AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-12-13, 14:16   Link #61
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

While I like the idea of limited ammo, it doesn't seem like it would work well in Mass Effect. It would be near impossible to run out of ammo in the Mass Effect universe unless you were fighting and shooting constantly for, say, an entire day. Mass Effect weapons use a single metal block as their ammo, and every "bullet" is merely a small piece sliced off by the internal mechanisms and fired. Here's the actual codex entry;

"All modern infantry weapons from pistols to assault rifles use micro-scaled mass accelerator technology. Projectiles consist of tiny metal slugs suspended within a mass-reducing field, accelerated by magnetic force to speeds that inflict kinetic damage.

The ammo magazine is a simple block of metal. The gun's internal computer calculates the mass needed to reach the target based on distance, gravity, and atmospheric pressure, then shears off an appropriate sized slug from the block. A single block can supply thousands of rounds, making ammo a non-issue during any engagement.

Top-line weapons also feature smart targeting that allows them to correct for weather and environment. Firing on a target in a howling gale feels the same as it does on a calm day on a practice range. Smart targeting does not mean a bullet will automatically find the mark every time the trigger is pulled; it only makes it easier for the marksman to aim."
Old 2009-12-13, 14:48   Link #62
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

You actually read the codex entries? I always skipped over them, they didnt really interest me when I play games I dont read all the info they give in forms of journals or whatever.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 15:12   Link #63
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*shrug* Some do, some don't. Me? I read every single one of them, I love deep worlds, and not reading the lore of the world feels... wasted.

That said, this particular piece is easily reconnected.

"With the Reapers, the races of the galaxy discovered that their vaunted mass effect technology left them vulnerable. As research into alternative weapons began, commissions for other, more archaic weapons began to rise. Smelling a market they once thought lost rising from the ashes, the arms industry launched a major campaign, designing and selling ammunition-based weaponry. It was a smashing success, and the council had to reluctantly accept that, though the motivation for the arms industry was one of greed, the revival of research and widespread use in ammunition-based weaponry would aid the inevitable war against the Reapers."

Or something along those lines. I can't wait to see Bioware's story behind this.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 15:20   Link #64
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Oh that is so smart, the Reapers would never think of ammo! They will be caught off-guard and defeated, oh how smart of the races, lets go back a step in century so we can fight the Reapers with weapons that CAN run out of ammo instead of weapons with endless amounts of ammo.

Bravo BioWare, bravo.

Old 2009-12-13, 16:09   Link #65
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Actually, that was just a little theory of mine.

But would you rather fight them with weapons they themselves created? Remember, the Reapers are the ones who invented Mass technology in the first place. They're masters on the area. I would sooner send my scientist to work on weapons that don't use Mass technology instead of trying to catch up to a race that has had milenia to perfect it.
Old 2009-12-13, 16:12   Link #66
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

But would you rather fight them with weapons they themselves created? Remember, the Reapers are the ones who invented Mass technology in the first place. They're masters on the area. I would sooner send my scientist to work on weapons that don't use Mass technology instead of trying to catch up to a race that has had milenia to perfect theirs.
Well how about improve the weapons that use Mass Technology so much that they dont understand how it is used. Also they created the Mass Relays they didnt create the guns, the scientists just used the concept of Mass Relays on the guns.

Old 2009-12-13, 16:45   Link #67
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

So you're saying we should improve the technology we can't even get to the Prothean's level after several centuries of study beyond a level that the guys who ate the Protheans for breakfast can understand?

And the Reapers created the entire Mass technology, not just the relays, the entirety of it. Logically, they also know how to use Mass technology in relation to weapons, they've had thousands of milenia to perfect them. In fact, Sovereign even tells us that much, that everything is designed to guide the organics down a predictable path of development. You'll note that Sovereign was nigh-impervious to any of the Mass-based weapons shot at him. It wasn't until Shepard took out the Sovereign-controlled Saren, effectively killing Sovereign, that the human fleet was able to harm Sovereign.

So, yeah, I don't think Mass technology is what we should focus on. And by the looks of ME2, unless there is another reason behind the sudden appearance of limited ammo, the rest of the ME2 universe agrees.

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-12-13 at 17:18.
Old 2009-12-13, 16:54   Link #68
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

But would you rather fight them with weapons they themselves created? Remember, the Reapers are the ones who invented Mass technology in the first place. They're masters on the area. I would sooner send my scientist to work on weapons that don't use Mass technology instead of trying to catch up to a race that has had milenia to perfect it.
Hmm I'd say the creators of the reapers created the mass relay technology and the reapers are just using that tech to their own end.

I'd say that puts the other races who have now reverse engineered the mass tech on a similar level given that in both instances they learned the tech from somebody else.

However given how advanced the reapers themselves are I'd say they're past the need for the mass relay technology.

Anyway I loved mass effect and cant for the second n.n

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 16:59   Link #69
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, we don't even know the Reapers origin, so it is hard to say if there was a race that created them, or they created themselves (a-la Borg, if you will) and even if they were created, whether that race also invented the Mass technology remains open for debate.

As for calling them equal... I wouldn't say that. Remember, the current galaxy isn't even up to the Prothean's standard, and the Prothean program admitted they themselves were fully inferior to the Reapers. Add to that the... less than stellar defense of the Citadel prior to Shepard's intervention, and I wouldn't call them equal by a long shot.
Old 2009-12-13, 17:30   Link #70
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Well, we don't even know the Reapers origin, so it is hard to say if there was a race that created them, or they created themselves (a-la Borg, if you will) and even if they were created, whether that race also invented the Mass technology remains open for debate.

