AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 60 52.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 26.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 13.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.87%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-11, 01:22   Link #261
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
Hey all, I've been lurking here for a very long time and am only JUST throwing in on this discussion...

1st... Mac Frontier is the BOMB! AMAZING action and the relationships are just all over the map. Fascinating series. I really pray that Big West and all get their stuff figgerd' out and release in Region 1 as subs at LEAST! A great dub with women who sing as well as these original seiyuu is probably too much to ask...

On this Ranshe/Ranka/Sheryl thing. I'm probably all wet, but I can't help but thinking the following:

Ranka is stated as being 1/4 Zentradi. I'm going to make a little jump here that this bloodline came from her mother, Ranshe. In the picture Ranka and her mother both have green hair while her brother and father are blonde. I KNOW that that's proof of nothing, but in Anime, often the hair color is a shorthand for being related. Not ALWAYS, but in SDFM, Komiriya has the same haircolor as Miriya, pointing to strong Zentradi genes. And who knows, maybe Max a Human, marrying Miriya, a Zentradi, started a trend for Human males and Zentradi females marrying... Anime logic is often based on less... OK, enough of that.

Ranshe is working on this "project" with Grace & Mao. Since she has the stronger genes of the group, a clone of Ranshe is cultured (possibly covertly, but likely with her knowledge & consent. Who knows. The Zentradi are used to the idea of cloning themselves.) This clone becomes Sheryl Nome (named after BOTH the DNA donor & the doctor who is doing the research (Ran)SHEryl Nome...) Sheryl the clone is purposely infected as an experiment on culturing the V-Tipe (hee hee) virus in a controlled environment.

Shortly after, Ranshe becomes pregnant with Ranka and during the pregnancy gets infected with the V-Tipe virus. The virus crosses the blood barrier and infects Ranka, who is BORN, (not cultured) with the Vajra sequence as a part of her blood.

Between the two, Sheryl needs to have the virus under constant control and so Grace is assigned to monitor her progress. Ranka in the meanwhile is born and raised normally by Ranshe and her husband.

Then during the attack on the 117th fleet, Ozma rescues Ranka during the confusion. Grace arrives on the scene and assumes Ranka has been killed with her family. She scoops up what's left of Brera and takes him back to Galaxy, having him cyborgized. (Possibly as a backup donor of Ranshe's DNA). The Ranshe clone, Sheryl is taken back to Galaxy by evac units before Grace can retrieve her, and eventually finds her scavenging on the streets of Galaxy.

Grace, now operating without either of her colleagues, and assuming that Ranka is dead, proceeds to resurrect her research by raising Sheryl and giving her a false past with earrings from her "mother", which are actually tuning instruments for resonating with Sheryls singing voice and converting them into fold waves. While Sheryl becomes an idol in the public eye, Grace begins to use her as a tool to attract the Vajra for experiments on how to control them during their attacks.

During the first attack on Frontier, Ranka is "found" and brought to Grace's attention through the blood tests of "those exposed to the aliens". And so we see how things have unfolded.

These are just my personal observations and speculations and are worth exactly the cost of admission to come read them, but I'd love to hear feedback... For me though, this theory would tie up a lot of crazy stuf we're seeing...

I'm lovin' this series... In Kawamori we trust!

PS: the block copies Adobe After Effects online manuals as body copy for medical research articles is cracking me up! Great inside joke. Better than greeking!
mmmm Nice summary of whats been goin on :P (but welcome to the thread from a semi lurker XD)
Old 2008-08-11, 01:27   Link #262
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
The whole point of the colonization fleets is to spread around humanity as fast as possible. Considering that humanity was almost completely wiped out by the Zentraedi 50 years ago and, according to Excedore, there are more than 1000 fleets of Zentraedi the size of Boldolzas fleet around, I´d say it is a good idea to send out their colonization ships.

There are also lots of sociological and political reasons why it is better to send out a whole infrastructure on such a long mission, instead of a purely military exploration fleet.
2000+ Bodol sized fleets actually. Not counting whatever is left of the Supervision Army.
Old 2008-08-11, 02:58   Link #263
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
I don't know if anyone's brought this up--but why was it raining on Frontier? I thought they don't have a real atmosphere. Rain can be simulated, but aren't they suppose to be low on resources?
It has an atmosphere technically... any enclosed place that has air, moisture and heat/cold thermal interaction has the ability to create rain. There are clouds in Frontier if you noticed.

