Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-10-09, 22:31   Link #161
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumir View Post
Here is a comparison for those of you who think PS3 is too much for a game system...

Go to your local electronics store... look at the prices for computers that come with blue ray disc readers.

Now compare that price with the ps3 price... yea not so expensive anymore right?

And for all you that call the ps3 a game system... its more then that... if you are buying it just to play games then maby it is to expsenive for you, but you have to realize the PS3 is not just a gamming machine, it is quite capable of doing many other things, and i will get one for each of its aspects, and at the time i will be getting the best deal i ever have.

Check the specs of a ps3, compare it with some computer with about the same specs... then compare the prices...
Sony tried to sell the PS2 as a computer, also. The PS3 will likely be no more a multifunction computer than any other game system. When they release Photoshop, Office, SecondLife, 3DS Max, Maya, and many other computer programs for the PS3, then this argument will hold water. Until then, it leaks worse than a pasta strainer.

The PS3 is a gaming console. It is an expensive gaming console.

I've seen people use the argument that since Sony is losing so much on each console, it's a great deal. That argument is just as flawed. How much Sony is losing does not change the fact that it will still cost you $500-$600.

Now, if you don't mind paying $500 or $600 for a gaming console, that's fine. If you're trying to say it's a great deal because Sony is losing so much on each unit, or because it costs less than a top of the line PC, then you're just fooling yourself with false rationalizations.
Old 2006-10-10, 04:39   Link #162
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd View Post
Sony tried to sell the PS2 as a computer, also. The PS3 will likely be no more a multifunction computer than any other game system. When they release Photoshop, Office, SecondLife, 3DS Max, Maya, and many other computer programs for the PS3, then this argument will hold water. Until then, it leaks worse than a pasta strainer.

The PS3 is a gaming console. It is an expensive gaming console.

I've seen people use the argument that since Sony is losing so much on each console, it's a great deal. That argument is just as flawed. How much Sony is losing does not change the fact that it will still cost you $500-$600.

Now, if you don't mind paying $500 or $600 for a gaming console, that's fine. If you're trying to say it's a great deal because Sony is losing so much on each unit, or because it costs less than a top of the line PC, then you're just fooling yourself with false rationalizations.

Radd has a good point, no matter how much you want to to convince us Lumir, it's just not holding water.

I mean really......

Everything I wish to say to you about how your post border on the rediculous, have already been pointed out above and from others.

Beside at £500 (UK announced price) if i chip in another £200 (which would amount to two PS3 generation games and an extra controller)

I can get a decent laptop. Which in retrospect is a much better investment.

Old 2006-10-10, 08:23   Link #163
Lebron
I hear voices

PS3 is not a computer, its a video game machine. Just like Radd said, they tried to go down that road with the PS2 and got their butts sued. You say that if you want to play just games, then the PS3 is expensive, but your getting it so you can do more? You mean like Cure Cancer and shoot off military missles?

The PS3 is a gaming console, and should be a gaming console. If your not buyiing video game systems to play video games, then yes something is wrong.

Just my 2cents

Last edited by Lebron; 2006-10-10 at 11:36.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 08:34   Link #164
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
Just a reminder for anyone remotely interested in pre-ordering a PS3

GameStop/EB is having a extremely limited pre-order offer.
Starting today (Probably only a few minutes after it opens) upon opening of store you will be able to put $100 down on a PS3.
CRITICAL - Each store is getting a very limited amount, once that quota is fulfilled then there will be no more reservations.

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 12:24   Link #165
Lyshen

Heh, decided to stop by an EB store (Century City) to try my luck at preordering. Went there about 15 minutes before the store opened and there was at least 10+ people waiting. Somehow I don't think all 10+ will be getting a unit even if they were all allowed to preorder.

EBs email about the preorder says that even if you place a deposit, there is no guarantee that you will get a unit.
Lyshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 13:09   Link #166
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
Quote:
EBs email about the preorder says that even if you place a deposit, there is no guarantee that you will get a unit.
they are saying that to cover their asses this time around. Remember how the 360 launch went? When a ton of people that did pre-order the system went without obtaining the system for a few weeks, hell months even.

I'm pretty sure this is how it went down today. Each store is allocated an 'estimated' number of units, 8 being the minimum a store would get. Each store also has the ability to put 2 aside for the employees. Once the store knows its allotment for the ps3 launch then they are able to tally up the number of "reservations" they can willingly take.

