AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-28, 13:41   Link #61
cyth
Banned

Nothing has been said about the production being cancelled. It's best if we wait for an official word on the subject.
Old 2008-08-28, 14:37   Link #62
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

All traces are removed (presumably) as if it doesn't exist anymore and yet the production continues?
Canceled maybe not, but it's most likely not on schedule anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Kyoto Animation should concentrate on animating bishoujo games, shounen (boy's) light novels, and male oriented moe 4-panel manga :P
You have my vote.

I don't want to see them become a jack of all trades. That's a one way street to crapiness.
They should stick to what they do best and go with that.
Old 2008-08-28, 14:52   Link #63
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I don't want to see them become a jack of all trades. That's a one way street to crapiness.
They should stick to what they do best and go with that.
I don't understand this point of view. They should keep doing what they're best at? Then I suppose you are truly wishing for KyoAni to eventually die after they're done animating Little Busters in a few years, because there'll be about nothing left to do.

People (including me) were delighted that the studio was making an effort to appeal to new audiences by trying their hands at something new, and certain others are just happy because their image of the studio won't be ruined. I feel that's fairly rude... especially when we haven't even seen a glimpse of what their adaptation of 801-chan could be like, which could even be enjoyable to you.

(If this posts sounds like I'm mad, blame it on the idea of the series being cancelled, even though nothing's official...)
Old 2008-08-28, 15:01   Link #64
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

They don't feel like moving forward as your post suggest.
To me they're just moving back and doing something different.

Would this series really be the next good thing?
I can't help feel the premise of the show is like a parody for past works.

(these are just my thoughts)
Old 2008-08-28, 15:08   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Skepticism glassed PUT ON! There we go. I would prefer to wait until Kyoani comes to answer to the public in an official statement, which by all rights should come later today, tomorrow or this week. While it's generally not good practice to announce a series only to cancel it this soon, there could be alternative reasons beyond their control.

Of course the major theory is probably that they cowed to Haruhi fans and decided that they need to get that show out quicker and 801-chan was just pushing it back, but it would be just that. A theory. I could come up with a theory that they might have done something to void the licence or that it's yet again one of their viral marketing campaigns but it would also just be a theory. So official announcement pending and we're waiting.....

By the way, count me in the group that wants to see Kyoani try something not Moe/Otaku related. Although I don't believe that Tonari no 801-chan could be considered branching off in another direction.
Old 2008-08-28, 20:30   Link #66
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Actually I want more FMP, Planetarian, Lucky Star and Little Busters. And if they can talk Visual Arts/Key into a Kanon OVA with Ayu and Yuiichi getting married , you can count me in as one of the R2 LE buyers.

This wasn't exactly a sterling example of a title that was going to be a hit in R2 and R1. I don't fault them for cashing in their chips now instead of losing money later.

Oh well, we just have to wait and see what the official word is.
Old 2008-08-29, 00:10   Link #67
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Ooh, Kyoto Animation doing a Yuri anime, I would be so excited
the idea itself is exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Here's hoping they are just trolling Haruhi fans, giving them a sense of hope. :P
my impression as well.

Anyway, I wasn’t really looking forward to this show anytime soon, even though the premise was a welcomed surprise. The recent events are indeed suspicious, and the possibility that the show might be cancelled or delayed is there. If the issue is not somehow solved between the parties concerned, well, hopefully yaoi-chan will see the light again.
Old 2008-08-29, 00:55   Link #68
domino
デレデレ

I hope the show will still pop up eventually. You can't just... un-announce a show this late into the game, can you? (with a studio, official website, and anime announcements wrapping copies of the manga...)

Or maybe the trouble is on KyoAni's side after all? At this point, I kind of want someone else to animate 801chan just so I won't have to hear KyoAni fans cry about Haruhi this and Haruhi that all day (even though more Haruhi has already been announced..! And even though the combination of 801chan and Chibe-kun's personality of weird-girl and stoic-confused-guy is similar to the Haruhi-Kyon combo, people don't seem to care because they hear the word "yaoi" and run screaming in the other direction). I dislike KyoAni fans just as much as the shows they've made up until now...

