AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2014-01-27, 00:18   Link #21
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
That does explain why her body was still wandering around in that area too. But yeah, kind of tragic, there.
Old 2014-01-27, 00:31   Link #22
Shadow5YA

Man... that look on Rii's face.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 03:17   Link #23
LystAP

I'm surprised this went for so long without more attention. It's both enjoyable and horrifying.
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 03:26   Link #24
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Spoiler for c16:
I don't think she's pretending. I don't really see anything in that chapter (or any chapter) that makes it look like that. Plus the scanlator himself said so.

But man, chapter 20 was great. The part I liked the most was Rii-chan and her whole body language. The moment she took that knife you can tell she gave up on Mii-kun coming back. You can simply sense the despair there. Her face looking like that of a madman the whole time is even better. Who knows what she would have done afterwards

Last edited by Solace; 2014-01-27 at 08:51. Reason: Please don't mention unofficial manga sites. Thanks.
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 04:21   Link #25
LystAP

Hmm, there's usually six chapters per volume; does this manga come per volume or in another time frame. Chapter 20 really ended with a cliffhanger.
Old 2014-01-27, 05:43   Link #26
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Rejoice, for you now have a page entry!

That said, I'm not a zombie apocalypse fan, so I'll leave the zombie apocalypse tropes filling for those in the know. Please do not expect me to fill out the page alone, like I did with White Album 2.

And yes, I chose that picture on purpose.
Old 2014-01-27, 07:17   Link #27
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Rejoice, for you now have a page entry!

That said, I'm not a zombie apocalypse fan, so I'll leave the zombie apocalypse tropes filling for those in the know. Please do not expect me to fill out the page alone, like I did with White Album 2.

And yes, I chose that picture on purpose.
Thanks. I just added some tropes and will add more later.
Old 2014-01-27, 08:48   Link #28
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

May I add that the designs for the girls so far look suspiciously like they were taken (likely ON PURPOSE to add to the dissonance) from other series in Manga Time Kirara? Kii looks like Yuuko from A-Channel, while Kurumi looks like Aya from Kiniro Mosaic.
Old 2014-01-27, 08:50   Link #29
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
I don't think she's pretending. I don't really see anything in that chapter (or any chapter) that makes it look like that. Plus the scanlator himself said so.

But man, chapter 20 was great. The part I liked the most was Rii-chan and her whole body language. The moment she took that knife you can tell she gave up on Mii-kun coming back. You can simply sense the despair there. Her face looking like that of a madman the whole time is even better. Who knows what she would have done afterwards
You can't blame her though, those are some violent reactions to the virus. Within minutes she's unconscious, struck with a high fever, shortly after her arm is swollen and she has violent convulsions. So not only do you have to watch your friend who is in complete agony, but you also have to be prepared to kill her so you can survive.

Plus you've learned the fate of your last important adult figure, and the shelter, etc. It's a huge amount of stress to take in at once. I'm surprised she didn't turn the knife on herself, personally. It takes a strong mind to not simply give into the despair.

I wonder if the drugs will work, but with some side effects. That arm looked nasty.
Old 2014-01-27, 09:50   Link #30
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
You can't blame her though, those are some violent reactions to the virus. Within minutes she's unconscious, struck with a high fever, shortly after her arm is swollen and she has violent convulsions. So not only do you have to watch your friend who is in complete agony, but you also have to be prepared to kill her so you can survive.

Plus you've learned the fate of your last important adult figure, and the shelter, etc. It's a huge amount of stress to take in at once. I'm surprised she didn't turn the knife on herself, personally. It takes a strong mind to not simply give into the despair.