As for calling them equal... I wouldn't say that. Remember, the current galaxy isn't even up to the Prothean's standard, and the Prothean program admitted they themselves were fully inferior to the Reapers. Add to that the... less than stellar defense of the Citadel prior to Shepard's intervention, and I wouldn't call them equal by a long shot.
Well i'll agree that its certainly debatable about the origin of the reapers and indeed the mass tech but given how much it differs from the reapers own its not completely unfounded to imagine they didnt create it themselves.

On another note iirc didnt the prothean AI say that the prothean tech itself was reverse engineered from the mass relay tech left behind for them to find by the reapers?

So in a sense when it comes down to it the protheans level of tech was no more advanced than the current races given that it was all just based on previous tech left behind by the reapers.

Also given that the reapers have now chosen to begin the destruction of the galaxy I'd ascertain that the current citadel races have equaled the technological level of the protheans.

Well at least thats how I look at it but whatever the case its quite interesting to have such a deep universe to dive into.

Old 2009-12-13, 17:34   Link #71
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

He did say that. He also noted how they were utterly crushed by said Reapers. And the current galaxy still doesn't fully understand many of the Prothean relics, and is still hunting for them.

Another theory: What about these collectors? By the looks of things, they're a biological society, the direct opposite of the Reapers. What if, rather than working for the Reapers, they will turn out to hold the key to defeating them? They're a race that seemingly has evolved in its own way, and might hold technology vastly different from Mass technology.
Old 2009-12-13, 17:51   Link #72
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I had pondered about the collectors myself and i'm interested to see their releationship with the geth as they are almost mirrored opposites (completely organic ruled by a single queen/king vs completely mechanical hive mind) and both supposedly allies.

Anyway in gameplay terms it looks to be a nice change from fighting mostly robotic geth in the first outing.

Old 2009-12-13, 17:56   Link #73
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
He did say that. He also noted how they were utterly crushed by said Reapers. And the current galaxy still doesn't fully understand many of the Prothean relics, and is still hunting for them.
They were hunting for them because they thought that discovering their relics would lead to a bigger scientific break through however if it turns out that the technology the protheans have is only slightly better then the protheans would not seem that great.

My point is instead of going backwards using ammo systems again or just using the same technology they should be trying to advance it by updating and creating new technology based on the old ones. If they renew it then the Reapers will not be suspecting it and might be caught by surprise.

Old 2009-12-13, 19:19   Link #74
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

I'm wondering if I should buy this game. I haven't played the first. I'm not into Western RPG's. Since they tend to feel like MMOfflineRPG's in my experience. I got bored out of fallout 3 pretty fast. What was it that made ME1 good? If the story is epic and the battlesystem is good, that would be good enough for me.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 19:25   Link #75
Statonxyb
hrm

Bethesda =/= BioWare

Mass Effect has a great storyline, amazing dialogue, superb voice acting and musical score and the combat is great to boot.

While Bethesda's games are wide open and full of worldly decisions, they don't have the immersion factor that BioWare RPGs do.

Mass Effect is completely different than Fallout 3.
Old 2009-12-13, 22:37   Link #76
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statonxyb View Post
Bethesda =/= BioWare

Mass Effect has a great storyline, amazing dialogue, superb voice acting and musical score and the combat is great to boot.

While Bethesda's games are wide open and full of worldly decisions, they don't have the immersion factor that BioWare RPGs do.

Mass Effect is completely different than Fallout 3.
Bethesda = Freeroaming with minor story
Bioware = Super awesome story and characters.

I <3 both these companies, if they Joined forces... god help us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
I'm wondering if I should buy this game. I haven't played the first. I'm not into Western RPG's. Since they tend to feel like MMOfflineRPG's in my experience. I got bored out of fallout 3 pretty fast. What was it that made ME1 good? If the story is epic and the battlesystem is good, that would be good enough for me.
play it, listen to no one elses opinions. but in my opinion(lol) its great. except the extra planets.
Old 2009-12-14, 05:56   Link #77
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
One thing that needs warning is that -combat wise- Mass Effect is not an average RPG. It doesn't have turn based combat, hitting is fully dependent on how well you aim instead of background dice rolls. There are still stats and skills, skill points increase weapon damage, your persuade or intimidate, give you new skills and so on, while you still have health and defense to increase as well.

Aside from the combat though, Mass Effect is a solid RPG. It's not 'free roaming do whatever you want' like Oblivion, instead a clear story runs through it.

If anything, I would describe Mass Effect as a JRPG by a western company. A deep story in a rich world. If you don't mind the shooter like combat system, than I can fully recommend this game, because the story makes this a straight up guarantee for fun.
Old 2009-12-14, 09:10   Link #78
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Subject Zero? Is she the girl which you tried to rescue at the hangar during the first ME which you returned to the Citadel?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 09:34   Link #79
Hourai Rabbit
Blissfully Ignorant

Ah, now that would be interesting. On the other hand we don't know anything about her beyond what we've seen in the trailers and press releases so far. My guess is that she has nothing to do with the previous game.
Old 2009-12-14, 10:30   Link #80
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Am definitely trying it now. So do you guys recommend just w8ing for ME2 or should I get both?
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, mass effect, mass effect 2