AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-03-20, 05:11   Link #1321
Yazi88

So pretty much most people are loving this last episode.

Really nice to see.

It was even better than what I expected as it added more emotional moments compared to the novel.
Yazi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-20, 08:20   Link #1322
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Oooh, what do we have here? Looks like the team poured most of their effort & resources for this episode compared to the previous one (for obvious reasons, I guess). They pair finally meet and it's pretty good.

Overall, I give this show 7/10. As you can see from my score, I don't think it's absolutely ecxellent. It still retains its overly sappy nature from beginning to end. I've said this before during Cour 1 but it still applies in Cour 2: this show feels like it's a "mecha made by Key". Sappiness abound and characters often speak like they're performing lines on stage (even the blocking) whenever they're talking about something serious. Sawano's music cranked that sappiness to over-9000 (for better or worse) and I don't like the OP songs at all (I think they really mis-represent the show). Some parts of the narrative are clunky, derivative and could've been done better.

Those are the negatives that took the 3 points out of 10.

Meanwhile, the rest are ranging from ok to excellent. Visuals are top notch (some animation cutting-corners notwithstanding). Art direction is superb but could use something more to differentiate the characters' mech-spiders so that we can tell who's who during a group battle. CGI is good. Whenever Sawano is not being overly sappy, the BGM is always top tier. Main two characters are worth rooting for while the side-protags are likeable enough. Excellent voice-acting too. The villains are.....ok. The action mostly delivers whenever they want to showcase it. The story mostly delivers despite the clunkiness I've mentioned before. Also, Fido certainly helps.

All in all, I'm glad this show exists and I'm glad it attracted some new viewers who've never watched mecha before and opened their eyes that mecha shows are not about the robots (which is ironic considering the human characters are literally fighting terminator-bugs in this show).

Now that I think about it, looks like mecha anime in the 20s decade started strong. We had the trinity of EVA 3.0+1.0 movie, Gundam Hathaway movie & this 86 show which all started in 2021 and did gangbusters in box office & ratings IIRC (I wanted to include Dynazenon which also did well in 21 but that show was mainly from Tokusatsu franchise, not mecha anime). I wonder how well the rest of the decade will do for mecha.
Old 2022-03-20, 09:29   Link #1323
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Shin's profile:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-20, 10:12   Link #1324
Frontier

From Fido's montage of images:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Oooh, what do we have here? Looks like the team poured most of their effort & resources for this episode compared to the previous one (for obvious reasons, I guess). They pair finally meet and it's pretty good.
I think both episodes were beautifully depicted and directed .
Quote:
Overall, I give this show 7/10. As you can see from my score, I don't think it's absolutely ecxellent. It still retains its overly sappy nature from beginning to end. I've said this before during Cour 1 but it still applies in Cour 2: this show feels like it's a "mecha made by Key". Sappiness abound and characters often speak like they're performing lines on stage (even the blocking) whenever they're talking about something serious. Sawano's music cranked that sappiness to over-9000 (for better or worse) and I don't like the OP songs at all (I think they really mis-represent the show). Some parts of the narrative are clunky, derivative and could've been done better.
I think of it less like Key and more of a Shojo story set in a Mecha Sci-Fi setting...which explains a lot about Shin and Lena's relationship (and I think the author actually wrote some Shojo stories prior to 86) .

I guess there's a fine line between sappiness and proper dramatic weight, although the emotions always rang true and genuine to me.

I think this cours' Opening fit wayyy better than cour 1's, and had better visuals, and I also felt all the insert songs hit really well in this episode .
Old 2022-03-20, 17:31   Link #1325
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I dunno if anyone noticed this, but:

https://twitter.com/ponkeii/status/1505440906001846272
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-20, 23:31   Link #1326
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post

What with Shin and Lena's hands at the end...this show and it's symbolism .
Old 2022-03-21, 12:02   Link #1327
grecefar

I watched all the season in 1 sit and it's been a while since I disliked a loli this much, frederica ruined this season for me.

At least I loved the last chapter reunion, it was only good thing in this season. 6/10
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-22, 09:25   Link #1328
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post

That works if they have exactly the same calendar as our, and if the stellar year somehow coincides with AD. Otherwise, how do you know if that isn't a leap year?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-22, 18:54   Link #1329
Gerard07

Seen the last episode, San Magnolia received a lesson for his behavior but not everyone learned, finally the protagonists meet again and prepare for another battle, it looks interesting.
I really liked the series, I liked the characters like Shin and Lena, their antagonists too and I like the other characters like Frederica, the bad thing was the breaks but that's fine, to wait for more news about the series.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-23, 15:32   Link #1330
EroKing

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2022-03-23, 15:59   Link #1331
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
So beautiful .
Old 2022-03-23, 20:34   Link #1332
sierra117
Harem Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
That works if they have exactly the same calendar as our, and if the stellar year somehow coincides with AD. Otherwise, how do you know if that isn't a leap year?
Considering how much subtle hints A1 were throwing around in this series a d that we have a bunches of "coincidences" piled up like the day Shin and Lena officially met was the same day the episode was aired irl and the days episode 21 and 23 were aired are also roughly 86 days apart, i pretty thr days here are intentionally left at 86
“If you were a logical person with refinement then it was obvious to prefer matureness over immatureness, abundance over lacking. Lolita complex is a mental illness, everyone. I hope you are able to go to your nearest mental hospital and get a suicide check-up.”
-Dantalian, Dungeon Defense-
sierra117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 20:05   Link #1333
carmolita

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Totally agreed. Had they met in the last episode, then it wouldn't have had as much impact, I think. Maybe in a romantic sense it could have, as it would have been just the two of them, and Lena's emotions were a bit on-high from the fighting, but even if that WERE the case, I still'd prefer her to meet everyone at the same time as shown here. Made it far more memorable and warmed my heart so much, wouldn't have it any other way =03.
I agree but even though they meet with everyone together they (Shin x Lena) do get a little alone time right after that, umm I'll say it here cause it may never get animated
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That was a very nice conclusion. One I'm so satisfied with I won't watch a sequel even if they make one..
I agree, they ended it exactly the way/ on the scene I thought they would. If they wanted to never continue it, the ending would be satisfying and if they did another season there would be no problems, especially since they were true to the novel but I for one would love to see them continue it. All of the best parts happen when they fight together because Lena is no longer behind a desk but on the battlefield. She has some skills of her own that they haven't shown, I would love to see her in action

The almost handholding at the end is bittersweet it's representative of their relationship, so close yet so far away But very real emotions, the path they follow to truly get to each other is soo worth it,

For those who wonder about what really went on in magnolia. it wasn't cut or anything not a whole lot is really said about in the books that the anime covers, mainly because what went on there is part of a bigger arch, which reveals its ugly head when they fight together.

Last edited by carmolita; 2022-03-27 at 10:10.
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, politics, sci-fi