AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-28, 07:33   Link #21
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Badass doesn't hurt.
Unless you piss her off... Ach.

At the moment it's still hard to see Alicia coming out of that tsundere shell and acting like a soldier but I'll remain hopeful.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-04-28, 07:40   Link #22
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
At the moment it's still hard to see Alicia coming out of that tsundere shell and acting like a soldier but I'll remain hopeful.
War changes people.

Spoiler for HUGE PLOT SPOILERS:

I hold out hope and am far more optimistic than you, apparently.
Old 2009-04-28, 08:37   Link #23
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
War changes people.

Spoiler for HUGE PLOT SPOILERS:

I hold out hope and am far more optimistic than you, apparently.
But the problem is we're talking about two very different characters both claiming to be Alicia Melchiott.

I loved the game version and I'd like nothing more than for her anime self to walk a similar path to the game but at the moment I can't see such a scene in the anime having the same feeling or pwoer as the game.

Christ sake, I bloody cried during the "Love" cut scenes from Chapter 16... And I don't cry often D=

Old 2009-04-28, 10:44   Link #24
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Well, here is the kicker:

What if Alicia can't cook?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-04-28, 10:50   Link #25
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Well, here is the kicker:

What if Alicia can't cook?

- Tak
...You can't seriously be arguing that. It's established that she's an assistant at the bakery in the anime already. She's baking bread in the OP.
Old 2009-04-28, 11:10   Link #26
Tak

Quote:
...You can't seriously be arguing that. It's established that she's an assistant at the bakery in the anime already. She's baking bread in the OP.
I am just throwing out random stuff.

But hey, with all the changes they are making to her character, it might be possible if they want to go that direction.

While she may be an assistant, that is quite different from being an actual baker. Besides, with the changes they are making to her character, I find myself less and less convinced that she can actually cook well (imagine a scene where Welkin encounters food poisoning). Why do I say this? Because baking takes a crap-load of patience and she just does not seem to have that much patience to actually spend 1/4 of a day trying to make bread. Besides, it does not help that she is constantly complaining.

Alicia in the game, I am convinced that she can actually make food. There are a lot of qualities in the game Alicia that is lacking in the anime Alicia.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2009-04-28 at 13:06.
Old 2009-04-28, 11:13   Link #27
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I am just throwing out random stuff.

But hey, with all the changes they are making to her character, it might be possible if they want to go that direction.

While she may be an assistant, that is quite different from being an actual baker. Besides, with the changes they are making to her character, I find myself less and less convinced that she can actually cook well (imagine a scene where Welkin encounters food poisoning). Why do I say this? Because baking takes a crap-load of patience and she just does not seem to have that much patience to actually spend 1/4 of a day trying to make bread. Besides, it does not help that she is constantly complaining.

Alicia in the game, I am convinced that she can actually make food. There are a lot of qualities in the game of Alicia that is lacking in the anime Alicia.

- Tak
See? Now you make sense.

I can see where your coming from here... and must admit that you have a point. I can only hope (and I do) that you're wrong, and that her patience shows soon.
Old 2009-04-28, 13:34   Link #28
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i'm going to buy the game when i go home. its fairly cheap now right? anyways, ep 4 seems to be interesting. harassment? haha. with her WTF face it'll be even more entertaining.
Old 2009-04-28, 15:07   Link #29
kalbron

Not to mention Tak that tsundere characters always seem to have an inability to cook for some reason... why is it exactly that Japan seems obsessed with cute, horribly violent, stupid girls that make radioactive waste in their kitchens? =/
Old 2009-04-28, 15:18   Link #30
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Not to mention Tak that tsundere characters always seem to have an inability to cook for some reason... why is it exactly that Japan seems obsessed with cute, horribly violent, stupid girls that make radioactive waste in their kitchens? =/
To be fair, not all tsun-tsuns are incapable of preparing a meal. More like, most anime females can't cook for shit even if their lives depend on it. This includes even the most romantically-inclined, the most abiding, sacrificial or cutest characters around.

Unless of course, the character is Belldandy.

On the other hand, many tsun-tsuns can indeed cook. Kyou from Clannad, for example.

- Tak

Old 2009-04-28, 17:11   Link #31
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Well, really it could be far worse characterization-wise. Remember, Marina Inoue's most recent role that still sticks in the mind of Western watchers is... Kana Minami (from Minami-ke) who I might add is so dense black hole matter has nothing on her.
Old 2009-04-28, 17:24   Link #32
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
That's not--

>_>

<_<

V_V

talk about cliche's. I can't believe you're right on target.

I haven't played the game myself. But from what I'm gathering, it's not just that there's two different Alicia's, it's that there's two different universes. Why is there a need for a serious and intelligent Alicia when the enemies are fodder soldiers that can't shoot. I have not felt a single sense of urgency from any of the main characters. Rather, they're jovially going around blowing things up.
Old 2009-04-28, 18:18   Link #33
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Also, the Kana Minami voice. You'd think that Marina would use the intonation of another character she's previously voiced, but no, she used Kana. For the people who also watched Minami-ke prior to Valkyria, it subconsciously reinforces the thought that we actually have Kana imported into Gallia.
Old 2009-04-28, 19:08   Link #34
Zlostur

So far, she's been a very determined and likable heroine who has her priorities straight. Marina Inoue is doing a very good job portraying her character - she's able to portray strong female characters who are very endearing without being annoying (Yoko in TTGL comes to mind).

Plus, her facial expressions are pure gold . We need to have an "Alicia facial expression of the week" thread.
Old 2009-04-28, 19:14   Link #35
Tak

Haha, her facial expressions in the first episode is enough to last a month

- Tak

Old 2009-04-28, 22:40   Link #36
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
And not to mention in the first episode she is told her bread is already at Meister level.

And I don't think the woman who said it was exaggerating to say the least.

Old 2009-04-29, 00:56   Link #37
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

I think Alicia does know how to cook even in the anime, though it's easy to overlook due to the change in characterization. I kind of forgot that Marina Inoue also voiced Yoko from Gurren Lagann, as the impression of The Boss is too recent in my mind.
Old 2009-04-29, 11:54   Link #38
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Inoue Marina (the voice actor for Alicia) draws a cute picture of her.

http://yaplog.jp/marinavi/archive/408
Old 2009-04-29, 21:12   Link #39
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Inoue Marina (the voice actor for Alicia) draws a cute picture of her.

http://yaplog.jp/marinavi/archive/408
Wow. That's a really nice sketch, indeed. Loving this voice actress more and more.

As for Alicia... I do hope they show her being more useful\reliable later on and not merely the type of heroine who merely observes and continually underestimates the male lead until he does something extraordinary, which increasingly earns her respect and admiration. We get that Welkin's quirky, bookish personality masks how good a military leader he can be, now do the same for Alicia! It just feels too one-sided.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think she's adorable (NOT a tsundere) but as serenade_beta said: she needs to do more than just make funny faces in reaction to every weird thing Welkin does. Right now her character is dependent on interactions with oddball males.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2009-04-29 at 22:14.
Old 2009-04-29, 21:16   Link #40
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
I mean, don't get me wrong, I think she's adorable (NOT a tsundere) but as seranade said: she needs to do more than make funny faces in reaction to every weird thing Welkin does. Right now her character is dependent on interactions with oddball males *cough* Maxmillian, you shameless stripper, you *cough.
As her charcter develops she should begin warming up to Welkin and begin questioning his actions less.
Closed Thread