Notices

View Poll Results: Should Japan extradite Bobby Fisher
Yes 2 13.33%
No 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-07-22, 08:54   Link #1
Knuckles

Bobby Fisher in Japan

Ex-Chess champion Bobby Fisher is in Japanese prison for going to Yugoslavia in 1992.
Here is the news story http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20040716_283.html
so what do you think, should japan let the USA have him (he could face up to 10 years in prison)
or should they let him go (to a country that will not extradite him)
Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 09:35   Link #2
Forsaken102
Insanity Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Forsaken102 Send a message via Yahoo to Forsaken102
It was a stupid crime to begin with, and shile I don't approve of his comments toward America and the Jewish people, that does not mean he has to go to prison.

Violating a sanction that says you can't go into a country has legitimate reasons... but I believe that it is mostly imposed for one's own safety, and to punish that country by restricting tourism benefits.

That he chose to violate them, should have consequences... but not years in prison in the US. Our jails are already over crowded. Send him elsewhere.

Besides, I find it depressing how we expect everyone to extradite to us, but refuse to hand any of our criminals over (for humanitarian reasons).

(did I get this right, or was it just a stupid rumor I heard? Please feel free to correct me.)
Forsaken102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 09:42   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken102

Besides, I find it depressing how we expect everyone to extradite to us, but refuse to hand any of our criminals over (for humanitarian reasons).

(did I get this right, or was it just a stupid rumor I heard? Please feel free to correct me.)
yup there are a lot of other countries' criminals currently in "political santuary" or something in US... basically US welcomes anyone who is willing to badmouth its enemies...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 09:50   Link #4
7thMethuselah

If they are gonna put him into prison for such a stupid reason then I guess we can put 3/4 of the world population in prison.
They should just let him go and give him a money sanction or something not a prison sentence...
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 03:35   Link #5
chucky
Always impatient

He is jewish himself.... like Chomsky he has all the right to criticize what those Israelis are doing.

Edit: actually i was being stupid. Everyone prolly except Germans has the right to criticize Israel. well Fischer's comments in most of the case were on target, but he didnt convey them in a convincing way....
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 04:43   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky
Edit: actually i was being stupid. Everyone prolly except Germans has the right to criticize Israel. well Fischer's comments in most of the case were on target, but he didnt convey them in a convincing way....
What's wrong with Germans criticizing Israel? It's not like all Germans=Nazi, is it?
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 04:53   Link #7
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

It's sad how they can't make an exception for him. The guy loves his chess ternies and generally doesn't care about the political shenanigans. It's not like he went there to murder someone.

So damn uptight.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 05:07   Link #8
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
It's sad how they can't make an exception for him. The guy loves his chess ternies and generally doesn't care about the political shenanigans. It's not like he went there to murder someone.

So damn uptight.

I don't understand where his racist comment about jewish people comes from though. Regardless I don't like any form of racism, regardless of who it comes from.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 13:14   Link #9
Forsaken102
Insanity Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots

I don't understand where his racist comment about jewish people comes from though. Regardless I don't like any form of racism, regardless of who it comes from.
Well, the Jewish comment comes from generalization, originating (probably) in America.

Americans, while we are quite proud of our diversity, sometimes just can't accept people who are different from us. I'm sure that anyone who has knowledge of the United States has heard about the American Civil War. One of its big things was the abolition of Slavery.

While, even today (about 150 years later), the Northern half of the united states has a relatively small amount of bigotry towards African Americans, the Southern states (in most cases, not all) have some ingrained hatred. Not only of African Americans, but towards Native Americans, Jewish people (I've noticed this seems centered in the New York and Florida area), Chinese and Japanese people (Started even before WWII, I think), and several others. (Including, I believe, the Scotts and Irish, and even French, English, etc.)

Every country has these... whether you're talking about a country (for Americans: War mongering arrogant snobs, perhaps? Or Yanks, according to the English), a religious group (Jews is most prominant), a racial group (Jews, Chinks, Japs, Niggers, etc. etc.), or a political group (Nazis, Charlies, etc. etc.)

