AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 21
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 12 12.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 27 28.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 22 22.92%
7 out of 10 : Good... 14 14.58%
6 out of 10 : Average... 9 9.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 6 6.25%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 6 6.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-24, 21:37   Link #81
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
[Quotes omitted...]

Also, in the later volumes, the author repeatedly continues to apologize and tries to change the trend.
Yeah, this is basically what I expected; I don't think this qualifies as "admitting giving Kirito a one-sided harem was a terrible idea" or as going "out of his way to apologize to the fans". I think he knows that some people will interpret the content in a certain way and try to discern his intentions (the way you did with the "self-insert" comment, and all the rest). Most authors are their own harshest critics, so I'm sure he probably sees why people could see it that way. The tone of his comments wasn't really apologetic on their face, but more trying to saying "what I really was trying to go for here was <x>". ("When I wrote this I was trying to go for this, but now that I look at it, it could also be seen as that.") He's apologizing that he couldn't adequately communicate his intention through his writing.

So yeah, as HandofFate said, I would see this as typical authors sort of deflecting criticism with humility. It doesn't necessarily mean that he regrets it, but he might try to find ways to make his intentions more clear.
Old 2012-11-24, 21:41   Link #82
LunaToned

Alright.. last question. I don't want spoilers but I just wanna know, in the future are there gonna be more "sex scenes" or scenes implying anything of the sort? Like right before Kirito proposed? haha just curious :P

Also i would assume this will be the last female that has any love interest in Kirito? If more comes up then that's just pushing it imo
LunaToned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 21:42   Link #83
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaToned View Post
Alright.. last question. I don't want spoilers but I just wanna know, in the future are there gonna be more "sex scenes" or scenes implying anything of the sort? Like right before Kirito proposed? haha just curious :P

Also i would assume this will be the last female that has any love interest in Kirito? If more comes up then that's just pushing it imo
You'll have to ask these questions in the Q&A thread, because they can't be answered here.
Old 2012-11-24, 21:45   Link #84
LunaToned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
You'll have to ask these questions in the Q&A thread, because they can't be answered here.
Ah i see. I'm new here lol
LunaToned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 21:48   Link #85
Krono

Quote:
Also, in the later volumes, the author repeatedly continues to apologize and tries to change the trend.
Personally I don’t mind the harem/multiple crushes aspect. Most distinctively from other harems, Kirito is NOT wishywashy between the female leads and thus avoids being offensive by liking everyone at the same time/annoyingly indecisive. Also, each girl has a story, a relationship with Kirito, and various different reasons for being charmed by Kirito
None of that constitutes him calling the "harem" idea idiotic in the terms you're wanting to put it in. It acknowledges the tendency, and it's problems and apologies for it, but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaToned View Post
EDIT: also does he have any comments on some of the tentacle/fetish/hentai-ish content :P?
Nope. His comments are pretty general.

It should probably be noted though that the tentacle scene was not one of the scenes illustrated in the LN. Draw what conclusions from that that you will. Personally I take it as a sign the scene wasn't intended as fan service.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 22:39   Link #86
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Not much action but it was ok.
Old 2012-11-24, 22:51   Link #87
Znail

Quote:
In the first place, could the players even use their wings to fly inside the building?
Good poiint, flight was disabled underground and it makes sense for buildings as well.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 23:21   Link #88
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Asuna couldn't run around John McClane-style for a couple episodes fighting scientists and trying to free the minds until Kirito and Yui show up to get her out of the game?
That would actually be a pretty cool alternative. Ganbatte Utsuro-kun, faito

But yeah, I really enjoyed this episode. Loved the color palette used for Sugou's secret admin chamber/server room.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 23:47   Link #89
rladls716

This topic maybe pointless but when Asuna felt one of the scientist's tentacles on her cheek, she felt grossed out, why is that?

In some episodes where SAO took place the part where Kirito showed Asuna toad's legs and she did not want to eat it and threw away Kirito's toad's legs, thinking it is discusting, and the part where Kirito caught some kind of a four-legged fish then Asuna freaked out.

I'm wonder if that is the same sensation that Asuna felt, don't you people think?
rladls716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 00:09   Link #90
HandofFate

I think she just hates feeling slimy/scaly things such as frogs, snakes and weird fish.

though, for the scientist part, she just didn't want to get tentacle raped lol.
Old 2012-11-25, 00:19   Link #91
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Women will be women. No matter how strong one is, they still show their femininity through their general dislike of "gross" things like insects and reptiles. It's still uncommon in modern day to find women that aren't bothered by those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The reason the wall is there is presumably to make sure that people complete the world tree quest the proper way. Once a race does complete the quest, it's hard to say how things might change in the game.
I was more under the impression that the patch was implemented and the base of the tree was made off limits because the GM's were worried that the players would discover the facilities for the experiments they are preforming. In fact that's probably the only reason it's even there in-game and the Alf class is just a cover-up for it's and Oberon's (Sugou's) presence.
Old 2012-11-25, 00:28   Link #92
Red_Zeal_Knight

not as good as last episode but need slow episodes to built up story
Red_Zeal_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 00:30   Link #93
rladls716

Poor Asuna, right now only she knows that Sugou is behind everything. She is still trapped in virtual world, having no weapons, powers, skills she had in SAO.