For a real life example... apparently during the construction of the Burj Al-Arab Hotel in Dubai (the iconic sailboat like hotel), they had to cool the interior of the hotel slowly for 5-6 months before it was in the proper temperature to be fitted with interior decorations. Why? The hotel's atrium was so massive and spacius that had they cooled the interior too rapidly it would have rained inside due to condensation.

Rain. Inside a hotel atrium. In a building in the middle of a desert.

If something like the Burj Al-Arab can create simulated rain without any technology and such, it shouldn't be that hard to create rain on Frontier. They have a simulated atmosphere, and a large body of water from which to take their moisture from. Even without technological manipulation as long as the proper conditions are met it should rain naturally on Frontier.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-08-11, 03:30   Link #264
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
2000+ Bodol sized fleets actually. Not counting whatever is left of the Supervision Army.
Where were the 2000+ fleets stated? I got the 1000+ fleets from DYRL, so I´m interested to know where that number you stated came from. It´s always interesting to know more about the larger Macross universe.
Old 2008-08-11, 03:33   Link #265
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Where were the 2000+ fleets stated? I got the 1000+ fleets from DYRL, so I´m interested to know where that number you stated came from. It´s always interesting to know more about the larger Macross universe.
Macross Compedium
Old 2008-08-11, 04:22   Link #266
magnuskn

Quote:
Macross Compedium
Ah, mercí. Too bad I won´t get my hands on that one.
Old 2008-08-11, 04:35   Link #267
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
Hey all, I've been lurking here for a very long time and am only JUST throwing in on this discussion [...]

These are just my personal observations and speculations and are worth exactly the cost of admission to come read them, but I'd love to hear feedback... For me though, this theory would tie up a lot of crazy stuf we're seeing...

I'm lovin' this series... In Kawamori we trust!
First off, Welcome to the discussion Mughi!

Second, that's actually a pretty good theory only deviating form my own in small areas. Mainly I didn't think about Sheryl possibly being a clone of Ranshe mainly because I didn't think anyone has ever said that Sheryl is any part Zentradi which genetically she would be if a clone. Although we have seen Grace replace blood samples so it's possible she has always done that. I don't quite know if Sheryl's pinkish hair is her real hair color or a dye image job. Mihail has blond hair and is obviously partial Zentradi from his ears so hair color in MF isn't necessarily a dead give away.

At anyrate, I think your theory is just as sound as my own and I really think it could go either way at this point. Either Sheryl is a homeless kid found in the slums of Galaxy or she is a clone of Ranshe and was rescued only to be deposited on Galaxy and then some how escaped the hospital and became a homeless kid on the streets. That's really the only hole in your theory. If she was rescued one would think she would have gotten the same treatment as Ranka and wouldn't simply be dumped on the streets.

Good discussion. I'm glad to see that someone actually reads the posts. Welcome again.
Old 2008-08-11, 04:44   Link #268
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Mihail has blond hair and is obviously partial Zentradi from his ears so hair color in MF isn't necessarily a dead give away.
Mikhail is part Zolan.
Old 2008-08-11, 04:46   Link #269
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Mikhail is part Zolan.
Oh you are right. My mistake.
Old 2008-08-11, 05:02   Link #270
mike_s_6

Quote:
Oh you are right. My mistake.

You know I almost typed "Zohan". Hahahaha. Don't you mess with him
Old 2008-08-11, 05:03   Link #271
magnuskn

Quote:
Mikhail is part Zolan.
So, can he theoretically macronize? ^^
Old 2008-08-11, 05:19   Link #272
mike_s_6

Quote:
So, can he theoretically macronize? ^^
There is hope for Klan. (I don't know if he can, but would sure be good if he could!)
Old 2008-08-11, 05:23   Link #273
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajra View Post
Just something I noticed.

Spoiler for Ranshe Mei?:
Wow you're sharp dude in noticing such a small details, too bad tens of other uses have figured this out already.

