AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-04-06, 23:25   Link #1
Chandela
Straight Chillin

The Partying Thread

So a friend of mine and I were chatting over some alcoholic beverages and we started to discussing a large variety of topics. This is one thing my friend and I enjoy quite a bit, getting wasted and then having a lot of serious discussions.

One of the things we started to discuss was the different kind of people who "party". Now, my friends and I use this term pretty loosely among ourselves and although it can mean a number of things it most likely refers back to either drinking or smoking. So after a bit of talking and more drinking the topic changed and eventually transitioned into "Do people who watch anime avidly, drink or smoke?" We knew their had to be people drink/smoke did because we ourselves do, although it seems that people who watch anime and whatnot are a lot more sensitive when it comes to these kinds of topics.

So my friend and I decided to ask the forum, do you like to "party"?
We would love to hear stories if you have any about some of the parties that you've been to. We have a few of our own if people decide to share theirs.
Around these parts people who drink/smoke easily become buddies with others who do the same so I figure it would work here as well. Gotta live a little, y'know?
So please leave your comments/thoughts and be polite, thanks.

Last edited by Chandela; 2012-04-07 at 06:04.
Chandela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 23:59   Link #2
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

First of all, what kind of smoking are you talking about?
Old 2012-04-07, 00:16   Link #3
Chandela
Straight Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
First of all, what kind of smoking are you talking about?
Cigarettes, marijuana, spice, salvia etc...
It doesn't really matter what you smoke to me, as long as you are aware of the consequences and it would be wonderful if this thread wasn't closed right away or turned into a debate on whether or not this stuff is good for you. I'd like to avoid that if possible.
Old 2012-04-07, 00:32   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Just so long as people don't start talking about their fun times with crack or meth, we'll probably be fine.
Old 2012-04-07, 05:59   Link #5
Chandela
Straight Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Just so long as people don't start talking about their fun times with crack or meth, we'll probably be fine.
I doubt it will matter in the end, I've sobered up a good amount since I started typing this and I am beginning to think that the anime community lacks the daring (Which apparently offends some people when I say that ) to do any of the things I listed above. Not saying that its a bad thing that people don't but it would be interesting to talk to people that did. I guess anime and drugs are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but its whatever.

Last edited by Chandela; 2012-04-10 at 14:18.
Old 2012-04-07, 13:58   Link #6
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

I used to chug down beer by the gallon, back in college.
Now, Iīm allergic to the stuff.
On the same college period I once went on a paintball camping trip with my posse and I filled my canteen with muscat.
Whatever was inside there already make me grow so sick of the stuff that I canīt even smell the beverage nowadays without feling nauseous.
BUT
Losing beer and muscat made me branch out into other tastes like a good liquor and sweet wines - crazy about the stuff-.

Just donīt give me too much of the stuff, Iīm one of those guys who gets too happy and too talkative too fast.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 15:54   Link #7
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandela View Post
I doubt it will matter in the end, I've sobered up a good amount since I started typing this and I am beginning to think that the anime community lacks the daring to do any of the things I listed above. Not saying that its a bad thing that people don't but it would be interesting to talk to people that did. I guess anime and drugs are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but its whatever.
I wouldn't say that to be honest - I feel it's down to personal choice as to whether you want to do something like that or not. The fact that we like anime doesn't come into it.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of getting wasted and/or getting high off a variety of substances (and if nothing else, I'm silly enough when sober - I dare not wonder what I'd be like drunk/high ). Each to their own, really.
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 16:30   Link #8
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
It matters not if you watch anime or not to decide whether or not someone is more daring than others. It depends on the person really. I know people who get high daily and watch some anime as long as it has blood etc. in it and some who watch a lot and have no personal taste whatsoever. It matters not if you watch anime a lot or a little when it comes to personal taste.

