AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2011-09-16, 20:21   Link #41
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Hmm, Travis playing someone outside of his fire element would be pretty interesting^^. Is J. Michael the same dude who played Dalton in One Piece and Scar in FMA Brotherhood? cause if he is, I would approve of him too. As for Juvia, hmm, who do we know that can be cute and psycho nuts? What are the ol english Higurashi cast doing nowadays?
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 21:05   Link #42
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
What are the ol english Higurashi cast doing nowadays?
I'll tell you what they're not doing: being Funimation cast members. Except maybe Kyle Hebert (he played Tomitake, a.k.a. Mr. Super-Happy-Glasses-Wearing-Throat-Scratchy Cameraman).

Higurashi wasn't dubbed by Funi. It dubbed by Geneon Entertainment, and then it was licensed by Funi. Key word: "was." (Which means chances for Higurashi Kai getting a dub have gone down the tubes.)

But if they did happen to dub for this, would Mela Lee make a good Juvia? (Considering who played Rena in Japanese...)

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 23:23   Link #43
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Megan Hollingshead play Mion and Shion in the Geneon dub? If so, why not get her to voice Juvia? She was pretty cute and psychonut playing the twins.
Old 2011-09-17, 17:00   Link #44
immblueversion

Quote:
Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Megan Hollingshead play Mion and Shion in the Geneon dub? If so, why not get her to voice Juvia? She was pretty cute and psychonut playing the twins.
Because there's simply no need for Funimation to contact anyone outside their pool of Dallas-based voice actors unless Megan Hollingshead happened to be available.

Old 2011-09-18, 00:46   Link #45
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I sometimes wonder which company do Vic, Travis, Kyle, and Laura belong to since they seem to provide voices for both Viz and Funi.
Old 2011-09-18, 10:48   Link #46
immblueversion

Quote:
I sometimes wonder which company do Vic, Travis, Kyle, and Laura belong to since they seem to provide voices for both Viz and Funi.
Funny how it doesn't go both ways for Viz and Funi nearly as often as each other.

I remember how everyone was clamoring for Johnny Yong Bosch to be in every new Funimation dub, even though I can only count about two or three Funi dubs he was in out of the dozens to hundreds of dubs Funi has done.

Old 2011-09-18, 13:11   Link #47
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I thought he only did Trigun.
Old 2011-09-18, 16:00   Link #48
immblueversion

Quote:
I thought he only did Trigun.
The Trigun movie, actually, and pretty much just that. He also made a cameo appearance in the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime as Lujon, the doctor of the village where everyone was dying of a disease that turned them into stone. Then again, that anime was one of the only anime out there to feature voice actors from all four major dubbing regions in North America (Dallas, San Fransisco, New York, and Vancouver).

Old 2011-09-18, 16:16   Link #49
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Yeah I was pretty surprised when Scott McNeil was hired to play his role. Too bad he didn't come back to play Hohenheim again.
Old 2011-09-27, 14:45   Link #50
Krono

Trailer for the dub is out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAAKPx-ndAg

And on a related note, it looks like Funimation has the first 30 episodes up subbed on their Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/show/fairytail
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 19:17   Link #51
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Can someone tell me how it's like? My youtube seems to be region locked-v-;;.
Old 2011-09-27, 21:07   Link #52
immblueversion

Quote:
Can someone tell me how it's like? My youtube seems to be region locked-v-;;.
Well, Natsu can only be heard Natsu for the first ten seconds. He sounds pretty much exactly like Ling Yao. There's also a snippet of Lucy, and she sounds pretty solid, but I can't put it in better words. The rest is a narration by R Bruce Elliott (who plays Makarov) hyping up how awesome and rowdy the characters are, and all the other sound effects are muffled by his speaking. But there is one instance towards the end where one can hear Natsu screaming "WING ATTAAACK!!!" in a fashion that won over a LOT of listeners.

In other words, it feels right.

Spoiler for A quote I liked:

Old 2011-09-30, 11:06   Link #53
Krono

For those interested, and who aren't region blocked, Funimation has the dub of the first episode up on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAxbI...h_e_se&list=SL
Old 2011-09-30, 12:25   Link #54
Ryus
The One Eyed King

(ignoring the dialog changes)

At first I wasn't impressed... Nastu just sounded too normal , Lucy sounded too young/teeny and not quite as unique or full of herself as the RAW Lucy did, and Happy like a 6 year old girl and not even close to sounding like a boy, plus the Ayes weren't nearly as good as the RAW kinda like the voice actor didn't quite get how to use them (Happy was all over the place between cute, being humorous, and having an attitude... it felt like whatever high pitched voice the actor could get and didn't care beyond that). At least I was satisfied with the background cast. Aquarius was pretty good though... though she could use even more fest.

Then Lucy started to get pissed and I was like, ok, so she sounds a bit young but that's the right attitude , then Happy stated to get a bit better with the Aye deliveries, though he didn't grow on me as like Lucy did. I'm still not sure about Natsu since I didn't quite feel his crazy rage moments right or his stupidity moments right either. Lucy = B-, Happy = C, Natsu = D-... Over all for the dub C+. Maybe I'm just too much a fan of the RAW voices, since I rate them all as A's (Lucy and Happy A+'s though). At least this English dub was way better then that other one I heard where there was like only 4 actors playing all the roles. That one earned a F- in my books

For a first episode dub it wasn't too bad... though I see that there is lots of room for improvement. Maybe Erza, Gray and the rest of the supporting cast will save the Dub. We knew going in that Funimation would recycle voice actors, so it's stupid to complain about that.
Old 2011-10-02, 17:07   Link #55
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Well, Natsu can only be heard Natsu for the first ten seconds. He sounds pretty much exactly like Ling Yao. There's also a snippet of Lucy, and she sounds pretty solid, but I can't put it in better words. The rest is a narration by R Bruce Elliott (who plays Makarov) hyping up how awesome and rowdy the characters are, and all the other sound effects are muffled by his speaking. But there is one instance towards the end where one can hear Natsu screaming "WING ATTAAACK!!!" in a fashion that won over a LOT of listeners.

In other words, it feels right.

Spoiler for A quote I liked:
Totally agree, and having now seen the full first episode on Funi's site I really enjoyed the dub cast and the way they sound as well as the small taste of how a few of them sound together playing off each off each other and their comedic timing/vocal comedic sounds so I can already picture some of the smoothing out that's going to happen as they really get into it and the rest of the main cast is introduced and as usual as they get more familiar with the characters and regularly playing off each other's voices, so I think there's a lot of potential here for a pretty fantastic and fun dub. And as Ryus also said, you can already hear some of the nice tweaking in "real time" as the episode goes along.

Can't wait to hear Erza around ep 4 (Hawkeye's VA should be so perfect), and Gray and a bunch of the Fairy Tail members next time.

Unrelated but this show still has such a fantastic soundtrack, the BGMs are sooo good

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-10-02 at 17:52.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 11:48   Link #56
Krono

The second dub episode is up on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/283150/fai...ons#s-p1-so-i1
Old 2011-10-09, 15:53   Link #57
Ryus
The One Eyed King

^ Second ep dub

Wow, vast improvement with Lucy, Happy, and especially Natsu. Kudos to the returning voice actors all round.

Now as to the newly introduced cast. Loki, Elfman, and Mirajane where all great to me each sounded like there roles very nicely (though improvement isn't out of the question). Makarov and most of the other supporting cast could use some work but weren't bad either... kinda like how I saw Happy last ep (they're just not quite in the characters heads yet). Makao, Romeo, and Nab weren't bad either...

The voice that was the best IMHO of the new cast I found to be Jerral (Gerard) (runners up would be Loki, Elfman, and Mirajane)... I'm actually kinda looking forward to Tower of Paradise/Heaven arc, especially if he improves in the role like the rest of the cast has. He actually sounds powerful, knowledgeable, yet young too, with a hint of potential evil lurking behind his tone.

The worst of the new cast IMHO would be Gray, but mostly since his tone seemed a bit all over the place and he wasn't quite in in character (kinda like how I viewed Natsu last ep). Though if this ep is any sign he will get a lot better fast.

The biggest shock in the voice was Taurus... I mean the accent was just I won't ruin the surprise of hearing him for the first time any further. Lets just say he should fill his comedic role very nicely
Old 2011-10-19, 11:20   Link #58
peachfuzz

I saw episodes 3/4/5 at the NYAF on Saturday with the creator Hiro and it was great all around accept the first disc kind of skipped during the 4th episode where it
was showing the 2nd half of episode #4 Plus Funimation gave fans free Nastu T shirts while waiting in line can wait to get the DVD next month
peachfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 12:17   Link #59
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachfuzz View Post
I saw episodes 3/4/5 at the NYAF on Saturday with the creator Hiro and it was great all around accept the first disc kind of skipped during the 4th episode where it
was showing the 2nd half of episode #4 Plus Funimation gave fans free Nastu T shirts while waiting in line can wait to get the DVD next month
Any chance on you noticing who played Cancer? (He wasn't listed in the huge cast reveal for episodes 1-12.) If not, I guess I'll just have to wait until Friday or something. But I really could care less.

Old 2011-10-19, 18:43   Link #60
Krono

Third dub episode has been up on Funimation's youtube channel for a few days now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfulJ...h_e_se&list=SL