AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-18, 19:55   Link #21
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Finally got to read the really long article in the latest issue of GameInformer.

Looks promising. I like the way things are sounding. I like that they are removing some of the more supernatural elements that were in Thief 3. I wasn't a big fan of the undead thing... mostly because they were a huge pain in the latter stages of the game.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 21:35   Link #22
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

I like the use of the undead in 1/2, I never finished 3 because of the ladder bug. What was the problem in it with the undead?
Old 2013-03-18, 21:44   Link #23
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
I like the use of the undead in 1/2, I never finished 3 because of the ladder bug. What was the problem in it with the undead?
A lot of people dislike the undead because is freaky and evil. You know, here u are, taffing about some noble's house and relieving his jewels and his daughter's virginity with ease, then suddenly ZOMG zombie hordes.

1 is blatantly horrifying since you couldn't kill many of the undead with the amount of gears you can find, especially return of the cathedral when the door closed behind you and you know you got like...4 flashbombs and a few fire arrow in a place that call of a rocket launcher.

2 is Ok, the mecha terrors were no were near as scary (or blackjack proof), only undead area can be avoided.

3. Robbing the craddle is like stepping into a Hollywood horror movie....done by a A rate director >.<, granted, in 3 u can Rambo up and load yourself with enough gear, but the place is still creepy as hell.

4. ?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 22:39   Link #24
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Well I liked the undead in 1 with the hammerites and graveyard it felt right with the story and how creepy Constantine was. Hopefully they will have in some undead to keep it true to how dark the game is.
Old 2013-03-19, 00:00   Link #25
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Hell yeah, love Thief games. Just hope it doesn't suck balls or is as short as Dishonoured. The pictures do give it a Dishonoured vibe, not sure how I feel about that (although Dishonoured was a great game, don't get me wrong). It's nice to recognise the scenery though, like the clock tower. But seriously... eye shadow? Why the hell would he wear eye shadow. Look at other fantasy gothic (the time period, not the 'trend') stuff, they don't wear bloody eye shadow.

Am I the only person that liked Deadly Shadows? I mean, sure of the three games, it was probably the weakest, but the story was pretty interesting. Also, I never really minded the supernatural stuff. It's ALWAYS been in the series. Be it Divine - Hammerites or Mechanists - Pagan - Woodsie Lord, Viktoria - and Undead - Zombies and the Hag... oh can't forget the Keepers. It made the game interesting, because yeah while early missions focused on Garret getting up to mischief and stealing everything that wasn't nailed down to pay for his rent and what not, later missions fell into the right guy in the wrong place sort of story and he ends up fighting the bad guy du jour.

Hopefully the game will be a decent length and be interesting like Deus Ex, since its the same developer. Hopefully they don't bloody outsource the boss fights again, hahaha. The talk of consolifying it terrifies me though... so damn limiting, need nice big sprawling levels.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2013-03-19 at 00:18.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 10:19   Link #26
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/19/th...-you-to-steal/

Quote:
Thief won’t force you to kill, will (probably) force you to steal
Never had to kill back in number 1 so that's ok and I always stole
Old 2013-03-19, 18:21   Link #27
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Well I liked the undead in 1 with the hammerites and graveyard it felt right with the story and how creepy Constantine was. Hopefully they will have in some undead to keep it true to how dark the game is.
I would point out that the presence (or absence) of undead is no measure of how 'dark' the game is. This said, their inclusion has to fit the storyline - I haven't read enough about the events at that point in the series' history to judge whether or not undead would be lore-compatible. On this note, I would point to a couple of examples of lore-incompatible changes:
  • the removal of mated weapons (launcher for the ISA M82; shotgun for the Helghan StA-52) in the Killzone sequels;and
  • rifles no longer being available for players' use in Torchlight 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
The talk of consolifying it terrifies me though... so damn limiting, need nice big sprawling levels.
I'm not quite sure how developing for a console would force shrinkage of the size of levels; perhaps someone more knowledgeable about such things can enlighten me.

Quote:
Never had to kill back in number 1 so that's ok and I always stole :D
Given how the advertising for many stealth games tends to give the whole 'stealth' thing short shrift, it's good that Eidos came out and explicitly confirmed the possibility of a zero-kill playthrough.

Vaguely related note: Klei has announced the planned release of a DLC pack for Mark of the Ninja (Joystiq article), which among other things adds non-lethal takedowns to the player's roster.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 19:16   Link #28
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
I would point out that the presence (or absence) of undead is no measure of how 'dark' the game is.

