AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-10-08, 01:00   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 763 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Okay, spoiler is out courtesy of AP's Redon:

-Chapter title is something like "Human Declaration". The ministory has Jinbei and the cat fish discovering some building at the port town.

-The chapter begins on an interesting note.... Doflamingo wakes up from a nightmare involving him, his father, and brother being lynched by an angry mob. He wakes up (we get a brief glimpse of one of his eyes, BTW), and we then get a flashback within the flashback about Dofla's past, 33 years ago. We're introduced to his parents (the father's name is something like "St. Homing", I think). And we see various events like papa Donquixote renouncing his noble status, the family living among commoners, and eventually, the mother passing away. We also see the former nobles being assaulted by people who I assume are former slaves (and probably led up to the scene in Dofla's nightmare).....

-Back in the present (of Law's flashback), Law is brought to Dofla for punishment. Law's particularly surprised to see that Corazon is completely fine after the stabbing. However, it seems that Dofla isn't angry at Law after all, and instead wants to train him to be his right hand. What follows is a montage of Law's training and various (often violent) adventures with the Dofla Family.

-During a conversation with Baby-5 and Buffalo, Law reveals that his full name is TRAFALGAR D. WATER LAW. Suddenly, Corazon appears and snatches Law away! Looks like he overheard Law's confession that he's a "D", and warns him (yes, from his own mouth) to not get any closer to his brother for that very reason.....!!!

So, more insight to Law's past, and the reveal that Law is a D.... a very informative chapter, methinks. And so, time to let the usual (often baseless) speculations run wild!

Last edited by marvelB; 2014-10-15 at 01:22.
Old 2014-10-08, 01:51   Link #2
marvelB

Okay, updated with a more complete summary now that the raw's out (though I'll have to wait for guys like Aohige to iron out the finer details, heh).
Old 2014-10-08, 08:08   Link #3
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Now that's strange, why would Doflamingo care about a "D" being among him? Maybe this will finally shed some more light on what "D" actually stands for?
Old 2014-10-08, 08:15   Link #4
Baron-Zara

Holy Shit! Got goosebumps after reading this :O

First with Doffy's past O_o? Last week we were thinking that Law's tragic past makes Doffy's seem like childs play but this chap proved us totally wrong. Quite the past there. Being beaten up and living like shit then being hanged by the hands while getting shit thrown at him.

Loved the scenes with Law being a part of Doflamingo's crew. Were pretty fun to see them live as pirates ^^ I wonder how exactly he got treated from his condition? We have theories but still waiting for the reveal.

And finally...DAT FRIGGIN TWIST!!!!! O_O Law's a D?!?! People thought about it before but having it confirmed was quite shocking :O And it was shocking enough to make Corazon talk XD I wonder why Doffy hates them so much?

How r they related to the Celestial Dragons and the World Government? I hope we get more info about "D" this flashback.

Also wondering why Law uses his mom's name? He didn't seem to dislike his dad at all. Is there some secret about his family?
Old 2014-10-08, 08:32   Link #5
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

maybe it's finally time to find out the history about the "D"?
Old 2014-10-08, 08:35   Link #6
jopjopjop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron-Zara View Post
Also wondering why Law uses his mom's name? He didn't seem to dislike his dad at all. Is there some secret about his family?
Probably nothing that important. It's just like how some parents put their own names as part of the name of their child.

Pretty sure that's what Law would've said if he wasn't interrupted by Baby-5.
Old 2014-10-08, 09:02   Link #7
Casshern

OP has always had some loathsome villains like Wapol, Crocodile, Spandam, Blackbeard etc, and Oda can sometimes be brutal with his characters, but I think the overall atmosphere of the manga has turned quite a bit darker in this arc than it ever was before. Not that I'm complaining, just something I noticed.
Old 2014-10-08, 09:07   Link #8
kakakka

It was quite ironic(?) that Doffy's persecution in the past was triggered because he could not keep his mouth shut, that he had to boast they were Celestial Dragons to all he meet.
Old 2014-10-08, 09:27   Link #9
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

btw, maybe dofla's middle name is also D? i mean his name already has that letter everywhere..
Donquixote Doflamingo
Donquixote D. Doflamingo
Old 2014-10-08, 10:25   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Is it finally time for us to learn the truth about D? I seriously doubt it since this is just a flashback that isn't being narrated to any other character, but who knows?

Law being a D isn't all that surprising I suppose. It's like super saiyan, it becomes more and more common as the story progresses. I expect more characters to be revealed as D later on.
Old 2014-10-08, 10:45   Link #11
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Alright, now Oda's gone and done it. I don't like the fact that Law's also a D, it's one thing for Law to have Haki too, as the Tine skip went on we soon began to realize that it's not that special after all and I'm fine with that. When begin to change things like this is when I get flippin angry. I've been along time One Piece fan,since the early years of part one and had to put up with a lot of new type of things, some I liked and some I didn't but I stuck through it and was really looking forward to up coming events. I loved that it was only in Luffy's family name, some thing like this really put a sting in my heart. I don't think I'll be able to continue the series now

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2014-10-08, 11:04   Link #12
itachi-san314

^that's a pretty strong reaction to learning about a new D name

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
btw, maybe dofla's middle name is also D? i mean his name already has that letter everywhere..
Donquixote Doflamingo
Donquixote D. Doflamingo
perhaps it's actually Donquixote D Flamingo
Old 2014-10-08, 11:08   Link #13
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
Donquixote Doflamingo
Donquixote D. Doflamingo
Maybe. But this chapter his father was introduced, and shouldn't he have it as well then?

Though Doffy's brother (who is named after a horse ) looks a bit like an Okama.
Old 2014-10-08, 11:14   Link #14
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Though Doffy's brother (who is named after a horse ) looks a bit like an Okama.
or a cross between alex from a clockwork orange and the joker
Old 2014-10-08, 11:19   Link #15
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

poor Law... if only you don't have D in your name, you might survive until the end of this anime (since I predict only one D would alive at the end)

It's nice to see Law getting along with that weapon girl (Baby 5 or something?)
and Corazon seems having different opinion with his bro
Old 2014-10-08, 11:37   Link #16
Diablo_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
Alright, now Oda's gone and done it. I don't like the fact that Law's also a D, it's one thing for Law to have Haki too, as the Tine skip went on we soon began to realize that it's not that special after all and I'm fine with that. When begin to change things like this is when I get flippin angry. I've been along time One Piece fan,since the early years of part one and had to put up with a lot of new type of things, some I liked and some I didn't but I stuck through it and was really looking forward to up coming events. I loved that it was only in Luffy's family name, some thing like this really put a sting in my heart. I don't think I'll be able to continue the series now
You're way overreacting. The D. wasn't exclusive to Luffy's family at all before this. Look at all the D's in the series so far:

Monkey D Luffy
Monkey D Garp
Monkey D Dragon
Portgas D Ace
Portgas D Rouge
Gol D Roger
Marshall D Teach
Jaguar D Saul

More than half aren't even (bloodrelated) family to Luffy.
Old 2014-10-08, 12:01   Link #17
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

How cruel it is to see the only Celestial Dragon family in the series to believe they're just as equal as any other human beings in the world meet a fate like that. Doflamingo is turning out to be a bit of a sympathetic antagonist.

If the "D." is a sore spot for Doflamingo, it may have some sort of connection to that time of tragedy in his life.
Old 2014-10-08, 13:25   Link #18
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Ok, maybe I'm more annoyed with the fact that any one outside of really big shots and Luffy are D related, does that make sense? I thought it was awesome when big names like Black Beard / Rodger / Garp had D in the names, that made D special and powerful. When some other rookie such as Law gets it, starts to become annoying and less meaningful in my opinion.

If we are going to keep this a trend between the rookie rivals having D in the name I hope Kid has it next than, I liked the rivalry Luffy had with him at least

I'd have honestly preferred Kid having instead of Law, only him and Luffy out of the rookie rival trio. With Kid it'd make more sense to me, I guess I'll stay around cuz I'm looking forward to Kid entering the arcs soon.

I can't be the only one in the fandom annoyed with this here.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2014-10-08, 13:36   Link #19
noktown

Quote:
Ok, maybe I'm more annoyed with the fact that any one outside of really big shots and Luffy are D related, does that make sense? I thought it was awesome when big names like Black Beard / Rodger / Garp had D in the names, that made D special and powerful. When some other rookie such as Law gets it, starts to become annoying and less meaningful in my opinion.

Blackbeard wasn't that big of a name until he actually became and Emperor.Also all the other big names were rookies at some point.
Old 2014-10-08, 13:48   Link #20
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Quote:

If we are going to keep this a trend between the rookie rivals having D in the name I hope Kid has it next than, I liked the rivalry Luffy had with him at least

I'd have honestly preferred Kid having instead of Law, only him and Luffy out of the rookie rival trio. With Kid it'd make more sense to me, I guess I'll stay around cuz I'm looking forward to Kid entering the arcs soon.

did u get mad too when people left and right were shown to have Haoshoku Haki? it's basically the same concept right?
as the series continues more people will be shown to have Haoshoku Haki...
same thing happened with super saiyan