As for parties; personally I dont get too high at parties because you have no idea what happens when you are too wasted. I once went to one with a friend and with a guy he knew and he was not only stoned wasted at this point but he decided to drink a triple beer right after as well (while being stoned and drunk). He ended up puking out a bucket and sleeping on the floor for 2 hours before we could wake him up to go home. This ladies and gents is why you never get too wasted.

Other than that I had enough roomies making a mess while they were drunk in my house; from one playing the banjo from 3-5 in the morning while neighbours tried to kick in our front door because they made so much noise to a foreign student falling asleep in our hallway and keeping us all up from 3-8 am.

I've never done too stupid things myself, never did things like salvia because it leaves you entirely out of control of your mindset and body and can make you do things you do not want to do. 1 hit wouldn't do this but doing multiple can cause serious injury by your own actions (like the famous vid of a guy jumping out of his own window after dropping a lighter and his gf wasn't even able to get up from the couch). Things like that go too far for me. Weed or hasj every once in a while okay, if I have some buds over or at a party where it is tolerable then yes. I never got wasted of alcohol or drugs at parties because with a larger crowd you sort of want to be in control, with a group of close friends yes.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 08:39   Link #9
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandela View Post
So my friend and I decided to ask the forum, do you like to "party"?
[Murtaugh]I'm getting too old for this shit[/Murtaugh]

I hit puberty at the time the 'House'-craze hit and Weed was de-illegalized over here (Alcohol was prohibited below 16 ...uhuh...yeah, right)
At the time I didn't mind being intoxicated and certainly have been more than I can and care to remember
but I certainly didn't go partying for the reason to get intoxicated (unlike many people around me at the time)

With Partying it's like this:
One day you're gonna wake up with a splitting headache, vomit over the stairs, the living room thrashed, your means of transportation gone or damaged, people calling you to tell you what an ass you've been, broke, bleeding, finding yourself in the garden, toilet, policecell

...or a combination of the above

and then you either consider it not worth the trouble anymore or you're heading towards an early grave

I still like a drink now and again, don't like partying anymore
...but I still watch anime
Old 2012-04-09, 09:45   Link #10
monsta666

I am not a big party man and while I have gone on the bender every now and then I am not a big fan of getting wasted every week. But I say that because I like jogging or using some weights and excessive drinking is just not compatible with that lifestyle.

I did drink more in my first and second year of uni and did go partying on a more a regular basis but think those days have past me. I don't mind the drinking and can control myself even when very drunk (I think people who do stupid things while drunk just use alcohol as a excuse for bad behaviour). What does my head in is the hang over. Now the hang over can be bad (very bad if I truly let go ) but the worst part is the day after is always a write off while I get over the effects of the hang over which is a major drag.

As for other stuff, I have not taken drugs myself; I just don't see the point in it. Don't have much of a problem with my mates doing provided it is within reason. I don't want to be with someone where their lives revolves around drugs. What I would say regarding the comment about anime fans not doing drugs/alcohol is that I have not noticed the people who are into anime tend to be more risk adverse so they are less likely to take drugs or drink excessively. But that is only my experience and I am not sure what it will be like with others but I will stress that what I say is not absolute. I said anime fans tend to take to less drugs/drink but that is not to say they don't do it at all. Plus when you think about the whole party scene tends to attract extroverts and people who are very outgoing and like crowds. The typical anime fan does not really have those personality trait so on that token they would tend to be less exposed to drugs.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 10:06   Link #11
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

~set the time machine to 1989-1990~

These were the days when I was hanging out at clubs like the Roxy, Whiskey a Go Go, The Rainbow, Gazzari's, the Troubadour and the Coconut Teaser every single Friday and Saturday night for a least a couple of years. Lots of drinking and partying with punk rock girls. I drove a black 1971 Camaro. Everyone wore KNAC shirts and/or hats. I rubbed shoulders with people like Axl Rose, Slash, Diamond Darryl, what's-his-face from Bon Jovi, and a bunch of B-listers I can't even remember now. Although I definitely remember shaking hands and having a short chat with Weird Al Yankovic.