I wonder if the drugs will work, but with some side effects. That arm looked nasty.
Not blaming her or anything. It was believable (for the reasons you just stated), and that's what made it so cool for me
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 11:27   Link #31
LystAP

Quote:
Not blaming her or anything. It was believable (for the reasons you just stated), and that's what made it so cool for me
I swear, we're all monsters. Manga, anime and VN writers keep making stories like these because they know we'll eat them up. These days, it's like the more they can break their characters, the higher the ratings will be.
Old 2014-01-27, 12:41   Link #32
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
I swear, we're all monsters. Manga, anime and VN writers keep making stories like these because they know we'll eat them up. These days, it's like the more they can break their characters, the higher the ratings will be.
I think it's the dissonance that's alluring. Anyone can make a story about a hero who fights a bad guy and saves the world (it's the very reason story tropes exist in the first place). But not everyone can make a story about young kids fighting to survive by themselves in a dead world. That juxtaposition between the sweet and sour makes for a tasty story recipe. And it's harder to get right, because the formula is more delicate to balance.

Of course, you do have to wonder about the mental state of people who make such things. I'm looking at you, Gen Urobuchi. ><
Old 2014-01-27, 22:21   Link #33
Soverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
To me, I like it when characters are like this better just because it seems somewhat more ... realistic for a lack of a better word. I could believe that someone would mentally snap in the middle of a zombie apocalypse more than I could believe someone shooting bullets through breasts (Looking at you HoTD). The fight for survival is more interesting to watch/read then just superhero style action.

Spoiler for Comparison to Gantz:

As for high ratings for this series, I think it certainly has some of the elements that could get them but as of right now I feel like it is just kind of a underground hit right now for some people. The series lacks a lot of "action" which you usually see in these style of stories to go more around the characters struggle with the situation.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 23:34   Link #34
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
As for high ratings for this series, I think it certainly has some of the elements that could get them but as of right now I feel like it is just kind of a underground hit right now for some people. The series lacks a lot of "action" which you usually see in these style of stories to go more around the characters struggle with the situation.
To be fair, unlike some of the other similar stories where you find all that action, none of the characters in Gakkou Gurashi have undergone any form of martial or firearms training, nor do they have access to any conveniently placed weaponry, nor would they had reason at all to have any association with what I just mentioned up until the apocalypse.

Afterwards, they were more concerned with surviving, and by then, there was no one around to teach them. It's a lot more realistic than HoTD, that's for sure.
Old 2014-01-31, 22:19   Link #35
LystAP

Chapter 21 is up.

Spoiler for Survivor:
Old 2014-01-31, 23:31   Link #36
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for c21:
Old 2014-02-01, 02:45   Link #37
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

I've been thinking about reading this one but before I start and get horrified by it, Is this disturbing in the same manner that doubt is (the rabbit one)? or disturbing in a kind of cute most of the time then oddly sneaks up on you kind of way? If it's corpse party disturbing than it's an automatic out for me so I gotta check first

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 10:49   Link #38
Soverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
I've been thinking about reading this one but before I start and get horrified by it, Is this disturbing in the same manner that doubt is (the rabbit one)? or disturbing in a kind of cute most of the time then oddly sneaks up on you kind of way? If it's corpse party disturbing than it's an automatic out for me so I gotta check first
At least in my mind, the series isn't that disturbing. Yes the story has its horror elements here and there but I feel like they are used to throw twists and turns into the characters lives more then to attempt to create a disturbing story.
Spoiler for Series comparisons:
In terms of horror style I would say that it is definitely closer to the cute most of the time then the horror sneaks up to you sort of way. It is in no way like corpse party in terms of horror style so you don't have to worry about the series being like that.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-10, 05:06   Link #39
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for c22:
Old 2014-03-10, 10:42   Link #40
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Well, it does look like the Government definitely is to blame for the Zombie Apocalypse (kind of scary how specific those details in the emergency manual were).

Oh, and Zombies do retain a twisted sense of self... except since they couldn't express themselves properly anymore, everything just boils down to "must assuage hunger pangs". Megu-nee herself seems to have retained some control, enough to separate herself and shamble over to the underground shelter area.

Then of course, Kurumi wanders in...

Tags
girl ensemble, manga time kirara, zombie apocalypse