Quote:
Also: I HATE the new subs (gg). The weird file format (.mkv? What?) doesn't work correctly with VNC or Media Player. Sound goes out of sync with video INSANELY fast, even after I've refreshed the seek bar. Anyone else having problems with this? I wish Kei would release theirs again
Why did you waste forum space and our time for your useless whining? If you don't like gg than download some other fansub otherwise form a fansub team and make your own wonderful fansub of Macross Frontier!!!
Besides that, from how you described the problem you have, it's a misconfiguration of your system: it is YOUR problem to configure it in order to being able to play back anime episodes. There are tons of manuals on the net: google for them and don't waste our time with your whinings anymore please.
Old 2008-08-11, 05:34   Link #274
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Why did you waste forum space and our time for your useless whining? If you don't like gg than download some other fansub otherwise form a fansub team and make your own wonderful fansub of Macross Frontier!!!
Besides that, from how you described the problem you have, it's a misconfiguration of your system: it is YOUR problem to configure it in order to being able to play back anime episodes. There are tons of manuals on the net: google for them and don't waste our time with your whinings anymore please.
He probably has bad codecs, because Media Player Classic is able to play basically anything correctly with the right codecs.

Also, gg's subs have vastly better quality than Kei/Chihiro, so they are worth it for that alone.
Old 2008-08-11, 05:57   Link #275
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Mikhail is part Zolan.

Not possible Zolan males have 2 hair colors, hairy arms and Zolans are marsupials.

Humans and Zolans can have sex but they can't have kids.

Quote:
Ah, mercí. Too bad I won´t get my hands on that one.
Macross Compendium is online. What you want to buy is Macross Chronicle.
Old 2008-08-11, 05:58   Link #276
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Seriously. If you are having issues with VLC then simply get KMPlayer for Windows. You will be much happier. It takes some getting used to as the settings and preferences are different but for me it plays flawlessly.
Old 2008-08-11, 06:09   Link #277
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Cool

Quote:
First off, Welcome to the discussion Mughi!

Second, that's actually a pretty good theory only deviating form my own in small areas.

...That's really the only hole in your theory. If she was rescued one would think she would have gotten the same treatment as Ranka and wouldn't simply be dumped on the streets.
Thanks Kilroy, it's been a long time sine I've posted on AS, so its good to be back.

You're right about the holes in my theory, which is why I'm not married to it. But it does amuse me while I wait for more 411 from upcoming eps...

OTOH, if I were to bother defending it, It'd go like this: Anyone picked up by the military from the wreckage of a half destroyed battle cruiser while giant bugs were attacking would have a good chance of being deposited in a round-up shelter on the rescue ship. If she were a mental mess who could barely deal with herself without her meds, she'd end up homeless. We see this on the streets of cities all over the world. Grace might have lost her in the chaos and had to track her down... Thinking Ranka was dead, her clone experiment would be her only option and would be worth finding and reclaiming.

For her part, Ranka may have been fortunate in that if Ozma were willing to adopt her after coming to Frontier, there's a good chance he knew her parents fairly intimately and made a pact to take care of her if anything ever "happened". I have no proof of this, but something about their relationship leads me to suspect that Ozma was a friend of Ranshe and her husband. Why this pact wouldn't extend to their son, I don't know, but if I had taken in the little girl and her brother turned up one day as a mind numbed, military brainwashed cyborg, I might not be keen to take him in and hook him up with his sister either...

Just a couple more pennies worth of useless babbling from me for you all to ponder and/or refute.

And just to show I can throw a grenade into this discussion too, I like Nanase. I think she's a fun character and enjoy when she gets screen time.
Old 2008-08-11, 06:17   Link #278
mike_s_6

Quote:
Not possible Zolan males have 2 hair colors, hairy arms and Zolans are marsupials.

Humans and Zolans can have sex but they can't have kids.
Official publication says so.

http://animejapan4u.blogspot.com/200...and-novel.html

It could be an inconsistency on their part.
Old 2008-08-11, 06:20   Link #279
magnuskn

Quote:
Macross Compendium is online. What you want to buy is Macross Chronicle.
Yeah, that was that. I´ll have to look up the Macross Compendium again.
Old 2008-08-11, 07:18   Link #280
Goregeist

Quote:
He probably has bad codecs, because Media Player Classic is able to play basically anything correctly with the right codecs.

Also, gg's subs have vastly better quality than Kei/Chihiro, so they are worth it for that alone.
He's just refering to H264 which doesn't respond well to lower Hardware, usually requires a decent Video card as it needs Hardware acceleration, I've been having to stick it out on youtube lately because there haven't been any Xvid subs since 16
Closed Thread