I went to the gamestop across the street from my house. I got there around 8:00-8:15 and there were already 6 people there. Gamestop opens at 10. By the time 10 rolled around there were a good 20 people in line. Also with that, they store opener came out and said that he would only be able to take 10 "reservations" along with the disclaimer that "blah blah blah doesn't guarantee you a unit in the event of a shipping shortage, manufacturer decision or what not." I was #7 so I'm straight.

Anyhow my point is that they are just saying that to cover their asses this time, so no one is 300% angry at them for a fubared launch that they can not control.

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 13:34   Link #167
Lumir

I guess im just one of those people that can strongly relate to sony. I see nothing ridiculous about my posts.

I am a consumer that wishes to purchase something more then a game machine with the next gen counsles. Which the ps3 seems to be.

I know most of you could really care less about the other features and are looking for a strait up game machine, but you have to face the fact that sony is going beyond that and making a do-it-all media device. Now of course its not really a do-it-all but rather a do-more-then-game.

I am suprised that some of you havent seen, (or at least seem like it due to your posts) the ps3 video's out there. There was talk about the sony network, and being able to send your "Own" game ideas to the various game companies... As well as surfing the web using multiple web pages that is much like firefox. Having a list of friends you can communicate with, and know when they are online, much like MSN messanger/AIM.

Things like being able to connect a usb keybord, possibly mouse, camera, and much more by simply plugging the device in is simply amazing for a multi-device game-machine.

See for me i see the ps3 as an invesment, not just as a game machine but also as another computer as well. And im willing to say there will be software release which will make the ps3 much like a computer, whether its official or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ Onizuka-GTO:

Come up with a web site that will allow you to build a laptop with the same specs as a ps3, as well as capabilities... for under 700 USD... Then you will have something worth posting... other whys your post is nothing more then a waste...

And just because a laptop may be a better investment to you dose not mean the same for me.

Also, finally whos trying to convince anyone of anything here? I simply stated a fact that for me (a person looking for a next gen pc), the price for the ps3 is well outrageously good for what it comes with, compare to pc's on the market right now.

To even compare a laptop to a ps3 is what id say unfair, for the laptop that is. A laptop dosent have a chance in my opinion. Even if you could some how come up with enough power in a laptop to out-class the ps3, by the time you finish making it you'd be at least in the $2000 USD range...

Please dont try and include everyone in the forum, like the all agree with you by saying "Us". Its just... yea you know.

And can you try and post something that dosent flame someone for there opinion? Can you post something factual that gives others new info rather then pick a fight?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for all you looking for a strait up next gen game consule, id suggest the WII. And i suggest it over the 360 because the 360 seems to be fallowing the same path as sony... multi-media.

Last edited by Lumir; 2006-10-10 at 13:44.
Lumir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 14:06   Link #168
kvnphm1

I arrived at gamestop at 8:45 4th in line. Got my preorder in at 10:45 computer malfunction of course. I guess it depend on location and my store close preorder at 11 people in line and other places ended alot earlier at ~6.
kvnphm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 15:10   Link #169
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Quote:

Come up with a web site that will allow you to build a laptop with the same specs as a ps3, as well as capabilities... for under 700 USD...
I really think you had a well writen respond...But then you compared PS3 to PC.

If Powerwise...Yes. It is it is hard....But in Capablities...I really do not think you understand the implications Sony would recieve if they did that. If they even tried todo that...People like me would never buy a game. And were is the DVD Burner^^ Or the ability to upgrade parts^^ PC and PS3 is in an entire different leagues with capabilties.

And and smart guy...Here is were the flaw always is at with people comparing the two. I bet you included Speakers...Monitor...Keyboard and mouse also into the price of a PC^^ Yet the PS3 doesnt come with it either now:P The only two things you can compare is the box and PS3...And Yes you can make the box's power very close already to the PC if you know were to order from and make it yourself for about the same price. Because with your logic...Guess we have to include that HDTV also^^ The home audio system...Not to mention the Keyboard and mouse and controllers now too to the PS3 costs^^

There is a reason why its only Sony Saying its as good as a PC^^ They are trying to do the samething they did with PS2...They can avoid a quite of bit of Tax in Europe if its a PC...At best its a horrible Gimped PC
And if you care to know more on PCs...Best forums in the world