I was hoping KyoAni would broaden their horizons beyond the moe junk, but I guess maybe they're hopeless after all.
Old 2008-08-29, 04:20   Link #69
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Nothing has been said about the production being cancelled. It's best if we wait for an official word on the subject.
Here you go: http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/festa/#801c

From moetron: http://www.moetron.com/2008/08/29/to...lly-cancelled/

Old 2008-08-29, 04:40   Link #70
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, this is certainly an interesting development, and i would certainly like to know the reasons behind the decision to cancel it. I can't say the immediate premise seemed all that interesting to me, but never the less i was looking towards KyoAni try their hand at something different in a weird way. Oh well ... if this means it increases my chances of seeing Little Busters animated sooner though, then i am not going to complain much
Old 2008-08-29, 04:58   Link #71
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Well... this sure was something surprising...
Old 2008-08-29, 06:01   Link #72
FireChick

I guess KyoAni needs to focus on more Haruhi and Clannad now?
Old 2008-08-29, 11:08   Link #73
Pachael
原作通り

At least now I've got the excuse to put this up

In despair, the author is
Old 2008-08-29, 11:42   Link #74
usagijen

Know what, I had this silly idea earlier... Thought of whether this "anime announcement - sudden cancellation" is all for the sake of publicity. Without any info given regarding why KyoAni decided this, people would most likely be intrigued and would check out the manga / drama of Tonari no 801-chan to see what it's all about (well that's exactly what happened to me at this time, lol).
Old 2008-08-29, 20:28   Link #75
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I really really am sad. I watched the live action 801-chan over youtube, and despite it's craptacular subs (believe me, that's actually me being nice), I enjoyed it immensely. I would've absolutely loved to experience this in anime form, with proper subs and all.

And c'mon, really now, if you're going to have an otaku girlfriend, chances are she would be more like 801-chan rather than Haruka from the show that bears her name. As such, I find it more interesting just from that alone lol

But hey, KyoAni before cancelled the second season of Haruhi (true, no one believed them because everybody thought it was a sorts of viral marketiing). So if it can happen to Haruhi, might have a small chance of happening to 801-chan. Hopefully...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-08-30, 07:10   Link #76
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I really really am sad. I watched the live action 801-chan over youtube, and despite it's craptacular subs (believe me, that's actually me being nice), I enjoyed it immensely. I would've absolutely loved to experience this in anime form, with proper subs and all.
Indeed you are very nice
Ooookkey this probably means I've just to give up on Kyoto Animation or be doomed to watch Clannad and such for the rest of my life. Let's wait and see, either way I'm not happy at all (maybe a different broadcaster will get the project, off course if TBS wasn't the producer).
Old 2008-08-30, 11:20   Link #77
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
Indeed you are very nice
Ooookkey this probably means I've just to give up on Kyoto Animation or be doomed to watch Clannad and such for the rest of my life. Let's wait and see, either way I'm not happy at all (maybe a different broadcaster will get the project, off course if TBS wasn't the producer).
There are worse things to be "doomed" to doing. Kanon, Air, Clannad, FMP, Haruhi, Lucky Star seems to be pretty decent "punishment" to me. Add in Planetarian and Little Busters! and you're practically at a resort.
Old 2008-08-30, 12:01   Link #78
Woland
Latin Rascal

Resort? More like an haunted house. Fmp, well is still ad unfinished project with not guarantees of a sequel not to mention a full adaptation of the remaining novels. And as much as I like haruhi I just can't understand hoe Kadokawa is handling the project (nor I'm too happy of how the novel is developing, but the second season at least should be fine). Not all people are willing to swallow only visual novel adaptation and similar (not that I didn't tried, but I'm not good those delusional settings) that's why I simply have to give up on this silly hope of me to see Kyoto Animation work on something different (different, not necessarily better, Tonari no 801-cha was a small step).
Old 2008-08-30, 12:11   Link #79
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

^ You know, i am pretty much fond of all KyoAni works up to now, but i would argue that FMP and Haruhi has much more "delusional setting" compared to things like Air, Clannad or Kanon.

All that really is is an empty statement that sounds good when you want to criticize something, because on the surface it looks passable without the need for immediate elaboration, but doesn't actually say anything in the end, other than stating one's preference. All the titles contain elements which are "impossible" to meet in real world, so it isn't like any of the shows aim for "realism" in the first place with their setting. Its the story they weave with their settings; the emotions and appreciation said stories can evoke that matter in the end. Of course everyone has different things they enjoy, and that is fine and how it should be, seeing we are all different individuals, but just because we don't enjoy some particular things does not mean they are bad by default. They are simply not for us, but that is not the fault of the story in question.
Old 2008-08-30, 14:05   Link #80
Woland
Latin Rascal

Sorry my bad, as you can guess my English is quit bad. For delusional setting I mean mostly the love/relationship-story aspect more than the background elements (and I know FMP and SH are not much better in those aspect) and which I usually find quite forced and dull for my taste. But that's how a visual novel work (I was not talking specifically about Kyoani).

Quote:
They are simply not for us, but that is not the fault of the story in question
That was my point, really, that's why I wrote "different" and not "better".
Closed Thread

Tags
4-koma, fujoshi