AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

View Poll Results: Little Busters - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 7 10.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 17.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 37.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 14.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 6.25%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 9.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-02, 11:05   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Welcome to the discussion thread for Little Busters, Episode 5.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-11-02 at 11:39.
Old 2012-11-02, 11:41   Link #2
Serphirs

Episode 5
Script: Shimada Michiru
Episode director: Matsuo Kenichi
Storyboard: Matsuzawa Kenichi
Animation director: Yasuno Masato

Curiously the animation director for this episode, never has done a "direction" before. That means, this is his debut. For me, the art looks average just like ep-2, but could have some nice "Key animated" moments, since JCstaff tends to look very good and very bad in a single chapter.

The same with Masato Kenichi (ep.director) he not even has information in ANN. xD That's worrying considering that we already are in important chapters. Could be a hit or miss.

Matsuzawa Kenichi (story) did directions to Okami-san, Moshidora, Sola, Ef: tale, but commonly just a single chapter.

In general, an average (or inexperienced) staff this week.
Old 2012-11-02, 14:33   Link #3
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serphirs View Post
Curiously the animation director for this episode, never has done a "direction" before. That means, this is his debut.
He's been animation director on a couple episodes of sengoku paradise so technically it's not his debut,not that it changes much but I figured I'd point it out anyway.
Old 2012-11-02, 15:13   Link #4
Serphirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
He's been animation director on a couple episodes of sengoku paradise so technically it's not his debut,not that it changes much but I figured I'd point it out anyway.
I am basing in the information in ANN.
So, if it didn't appear there. I wash my hands of it. xd
Old 2012-11-03, 02:10   Link #5
matrixhazard

OK, I think it's somehow looking better from the preview pic comparing to the last episode.

Better watch this first and the comment. Looking from the pic, maybe this episode will end in the point just I expected.
Old 2012-11-03, 09:36   Link #6
Jasque

It was good, nothing that I didn't expect.
Old 2012-11-03, 15:47   Link #7
tsunade666

the episode was good but it felt lacking. Specially in emotion. Its fun and cute to see Komari in their date but the scene within the rooftop to see meteor fall and the scene after the date which ended up with broken Komari is totally lacking in emotion. Specially the final scene. Lacks impact for me. It looks good but the progressions seems the problem for me or maybe how they do it. I can't explain but it lacks something for me which unlike past key works which hits the spot on your heart.
Old 2012-11-03, 16:10   Link #8
OPN

Very good episode this week. JC used some nice effects for the flashback at the end. And yeah the episode did lack something but next week should be better in that aspect.
Old 2012-11-03, 17:58   Link #9
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
They could have "broke" her better, I suppose, but I don't think I've ever seen that kind of breakdown done especially well. I had a similar reaction to Kotomi's self-destruction in Clannad.

The core of the arc's emotion should come next week. More important to me was the establishment, without embellishment, of some of the romantically-tinged scenes in the arc. They downplayed the romantic aspect without eliminating it and that's really all I can ask for in this kind of a series.

All in all, a great episode that builds my faith in this adaptation.
Old 2012-11-03, 18:43   Link #10
Serphirs

Very good episode this week. Probably the best.

I really think that this "lack" of something, you mentioned, it has indirect relation to the unwitting mental comparison with past "Key" works. It's inevitable.
At least, regardless to that, little by little I'll finding certain positive aspects in visual topics, that flashbacks at the end had some nice crayonist effect. And even better, it seems the next chapter was quite good produced, seems they really put more effort (budget) on it. Leastways the climax chapters gonna have better treatment, that is a great detail in my opinion, at least if they don't have enough budget to do twenty something chapters at superb quality like K****i, the outstanding ones must have conscientiously treatment. Talks about a good organization of the resources.

Finally, good to hear this awesome track.

If JCstaff manages to reach people hearts somewhat with the next chapters, they throw them into their pocket to the end.
Old 2012-11-03, 18:52   Link #11
tsunade666

JC staff always put their budget and time on the climax of the arc so at least I will expect something great next episode.

