Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2013-07-20, 10:28   Link #201
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I better take a walk..... People today are becoming too lazy....
It isn't always laziness. I've had quite a few patients who were overweight and knew it, and wanted to do something about it. We would go through their lifestyle together and find that fitting exercise in isn't easy. There's a lack of time, there may be confounding health issues preventing "normal" exercises, and often there's also a lack of resources (no access to viable or safe exercising areas, inability to afford exercising equipment or gym memberships; this is doubly important for people living in unsafe areas or with confounding health problems).

Cutting to the chase, what's so special about exercise? A few years ago I went to a fascinating lecture where they examined this in mice. There are many changes that occur, but they focused on mitochondria. Doing things like jogging or swimming increases the number of mitochondria in your cells. If you stop exercising then the number of mitochondria diminish. By "artificially" increasing the number of mitochondria in mice via cell signaling manipulation, they created mice with no special training that had the endurance to outlast mice that had been on a regular training schedule.

I don't recall the lecturers talking about what effect this might have on obesity. We like to think of mitochondria as the "energy furnaces" of cells, and simply having more might help to burn away more energy at a basal state. Even if it doesn't, allowing someone to exercise for hours, without having to go through the weeks and months of building up exercise tolerance, would certainly allow them to burn off more energy even if simply having a greater basal mitochondria count would not.
Old 2013-07-20, 21:31   Link #202
SummeryDreams

Exercise is more like burning excess fats rather than increasing BMR, I believe. When you are exercising, you'll demand more ATP than usual, thus you have all your reserves in form of fats. So using your reserve fats will decrease your weight.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 03:43   Link #203
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It isn't always laziness.
Hmmm.... I just prefer exercise that those things.... I don't know.. I just feel like even endorsing them to patients..... Personally, I don't take supplements ( vitamins etc) but rely on my own body's to become strong and resistant to the common infections..... I've been working in an infections ward for six months with wearing a mask and not a scar was seen in my X ray nor unusualities in my lab works...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 02:48   Link #204
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So doctors and medical professionals in my general extended family are wishing me luck for my licensure exams 3 weeks from now. They also told me that I need to work harder because the fact that I repeated a subject and got held back a year means I'll have inherent difficulties finding training unless I'm like in the top 20 of the entire country for that exam.

What a nice depressing thought.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 02:59   Link #205
NoemiChan
Banned

Good luck Doc...
Old 2013-07-24, 04:19   Link #206
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
So doctors and medical professionals in my general extended family are wishing me luck for my licensure exams 3 weeks from now. They also told me that I need to work harder because the fact that I repeated a subject and got held back a year means I'll have inherent difficulties finding training unless I'm like in the top 20 of the entire country for that exam.

Here is something to press you on : think of all the lolis you can get to treat if you do well.

Good luck for your exams!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 16:38   Link #207
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

If you need some help, maybe you can approach me. I have a very good retention, I believe I can still sustain you very detailed stuffs about medical related topics, especially pathophysiology. It's difficult to forget things that you love, yah know.
Old 2013-07-28, 00:50   Link #208
NoemiChan
Banned

Yeah, I remember when I was back in college, I always pick pathophysiology in our group report.... It's the best part of reporting where you could learn a lot and even guess possible treatment easily,,,,
Old 2013-07-28, 04:40   Link #209
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Yeah, I remember when I was back in college, I always pick pathophysiology in our group report.... It's the best part of reporting where you could learn a lot and even guess possible treatment easily,,,,
That is my favorite subject. With excellence in pathophysiology, you can actual diagnose a patient base on the clinical manifestation. The thing is, you can only suggest that to the physician, but this means very handy in their part. Physician sometimes are having headache with the diagnosis especially that we lack new technologies here, that is why our suggestion are very much appreciated. Atleast we can give them ideas, right?
Old 2013-07-28, 15:04   Link #210
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Personally, I don't take supplements ( vitamins etc) but rely on my own body's to become strong and resistant to the common infections..... I've been working in an infections ward for six months with wearing a mask and not a scar was seen in my X ray nor unusualities in my lab works...
Not everyone has your body, not everyone has your genetics.
Old 2013-07-28, 15:06   Link #211
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Not everyone has your superior body, not everyone has your superhuman genetics.
Fixed that for you. It's the ubermensch.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 17:11   Link #212
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Not everyone has your body, not everyone has your genetics.
True, and speaking of which. I forgot that I've took a drink of Red Bull like 10 hours ago and I've took another shput two hours after, damn It's 7am here and I don't feel sleepy at all.
Old 2013-07-30, 03:03   Link #213
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Fixed that for you. It's the ubermensch.
I love you.
Old 2013-07-31, 22:48   Link #214
AnimeFan188

Lose weight with a shot? NC hospital develops 'Obesity Vaccine':

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/entertain...z/-/index.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 12:51   Link #215
AnimeFan188

Technology Really Is Making You Fat (But Not How You Think):

"It's lazy to point out that technology makes us lazy. Of course it does. The entire idea
of technology is predicated around an efficiency whose end is specifically a decline in
human exertion. You know, lazy. But technology's actually making us fat for another
reason altogether."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/technology-really...u-th-966147894
Old 2013-08-02, 14:37   Link #216
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Technology Really Is Making You Fat (But Not How You Think):

"It's lazy to point out that technology makes us lazy. Of course it does. The entire idea
of technology is predicated around an efficiency whose end is specifically a decline in
human exertion. You know, lazy. But technology's actually making us fat for another
reason altogether."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/technology-really...u-th-966147894
Yea I agree, I was once in a medicine diet. Like just take these medicines and you'll lost weight in two weeks. yes it did, lose more than 10 kilos. The thing is, I've find myself really been lazy exercising, I was like, "Oh I have that diet, I'll just buy it next time if I get fat again."
Old 2013-08-03, 05:38   Link #217
NoemiChan
Banned

Why people still complain even just to walk around the house? LOls
Old 2013-08-03, 18:12   Link #218
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Why people still complain even just to walk around the house? LOls
Because I'm lazy. haha.. Seriously, I'm the laziest nurse in the world. All I want is to eat and sleep, play games. I'm so much aware of its impact to my health, but I can't help it. I really love to eat and sleep, just that. If given the freedom, I can sleep more than 16 hours a day.
Old 2013-08-03, 20:08   Link #219
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
Because I'm lazy. haha.. Seriously, I'm the laziest nurse in the world. All I want is to eat and sleep, play games. I'm so much aware of its impact to my health, but I can't help it. I really love to eat and sleep, just that. If given the freedom, I can sleep more than 16 hours a day.
Well, maybe someday there'll be a vaccine for that......
Old 2013-08-03, 20:53   Link #220
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Well, maybe someday there'll be a vaccine for that......
Didn't give some valid explanations for me. I'm not convinced. I will take it into considerations if it explains the product in the cellular level. Too risky, I'm better of fat than being sick because of dieting medicines.