Please forgive my crude language on the board... these were meant for explanatory reasons, not to insult or anger people.
Old 2004-07-23, 13:29   Link #10
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots

Don't act like that was the first time you've herd anyone call jews "thieving, lying bastards".
And he has more than enough reason you be angry at the US bureaucracy. He's getting prosecuted(10 years in question) for playing a chess tournament . Funny how the US is the only one getting buttheart for the breaking of those "UN" sanctions. Just shows what a pathetic US run joke the United 'Nations' really is (once again).
Old 2004-07-23, 13:32   Link #11
Forsaken102
Insanity Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Don't act like that was the first time you've herd anyone call jews "thieving, lying bastards".
And he has more than enough reason you be angry at the US bureaucracy. He's getting prosecuted(10 years in question) for playing a chess tournament . Funny how the US is the only one getting buttheart for the breaking of those "UN" sanctions. Just shows what a pothetic US run joke the United 'Nations' really is (once again).
Ummm... if we want to dis the US... can we please keep it to the Fahrenheit 9/11 threads? (*please?*)
Old 2004-07-23, 13:32   Link #12
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Americans, while we are quite proud of our diversity, sometimes just can't accept people who are different from us. I'm sure that anyone who has knowledge of the United States has heard about the American Civil War. One of its big things was the abolition of Slavery.
And here I was, thinking that what you stated about American Civil War was a common misconception about the war; as far as I remember the Civil War was primarily fought because of other discrepancies, i.e. economical (industrialized North, agricultural South) and others. So the demand for the abolition of slavery was a result of this reason since the Southerners wanted to keep slaves because of monetary reasons.

I guess there were other real reason for the War as well that had nothing to do with the intention to abolish slavery. I think my reasoning is possible, since it wouldn't be that unlikely that historical facts and motives got blandished with hindsight.

Did I already say that I'm no American? Yes? So that what I wrote with a grain of salt (actually with a lot). But I really would be interested on how it really was.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 13:35   Link #13
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Ummm... if we want to dis the US... can we please keep it to the Fahrenheit 9/11 threads? (*please?*)
The individual in question is wanted by the US for breaking UN sanctions.

Would you rather discuss bunnies because I thought the question here is weather japan should conform to an anal United States, and why the U.N. has no say in it.
Old 2004-07-23, 14:08   Link #14
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
He broke the law (using a bogus US passport)... Who cares what his reason for doing it was.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 21:11   Link #15
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
What's wrong with Germans criticizing Israel? It's not like all Germans=Nazi, is it?
You are definitely right, but some israeli apologetic jingoists will start all sort of vilification and namecalling if a german raises questions about israel's crimes -- the criticism will quickly degenerate into a mudslinging fiasco and nothing else. Of cuz not all germans are nazi, but well, that horrible history prolly will always automatically shut them up.

And there are more than enuff critics of Israel around the world anyway...... you just need to look at different news sources....
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 22:04   Link #16
Forsaken102
Insanity Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
And here I was, thinking that what you stated about American Civil War was a common misconception about the war; as far as I remember the Civil War was primarily fought because of other discrepancies, i.e. economical (industrialized North, agricultural South) and others. So the demand for the abolition of slavery was a result of this reason since the Southerners wanted to keep slaves because of monetary reasons.

I guess there were other real reason for the War as well that had nothing to do with the intention to abolish slavery. I think my reasoning is possible, since it wouldn't be that unlikely that historical facts and motives got blandished with hindsight.

Did I already say that I'm no American? Yes? So that what I wrote with a grain of salt (actually with a lot). But I really would be interested on how it really was.
(*laughs*)

Abolition of Slavery was a big thing... I never said it was the only reason. However, in History class that we actually discussed this in (*which I took 5 years ago...*), these reasons were briefly mentioned. We focused on the Missouri Compromise (imagine that, me going to school in Missouri and all), and I still don't remember what happened with it. I think basically that Missouri was a Union Member that had slaves... maybe. I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

In reality, yes, it was the economics. But, since the South was agriculturally based economically, and the North was industrialized, Slavery turned into this huge thing. (Of course, if you really want to look at it cynically... The north used women and children, the South used black people. Take your pick on the greater evil.)

Since the South lost, the slaves got their freedom, since the Union outlawed slavery. However, if the South had won... well, who knows what would have happened? But, as someone once said... the victors write the history books, and to hell with what the looser's cause was really about.

Lexander: No, I just don't want to re-iterate the "UN is the US's Buttmonkey" argument all over again. We can discuss this in a calm, factual manner without resulting to mudslinging, ne?
Old 2004-07-27, 16:12   Link #17
Knuckles

I was looking for more info on the net about Bobby and found this site http://www.freebobby.org .
You can even add your name to a list if you want Bobby to be free.
I thought it was kind of funny so there you go...
Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-28, 02:46   Link #18
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
all he ever did is play chess....poor bugger