AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-01-12, 14:26   Link #2641
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Well, Yakumo's mind reading IS a defining trait of hers. While Tenma's spiritual powers (bending spoons, talking with ghosts etc. .. must run in the family) is only played for laughs, Yakumo's is not. It's causing her social awkwardness. It's not just that she's shy - she fears being rejected and labeled as strange. Her mind reading causes her to distance herself from everyone else. It's what most of the b chapters centering around her are about. But she isn't alone because she's 'weird', but because she shuts herself out and never opened up to or trusted anyone (besides her sister). Until Sarah came along!
But even after she made more friends and bonded with them - she STILL feared their rejection .. as we can see in the very last b chapter, where she confronts her friends and tells them about her mind reading. And she realises that she was the one who distanced herself from everyone else all along .. not the other way around.

It doesn't have a reason or cause and I don't think it needs to have one. One can look symbolically at it. Keeping a distance to others out of shame or pride isn't a desirable thing and prevents oneself to become truely close to someone. You don't necessarily have to be a mind reader to do that
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 02:51   Link #2642
yakumo-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post

It doesn't have a reason or cause and I don't think it needs to have one. One can look symbolically at it. Keeping a distance to others out of shame or pride isn't a desirable thing and prevents oneself to become truely close to someone. You don't necessarily have to be a mind reader to do that
wow.... zebra-chan... love your words there......"Keeping a distance to others out of shame or pride isn't a desirable thing and prevents oneself to become truely close to someone. You don't necessarily have to be a mind reader to do that"

nice one!
Old 2010-01-13, 10:44   Link #2643
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambino009 View Post
It's just a supernatural thing in the manga..
yep, I guess it's as u say
most mangas have one supernatural thing in them and it's decided for Yakumo in SR

I guess JK wanted to have a character like Yakumo in his manga, there's just a need for such a person in a great manga like SR

and with that supernatural thing, he just made Yakumos situation more understandable or something like that xD
Sephiroth_760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 20:20   Link #2644
canza

Have there been news of anything of ANYTHING that deals with School Rumble? School Rumble withdrawal really sux lol.
Old 2010-01-14, 04:18   Link #2645
hchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_760 View Post
yep, I guess it's as u say
most mangas have one supernatural thing in them and it's decided for Yakumo in SR

I guess JK wanted to have a character like Yakumo in his manga, there's just a need for such a person in a great manga like SR

and with that supernatural thing, he just made Yakumos situation more understandable or something like that xD
If only they can explain the supernatural weirdness and strength of Karasuma.
hchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 04:28   Link #2646
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

They did ... kinda. At least some of it has to do with his illness ... I hope XD

@canza, no and you shouldn't expect anything in the days to come, sadly. If we ever hear anything about SR I doubt it will be now.
Old 2010-01-14, 04:39   Link #2647
hchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
They did ... kinda. At least some of it has to do with his illness ... I hope XD
Really? I don't recall that, I recall just the others explaining he's sick but never those other feats of his, like being able to match Harima in a fight, or dressing up like a kappa or a snowman or being very fast or sensing things close and stuff like that. Wikipedia also describes him and I am reading "eccentric, enigmatic, nice-guy classmate, Oji Karasuma." Did I miss other stuff out about him? I kinda also thought he and the other character Nara were like the same person, because maybe it's me, but that Nara character kinda looks like a palette swap of Karasuma, so I use to assume, they were two separate personalities of him since we don't see them together a lot in the manga, like he would switch every now and then, like that could be apart of his sickness. Maybe we do, I need to check that out again.
hchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 10:01   Link #2648
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchop View Post
Really? I don't recall that, I recall just the others explaining he's sick but never those other feats of his, like being able to match Harima in a fight, or dressing up like a kappa or a snowman or being very fast or sensing things close and stuff like that.
well, there's noneed to explain something like that, is it?
u know, there're a lot of maniacs in this world^^
there are person like him in this real world, too
like all this martial arts fighters, who are very very strong :P or Hikkikomoris and so on and so on

