AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-12-06, 21:28   Link #1
judasmartel
*Author

Want to introduce anime to our kids...

Well, not exactly my kids, it's actually my cousin and nephews. The cousin is aged 11, the nephews are aged 7 and 2, all boys. Only the nephews are together in the same house, the cousin lives in our hometown.

Anime shown on the major networks in our country usually consists of the Big Four (One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail) and reruns of Slam Dunk, Dragon Ball series, Doraemon, Inuyasha, and more which has been aired at least once (Ragnarok the Animation, Special A, Haruhi, Lucky Star, Beet the Vandel Buster, etc.).

Now, given the bad rap modern anime has been getting ("animu nowadays is all moe-shit with weak, noob harem protagonist"), I don't want the kids to watch shows that I think would warp their perception of what anime is.

Or better, I don't want them to think that anime = childish cartoons, because anime is more than that. If anything, a lot of animes I have watched myself can be a good crash course in Eastern philosophy and a source of real-life inspiration.

Also, there's the never-ending Sub vs Dub debate. However, as I have grew up with local language versions of Dragon Ball and Slam Dunk myself, I would rather not introduce subbed anime to them, no matter how superior they are to the dubs, because it's likely that they get frustrated from not being able to understand Japanese and read English subtitles as fast as possible. I'll consider introducing subs when they grow up into teens.

It's actually a good thing there are other channels here in our country that air non-Big Four anime, but on cable. Luckily, though, IIRC, the cousin has cable at home, but the nephews don't. So I'll focus on the cousin atm since he's the first one to ask me about anime (though he didn't know that the pic I showed him came from an anime, he thought it came from an FPS; Yeah, FPS is really popular among the kids here).

So any good anime I can initiate an 11-year-old boy into? Note that any recommendations you make may not have aired yet in our country. Of course there's the internet for everything, but introducing him to subs right now sounds like a slippery slope to me.

I'll mention some anime that has been aired in our country to give you an idea:

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Fairy Tail
Special A
Beet the Vandel Buster
Kiba
Blue Dragon
Slam Dunk
Dragon Ball
Inuyasha
Doraemon
Crayon Shin Chan
Atashin Chi
Hajime No Ippo (localized as Knock Out)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Lucky Star
Ragnarok the Animation
Ghost Fighter
Hunter X Hunter (the old one)
Yu-Gi-Oh
Zettai Karen Children
A Certain Magical Index

If you can't think of any anime that you think has been aired here in the Philippines, you can pick any of these as your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 22:32   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I suggest you start with this tag search:
http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=children.

You should also take a look at this thread on ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/...ic.php?t=25171

My first pick would be the Siren Visual AU release of Dennou Coil though it's region-coded to R4. A quick glance at the DVD region codes tells me the Philippines is in region 3.

Another good pick might be the movie Summer Wars. Funimation licensed and dubbed it here; I don't know about your part of the world.

I raised a daughter so I have less experience with anime for boys. However I wouldn't be surprised if he enjoyed Angelic Layer, even though the protagonists are girls. It's about arena battles between mind-controlled dolls.

Tsuritama, which aired this past summer, might be a good choice. It's about four boys who become friends through a shared interest in fishing. One of the boys is an alien. I have no idea about dubbing or licensing in your region of the world, though.

Hare + Guu might work, though Hare's mom is not a role-model for motherhood. As with most shows I recommend previewing, preferably along with the child's parents.

Hikaru no Go follows a young boy who encounters the spirit of a Heian Go master when he is ten. It has the usual shounen themes of competition and getting stronger. Hikaru grows convincingly from a young boy into a teenager as he pursues a career as a professional Go player (yes, they really do start that young). It's seventy-four episodes long and dubbed by VIZ. The "battle" sequences consist of highly stylized Go matches; you'll be shocked by how dramatic watching kids play a board game can be.

Finally I'll recommend Seirei no Moribito, not only because it is one of the finest anime I've watched, but also because the twelve-year-old boy in the story is an excellent character. I just lent my set of Moribito to someone my age who has started to watch a little anime. When I asked him about the show, he immediately commented on how strong a character Chagum is. Moribito is dubbed here by Media Blasters.

You might want to consider purchasing a region-free DVD player if you do not own one already.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-12-06 at 22:51.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 01:07   Link #3
judasmartel
*Author

Hmm... Too bad, then. Most people here think that anime only consists of the Big Four.

But anyways, thanks for your suggestions.
Old 2012-12-07, 02:29   Link #4
Kurohane

Cardfight Vanguard: a show about a timid boy who learns to be more confident in himself through his interatiions. The show centers on a cardgame, teaching kids about fair and respectful play. Don't worry about not knowing the rules. This show is not Yu-Gi-Oh lol. The rules are explained in the first episode. You can watch the anime english dubbed on youtube on the creator company's official channel for the show. The channel account is the name of the show, so it should be easy to find.