In truth, like Asuna, other players also become test subjects but more in worse position makes me wonder if they are aware of what is even happening to them.

Kirito is more luxurious, being freed from the death game, living normal daily life with Suguha, in the virtual world he got famous after defeating General Eugene and saved the alliance meeing, as of result he being tangled by two female elf leaders.
rladls716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 00:37   Link #94
Vsin
Aldracity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I was more under the impression that the patch was implemented and the base of the tree was made off limits because the GM's were worried that the players would discover the facilities for the experiments they are preforming. In fact that's probably the only reason it's even there in-game and the Alf class is just a cover-up for it's and Oberon's (Sugou's) presence.
Well, from a purely gaming perspective, it would make sense for the patch to happen ASAP because letting it slip through would effectively be the same thing as inviting people to cheat their way past the biggest quest in the game. Which is also why nobody (appears to have) batted an eye when it was done so quickly. As for why it wasn't coded this way in the first place...well, lets just chalk that one up to Sugou being extremely short sighted...like the numpad lock...and even the touch panel lock on the entry door.

Seriously, why was Asuna was capable of using a touch panel lock to open the facility door? Mind you, that part also exists in the novel. Admittedly, the only person who should ever have access to it is Sugou, but it just seems odd that a lock based around contact with a player character would have absolutely no system implemented to detect and filter the player who touches it.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 00:48   Link #95
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
Seriously, why was Asuna was capable of using a touch panel lock to open the facility door? Mind you, that part also exists in the novel. Admittedly, the only person who should ever have access to it is Sugou, but it just seems odd that a lock based around contact with a player character would have absolutely no system implemented to detect and filter the player who touches it.
Rule of Cool has always been something Evil Overlords like Sugou fall for. The main idea here is that he thinks of himself as a god who possess absolute authority outta anything where he can do whatever the heck he wants at his own convenience and not even a single soul will try to stop him.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 00:52   Link #96
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I suppose that, until now, they've never had to worry about "intruders" because no one else has ever risen above the precipice of the world tree. If someone ever did, I guess they'd have to secure it then. The only other people with access to that door are all the scientists.

So basically, the lock is "future use".
Old 2012-11-25, 01:06   Link #97
Vsin
Aldracity

Quote:
Rule of Cool has always been something Evil Overlords like Sugou fall for. The main idea here is that he thinks of himself as a god who possess absolute authority outta anything where he can do whatever the heck he wants at his own convenience and not even a single soul will try to stop him.
Slightly off topic, but...

...reading that was slightly unnerving, because I just read someone on RandomC say almost the exact same thing. The first sentence is even word-for-word identical o_0

And I recognize Rule of Cool, but among other things it just irritates me. Actually, there are a lot of things in ALO that irritate me for similar reasons, but after getting modded a couple times I've shut up about it. Mostly.

Spoiler for "Oops I accidentally" EDIT:

Last edited by Vsin; 2012-11-25 at 16:06.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 01:09   Link #98
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Actually, there are a lot of things in ALO that irritate me for similar reasons, but after getting modded a couple times I've shut up about it.
You (and everyone else) have never been "modded" for expressing opinions, whether critical or otherwise. But if you're going to compare to the novels or invoke spoilers, there's a proper place for it, and it probably isn't in episode threads. I think that's the only time I or any of the other mods have done anything to any of your posts, but if you don't agree, feel free to contact me or any staff member.
Old 2012-11-25, 01:22   Link #99
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Only problem is that Sugou lacks any sort of charisma, so the "rule of cool" isn't exactly a good enough excuse for him to make such terrible oversights.

Most folk around these parts (including you if I remember correctly) seem to hate him with every fibre of their being. It's rather contradictory for someone you hate to act in a way or do things that appear "cool" to you or other people who think the same way.

Not to mention the guy is the head of a project that's researching the ability to control human minds, so surely he must be quite intelligent and insightful. That's a high-level scientific field. Why would he overlook all these things if that's the case?

The disappointment with Sugou just keeps stacking up. Can it get any higher I wonder?
Old 2012-11-25, 01:25   Link #100
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Not to mention the guy is the head of a project that's studying the ability to control human minds, so surely he must be quite intelligent and insightful. Why would he overlook all these things if that's the case?
I don't see how that follows at all. He seems to be more businessman than scientist. Paying people to research something doesn't require insight. Heck, labwork doesn't require much insight either. And don't get me started on the strange perception of neuroscience.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote