AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2016-04-27, 05:51   Link #381
Tenzen12

Quote:
Come to think of it, that was rather a lot of work that had been done. And now his holiday was over.
Crazy scientists has weird idea how holidays looks like. At least mine doesn't involve completely changing understanding of science and magic.

Well Cato should do that more often, it apparently bring progress on ...various fronts. Minmay is more than capable handling acadamy (and lot of other stuff)

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2016-04-27 at 06:06.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-27, 06:34   Link #382
jseah

It's probably because Cato's been saving up ideas to test in partnership with Landar and has just been too busy to get time.

Mm. It's totally not because I wanted to make some progress or we'll never get to magitech.
(next arc starts the true foundation of a magic-industrial economy, also the zombie war comes back)

It's only been two years since Summoning though so this is ridiculously fast.
I know it feels less time than that. I guess I need to work on presenting time skips instead of just skipping straight into the scene.
Old 2016-04-27, 06:37   Link #383
ndiezel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseah View Post
It's probably because Cato's been saving up ideas to test in partnership with Landar and has just been too busy to get time.

Mm. It's totally not because I wanted to make some progress or we'll never get to magitech.
(next arc starts the true foundation of a magic-industrial economy, also the zombie war comes back)

It's only been two years since Summoning though so this is ridiculously fast.
I know it feels less time than that. I guess I need to work on presenting time skips instead of just skipping straight into the scene.
Yeah, it's confusing at times. You read new scene and then someone tell that university developed something new and you're like 'What?! When they got time to do this?'. Very hard to compose image of timeline.
ndiezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-27, 07:22   Link #384
Tenzen12

I guess it might be confusing (if other people say so), though I myself didn't have such problem. R&D is not work for week neither traveling across country and fending monsters. Two years sound legit (thought I am not sure if I guessed right if you asked before this post).

Well I definitely wouldn't say less.
Old 2016-04-27, 07:36   Link #385
jseah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I guess it might be confusing (if other people say so), though I myself didn't have such problem. R&D is not work for week neither traveling across country and fending monsters. Two years sound legit (thought I am not sure if I guessed right if you asked before this post).

Well I definitely wouldn't say less.
Well, Cato did just advance magic understanding significantly in the space of the three weeks in the expedition.

It's almost like all the important inventions only happen when the 'camera' is pointing at them. =P

Just take it that the behind the scenes theoretical work happens off screen. =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndiezel View Post
Yeah, it's confusing at times. You read new scene and then someone tell that university developed something new and you're like 'What?! When they got time to do this?'. Very hard to compose image of timeline.
Even two years is still stupidly fast. Even if a lot of the inventions are university-only currently. (and as we will see, the rest of the world still can't even get standardized measurements to work)

But you can consider it Cato's cheat if you want. It's basically as good as a cheat really.
Old 2016-04-27, 07:48   Link #386
Darius Drake

Part of the problem with guessing the "timeline" is that we don't really receive much information that points to anything concrete. Sure, there's the stuff that Cato & Landar's promoting, but that's far too general to use as a timeline. It's not really TOO big a stretch for readers, even slightly knowledgeable ones, to assume that everything that's happened in Minmay has occurred in only six months. Alternatively, guessing that it's been three to five years is easily possible, too. Due to it not being properly specified, nor are there many "big annual events" popping up into the story, such as the presence of Snow in Minmay (and, no, I'm not even sure if it's possible, I don't pay that much attention) causing significant problems.
Darius Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-27, 07:53   Link #387
Tenzen12

I think six month definitely is stretch. We are talking about two expeditions, war, establishing academy, natural formation of slums and it's not like Landar and Cato weren't here even before they gain Minmays support.

I would guess, at least year here and maybe little less than one before.
Old 2016-04-27, 07:58   Link #388
Darius Drake

Yes, but you're thinking reasonably, after looking at it in-depth. I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of "Eh, I'll read it in my spare time to fill it. It is interesting, after all." Basically, someone who's reading without thinking wouldn't have much trouble just randomly guessing a much shorter period of time than the story actually has covered, just because they didn't really put much thought into it.
Darius Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-27, 08:21   Link #389
Tenzen12

...how should I answer that?

