Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-08-06, 01:46   Link #381
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by twasdfzxcv View Post
...Unless most Japanese can appreciate this type of dry humor better than the average American I know, I doubt we'll see a second season of this or any more of this author's work getting animated....
I think there is a dry, subtle kind of Japanese humor that is like dry, subtle English humor. Maybe the tense, contained aspects of both countries' psychologies give rise to this.

Of course, there is also a broad, gross kind of Japanese humor that is like the broadest, grossest English humor. Maybe American humor doesn't go so far in either direction.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 04:21   Link #382
LeoXiao
思想工作

I like this anime more and more. It's not great but very amusing and fun to watch. SYD seems to avoid being limited by cliches, though it uses them a lot.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 04:29   Link #383
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Best scenes of the episode belong to Imouto.

She would fit right at home in her brother's high school.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 04:38   Link #384
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Actually I don't think so. Well the only data I have on the sales is from animenewsnetwork that for the vol. 2 of Seitokai Yakuindomo it pushed 30k copies in the first week. Which is not a lot in any standard (or is Japanese manga market more abysmal than I think it is for non mainstream titles).
Hmm~ First week sales only from ann, huh... Not really convincing.
There was a chart somewhere that listed 4-koma manga sells, and it was quite high though. It was posted on a blog I visit, but several weeks back... I want to find it, but no time right now.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 08:00   Link #385
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Despite my enjoying this show, I don't think it will ever be successful commercially. It has a really dry sense of humor that's rarely seen in anime and really perverted dialogue, resulting in a even smaller audience base. Unless most Japanese can appreciate this type of dry humor better than the average American I know, I doubt we'll see a second season of this or any more of this author's work getting animated. Let's hope I'm wrong.
Fortunately... I find most anyone from anywhere else appreciates dry humor better than the average American I've observed in the last couple of decades. I'll observe that popular humor in the US has languished quite a bit since the early and mid-20th Century. There's still some really funny stuff out there - but we're talking about mainstream center humor tastes.

But seriously, it doesn't have to be appreciated by most Japanese - only a sufficient number. Otherwise, what Kaoru says --- humor really does vary in degrees from country to country. If the book sales are around the 30K mark, then its sufficiently successful in terms of the niche market there for 4-koma comics. I'm certainly going to be buying the existing set to add to that.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-08-06 at 08:12.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 08:43   Link #386
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Hmm~ First week sales only from ann, huh... Not really convincing.
There was a chart somewhere that listed 4-koma manga sells, and it was quite high though. It was posted on a blog I visit, but several weeks back... I want to find it, but no time right now.
Sales increased in Vol 3 looks like it gained a bit of a popularity.

Seitokai Yakuindomo Vol 3 (43,881) (Weekly Shonen Magazine)

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=268

Seitokai Yakuindomo Vol 3 (34,042/77,923) (Weekly Shonen Magazine) 2nd week

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=271

The 4th vol will be coming out on the 17th of this month. Won't be surprise if it pushes pass 100k in it's 2nd week.

4th Volume Cover:

Spoiler for BIG spoiler on a character:

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2010-08-06 at 11:21.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 11:11   Link #387
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^That was a bigger spoiler than I expected to see. I kind of wish I hadn't clicked on that. Oh well.
Old 2010-08-06, 11:22   Link #388
ZODDGUTS

Edited to "BIG" spoiler instead of "somewhat" spoiler.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 11:47   Link #389
twasdfzxcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Sales increased in Vol 3 looks like it gained a bit of a popularity.

Seitokai Yakuindomo Vol 3 (43,881) (Weekly Shonen Magazine)

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=268

Seitokai Yakuindomo Vol 3 (34,042/77,923) (Weekly Shonen Magazine) 2nd week

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=271

The 4th vol will be coming out on the 17th of this month. Won't be surprise if it pushes pass 100k in it's 2nd week.
I guess I was expecting manga sales to do much better in Japan, but I'm surprised by such a big spread between the top 5 and the rest.
twasdfzxcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 11:51   Link #390
shakeofinfinity
Learning the Guitar

This ANIME ROCKS
Old 2010-08-06, 17:25   Link #391
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A manga thread created - please discuss manga there.

Do not post manga spoilers in this anime thread (I don't think vol 4 cover was a huge spoiler since we already knew that implicitly from the anime).

manga thread -> http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...19#post3178619

Browsing through the anime website, I find we're going to see at least a couple of new characters before the season ends, at least one of which is in the OP.
official anime website: http://www.starchild.co.jp/special/seitokai/

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-08-06 at 18:09.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 19:52   Link #392
Seiryuu

I don't see how that's such a big spoiler. After all, he already said that
Spoiler:

Concerning the recent ep, I really love Kotomi. Seems I come to like most of Shimoda Asami's roles pretty easily. Her peppy, young look makes the lewd jokes come out in a very different way. Rather liked her choice of bread too, trying to add a little symbolism perhaps?(like one needs to ask)
The pillow was something else. In his shoes, I would have three questions: "Where did you get that thing", "Why did you get that", and "Have you needed that before or has it just been sitting in your closet in preparation for dreams to come?"

Might be interesting when Kotomi makes it to HS. May be able to make more references to the author's other work. Would be funny if she put her brother into those sorts of situations, such as
Spoiler:

Edit: OK, now I see why it's a "big" spoiler.
Spoiler for it is big:

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2010-08-10 at 22:16.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 21:57   Link #393
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, it was said in the anime by Tsuda that his sister was going to attend the school ... so it isn't a spoiler at all (unless some of us weren't actually paying attention ).

But generally speaking, information about future events in the anime that depend on knowledge from source material should be kept out of the anime thread (forum rules) and talked about in the manga thread. This particular factoid isn't a problem.
Old 2010-08-07, 09:38   Link #394
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

I think what Kanon is noting as a spoiler isn't that the sister's joining the school, as that has been said in the anime, but instead something only apparent if you take a close look at her picture on that cover. (Depending upon how perceptive one has been so far, or how familiar one is with Japanese culture, some people may see it and still not get its significance) While I personally find such development patently obvious from logical progression and the premise of the story, it's not something that has been mentioned or suggested in the anime.
Old 2010-08-07, 10:07   Link #395
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

^
Spoiler:
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 10:51   Link #396
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess some people consider things surprising that I don't?
Anyway, the manga thread is available.
Old 2010-08-07, 12:34   Link #397
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for SYD 06 - "Grand Braver in the Balance":
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 13:15   Link #398
Sparvid
*hic*

The first DVD/Blu-ray is out. Anyone know if there are no pixelation or bleeps on that?

Although I'm not quite sure whether or not the jokes would become less funny when spelled out directly...
Old 2010-08-07, 14:02   Link #399
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
The first DVD/Blu-ray is out. Anyone know if there are no pixelation or bleeps on that?

Although I'm not quite sure whether or not the jokes would become less funny when spelled out directly...
I'm going to bet the bleeps and pixelations are part of the show because, frankly, I don't think those particular jokes would be nearly as funny otherwise. Somewhat like the difference between an erotic art pictorial versus a clinical harsh light snapshot.
Old 2010-08-07, 14:56   Link #400
twasdfzxcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm going to bet the bleeps and pixelations are part of the show because, frankly, I don't think those particular jokes would be nearly as funny otherwise. Somewhat like the difference between an erotic art pictorial versus a clinical harsh light snapshot.
I think figuring out the bleeps also adds to the joke. It forces viewer to be more active, even only for a small amount.
twasdfzxcv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen