AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-11-20, 23:15   Link #661
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

My belief is there should be a source attached to this information.
Old 2010-11-20, 23:21   Link #662
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Touche.
Old 2010-11-20, 23:25   Link #663
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Its all over the Internet... Such as here.

"Genetic on Universal Neutral Different Alloy -NUM" or "電気的に中性な異種構造の宇宙製合金"

"Mobile Suit" in AC is apparently "Manipulatable Order Build and Industrial Labors Extended SUIT" or "建設及び工業労働用有腕式拡充型(宇宙)服"
Old 2010-11-20, 23:25   Link #664
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Like I said on the previous page, Wikipedia. Hence the word "apparently" because my resource was only Wikipedia.

Go to Google and type Gundanium Alloy.

About the word genetics, I'm not sure about what I said. I said that because I reckon seeing it that way makes more sense to me. Your speculation sounds better and simpler than mine though.

It doesn't really matter that much. However the Gundams in Wing are considered Gundams, they're still badass for me. "IT'S A... GUNDAAAAMMMM!!" -> epic.
MichaelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 23:29   Link #665
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
The only acronym from the Wing universe that I've officially seen spelled out comes via the Gundam Wing MS Encyclopedia:

Quote:
MSとは、Manipulative Order Build and Industrial Labors Extended Suit (=建設および工業労働用有腕式拡充型(宇宙)服)の略で、コロニー建設に用いられたマニピュレーター付き 有人機のことである。
Quote:
ゼロシステムは「Zoning and Emotional Range Omitted System (=領域化、及び情動域欠落化装置)」の略で、このシステムの特徴は、「勝利」を得るために必要な行動を、 コンソールを通じて直接パイロットの脳に伝達できることであった。
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 23:33   Link #666
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
The only acronym from the Wing universe that I've officially seen spelled out comes via the Gundam Wing MS Encyclopedia:
So in AC it's MOBILE Suit. I rather like it.
Old 2010-11-21, 02:16   Link #667
wingzerosnuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKnight View Post

Anyway Long Live, in the romance department, although wingzerosnuggles has said that it's not a major point, I'll tell you my personal opinion about it. Although the Zechs/Noin and the Duo/Hilde romance don't have much effect on the story, especially the latter, I think the Heero/Relena and the Treize/Lady relationship are extremely vital to the series that I don't think it would end the way it did if it also weren't for the effect those women have on the men.
I do like how undeniable Zechs/Noin and Duo/Hilde seems to be. Noin actually admitted she loved Zechs.

Duo/Hilde actually live together. She does the grocery shopping for him. They go to the park to watch dogs and children. Duo actually found out Trowa was alive because he let Hilde drag him to the circus. Also, love the look of anguish on his face when she got hurt. They had this nice back and forth where he calls her an idiot while trying not to cry and she insists she wanted to help him. In Endless Waltz, I think those two had the happiest ending out of everyone. OVA and manga have them still working together at the junkyard. Movie has them on a lunch date where he proceeds to choke on his food. It's kind of why I'm convinced that Duo Jr.'s mother is her. Hilde doesn't show up at all in EW but the writers felt the need to put her in ALL of Duo's endings. It would be such a buzzkill if she's dead though.
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 03:10   Link #668
gundamnedgirl03

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzerosnuggles View Post
I do like how undeniable Zechs/Noin and Duo/Hilde seems to be. Noin actually admitted she loved Zechs.

Duo/Hilde actually live together. She does the grocery shopping for him. They go to the park to watch dogs and children. Duo actually found out Trowa was alive because he let Hilde drag him to the circus. Also, love the look of anguish on his face when she got hurt. They had this nice back and forth where he calls her an idiot while trying not to cry and she insists she wanted to help him. In Endless Waltz, I think those two had the happiest ending out of everyone. OVA and manga have them still working together at the junkyard. Movie has them on a lunch date where he proceeds to choke on his food. It's kind of why I'm convinced that Duo Jr.'s mother is her. Hilde doesn't show up at all in EW but the writers felt the need to put her in ALL of Duo's endings. It would be such a buzzkill if she's dead though.
i think i know why he chokes?

hilde: so i got some news for you, honey.
duo: *munches on his food*
hilde: i went to the doctor. found out i'm pregnant! ahahahahaha!!!!!! funny, ay!
duo: *chokes*
gundamnedgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 03:27   Link #669
wingzerosnuggles

Clip of EW ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBb1HygFpJE

Fast forward to 3:00.

Yeah, she was definitely talking before he choked. xD So cute that she hands him the tea to wash it down.
Old 2010-11-21, 03:29   Link #670
Kitsoru
:3c

Quote:
http://www.gundamofficial.com/www_ac...echnology.html
Not so much the acronym bit of it, but:
Quote:
Gundam
An advanced mobile suit made entirely from Gundanium alloy, from which it derives it name.
(Gotta love the typos in the official site. So professional. )
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 03:33   Link #671
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
(Gotta love the typos in the official site. So professional. )
I was on my way home from class the other day and saw a sign that said "Now hireing".
Old 2010-11-21, 04:29   Link #672
gundamnedgirl03

Quote:
Clip of EW ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBb1HygFpJE

Fast forward to 3:00.