I'm not quite sure how developing for a console would force shrinkage of the size of levels; perhaps someone more knowledgeable about such things can enlighten me.
Well having undead in a game creates a sense of death and suffering, and that relates to a dark atmosphere. Not sure about measuring it though, other things can be added to create a dark atmosphere.

Not too sure if development for the console will make the game smaller, but it will make the game likely to have poorer graphics, stiff/buggy PC controls and small FOV. Unless the company Eidos wants to make a effort for the PC community which hopefully they will
Old 2013-03-19, 20:03   Link #29
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Am I the only person that liked Deadly Shadows? I mean, sure of the three games, it was probably the weakest, but the story was pretty interesting. Also, I never really minded the supernatural stuff. It's ALWAYS been in the series. Be it Divine - Hammerites or Mechanists - Pagan - Woodsie Lord, Viktoria - and Undead - Zombies and the Hag... oh can't forget the Keepers. It made the game interesting, because yeah while early missions focused on Garret getting up to mischief and stealing everything that wasn't nailed down to pay for his rent and what not, later missions fell into the right guy in the wrong place sort of story and he ends up fighting the bad guy du jour.
It was the only one I've played and I liked it.

Old 2013-03-19, 22:08   Link #30
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
It was the only one I've played and I liked it.
I liked it but never completed it, like I said before I got the ladder bug
Old 2013-03-20, 09:56   Link #31
JagdPanther

I played it years ago, but I vaguely remember what you're talking about. I had some glitch issues, as well, but I found ways around it by looking online for tips.

Old 2013-03-20, 12:10   Link #32
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Yeah I probably should of tried to fix it. It was hard getting it to work, so I was too lazy to fix it.
Old 2013-03-21, 11:22   Link #33
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
I would point out that the presence (or absence) of undead is no measure of how 'dark' the game is. This said, their inclusion has to fit the storyline - I haven't read enough about the events at that point in the series' history to judge whether or not undead would be lore-compatible. On this note, I would point to a couple of examples of lore-incompatible changes:
It does fit the theme, no doubt. In mission 4 of Thief I you went to rob a epic graveyard of pain. Pain since you have to hide from the undead right than hack-slash like 99% of the games out there (Thief was the first FPS-sneaker, ever).

A run of the mill zombie is damn scary since

1) You probably got enough ammo to kill a total 4 of them.

2) Your attempt to kill them (Be it flashbombs, Fire arrows or mines) probably will attract 20 more.
Old 2013-03-21, 13:48   Link #34
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

If my memory serve me correctly, thief 2 highest difficulty requires.you not to kill anyone at all. Personally, I hope they retain that mode and add in force first person view because third person mode tends to make stealth too easy by giving you a huge view advantage especially around and over obstacles. Also no ingame radar or minimap.

Thief was the game that trained my ears for spatial awareness which I still use for many modern day fps shooters.
Old 2013-03-21, 16:11   Link #35
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post

Thief was the game that trained my ears for spatial awareness which I still use for many modern day fps shooters.
So true, I used it a lot in Unreal tournament and Cod4. I think all the Thief's had that difficulty, so should really continue that legacy.
Old 2013-03-21, 23:26   Link #36
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I've always enjoyed killing with the quick dagger animation despite the high noise level it provides. I would even black jack first, the slash at the body (I even did that on Deus Ex HR haha). If anything, there should be some type of penalty on a person you kill. Thieves DO kill...

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 08:38   Link #37
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
If my memory serve me correctly, thief 2 highest difficulty requires.you not to kill anyone at all. Personally, I hope they retain that mode and add in force first person view because third person mode tends to make stealth too easy by giving you a huge view advantage especially around and over obstacles. Also no ingame radar or minimap.

Actually, that is not even the highest difficulty. Highest difficulty require you to steal a list of specific items, and in certain missions, cannot even be seen by a guard.

There is a map of some kind, just hand written and not updated. (I.E what Garret can buy on the streets/provided by others)
Old 2013-03-22, 08:39   Link #38
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode120x View Post
I've always enjoyed killing with the quick dagger animation despite the high noise level it provides. I would even black jack first, the slash at the body (I even did that on Deus Ex HR haha). If anything, there should be some type of penalty on a person you kill. Thieves DO kill...
"You are a thief, not a murder" --Garret's creed.

So, u fail
Old 2013-03-22, 21:42   Link #39
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
So, u fail
Not sure what you mean...

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 22:17   Link #40
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Garrett doesn't enjoy killing, he's a thief that his "profession" he'd prefer if a mission was done without killing. From the creed.

But it doesn't matter cause I bop everyone on the head with my mighty black jack!