Indeed if JC staff manage to throw a curveball or an arrow through my heart then all problem and doubt will be washed away. Still I liked the date. Komari was extremely cute
Old 2012-11-03, 20:31   Link #12
AngryDango
I'm gonna wreck you

The anime is been pretty disappointing to me, it really lacks impact and emotion and can't set the mood. It's even boring at times. My hopes for it getting better are quickly fading.
Old 2012-11-03, 21:42   Link #13
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It's very fitting that this episode featured an unexpected thunderstorm that came out of nowhere to spoil the atmosphere, because that's much like how Komari's emotional breakdown felt to me here.

Don't get me wrong, the brother issues were certainly foreshadowed well enough, but I felt that there was just something lacking in the overall execution here.

Is it that the transition from happy-go-lucky/whimsical/lighthearted to heavy/dramatic was a bit clunky? Is it that Komari's arc is feeling rushed in general? Is it because Komari's core issue (losing a brother at a young age) is sad, but just isn't as easy to get worked up about as some of the sadder Key narratives? Is it because Komari's "Special K" nature makes it harder to take drama surrounding her seriously (speaking of which, I literally loled when Komari called herself normal)?

I'm not sure which it is, or if it's some combination of the four, but the emotional impact of the drama sections just isn't there for me in the Komari arc so far.

But again, I liked the lighthearted scenes well enough, and Komari/Riki had some nice, cute moments together. Komari is just as much like sugar to me as her voice in general is - Very endearing and likeable in small amounts, but I'd probably find it a bit nauseating in heavy, continuous quantities. So while I do like her, I'm kind of glad she's (presumably) not the main heroine here.

There's also the fact that I kind of hope that Riki is paired with someone other than Komari or Rin... because those two girls are causing my yuri goggles to swoon. Honestly, I can't remember ever seeing a female anime character blush so much over pronouncing another female anime character's name. That's usually reserved for het romances in anime, so I can't help but to find it pretty yuri here.
Old 2012-11-03, 22:15   Link #14
flack

Pretty good episode. They did a pretty good job with the scenes. If only they'd introduced the characters better and made less awkward/disjoint scenes in earlier episodes I might have felt something at the end of this episode. This episode felt underwelming for me emotionally. I probably won't feel much next episode either. They really need to work on developing the characters prior to their routes. Ah well other than that it looks like this shortage of budget will continue to the end...
Old 2012-11-03, 22:21   Link #15
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
The actual breakdown was sudden, but they're always sudden. It had a clear trigger in the cat and a buildup before that, so you could see the threads starting to fray around the edges, and it just took a little push to bring everything back.

Last edited by monir; 2012-11-03 at 23:02. Reason: Hinting
Old 2012-11-03, 22:46   Link #16
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
That seemed like the best looking episode to me so that's a nice positive and some parts were fun,enjoyed the visit to see the old guy.

Now the Komari breakdown scene,I think it would have been more effective had they shown the first part of flashbacks of her brother before she starts crying.To be more precise:have her fall to her knees but not cry yet,then use a thunderstorm to transtion into the first flashback and then have her cry once the flashback is shown,that way the flashback would serve a buildup for the crying.
Or hell,if it were just me,I wouldn't have her cry at all and just stay in stunned/shocked state,I tend to think crying is overused in anime,but that's just me
That being said,no matter how they arranged it Komari's VA really isn't doing much for me so that alone was going to limit the impact the scene had on me.

Despite that I enjoyed this episode much more than the common route episodes and I'm curious to see what's in store next week.
Old 2012-11-03, 22:49   Link #17
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRMN View Post
[mod edit: Quoted part removed from post]
That's... odd sentiment coming from someone with a Nagisa avatar.

Spoiler for Comparison to Clannad anime:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-11-03 at 23:39. Reason: Quote removed & Clannad comparison placed behind spoiler tags
Old 2012-11-03, 23:04   Link #18
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Spoiler for Comparison to Clannad anime:
Spoiler for Reply to comparison:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-11-03 at 23:39. Reason: Put quoted post and reply in spoiler tags for comparison
Old 2012-11-03, 23:05   Link #19
Divini
Senpai!

Animation was top notch this ep. So different from the 1st episode.

Can't wait to find out what happens next ep. I'm hopefully preparing for something that I'm not expecting.
Old 2012-11-03, 23:42   Link #20
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I want to remind game players to not discuss your impressions of the overall game route in this thread, as it is not yet complete in the anime. You can do these sorts of comparisons after the route is completely animated.