Elemetal Gelade: The story is about a young sky pirate Cou, who is still a novice and the target of teasing from his fellow crewmates. One day after a raid, he discovers a girl named Ren in one of the items that was stolen from the previous raid. Ren is not human, but an Edel Raid, a living weapon. After this meeting, Cou will encounter many people. The agents of Arc Aile who secure and protect Edel Raids and a notorious lowlife who wants to attain Ren for himself will be among the first of many on his beginning adventure. You should be able to see the dub on Funimation's website if not check anime ultima.

Hero Tales is also a show I would recommend. It is kinda like DBZ, though more into legends and myths than aliens and the fighting scenes aren't as overboard. It takes place in the Wantan era of Japan I think, I'm not sure. Basically a time, where wariors are a dominate part of society.

Sengoku Basara is a top quality fighting anime taking place during the warlords era.

Black Cat is about a young assasin living to make amends as a bounty hunter.

Busou Renkin is one I highly recommend. A high school boy dreams that he dies saving a girl from a monster. Only it turns out that it wasn't a dream, and the girl was no damsel in distress. Having his destoyed heart replaced with an advanced device known as the kakugane, a result of the process of alchemy, Kazuki and the girl Tokiko work together to fight against creatures born from another process of alchemy the homunculi. This show is action and fantasy galore. Worth anyone's time. You may have to purchase the DVDs or watch online for english dub.

Sgt. Frog: Clean humor, fun for everyone in this comedy about alien frogs trying to take over the Earth.

Others you might be interested in:
Oh, Edo Rocket!
Project Blue Earth SOS
Romeo x Juliet
Clannad

Last edited by Kurohane; 2012-12-07 at 12:54.
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 03:16   Link #5
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

There are some fantastic suggestions already, so I'll offer some general advice which I hope is alright.

If they're young enough, it's good to get them excited with stuff like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh (you know, stuff some of us watched in our childhoods), then slowly ease into the different genres as they get used to it. I grew up with dubs and eventually found myself almost completely wiping them for subs, so be sure to introduce them to both in as equal of a manner as possible, then they can make the choices themselves.

G'luck! ;3

P.S. Here's kinda the path I took for anime:

Pokemon (dub) -> Digimon (dub) -> Yu-Gi-Oh! (dub) -> Kanon 2002 (sub) -> Mahou Sensei Negima! (sub) -> Fullmetal Alchemist (dub, then sub)

As such, I think it could benefit to alternate back and forth with dubs and subs instead of how I went. Nowadays, I'm almost completely oblivious to dubs except for the rare occasions.
Old 2012-12-07, 04:46   Link #6
ProDigit

Check out Manga corp / manga entertainment website. They have dubbed some great older anime!

Ghost in the shell is maybe a bit too complex for them, and manga entertainment has a lot of the darker stuff out there not suited for kids, but also a lot of stuff that's really great for kids that age!

There used to be a dub company (ASS, I believe; Anime Sky Scraper or something), that dubbed series like Hokuto No Ken Fist of the North Star. They've only done the first 20eps though (Hokuto has 152 eps).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 08:07   Link #7
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Check all of Studio Glibli's works. I bet they're all dub. They're all child friend in generally and inspiring...

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-07 at 08:52.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 08:42   Link #8
Dark Pride

THe 1st Anime i watched when i was still a kid was Maburaho which is Ecchi... And now i grew up Liking Ecchi ANimes
Old 2012-12-07, 08:51   Link #9
judasmartel
*Author

Oh man. I would rather let him find his own way through ecchi anime and decide whether he likes it or not, thank you.
Old 2012-12-08, 02:43   Link #10
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Well, you've already gotten a lot of great recommendations, but I'll toss a couple more into the mix:

Rurouni Kenshin (TV series). Granted, it's rather on the old side, but it's also under the classification of being an anime classic. There's Heroic Age as well... (don't be fooled into thinking the big things are mecha, as it's definitely not a mecha anime)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 05:42   Link #11
mikejacobs

Send a message via MSN to mikejacobs
Hellsing , just kidding, what about full metal panic?
Old 2012-12-08, 05:46   Link #12
judasmartel
*Author

Hmm... I'm getting pretty good recommendations there, but thing is, I'm not sure which genre I have to introduce first.

My nephew grew up watching Cartoon Network on cable, so I assumed he needed some action anime to start. But then again, I'm not sure. Maybe a few classic rom-coms won't hurt either.