Mostly I remember the music, the drinking and the sex. I didn't really get into drugs, but I did smoke some pot now and then. (Remind me to tell you guys about the 6 foot bong incident sometime). That crowd definitely would not have understood anime and I kept my love of anime well hidden, except for when I managed to get a girl to my place and she saw my Yamato and Macross models, but even then they rarely paid any attention to those.

That was a world I left long time ago.

These days, I only have a beer or two a month. Don't smoke anything, haven't for about 15 years. I consider hanging out with good friends and having some great BBQ a good party.

Endless "Rubbing shoulders" Soul
Old 2012-04-10, 10:36   Link #12
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
The kinds of parties I go to really vary. Parties with friends = at someone's house LAN, social games and a lot of alcohol. My best friend has his basement renovated into a dance studio with wall mounted mirrors and surround sound. Used to do stuff but I live in a different city now.

I don't smoke or drink beer. Alcohol would be all sorts of cocktails, plain Captain Morgan, Vodka, Tequila, and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Er_guo_tou (typically 60~75%). Casual would be baileys, dry wine (for me, I can't stand sweet wine).

It's very hard to get me to pass out or mentally drunk. When I drink too much I start vomiting and revert back to almost sober x(
------
Alone or with very specific friends:
Shitty local dance clubs (I am a hiphop dancer. While my bboying is mediocre because of my upper body strength, I really like it). It's very hard to get me in the zone to dance unless I'm in a crowded and upbeat club environment. Man I hate their music.

I've been to a rave but didn't like it. Too much druggies and dry humping, too little social interactions, and I can't get to any good ones with music I like.

No nude parties. Errr, not intentional ones. University parties always has that chance where some random group of girls would take off their clothes. High chance they're not even students.

For me, #1 importance of partying is the noise. Either loud music or loud chatter. Everything else is secondary xP.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 13:32   Link #13
Kyuu
=^^=

This thread needs some of this:
http://flashyloops.eastofosaka.net/party/

Now, I'm not much of a party guy. But, I've taken advantage of a few "party" situations - where yea, I've gone from tipsy to flat-out drunk. However, I refuse to get drunk to the point, where I'd forget what happened. I'd like to be able to remember these things, so that I can look back and remember: "LOL".

For anime people? Some anime conventions DO indeed turn out this way.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 14:49   Link #14
Chandela
Straight Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Mostly I remember the music, the drinking and the sex. I didn't really get into drugs, but I did smoke some pot now and then. (Remind me to tell you guys about the 6 foot bong incident sometime). That crowd definitely would not have understood anime and I kept my love of anime well hidden, except for when I managed to get a girl to my place and she saw my Yamato and Macross models, but even then they rarely paid any attention to those.
First, I would love to hear about the 6 foot bong incident. Secondly, I am glad that someone else understands that you can still get girls even if you have anime merchandise in your room. Some people around here find it hard to believe when you have Shugo Chara and Vocaloid figures in your room but I can't blame them for thinking that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Now, I'm not much of a party guy. But, I've taken advantage of a few "party" situations - where yea, I've gone from tipsy to flat-out drunk. However, I refuse to get drunk to the point, where I'd forget what happened. I'd like to be able to remember these things, so that I can look back and remember: "LOL".

For anime people? Some anime conventions DO indeed turn out this way.
As of my posting this, I refuse to get drunk to the point where I don't remember anything. Drinking isn't fun if I don't remember drinking in the first place! I wake up the next morning vomiting and I don't even know why!!
Oh yeah some anime cons can DEFINITELY turn out that way, can't believe I didn't think of that earlier

Wow such interesting responses! I wouldn't mind sharing a drink or a hit (depending on your preference) with some of the people on this forum
Old 2012-04-10, 15:07   Link #15
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Most of my drinking friends aren't knock-out drinkers that faint/get hungover/not remember a thing.