Let's see. Readers not giving enough thoughts is something unavoidable, there will be always that kind of people, but I would rather not take these for standard, especially if work in question trying (and succeeds) to be smart and thoughts inducing.
Old 2016-04-27, 08:26   Link #390
jseah

I'll mention it in the Cato's Notes then. Perhaps more emphasis in the Cel Inci this year being massively different from last year's (much bigger, you'll see why during Minmay's description of the harvest yield in the next chapter).
Old 2016-04-27, 09:53   Link #391
ndiezel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseah View Post
I'll mention it in the Cato's Notes then. Perhaps more emphasis in the Cel Inci this year being massively different from last year's (much bigger, you'll see why during Minmay's description of the harvest yield in the next chapter).
You see, that's the problem. The only way to know how much time passed is by reading Cato's Notes where he write for how long is he in this world. I can do math, but I'm not always sure and looking into previous chapters is a pain in the ass.
ndiezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-27, 11:46   Link #392
Namorax

Maybe just a small scene where Cato/Moray just goes "Huh, as it really been x years/months" since I landed in this world?"

People who like to think can still try to guess how long every part of the story roughly took, and the lazy ones get a tallymark. Everyone is on the same level and the story can go on like before.
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 03:21   Link #393
El Rue
Otherworld Wanderer

Little error? "They were tied up in a ponytail anymore" > should it be "weren't"?

Amusing to see them seeing the changes firsthand & being technically anonymous throughout.

My favorite scene though was their little moment in the carriage. A simple, silent yet intimate closeness of sorts.

The two have always been very vocal & outspoken as well as forward & quick to action in just about everything we've seen them do. In that scene, they were just having a little moment as he happily observed her which led to that simple "friendly" physical gesture & 'enjoyed' each others company in silence.
Old 2016-04-28, 05:14   Link #394
Breimn

I wonder whatever could have been written in the missing pages of the notebook lol
"day xyz
sempai finally noticed me"
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 05:22   Link #395
jseah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimn View Post
I wonder whatever could have been written in the missing pages of the notebook lol
"day xyz
sempai finally noticed me"
At the time of writing, I was thinking she hid them because all the circle designs were junk because she's too distracted.

But sure, you can imagine whatever you want, they'll forever remain a mystery. =P

EDIT: also, fixed the error.
Old 2016-04-28, 10:14   Link #396
Tenzen12

Considering Landar was crazy scientist by time when Cato was just run of the mill student, shouldn't it be "Kohai finally noticed me"?

But yeah. when I read it I imagined her notes/drafts turning into chaotic doodles. Stupid distracting Cato!
Old 2016-04-28, 13:36   Link #397
Breimn

New ch out already? I see you like to work yourself to the bone!Thanks for new ch.
edit:->
why do you want to know?"
what
If the knight and now him.
Now idea what you wanted to write so just posted it here without correcting
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 16:13   Link #398
jseah

I might have yapped on a little too much about a Rich People problem. >.>
But well, sudden economic shifts aren't easy to deal with. Even if the origin is an increase in farming efficiency.

Also, I completely forgot to bring up a plot point, so that'll have to go into the Elka chapter I guess.

Fixed the errors.

After some suggestions on the RRL side, I realized I portray Landar and the sweet a bit off from what I wanted (just what I get for writing quickly). Some minor edit there too:
Quote:
Amazingly, Landar took the stick and smiled happily before pocketing it instead of eating the sweet.
Old 2016-04-29, 06:09   Link #399
Tenzen12

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but feel Cato did some big oversight somewhere. For society develope so fast it feel wrong have so little trouble coming with it even if Cato has knowledge from our world history.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2016-04-29 at 08:18.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-29, 07:04   Link #400
El Rue
Otherworld Wanderer

But it did often show that they did have a lot of trouble & obstacles every now & then in research & development. Although they may at times seem quickly gotten around faster than the speed of plot. (like jseah said, like them saying the right questions or just having the right connections or methods & such).

Maybe the lack of properly mentioned dates/timeline really does add confusion to the passage of time. Well, it's understandable with Cato & Landar's parts since R&D has a lot of repetitive boring parts that needed to be skipped.

Tags
alternate universe, harem, scientific magic, web novel