AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-13, 17:07   Link #1
qwertyuiopz

high budget animes

im looking for animes with movie-like animation quality...any out there?
something like kamichu where the whole series is well animated and not like naruto where high budget episodes come after 10 lame ones
Old 2010-04-13, 17:19   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

Almost anything by Kyoto Animation, (Air TV, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1st season, CLANNAD, Kanon 2006) have excellent and consistent animation.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann- Excluding episode 4, the anime has consistent animation. Nevertheless there are a few episodes that are especially good (ep 15 and last four episodes)

There are also two movies based on the series with the first adapting the first half of the show and the second movie adapting the second half. The first movie reuses more footage from the TV series, but also includes a major battle at the end that isn't in the TV series. The 2nd movie makes more changes and is definitely watching for the redone final battle, which does the impossible and manages to be more epic than the TV series version.

Seirei no Moribito also boasts superb animation, and although there are relatively few of them, the fight scenes are especially well animated, probably some of the best I've seen.
Old 2010-04-13, 17:23   Link #3
Haladflire65
*Artist

Studio BONES' animes generally have great animation. Darker than Black, Soul Eater, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood... FMA:B's latest episodes have been pretty darn perfect in terms of animation quality.

Also, try Kuroshitsuji. Taking place in 18th Century England, the backgrounds and character designs are beautiful and detailed. There's a great soundtrack and story, too, as a plus.
Old 2010-04-13, 17:25   Link #4
qwertyuiopz

doh i forgot to say i already know the good companies that produce good animation like kyoto, bones, a1 pictures, production ig etc. but thanks for the last one i havent seen it yet
Old 2010-04-13, 20:15   Link #5
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

you should follow Angel Beats. PA Works does a great job at animation. consensus is ep 2 looks like an ova.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-04-13, 20:25   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
you should follow Angel Beats. PA Works does a great job at animation. consensus is ep 2 looks like an ova.
I second this, and also Canaan from the newer studio P.A. Works last year had pretty high budget animation wise would have probably won visual if not for a certain movie .
Sora no Woto from A1 Pictures had amazing animation for backgrounds of the anime.
MAL
Old 2010-04-13, 21:10   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I seem to be one of the few people who think Madhouse has done consistently excellent work over the past few years. I'd suggest any of these series or movies deserve your attention:

Summer Wars
Dennou Coil
Mouryou no Hako
Aoi Bungaku
Black Lagoon
Kurozuka
Oh! Edo Rocket

It's hard for us to tell which shows had big budgets. From the hype before its release, I'd venture to guess that Seirei no Moribito had some serious funding behind it, and it shows. Moribito is the television show that probably comes closest in quality to film, especially in scenes that animate water, which is central to the plot. Other recent shows from I.G that look to have bigger-than-average bankrolls include Ghost Hound (the studio's official 20th Anniversary release), Real Drive, and Eden of the East.

I also don't know how much money Nakamura Kenji and his team at Toei had available when they animated the "Bakeneko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, or its sequel Mononoke. Whatever the budget was, these shows are among the best-animated television series I've seen. I can admire Nakamura's work on the more recent series, Trapeze, as well, but I didn't find the stories as compelling.
Old 2010-04-13, 22:12   Link #8
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
SeijiSensei almost said everything >_< seconded his suggestions....

"Seirei no Moribito" one of the most outstanding anime I've watched specially when it comes to background and animation.... it's really so mesmerizing...

I don't know if Aria is highly budgeted or what but I also recommend that one...

hmmmm Kara no Kyoukai if you haven't watched it I recommend that... (it's a 6 parts movie so it's really highly budgeted I think...)
Old 2010-04-13, 22:16   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yup, Seirei no Moribito has without question the move "movie quality" animation of any TV anime I've seen. And it's a great story to boot. Generally, anything by Production I.G. and Bones is going to be well above average animation quality, as will KyoAni if you enjoy their particular style. I also recommend TTGL as a very high-quality production.
Old 2010-04-13, 22:55   Link #10
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

@konakaga, what movie do you speak of?

I'm fairly sure Aria was a low budget production, but Origination's artwork/animation/music was off the charts. one of the best looking shows in recent years.

also, garden of sinners is pretty high budget.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-04-14, 04:34   Link #11
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
@konakaga, what movie do you speak of?
Kara no Kyoukai of course, since it slaughtered here in numerous categories here.

Edit: Also I agree with Seirei no Moribito, though starting worrying if it recommended too much <_<.
MAL
Old 2010-04-15, 15:38   Link #12
Boduar

Hellsing OVA's count right>?
Old 2010-04-15, 18:03   Link #13
retardation
phantom loser

i never finished the series but basquatch looked pretty damn awesome from an animation point of view.
Old 2010-04-15, 19:08   Link #14
neshru

The only series with consistently awesome animation that comes to my mind right now is Xam'd Lost Memories. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is also pretty high budget, though not quite on the same level.
Old 2010-04-15, 20:08   Link #15
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

These two series are very similar in overall atmosphere and epic visual quality...

Planetes and Moonlight Mile...

Both are very good series with incredible visually richness when it comes to it's depiction of Outer-Space...What makes them unique is the fact that it's a tangible, realistic depiction of the future of Space...

Also an alltime visual favorite of mine...Gankutsuou...I'd say it's one of the most creatively created series in the area of background visuals and palette usage...It's absolutely breath-taking at times...I've honestly not seen anything that uses colors quite as magnificently as this show...
Old 2010-04-17, 09:10   Link #16
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Katanagatari?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-04-18, 07:45   Link #17
Esyrja

I know bones has been mentioned already, but I'd like to make special mention of two animes that are among the few series with a large episode number (20+) that use NO stock footage, none whatsoever that I've seen, its all new every damn scene. And those two are Eureka 7 and Xam'd Lost Memories, both of which, at least in my opinion, are amazing in their animation quality and are damn fine animes otherwise too.
Old 2010-04-18, 12:25   Link #18
klare

i guess u mean high-budget TV series with movie-like quality, the ones i have seen that i think belong to that category are:

- Seirei no Moribito >> if u have seen it, u will wonder why it is not well-known

- Eden of the East >> i remember they rendered the whole Washington area

- Macross Frontier

- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GIG
Old 2010-04-18, 16:35   Link #19
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I second this, and also Canaan from the newer studio P.A. Works last year had pretty high budget animation wise would have probably won visual if not for a certain movie .
Sora no Woto from A1 Pictures had amazing animation for backgrounds of the anime.
Yes, I'd definitely recommend Canaan. The fight scenes and character animations were quite exceptional, second only to Seirei no Moribito IMO.

Spoiler:

FLAG and Last Exile are also pretty top-notch.
Old 2010-04-18, 19:36   Link #20
Craymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I second Dennou Coil. It has top notch consistent animation and I really enjoyed the story as well.
Closed Thread