So which genre should I let him watch in order?
Old 2012-12-08, 05:48   Link #13
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Hmm... I'm getting pretty good recommendations there, but thing is, I'm not sure which genre I have to introduce first.

My nephew grew up watching Cartoon Network on cable, so I assumed he needed some action anime to start. But then again, I'm not sure. Maybe a few classic rom-coms won't hurt either.

So which genre should I let him watch in order?
When I started watching anime, I started with the action ones. So, to put it in order :
- Action/Adventure
- Romance/Comedy/Slice-of-Life
- Shows with more mature (deep) and sophisticated storylines
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 07:07   Link #14
judasmartel
*Author

That's more or less how I started watching anime.

So maybe I'll introduce him to the Big Four first, then I would be looking for action/adventure shows outside of the Big Four with a good dose of comedy.

Between the two biggest TV networks in our country, one only airs Naruto; the other airs Bleach, One Piece, and Fairy Tail. He has only watched Naruto so far (because it's aired by the network which is more popular back home), so it won't probably hurt to introduce him to One Piece. It still managed to be awesome despite being a little too cartoonish.
Old 2012-12-08, 09:21   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If he likes science-fiction and video gaming, I'll reiterate my suggestion of Summer Wars. There are slow periods from time to time that focus on the heroine's extended family, but the online battles are remarkable.

One problem I had making suggestions is that a lot of the better adventure stories I've watched have female protagonists. That's one reason why I thought Moribito is a good possibility because Chagum is such a compelling character. Mononoke Hime has a good male lead, but it might be a bit too bloody at his age.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 09:36   Link #16
Dark Pride

Voltes 5 , Detective Conan, and Flame of Recca is Good for kids.
Old 2012-12-08, 10:34   Link #17
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
I'm not here to recommend anything (any idea I could come up with was already given by someone else) but I still want to warn you about something. Make sure they don't take stories like Naruto too seriously. It's easy to influence children the wrong way and Naruto is known for doing that. It has transformed people in insecure, suffocating friends or friendship-worshiping I can't let go of the past persons. I'm not saying friendship is bad, just the way it's portrayed in Naruto is not healthy. And Naruto is not the only one, but it's the only one I can think of right now...
I have nothing to worry about. He knows shows are just that, shows. Whenever he hears somebody complaining about something in every show he has watched, he would just say, "Oh, that's how the director wanted it!"

About female protagonists... well, to be honest, I used to have a hard time believing that girls can be just as competent as the guys when it comes to combat. But as I grew older and have seen more and more females doing jobs usually reserved for males, I slowly came into the realization that yes, women can be just as good as the guys at pretty much anything. As a result, I have come to admire female protagonists for that exact same reason.

I am reminded of some troll telling people, "You're gay because a woman can do <insert usually male activity here> better than you!"
Old 2012-12-08, 19:04   Link #18
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If he likes science-fiction and video gaming, I'll reiterate my suggestion of Summer Wars. There are slow periods from time to time that focus on the heroine's extended family, but the online battles are remarkable.

One problem I had making suggestions is that a lot of the better adventure stories I've watched have female protagonists. That's one reason why I thought Moribito is a good possibility because Chagum is such a compelling character. Mononoke Hime has a good male lead, but it might be a bit too bloody at his age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Pride View Post
Voltes 5 , Detective Conan, and Flame of Recca is Good for kids.
I would also strongly recommend Summer Wars and Detective Conan; the latter of which is veeeeeeeeeeeeery long, so they won't exactly run out anytime soon.
Old 2012-12-08, 20:02   Link #19
Kurohane

Gundam Wing: one of the best action mecha shows there is.

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva: It's a movie perfect for kids. An adventure/ mystery story based on the Professor Layton video game franchise.

More to come as soon as I think of them.
Old 2012-12-13, 06:15   Link #20
Dawnstorm

I don't know which shows are available in your region, and I'm too lazy to check. I'm going to name all the shows I wish I had seen as a child (I still enjoyed them a lot, but I probably would have enjoyed them even more as a child):

First, I'll second Seiji Sensei's Dennou Coil. It's a science fiction show about what is real, and what is worth getting attached to, and you can lose yourself if you're too obsessed. It's really good.

Next, Fantastic Children. It's a story where a couple of white-haired, blue-eyed children get reborn throughout the centuries, looking for someone. It's one of those shows, where adults actually act like adults. There are lots of twists and turns. Good adventure fare.

Gakuen Alice. A story set in a school for children with special powers. Dealing with homesickness, and based on adventure and absurd humour.

And finally, Tegami Bacchi. A show about delivering letters in a world where monster hunt the feelings enshrined in the letters. That's the only one of the ones I've mentioned here that didn't enjoy that much any more, but I'd have loved it at that age.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children