We drink heavy but not in consecutive shots. A bottle of vodka would go down between 4 people over a span of several hours (like 8pm to 6am). Oh yeah I can't stand house parties that aren't all-nighters. It feels like valuable time not used D:
--------------

Fan merchandise has its limits though. With the exception that your date has same hobbies as you, your entire room littered with miniature models and posters is definitely going to have a creeper effect to it. It doesn't matter if it's anime or not. You don't want anything to show that you're a fanatic towards anything.

What does sound amazing is a cosplay party O: Like anime/game coosssplay, not some halloween costume fest. I would totally go. I'd love to play around with my appearance again. I've been plain ol' me for what feels like forever D:
Old 2012-04-11, 10:36   Link #16
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

My group of friends tend to only have parties for holidays - New Year's Day, Fourth of July, Halloween, and Christmas are the big ones. (The Super Bowl also warrants a party.) Everyone brings a food item and we watch the game or some movies. Then we play board and card games until everyone has stayed up far too late, and we call it a night. None of us are big drinkers, so there's almost never any alcohol involved.
Old 2012-04-11, 16:52   Link #17
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

The last party I attended would have to be one of the more bizarre parties I have been too in an amazing way. It was my girlfriends best friend/room mates birthday and all he wanted to do was get drunk and play amnesia the dark descent (if you haven't played this game...youtube it and you will see the greatness of it) So in the end it was 10 people drinking in the dark playing the creepiest, scariest pc game ever made....and it was amazing.
Old 2012-04-11, 20:22   Link #18
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizoku Keenan View Post
The last party I attended would have to be one of the more bizarre parties I have been too in an amazing way. It was my girlfriends best friend/room mates birthday and all he wanted to do was get drunk and play amnesia the dark descent (if you haven't played this game...youtube it and you will see the greatness of it) So in the end it was 10 people drinking in the dark playing the creepiest, scariest pc game ever made....and it was amazing.
I can only imagine the lolz that ensued. xD

And yeah, I like "partying." But I don't drink or smoke.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 21:13   Link #19
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Dark crescent is better alone and filmed by a camera/webcam

The "HOLY %@^@SHIT HOLY I DON'T WANT TO PLAY THIS ANYMORE" amplifies so much more.

What's a good video game to play when tipsy/drunk/high at a party?
Preferably a game that appeals to any random person? I know Dark crescent is good with that. You don't need to have any interest in gaming to appreciate the creepiness. Or fatal frame or any high octane horror video games. If only Marble Hornets was a game.

Being drunk has absolutely no effect on me when it comes to DDR.
Fighting games or 4-player FPS usually only appeals to gamers =/
Happy Wheels?
QWOP?
QWOP DDR? (cracked photoplasty)

------
I'm really bad at finding things to do when the party-ers have low tolerance for alcohol because that means no drinking games.
Old 2012-04-12, 05:38   Link #20
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Dark crescent is better alone and filmed by a camera/webcam

The "HOLY %@^@SHIT HOLY I DON'T WANT TO PLAY THIS ANYMORE" amplifies so much more.

What's a good video game to play when tipsy/drunk/high at a party?
Preferably a game that appeals to any random person? I know Dark crescent is good with that. You don't need to have any interest in gaming to appreciate the creepiness. Or fatal frame or any high octane horror video games. If only Marble Hornets was a game.

Being drunk has absolutely no effect on me when it comes to DDR.
Fighting games or 4-player FPS usually only appeals to gamers =/
Happy Wheels?
QWOP?
QWOP DDR? (cracked photoplasty)

------
I'm really bad at finding things to do when the party-ers have low tolerance for alcohol because that means no drinking games.
When you are playing with 2 gay guys, 2 girls and a bunch of drunkenly paranoid dudes the OMFG TURN THIS OFF!!!! factor is still there, think we played it from pm until 3am lol. The water part always gets me and I could watch the reaction youtubes videos all day long, so funny.

My drink of choice will always be Morgans Spice and coke although I do prefer sailor jerry and coke but its hard to come by.