AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-09-13, 03:39   Link #481
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Philippine chefs look to take national cuisine mainstream

I tried abobo chicken at a Sugarbun or Jollibee restaurant i think. It was ok.
Old 2012-09-13, 14:48   Link #482
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Philippine chefs look to take national cuisine mainstream

I tried abobo chicken at a Sugarbun or Jollibee restaurant i think. It was ok.
I'm sure when it is made by someone in the Philippines, from a recipe passed down in the family, it can be pretty darn good. What are Sugarbun and Jollibee like? A bit better than Applebee's? If so, that wouldn't be a good way to first experience abobo chicken.
Old 2012-09-13, 16:03   Link #483
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhŕi)
*Graphic Designer

fry egg, hard-boil egg, and steam rice.

also, anything else that can be microwave.
Spoiler:
Old 2012-09-13, 18:51   Link #484
Siegel Clyne

World's Hottest Chili Pepper?

I've made adobo with pork before... plan to make it with chicken later.

Coming from a Japanese background and growing up with Mexicans and Mexican Americans, I love hot, spicy foods and cuisines: Mexican, Thai, Indian, Korean, Chinese (Sichuan, Hunan), etc.

I've made Mexican pico de gallo salsas or salsas frescas with habaneros, Mexico's hottest chili pepper, and poured salsa habanera over dishes in Mexican restaurants specializing in the cuisine of the Yucatán peninsula of southern Mexico, home of the habanero chili pepper.

But I wonder...

Has anyone tried the moruga scorpion from Trinidad, crowned earlier this year by New Mexico State University's Chili Pepper Institute as the world's hottest chili pepper?

Trinidad's Moruga Scorpion Chili Pepper

Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 20:56   Link #485
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
But I wonder...

Has anyone tried the moruga scorpion from Trinidad, crowned earlier this year by New Mexico State University's Chili Pepper Institute as the world's hottest chili pepper?

Hottest chili pepper but not the hottest pepper in the world?
Old 2012-09-14, 07:59   Link #486
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

^i remember watching somewhere that the world's hottest content is the pure extract of ghost chili
Old 2012-09-14, 08:36   Link #487
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystogan View Post
^i remember watching somewhere that the world's hottest content is the pure extract of ghost chili
Pure extract of ghost chilis are dangerous to people. If you took even less than a single drop, you'd have a trip to the hospital and it'd damage tissue in your mouth. They use tiny amounts of the extract to spice up large vats of sauces, salsas, etc.

You'd be in quite some trouble from eating a tiny bit of a raw ghost chili pepper, too. I dunno if you'd have to go to a hospital for it, but you'd be suffering a lot from it.
Old 2012-09-14, 09:24   Link #488
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Pure extract of ghost chilis are dangerous to people. If you took even less than a single drop, you'd have a trip to the hospital and it'd damage tissue in your mouth. They use tiny amounts of the extract to spice up large vats of sauces, salsas, etc.

You'd be in quite some trouble from eating a tiny bit of a raw ghost chili pepper, too. I dunno if you'd have to go to a hospital for it, but you'd be suffering a lot from it.
Speaking about "hot" scales -- I learned about this from Majikoi and thought it was very amusing. Apparently the unit of measurement for spiciness is the "Scoville"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 09:29   Link #489
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
I've made adobo with pork before... plan to make it with chicken later.

Coming from a Japanese background and growing up with Mexicans and Mexican Americans, I love hot, spicy foods and cuisines: Mexican, Thai, Indian, Korean, Chinese (Sichuan, Hunan), etc.

I've made Mexican pico de gallo salsas or salsas frescas with habaneros, Mexico's hottest chili pepper, and poured salsa habanera over dishes in Mexican restaurants specializing in the cuisine of the Yucatán peninsula of southern Mexico, home of the habanero chili pepper.

But I wonder...

It's like, 10-15 times the spice scale of a habanero pepper.....

I'll stay away from this baby hopefully my entire life.
Old 2012-09-14, 10:59   Link #490
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
It's like, 10-15 times the spice scale of a habanero pepper.....

I'll stay away from this baby hopefully my entire life.

I've never tried a tiny bit of habanero. Is it pretty brutal?
Old 2012-09-14, 13:06   Link #491
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:

it's used to make sauces for chicken wings at many places, i've seen at some food shows the host lick very small amount of it from a finger, nose and eyes start watering immediately, however never shown him taken to hospital though
Old 2012-09-14, 15:17   Link #492
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
I've never tried a tiny bit of habanero. Is it pretty brutal?
They're hot, but they're not that hot. I've made habanero salsa and hot sauce; it's good and spicy. It can also be used in sweets.
Old 2012-09-14, 15:31   Link #493
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
it's used to make sauces for chicken wings at many places, i've seen at some food shows the host lick very small amount of it from a finger, nose and eyes start watering immediately, however never shown him taken to hospital though
Lick very small amount of sauce made with ghost chili extract, or lick very small amount of ghost chili extract itself? On a TV show, I heard that even a tiny amount of a concentrated form of a certain chili pepper can actually harm the tissue on your tongue/in your mouth, and I think it was the ghost chili they were talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
They're hot, but they're not that hot. I've made habanero salsa and hot sauce; it's good and spicy. It can also be used in sweets.
I'd like to try it. I'm not bad with my tolerance for spicy food; probably better than many Americans. I don't like spicy food to be too spicy, though. If something is too spicy (I'm not even talking crazy spicy, either), than the food isn't really enjoyable. Every now and then, I like some decent amount of heat with some foods.

