AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-08-18, 23:15   Link #921
kujoe
from head to heel

With regard to the lack of the first game, Bioware has confirmed that there's something being done to at least cover that.

Quote:
BioWare CEO Ray Muzyka has revealed to VG247 that Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network DLC will be available for the PS3 version in a "full way." While he didn't get too specific, he indicated that "a lot," if not all of the post-release content that's been released for the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game will be integrated into the initial PS3 release. Additionally, the PS3 port will feature some form of an "introduction experience that provides the backstory and the things that have happened" in the first game (which is not available on PS3).

"We haven't revealed what that is yet," Muzyka said of the introduction for first-time Mass Effect players. "It'll be something that provides a good introduction and provides a lot of the backstory and introduces you well to the story-arc, and kind of makes you feel like you're part of it all. And then you can jump right into the action in Mass Effect 2."
I wonder how that'll work. Perhaps this addition can give PS3 users a chance to determine ME decisions that they can carry over to the second game.

source
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 23:20   Link #922
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I wonder how that'll work. Perhaps this addition can give PS3 users a chance to determine ME decisions that they can carry over to the second game.
Well, technically, you could've done that with the 360 version also for those who didn't play the first one or lost their save file. I'm guessing it's gonna be a more expansive version of the brief evaluation/quizzing Miranda gives Shepard in the beginning.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 23:24   Link #923
kujoe
from head to heel

Are you talking about that part in the story where Miranda and Jacob ask you a bunch of questions in the shuttle?

If I remember correctly, that doesn't cover every decision that you can make in the first game. It does however, cover the more important ones such as character background and the final decision that was made at the end of ME.
Old 2010-08-18, 23:37   Link #924
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Are you talking about that part in the story where Miranda and Jacob ask you a bunch of questions in the shuttle?

If I remember correctly, that doesn't cover every decision that you can make in the first game. It does however, cover the more important ones such as character background and the final decision that was made at the end of ME.
Yeah, that's why I figure it might get expanded to cover more decisions, though that doesn't sound like the big deal Muzyka is making it out to be.

Another thought occurred to me: It'll never happen, but it'd be awesome if Bioware remade all of ME1 (or at least a big chunk of it) with the ME2 gameplay engine and included it with their release. The PS3 version will practically be a bundle package then, and they can just call it ME2 to avoid any legal issues that would possibly arise (though I can't imagine MS would be too pleased about it). The blu-ray could probably hold both games on a single disc anyway.

Old 2010-08-19, 07:26   Link #925
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
There's just no pleasing some people. Like posters have mentioned already, ME1 has no shot at being released on PS3 because Microsoft owns the rights. ME2, however, is fair game. With this, PS3-only owners can at least now get a taste of the Mass Effect world and Bioware gets a very deserving extra buck for their great game. Everybody wins.

The only people this hurts are retarded fanboys, and that means nothing to anybody with a bit of sense to 'em.
My point is why release the second part of a trilogy if their userbase cant play the first.

It doesnt make sense the first game is pivotal in setting the scene and backdrop for the story and also the development of important characters.

Its got nothing to so with fanboyisum but with PS3 players getting the raw end of the deal just to line a few pockets.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 07:53   Link #926
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Maybe they plan on doing a more indep recap thing like they did for the beginning
Old 2010-08-19, 08:12   Link #927
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I'm sure they could but still a lot happened in the first and I doubt they could cover all the important events, character backgrounds and the politics in a recap.

The only way I could see it working is if they added a ton of new cut-scenes and dialog and maybe included flashbacks or something similar.

Old 2010-08-19, 11:02   Link #928
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
My point is why release the second part of a trilogy if their userbase cant play the first.

It doesnt make sense the first game is pivotal in setting the scene and backdrop for the story and also the development of important characters.