Like I said...its just Sony PR:P Need we remind you of everything Sony's Pr on PS3 has said over the years^^
Old 2006-10-10, 18:55   Link #170
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I wouldn't want a PS3 at launch (this is just me, personally). The first major exclusives I want are still with TBA release dates (MGS 4, FF XIII). However, by late next year, when these games will be hitting the shelves or nearing completion, I'll be out of college and starting my first real job, and I'll also go and get an HDTV after college (one with 1080p, I figure), so getting a PS3 in more than a year from now sounds good.
Old 2006-10-10, 22:09   Link #171
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I'll be out of college and starting my first real job, and I'll also go and get an HDTV after college (one with 1080p, I figure), so getting a PS3 in more than a year from now sounds good.
If you do so, make sure that it's at least a 50-inch TV. Apparently the differences between 720p and 1080p are harder to notice on a smaller TV (even 40-inch) unless you get up close. IGN has some pretty good articles on the whole HDTV thing...I was just reading one of said articles earlier today.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/738/738065p1.html

Here's an excerpt:

A number of questions today ask whether 1080p is worth the premium it carries in terms of cost. While there's some room for debate, in practical application 1080p is not suited for displays smaller than 50-inches, unless you sit extremely close to the TV (like within 4 feet). At the usual 8-10 foot home theater viewing distance, 1080p doesn't look any different than 720p on a 40-inch display.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 22:56   Link #172
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I wouldn't want a PS3 at launch (this is just me, personally). The first major exclusives I want are still with TBA release dates (MGS 4, FF XIII). However, by late next year, when these games will be hitting the shelves or nearing completion, I'll be out of college and starting my first real job, and I'll also go and get an HDTV after college (one with 1080p, I figure), so getting a PS3 in more than a year from now sounds good.
Now This is a good plan^^
Old 2006-10-10, 23:01   Link #173
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

All I'm saying is that a PS3 will NOT be a replacement for a PC. Most of us have PCs. Most of us have PCs that already can do all the multimedia stuff that both the PS3 and 360 can do, plus even more.

As Shinoto and others have pointed out, Sony tried to sell the PS2 as a personal computer, and they're probably trying again for the same reason. The huge tax break they stand to get in Europe.
Quote:
and being able to send your "Own" game ideas to the various game companies...
If you can't see anything wrong with this idea, well...let me just say that there's a reason most entertainment companies of any sort will not take game/movie/story/character ideas proposed by fans.
Old 2006-10-11, 01:34   Link #174
Lebron
I hear voices

little off topic, but GOW is going to cause my grades to drop in college
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 06:47   Link #175
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
@ Onizuka-GTO:

Come up with a web site that will allow you to build a laptop with the same specs as a ps3, as well as capabilities... for under 700 USD...

Oh I agree with you, it would be terribly difficult to find a decent Laptop under US$700....

But then again, I never said US$700 I said £700.

700 POUND STERLING.

For you unenlighten Americans when that is converted into your rebel currency, it's equal to:

US$1,300.52

I dunno about you lot, but £700/$1,300.52 is just the right amount of money, it would be difficult for me to say you can get a laptop to match the specs of the PS3, but then it can be pretty close, especially with multi-core performance.

And as someone else mention, you will have to pay abit more, as your HDTV isn't included in the bundle, a very serious oversight if it's suppose to be an all round media device.

Which I recall, is something we got already. It's called the Media PC.

Old 2006-10-11, 08:12   Link #176
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

For the People Who listen to Sony's PR

Guess Europians...Dont mind Waiting for games...Or Delays

And More Sony PR...Fresh off the press^^

Last edited by Shinoto; 2006-10-11 at 15:14.
Shinoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 19:42   Link #177
Dnous
wut

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php...d=68677&page=1 The guys from eurogamer managed to get some details on the PS3's online service. IMO it sounds rly good except the free online gaming part, since sony will just let the developpers host the servers and they will have the option of asking for money to play.
Dnous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 11:20   Link #178
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

PS3 controller, official price: $50

hmm...if i pay an extra $10 from a certain other company console, i can get TWO controllers.
Now that's value for money.
Old 2006-10-20, 20:32   Link #179
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Sony PS3 costs less than the Xbox 360 without a price drop!

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/s...hus-costs-700/
Old 2006-10-21, 00:53   Link #180
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd View Post
Sony PS3 costs less than the Xbox 360 without a price drop!

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/s...hus-costs-700/
great news, except Sony once again shot itself in the foot.

Sony Bans European Hardware Imports from Lik-Sang

Yup. great going Sony, as if Europe hasn't suffered enough.

Tags
console