after a long while of hoping that Sergei was Tate, to now hope that he isn't.
Sergei loves/loved Rena, but I want Tate to still be with Mai.
Old 2006-03-13, 16:20   Link #23
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Well, as soon as he knows that Rena can rest in peace (literally), then when Mai comes back, he won't have all that emo-baggage to deal with.
Like father, like daughter....
Old 2006-03-13, 19:53   Link #24
lana3007
stuck-up feminist

Ah, non shoujo ai couples! They really don't get enough attention! Thank you!

Let's see ... who to choose ... In Mai Hime I was cheering for Mai and Tate the entire series, and unlike half the people who watch the series I didn't hate Tate, I actually think he is a decent lone male character in a series that's so densely populated by females. But as far as Otome is concerned I really don't think Sergey is Tate. His personality is way too different, therefore I really don't want him to be with Mai. Sure sure the chances of there being a real Tate in the Otome universe and him getting introduced in the last four episodes of the series are slim, but whatever!
Old 2006-03-13, 22:14   Link #25
StellarL

takeda/natsuki for me
they know too much bout each other>_<
Old 2006-03-13, 22:30   Link #26
Bloody

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana3007
Ah, non shoujo ai couples! They really don't get enough attention! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
First, Thank You, Bloody, just what I was waiting for; a non-Shoujo-ai thread where pure love can be celebrated!
No prob , I know that theres somebody who like a couple of non-shoujo-ai (Boy X Girl) too

for me... Takumi X Akira , 2nd is Tate X Mai , then Takeda Natsuki ..... (I agree what StellarL said ... there so cute together )

hmm... no one vote at Ishigami and Yukariko ??
Old 2006-03-13, 22:53   Link #27
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody
hmm... no one vote at Ishigami and Yukariko ??
Erm that would be warped love. Very warped
Old 2006-03-14, 01:20   Link #28
Captain Picard
LUElinks Forever

Send a message via AIM to Captain Picard
I voted for NagixMashiro because of all the hilarious times they have together. Either series works, but I think the Otome pairing is funnier. Particularly the bullwhipping scene.
Old 2006-03-14, 14:01   Link #29
philip72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana3007
But as far as Otome is concerned I really don't think Sergey is Tate.
One thing I noticed too is that Otome has fairly consistently kept HiME (romantic or friendship based) couples together.
Akira is still with Takumi, Akane is still with Kazuya, Yukino's with Haruka, Natsuki’s with Shizuru, Chie hangs with Aoi (please be more), Miyu’s with avian Alyssa, Takeda and his sword, Mikoto's "mother" is still Mai, Takumi is still Mai's affectionate brother, but there is no current connection between Mai and Sergei.
He never ever references her, nor seems to acknowledge he ever knew her. That's why I think Tate is a different character and I really hope we still may see our goofy shounen hero finally get his kiss from Mai.

Plus their noses are different.
Old 2006-03-16, 15:28   Link #30
vodkakiss

Send a message via MSN to vodkakiss
lmao no one really cares XDDD
>.> moooving on...
Old 2006-03-17, 06:16   Link #31
shadowWizz

Send a message via MSN to shadowWizz
Akira and Takumi forever...

The rest just looks too weird , well with exceptions to the Mai x Tate and Akane x Kazuya ...

~ I’m always ready to learn, but I do not always like to be taught.~
Old 2006-03-17, 10:20   Link #32
friendshipz
lilian gakuen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkakiss
lmao no one really cares XDDD
>.> moooving on...

haha..we standing along the line

for my concern..only 2 male char in MH AND MO caught my slight attention..which is takumi and reito....
sergei?!?....tate?!?!.. i just hope they are gay... that would make me happier..
sry... >_>" no offence to sergei or tate fan..
Old 2006-03-17, 10:26   Link #33
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh
She's the Main Angsty Heroine and he's the Useless Shounen Retard. What's not to like?
QTF.

>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2006-03-18, 00:12   Link #34
cheenk

takedaxnatsuki

their scenes together were just great. the beach episode. haha i was literally cracking up. what if takeda was in that car when natsuki attempted to hitchhike? haha.

the rivalry b/w natsuki and sergay at first had me confused. i thougth for a moment that sunrise might have made them into a potential couple but guess not @_@ sergay has his "jail beat" harem and natsuki has shizuru... or did... before tomoe came along
Old 2006-03-28, 20:07   Link #35
IcyAngel

I really liked Mai x Reito together, such a cute couple ^^ such a shame it wasn't real...
Running up has got to be Akira x Takumi!
Old 2006-03-29, 00:27   Link #36
friendshipz
lilian gakuen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyAngel
I really liked Mai x Reito together, such a cute couple ^^ such a shame it wasn't real...
Running up has got to be Akira x Takumi!
even i have particular likeness for relationship between opposite gender..
i might also prefer to c mai x retio ^^ somehow i can imagine reito kicks away tate and snap mai away from him...
Old 2008-01-09, 21:54   Link #37
nowe1989

I actually like MaixTate couple the most. They had a lot of misunderstandings that could lead them apart forever at first but in the end, they understanded each other a lot. That's great.
Old 2008-01-09, 21:59   Link #38
Shinn_Kabuto
Ore wa Kyasshan!

Yuuichi and Mai if ya ask me. Beacuse Yuuichi is Mai's most important person.
Old 2008-01-09, 22:30   Link #39
solarknight123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinn_Kabuto View Post
Yuuichi and Mai if ya ask me. Beacuse Yuuichi is Mai's most important person.
I agree, MaiXTate is a favorite couple of mine as well. An intresting paring for me would be NatsukiXTakeda. I like ShizNat too, but i've been seeing way way too much of it and plus i'm curious to see what kind of couple they'll make. I'm sure it's a funny one Never thought of it before but now i'm intrested on what kind of couple Shizuru and Raito would make.
Old 2008-01-10, 00:43   Link #40
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

I demand a "shipping sucks" option.
Closed Thread