Its got nothing to so with fanboyisum but with PS3 players getting the raw end of the deal just to line a few pockets.
I don't get this "all or nothing" approach. I'm sure there are folks who are plenty glad to just be able to finally play ANYTHING Mass Effect, and who are we to tell 'em that it's senseless? It ain't the same as playing the first, but there'll supposedly be a in-depth primer included in the new release, and if players are really that interested, it isn't too hard to find info on that internet thing. It's better than nothing.

You make it out like Bioware is trying to scam its customers or something. The players know what they're getting themselves into...those who want to experience a piece of the ME world finally get their chance, Bioware gets to make more money (a good thing, IMO), and if somebody doesn't want to play it because they want to play ME1 first, well nothing changes for them. Who gets hurt? To say Bioware shouldn't release it at all because you personally wouldn't want it that way is a bit egocentric.

Old 2010-08-19, 20:30   Link #929
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Without the first new players just aren't going to have the same experience as the rest of us, an experience tailored by bio-ware in that the decisions you make carry real weight in the story and thats going to be a bit of a mute point if they're jumping into a story thats already half way through.

I remember how chuffed I was to recruit Garrus again and how my heart was literally in my mouth at the end when I descovered that my squad could actually be killed off and that just isn't something a new player is going to get unless they've played the first and in the end isn't that what bio-ware intended?

In the end Its hardly going to fall flat on its face and hell I'm sure plenty of people will lap it up but I cant help but feel they'll be missing out on alot.

On the money side its the publisher who'll benefit most.

Thats my opinion on the matter, you don't have to agree but I think its a little harsh to call it egocentric.

Last edited by Drake; 2010-08-19 at 20:44.
Old 2010-08-19, 22:38   Link #930
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

They could market it so much more if they tweaked the first game by just a tad and sell/release them at the same time. Hell! They don't have to tweak anything at all and just release them for PS3. Honestly I can see more money for them that way.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 01:52   Link #931
kujoe
from head to heel

I wonder if Bioware and EA can get out of legal contraints by releasing a different version of the first Mass Effect, with enough differences and under a different name.

Mass Effect: Origins... or something.

Doubtful, I suppose.
Old 2010-08-21, 01:55   Link #932
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
I wonder if Bioware and EA can get out of legal contraints by releasing a different version of the first Mass Effect, with enough differences and under a different name.
You mean like with Ninja Gaiden 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2?
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 01:59   Link #933
kujoe
from head to heel

Something like that perhaps. If I remember correctly, Ninja Gaiden 2 was also published by Microsoft.

Basically, what I'm saying is that it might be possible if the rereleased game would be different enough.

Anyway, just a thought.
Old 2010-08-24, 02:26   Link #934
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
New Lair of the Shadow Broker details:

-Costs 800 BW/MS points, making it the most expensive DLC released for ME2 when you don't count Cerberus Network.

-Release Date is September 7.

-Adds new research. Has 5 achievements to get.

-Allows you to continue your relationship with Liara if you had one with her in ME1.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 20:08   Link #935
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I thought some of you might enjoy this. I know I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY-ejH6bdi8
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 20:12   Link #936
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I thought some of you might enjoy this. I know I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY-ejH6bdi8
Sovereign is just win with that
Old 2010-08-24, 22:33   Link #937
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Sovereign is Napolian dynomight XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
New Lair of the Shadow Broker details:

-Costs 800 BW/MS points, making it the most expensive DLC released for ME2 when you don't count Cerberus Network.

-Release Date is September 7.

-Adds new research. Has 5 achievements to get.

-Allows you to continue your relationship with Liara if you had one with her in ME1.
"lets put the bi alien first to shut up the same sex topics on our forums" don't hate, you know its true :P

I wonder wth they will come up with for ash?
Old 2010-09-01, 13:22   Link #938
killer3000ad

Trailer for the upcoming DLC.
Old 2010-09-02, 23:39   Link #939
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I came....
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 10:42   Link #940
killer3000ad

A chase scene from the new DLC. I like the banter between Shephard and Liara.

Tags
bioware, mass effect, mass effect 2