Sometimes I have stomach acid issues and spicy food can easily cause that. These things started happening more in recent years (stomach acid issues). I remember being a teenager and not knowing what this "heartburn" adults spoke of was like.
Old 2012-09-14, 15:39   Link #494
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Lick very small amount of sauce made with ghost chili extract, or lick very small amount of ghost chili extract itself? On a TV show, I heard that even a tiny amount of a concentrated form of a certain chili pepper can actually harm the tissue on your tongue/in your mouth, and I think it was the ghost chili they were talking about.
very small amount of the extract itself, and even though a small amount of it was used to make the sauce for the chicken wings, the wings were extremely hot, it was actually a challenge to eat the hottest wings, the host' face was burning red when he completed the challenge, but he did complete the challenge and then he said he is never ever doing something like that ever
Old 2012-09-14, 16:09   Link #495
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
very small amount of the extract itself, and even though a small amount of it was used to make the sauce for the chicken wings, the wings were extremely hot, it was actually a challenge to eat the hottest wings, the host' face was burning red when he completed the challenge, but he did complete the challenge and then he said he is never ever doing something like that ever
Sounds like Man v. Food, haha.
Old 2012-09-14, 16:40   Link #496
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

^hey you guessed it absolutely right...
Old 2012-09-14, 18:48   Link #497
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

My issue with mega spicy food is that it completely overwhelms all of the other flavours of the dish. It makes for a rather unsubtle experience.

That said, I do like the heat, occasionally. Gotta love me some of that Szechuan cuisine!
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 17:08   Link #498
Kmos

Same thing for me, I want to taste food and not just the heat from a spice or pepper. I think I have a moderate tolerance of spicy foods but I don't eat it too often.

I had box curry for 4 dinners straight this week. Used half a box Vermont Curry medium hot (it wasn't the least bit hot), chicken thighs, onions, potato, carrots, peas, broccoli stalk, more water and ingredients than directed. I prefer the sweeter japanese type curry. I've used store bought curry powder before and sweetened it as well, but not adventurous enough to mix my own.
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 01:57   Link #499
Kayu

Hi, i like to share a very easy, lowbugdet and tasty recipe

Requirements:
- Spagetthi *the cheapest brand, it doesnt taste much different then the expensive ones anyways*
- Hunts tomato paste *this one taste better*
- A can of Roland Jack makerel *this one goes well with the mix*
- A onion
* Optional - Ur favorite hotpepper sauce

Boil the spagetthi with some salt. After you drain the spagetthi leave it to cool off.
Add a bit of water to a pot and add the sliced onions with a bit of salt. Cook for a bit to let the onions get tender.
Add the whole content of the can of jack makerel including the water to the mix.
Tear the makerel apart, should be easy its very soft.
Let it all boil for a bit
Add the paste and abit of ur favorite hot pepper sauce.
Stir the mix and let it cook for a bit. Take the pot away from the fire and add the spagetthi.
Mix well and let it cool of a bit.
Thats it, very easy, very tasty, and cheap!
Old 2012-09-17, 03:34   Link #500
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayu View Post
Hi, i like to share a very easy, lowbugdet and tasty recipe

Requirements:
- Spagetthi *the cheapest brand, it doesnt taste much different then the expensive ones anyways*
- Hunts tomato paste *this one taste better*
- A can of Roland Jack makerel *this one goes well with the mix*
- A onion
* Optional - Ur favorite hotpepper sauce

Boil the spagetthi with some salt. After you drain the spagetthi leave it to cool off.
Add a bit of water to a pot and add the sliced onions with a bit of salt. Cook for a bit to let the onions get tender.
Add the whole content of the can of jack makerel including the water to the mix.
Tear the makerel apart, should be easy its very soft.
Let it all boil for a bit
Add the paste and abit of ur favorite hot pepper sauce.
Stir the mix and let it cook for a bit. Take the pot away from the fire and add the spagetthi.
Mix well and let it cool of a bit.
Thats it, very easy, very tasty, and cheap!

Sounds interesting. Did you create this recipe? Is makerel a small fish like sardines? Is the canned makerel the whole fish, or just fish meat? I'm wondering if it is like sardines, which when canned, you eat everything from a sardine (I think they remove the heads and tails, though).