Yeah, she was definitely talking before he choked. xD So cute that she hands him the tea to wash it down.
hahaha hell yeah she was. 9 months later lil duo jr was born. <3

anyway has anyone else in here seen this? i know it has nothing to do with frozen teardrop. i just thought it's epic so i put it here because i'm cool like that. xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3NuufFcnVY

LOL @ quatre!!
Old 2010-11-21, 04:34   Link #673
wingzerosnuggles

Nah, unlikely. EW ends in AC 197, and FT is 30 years later. Duo Jr. is only 15. Then again, Sumisawa's defied the rules of math before. xD
Old 2010-11-21, 04:42   Link #674
gundamnedgirl03

lol it was a joke, we all know that's not what she said xD
Old 2010-11-21, 15:13   Link #675
Kitsoru

Quote:
Nah, unlikely. EW ends in AC 197, and FT is 30 years later. Duo Jr. is only 15. Then again, Sumisawa's defied the rules of math before. xD
Irrelevant as I'm sure we'll get an official age at some point, but I peg Jr. as a bit younger. The way he's drawn he definitely looks much younger than Asagi ever drew Duo at series-age. He looks somewhere between how Duo was drawn at age 8 and closer to when he met Prof. G (despite a different artist doing Ep 0, it's still younger in comparison to how she drew Duo in BT). I peg him for around 10-12.

But that's just my headcanon-ing.
Old 2010-11-21, 15:21   Link #676
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Its all over the Internet... Such as here.

"Genetic on Universal Neutral Different Alloy -NUM" or "電気的に中性な異種構造の宇宙製合金"

"Mobile Suit" in AC is apparently "Manipulatable Order Build and Industrial Labors Extended SUIT" or "建設及び工業労働用有腕式拡充型(宇宙)服"
Wow, an acronym for Gundam is alright. But an acronym for Mobile Suit?! It's already quite...literal and self explanatory. It's also one of the few non-engrish Anime terms....wow they really ruined it. That's like giving an acronym to Laughing-out-Loud...l.a.u.g.h.i.n.g.o.u.t.l.o.u.d.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 20:23   Link #677
gundamnedgirl03

yeah i know. pfft. mobile as an acronym is an overkill. it was never mentioned in the series though, all this time it was hidden in the manual. darn im starting to eat my words! no, wait, *spit, spit* i won't... nevah... its gundam wing so for me its super forgivable. and yes its cuz im bias like that mwahaha XD
Old 2010-11-21, 21:42   Link #678
Long Live

Ok so I decided to finally watch it... thanks for the rundown, everyone.

I'm up to episode 7. I'm watching it in English, btw. What would you guys recommend though? The Jap dub?

Anyhow...
Is it just me or it's fast-paced and kind of vague in details... but so far so good. I'm just a bit confused. But I'm not bored... yet. Ok, no offense, GW fans!

I don't get why the Gundam pilots were sent to Earth without knowing about each other's existence. Is there some explanation for this? Wouldn't be easier for them if they know they have comrades or something.

I can see Heero is the protagonist. That much is obvious. But is he the anti-hero protagonist type though? Like Light Yagami?? He was laughing when he killed 3 people on episode 1. That's scary. I don't think I've seen Kira or Setsuna do that.
Long Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 01:49   Link #679
Kitsoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Live View Post
Ok so I decided to finally watch it... thanks for the rundown, everyone.

I'm up to episode 7. I'm watching it in English, btw. What would you guys recommend though? The Jap dub?

Anyhow...
Is it just me or it's fast-paced and kind of vague in details... but so far so good. I'm just a bit confused. But I'm not bored... yet. Ok, no offense, GW fans!

I don't get why the Gundam pilots were sent to Earth without knowing about each other's existence. Is there some explanation for this? Wouldn't be easier for them if they know they have comrades or something.

I can see Heero is the protagonist. That much is obvious. But is he the anti-hero protagonist type though? Like Light Yagami?? He was laughing when he killed 3 people on episode 1. That's scary. I don't think I've seen Kira or Setsuna do that.
Personally I enjoy the original Japanese more because Midorikawa's Heero and his subtle emotionality is so fantastic, and I love me some Seki Toshihiko-- but Scott McNeil is also awesome so I enjoy watching the Duo-heavy episodes in English especially. Either way is good, though. The English dub had its translation issues here and there but the official sub of the series was a 'dubtitle' so you aren't going to gain anything through the subs. It's just a matter of voice preference.

The series is pretty fast-paced. I don't know many people who were able to catch everything in their first watch-through, myself included, though I had gotten something of a primer on the series told to me before I ever watched it.

The reason the Gundams all didn't know about each other isn't ever explicitly said but once you find out what Operation Meteor originally entailed (a colony drop, after which the Gundams would go down and wreak havoc until the Earth could be taken over), they were going to either 1) not survive anyway or 2) it would cause more chaos if they didn't know each other. They were essentially originally on an outright suicide mission.

And Yeeeah Heero's kinda... special. But that's part of what I love about him!
Old 2010-11-22, 02:05   Link #680
wingzerosnuggles

Long Live: Personally, I prefer English. Ai Orikasa's Quatre sounds like a girl. In English, he's Brad Swaile. Yes, the same Brad Swaile who plays Amuro and Setsuna.

Yeah, it really is vague. Since you're on episode 7, that means you've finished Episode 6: Party Night or as, I like to call it, the one where Relena totally pwns Heero. It's a funny scene when he aims a gun at her and she's all "If you fire that, you'll blow your cover. Let's dance." and then somehow he ends up dancing with her. Cue his confusion at the convo during the dance number. Cue even more confusion when he saves her. Even early on in the series, she seems to have this bizarre power over him. xD

Not really explained why the pilots didn't know each other but we're free to speculate unless Sumisawa decides to explain it in the novel or Glory of the Defeated.

As for Heero, he's a strange boy. Let's just put it at that.

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing