Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-05, 18:56   Link #24981
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Seems like the more affluent the citizenry, the lower the perception of corruption. I'm not sure that's true in reality, to be honest (then again, I'd paint the whole map red so maybe my opinion is a little biased.. hehe).
Old 2012-12-05, 18:58   Link #24982
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Affluent and lesser population density. (Cananda, New Zealand, and Finland for example).
Old 2012-12-05, 19:14   Link #24983
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

People are more likely to put up with robber barons, con artists, and the like running things, skimming off the top if they themselves are doing well.

Why the ultra wealthy and such forget this every few generations is a mystery, often solved with guillotines.
Old 2012-12-05, 19:44   Link #24984
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Strangely, I am more surprised than there isn't more ''no data'' countries.
Old 2012-12-05, 21:18   Link #24985
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

How do you even rate the DPRK....
Old 2012-12-05, 21:20   Link #24986
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

South Sudan isn't old enough to have enough data. Greenland is still part of Denmark, but no one really pays it any mind. And the Western Sahara is massively disputed territory.
Old 2012-12-05, 22:16   Link #24987
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

S&P cuts Greece to 'selective default'
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Standard & Poor's has lowered Greece's credit rating to "selective default" in light of its offer to buy back bonds at well below their face value.
Old 2012-12-05, 22:40   Link #24988
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
South Sudan isn't old enough to have enough data. Greenland is still part of Denmark, but no one really pays it any mind. And the Western Sahara is massively disputed territory.
Greenland still has a native population living a fairly traditional albeit "updated" with modern technology, lifestyle. Always found it funny that the Vikings called them skraelingers (I believe that's the spelling), which means "barbarians"... Vikings referring to someone else as barbarians gives me a chuckle.
Old 2012-12-05, 22:51   Link #24989
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Vikings referring to someone else as barbarians gives me a chuckle.
They did mostly what others did as well; use ''barbarians'' for every other civilizations/tribes/peoples than are like them.
Old 2012-12-05, 23:16   Link #24990
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Greenland still has a native population living a fairly traditional albeit "updated" with modern technology, lifestyle. Always found it funny that the Vikings called them skraelingers (I believe that's the spelling), which means "barbarians"... Vikings referring to someone else as barbarians gives me a chuckle.
Techno Vikings are a step above Vikings after all, the Greenlanders probably scared them away with their music and dance moves.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-06, 02:36   Link #24991
Tom Bombadil

Last time when I tried to pass border control at the air port in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, there was a sign saying "we don't accept money" before the entrance for the passport checking. So I went there, hand my passport to the officer. He looked at it for a few seconds, then said "tips, please" with heavy accents. I thought he was asking me a question, so I said "sorry?", and tried to hear to question again. He repeated it, and it dawned to me that he was demanding money. I mean, the sign of "no money" was just a few steps from me. I took out 5 dollars from my pocket, and tried to hand it to him. Then he shook his head. Below the counter, he gestured. There was a opening below the counter. So I handed him the money, and he stamped my passport and returned it to me from the above of the counter.

It was not a big sum of money, but I never expect to pay it at the boarder control in such a fashion. If I don't pay it, then I risk something happen to my passport, or a delay so I miss my plane. Anyway, that was a interesting experience.
Old 2012-12-06, 07:21   Link #24992
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer dies, aged 104
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8B501920121206
Old 2012-12-07, 04:09   Link #24993
konart

Magnitude 7.3 earthquake in Japan. Tsunami warning issued
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/267...arthquake.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20638696
Old 2012-12-07, 09:04   Link #24994
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Morsi Defends Wide Authority as Turmoil Rises in Egypt
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/07/wo...s-clashes.html
Quote:
“I never thought I would say this, but even Mubarak was more savvy when he spoke in a time of crisis,” said Hossam Bahgat, executive director of the Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights.
Old 2012-12-07, 09:21   Link #24995
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Morsi Defends Wide Authority as Turmoil Rises in Egypt
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/07/wo...s-clashes.html
Mark my words, his head is gonna roll.
Old 2012-12-07, 18:46   Link #24996
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Middleton Nurse Who Took Prank Call Found Dead
Quote:
A nurse at a London hospital, who took a prank call from two Australian radio disc jockeys pretending to be Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles to get details on Kate Middleton’s medical condition, was found dead on Friday, the hospital said.

London’s Metropolitan Police Service, said in a statement that Ms. Saldanha, 46, was found unconscious on Friday morning “at work-provided accommodation” near the hospital and pronounced dead at the scene by the London Ambulance Service.

... the police said the nurse’s death “is being treated as unexplained”
Suicide? Poisioning by M.I.5 or M.I.6? Retribution by some berserk fan of the Royal Family? Or just natural causes? In good faith I'll assume the last of these, though the juxtaposition of events is striking. And why is the death still "unexplained" after twelve hours or so? Waiting on the Medical Examiner's report? If so, the cause of death must not be obvious.

As for the DJs,
Quote:
In a statement, Southern Cross Austereo, the Australian media company, and 2Day FM, its radio station, said they were “deeply saddened” by news of the death and extended sympathies to the family and others affected. It said the company and the “deeply shocked” hosts have decided that they will not return to their radio show until further notice.
Think these guys will need to find a new line of work?
Old 2012-12-07, 19:18   Link #24997
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Middleton Nurse Who Took Prank Call Found Dead

Suicide? Poisioning by M.I.5 or M.I.6? Retribution by some berserk fan of the Royal Family? Or just natural causes? In good faith I'll assume the last of these, though the juxtaposition of events is striking. And why is the death still "unexplained" after twelve hours or so? Waiting on the Medical Examiner's report? If so, the cause of death must not be obvious.

As for the DJs,

Think these guys will need to find a new line of work?
Reading comments around I don't think it's fair to blame the DJs. Prank calls happen, I'm honestly astonished that a hospital wouldn't have some kind of protocol for dealing with the Royal Family since I'm sure they probably stick to certain hospitals. I've been reading a lot saying it was probably suicide and honestly if she was one case of embarrassment away from suicide she probably had some other issues in her life.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-12-07, 19:59   Link #24998
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iran's long-range missiles said to lag U.S. intelligence fears
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8B61C920121208
Quote:
Iran does not appear to be receiving as much help as would likely be necessary, notably from China or Russia, to reach that goal, according to the 66-page report dated Thursday.

It is also increasingly tough for Tehran to obtain certain critical components and materials because of international sanctions related to its disputed nuclear program.
Old 2012-12-08, 00:45   Link #24999
sa547
*Author

Psy apologizes for anti-US remarks early in his career
Old 2012-12-08, 05:57   Link #25000
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Reading comments around I don't think it's fair to blame the DJs. Prank calls happen, I'm honestly astonished that a hospital wouldn't have some kind of protocol for dealing with the Royal Family since I'm sure they probably stick to certain hospitals. I've been reading a lot saying it was probably suicide and honestly if she was one case of embarrassment away from suicide she probably had some other issues in her life.
Prank calls don't just "happen". People choose to make them.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international