Karasuma's just some really weird maniac hahha xD
maybe he went to a shaolin camp and trained there and while he was at it, he was confronted with a kappa (meaning the legend, becuz in japan there are many many gods^^) and that was the beginning of him admiring kappas!?

and other things like dressing as a snowman really really don't need to be explained, it's just an comedic idea of JK
Old 2010-01-14, 10:20   Link #2649
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Well, his illness made stew out of his brain, so you could assume his randomness comes from that, too.
Also Karasuma has been designed to not make any sense at all. So I wouldn't read too much into it xD
There are far too many impossible things in SR to apply normal logic

But if it's really bothering you, here's you answer:
He's a wizard.
Old 2010-01-15, 21:01   Link #2650
Gambino009
Phantom

I still think it's funny how he two fingered Lion Harima and Eri off a cliff to save Tenma... or so it was made out.

That made Tenma think he was going to kiss her or something.. and Harima carry Eri back up on his back.

Bah.. my wording is horrible. Oh well
Gambino009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 12:20   Link #2651
Hunk
Awaken Dreamer

According to jin-ten.com website, a one-shot of School Rumble will be published in the Shônen Magazine's issue to be released on 02/09.

Quote:
『School Rumble』が読み切りで復活することが週刊少年マガジン第8号にて発表された。
2月9日発売の別冊少年マガジン3月号に掲載される。
If anyone can make more sense of what's written in there ^^'
Old 2010-01-20, 14:39   Link #2652
Kondrath
The real-life Harima

Ahh! What in the world is a one-shot?! lol
Kondrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 14:53   Link #2653
Solafighter
Hige

google + wikipedia is your friend.

Quote:
In the American comic book industry, the term one-shot is used to denote a pilot comic or a stand-alone story created to last as one issue. These single issues are usually labeled with a "#1" despite there being no following issues, and are sometimes subtitled as "specials". On occasion, a character or concept will appear in a series of one-shots, in cases where the subject matter is not financially lucrative enough to merit an ongoing or limited series, but still popular enough to be published on a regular basis, often annually or quarterly. A current example of a series of one-shots would be Marvel Comics' Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius publications. This type of one-shot is not to be confused with a comic book annual, which is typically a companion publication to an established ongoing series.

The term has also been borrowed into the Franco-Belgian comics industry, with basically the same meaning, although there, it mostly refers to albums.

In the Japanese manga industry, the same concept is expressed by the term yomikiri (読み切り), which implies that the comic is presented in its entirety without any continuation. One-shot manga tells its entire story in 15-60 pages, usually written for contests, and sometimes later developed into a full-length manga series (much like a television pilot). Many popular manga series that began as one-shot stories, these include Naruto, Bleach, Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Berserk, Kinnikuman and Death Note among others. Some noted manga authors, such as Akira Toriyama and Rumiko Takahashi, have worked on numerous one shot stories in addition to their serialized works. Rising Stars of Manga is an annual competition for original English-language one-shot manga, many of which have gone on to become full-length manga series.
Old 2010-01-20, 15:13   Link #2654
Kondrath
The real-life Harima

Well, I sure hope it isn't just a retelling of the whole story... :/
Kondrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 14:42   Link #2655
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

wtf?
school rumble one-shot?!
great news, School Rumble ain't dead

yeah just like melee said, hope it's no retelling or something xD
I go for a new side story
Old 2010-01-21, 18:38   Link #2656
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Hurray for another "SHOT" at School Rumble by Jin Kobayashi.
Old 2010-01-22, 02:58   Link #2657
yakumo-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
haha you're back!!!

anyways.. good news for the one shot!!!
Old 2010-01-22, 05:48   Link #2658
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
You misspelled shot.
Old 2010-01-22, 07:59   Link #2659
euromellows

Thats freaking awesome news! Time for the badass to kick ass and get the girl!
euromellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 08:39   Link #2660
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Quote:
welcome back dude^^
well, I hope it'll stay a joke xD

Tags
comedy