AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-17, 10:45   Link #1581
Dr. Akagi

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the whole Erika conundrum can be solved rather easily if we assume that Erika is not Bern’s piece, but instead she is her furniture (which is more or less the essence of what Renall is suggesting), i.e.:

- Erika has the same status as Beato’s furniture of the core arks (Virgilia, Gaap etc.);
- there is no such thing as piece-Erika and meta-Erika since under this assumption Erika is 100 % meta (or at least should be considered ‘meta’ for lack of better term in the same way as, say, Ronove is 100 % meta); this, however, does not stop Erika from visiting the game board if, and when, her master (Bern) sees fit (in the same way as Beato’s furniture is occasionally used as a stand-in (or, if you will, a “black box”) for what’s really happening in the core arks);
- the real piece-Erika (to whom the meta-Erika we know corresponds to [in the same way as Ronove corresponds to piece-Genji, Virgilia to piece-Kumasawa and Gaap to piece-Nanjo]) is the body of the dead girl floating somewhere in the Sea of Japan or wherever, meaning Erika shouldn’t in any way influence the head count for the human pieces on Rokkenjima.

2 things make “Erika” especially poisonous:

1) she herself seems unaware of her real status (i.e. she is acting as a piece (=human), at least in Ep5, but maybe she was intentionally created that way by Bern);
2) she doesn’t look like a “magic” creature at all (she’s no ass nee-chan for sure), which is why her antics are taken seriously by everyone except Battler.

And, of course, there is a lot of Erika in ep 5 and 6, which, for starters, means that there is no reliable POV in Ep 5 at all. That is a dirty trick indeed.

I don’t see any problems with this interpretation; of course we have to explain everything “Erika” did in Ep5 and 6 with someone or something else, but wasn’t that part of the proceedings all along since the “magic” stuff started to pop up in Ep 2? The killings attributed to her can be explained with the real culprit, her seal placement has already been satisfactorily explained by Renall, some other stuff she did can be explained with Erika ball etc. I mean it’s hard, but it can be done.

Death and its implications as viewed by the Umineko No Naku Koro Ni characters.
Old 2010-02-17, 12:21   Link #1582
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I think it was stated tons of times that the parlor scene was a replay, the one who sees it is Battler not Erika, and it is confirmed that Battler isn't the detective in EP5.
It's also been stated tons of times that Erika should have noticed or said something if Kanon and Shannon were the same person and were never seen together.

"In other words, the number of people in this parlor now is equal to the total number of people on this island." - if Erika was a person and, as the red text requires, in the parlor, she had to have seen both of them or noticed that one of them was missing. Why would the ruthless Witch of Truth ignore such an important detail? Especially if she could've prevented her own death with that detail?

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
Old 2010-02-17, 13:14   Link #1583
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

@Akagi

The problem is that so far there has never been a red including pure furnitures in them. Even if we consider Kanon and Shannon furniture (which is on of the shkannon theory interpretation) there is still a physical body involved.

There are basically two conflicting facts

the first is the red that states that Erika increases the number of the people by one. This "somehow" can be solved if you claim that Erika is a dead body that drifted ashore to the island. (you need to use a dirty trick where the very same word can mean "every body dead or alive" in one instance and "living body" in another instance)

the second is the fact that Erika is said to do a lot of things in red, which a dead body could never do.

This leads to two conflicting interpretations:
1) Erika doesn't exist at all, she's a metacharacter that works as detective in the story
2) Erika is actually one of the existing pieces in the gameboard that metaerika is using.

The only way to make "sense" out of this is to say. Okay for what concerns this red Erika is dead corpse, and for what concerns this red Erika is just an metaexistent detective, and for what concerns this red she is person X, and for what concerns this red she is person Y.

I am not going to accept this. You need to make up your mind and tell me what Erika actually is when she is mentioned in red.

Also Akagi lately we've discussing about a problem with the assumption that Erika really doesn't exist. And what I'm trying to say that with such a perspective then the Erika piece can only be either Jessica or Genji.

Renal is telling me that there is no "Erika piece" outside the closed rooms at the time of the sealing, but that makes no sense, because in that case Erika couldn't do any of the actions she did later, the more blatantly obvious is fixing the chainlock.

However if a piece erika exists outside the closed rooms at the time of the sealing then that piece can only be Jessica or Genji. I hoped we could agree at least on that... but I guess it's asking too much.

@The rogue

That's correct, but it is actually Bern who is watching that scene, not Erika.
I don't like it that much, so maybe there is another explanation, but the theory that Erika doesn't exist requires to think Bern knows about that and she keep silent.
So it is possible to use the same logic to say Bern knows that Shannon and Kanon are the same person but she doesn't say anything to Erika. When Erika was in the parlor she didn't see both Shannon and Kanon and neither she saw the red about all the people being inside the parlor. Those are things that only Battler, Bern and Lambda have seen later.

As I said I don't really like it, because I don't see why Bern would keep secrets from Erika, but the two theories go even on that.

Old 2010-02-17, 14:41   Link #1584
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
At least it is still something you can tie with the real world. While a personality isn't something tangible, it is still something that can be "experienced" in the world. Not to mention that there is a flesh and blood body that can be called Kanon. "kanon" can actually be seen in the gameboard.
But what Renal is suggesting is something that can't be seen or touched or even perceived by anyone that isn't in the metaworld.
It's still wholly imaginary and can be described in red. Red can also be used to describe Meta-Beatrice's death which, I think we can all agree, has nothing whatsoever to do with the plot arc of whoever is "Beatrice" beyond origin and theme. So yes, red can describe a fictional construct just fine.
Quote:
You made it long but this has a quite easy explanation. There is a timespan where Erika was totally alone. That's when she killed everyone. Before meeting with the rest in the guesthouse she might have placed the seal in the cousin's room window and the room next to it.

I think you are forgetting that everyone went according to Erika's plan, and therefore it's not like it was decided later where they would hole up. They simply agreed to Erika's suggestion.
That seems unreasonable. She put everyone in the rooms, confirmed everyone's locations, left, got the letter, and only then went and sealed everybody up? That leaves a huge hole. And nobody saw or heard her outside. Yeah, that's much more logical than Battler just permitting Dlanor to make an assurance of seal integrity which he agreed not to violate.
Quote:
Dlanor is Erika's furniture, it works the same as with Maria and Sakutaro, or Ange and Mammon. In that case it's the person herself that is "lying" to herself. But Battler the GM cannot lie to Erika the detective. That wouldn't be fair. Again I'll have you to remind you how much Battler wanted this fight to be fair. It just doesn't make any sense that from one side he's pissed off at Bern because she doesn't let Erika use her authority and then he blatantly shows Erika fake scenes in front of her piece, even though that never happened to him when he was playing against Beatrice.
Dlanor is quite a delusion if Battler can see and swordfight her in the study in ep5. Erika's got quite an imagination.
Quote:
That's why this kind of reasoning completely fails once you get to the chainlock.

1) We have a scene that confirms that the duct tape in this game is "no good"
2) Then we have a scene were Battler changes something in the game and that allow Erika to use a working duct tape to seal 3 rooms.

If it is, as you say, that Battler didn't really let Erika seal rooms with a real duct tape. Then he never changed the non working duct tape. The seals are just "imaginary", they are not physical objects.
But that reasoning can't possibly work with a chainlock. Erika could have not fixed it with an imaginary seal. Therefore the duct tape must exist and it must be the right one, else Battler could have simply detached it and reattached it after exiting.
Your logic is quite poor. The seals are no good for sealing external doors and windows because they won't stick well enough in the rain and whatnot. To "properly" seal a room, she needs to be able to seal everywhere, so if the tape isn't good enough for that it's no good at all.

The chain lock does not have this problem. It's not that hard to repair a chain with duct tape. It's not like Battler decreed tape isn't sticky at all. And it doesn't matter, because the room was one of the three Battler agreed she could choose to seal. So the room was verified sealed even if no physical act had been tkaen. You're right that Battler could have simply detached and reattached it were it not physical, but as GM he agreed that he would not do that. He merely thought that once the seal was broken it didn't count anymore; Erika noted she could re-seal the room and that she did so.

As to the tape itself, I don't know who really did that.
Quote:
I think it was stated tons of times that the parlor scene was a replay, the one who sees it is Battler not Erika, and it is confirmed that Battler isn't the detective in EP5.
That's a lame dodge and you know it. The analogy is very relevant.
Quote:
I don't think this explains how is it possible that everyone is in the same room, you have merely "explained" how it is not possible that Erika is outside.
Well that's a bit of a problem already then...
Quote:
Now let me reiterate again my first point: In the neighboring room only "Shannon, Kumasawa, Hideyoshi, George, Nanjo" are inside at the time of the seal. There is absolutely no one else. I require you to explain my how this can be different if you disagree.
I don't disagree. Only those people are inside that room. I never said otherwise. Erika was in there, however, before the room was sealed. I'm just saying "Erika" could have been somebody else who was in the room and talked to Hideyoshi and left. Whoever it was wasn't one of those five people and wasn't in the room at the time it was sealed. No objections there.
Quote:
As for the second point. I take it that you don't accept the obvious possibility that it goes without saying that "everyone else" doesn't include Erika by default.
I would accept that if it were in regular text, but it was in red. "Everyone else" means what it says. There's clearly a loophole, somehow, but I am instantly suspicious that Erika's position was not accounted for. It's possible Ryukishi merely forgot on the assumption that it would be self-evident where Erika was. But if Erika's existence is in question I think it's relevant to ask why we weren't ever given confirmation of where she was or if she was anywhere at all.
Quote:
Let's say that you are right and that at the time of the sealing the only real persons that can be outside the two rooms and alive are Battler and KinzoKanon.

But here is where I have a problem Renal. If that was true there was no way for Erika to get the letter. There was no way for Erika to go to the guestroom, there was no way for Erika to check every place, there was no way for Erika to fix the chainlock. Are you telling me that all of that is also just imaginary? Even if later it is confirmed in red that a physical Erika entred the room?

Now before you say that "Erika" got out from the window in the neighboring room... If that was the case Battler would have known. Since according to your reconstruction "Erika" had to be closed in a sealed room, obviously a seal must be broken for her to go out. That would have allowed Battler to use 5 people to get out of his closed room. And how stupid would be for Erika to break her own seal?

No I guess you are stuck with ghost-erika to make this work. But that doesn't match with Erika killing 5 people and Erika's body entering the room later.

Please don't tell me something idiotic like: in some cases Erika is actually a piece Erika is controlling and in some other case she's just an imaginary detective with no physical body.
It's funny, you made up three arguments I didn't say and called them all idiotic. Normally we have some kinda back and forth about this sort of thing.

But to take this at face value: We need two people outside the sealed rooms, or we need one or more people to escape a sealed room without breaking a seal. I agree with you that breaking a seal wouldn't work. Or at least shouldn't work.

However, we can get a number of people outside the room with name tomfoolery. And if we accept that "Erika" had to be outside the rooms to seal them (which isn't necessarily true, as I noted, but since we did see Erika standing outside the rooms perhaps someone was indeed outside), that gives us a free person right away with no fuss. Otherwise we need someone who shares a name with someone who isn't where we think they are. There are lots of ways:
  • Someone can be "Kinzo." The location of "Kinzo's" body was intentionally excluded from "everyone else," so Kinzo can be nowhere. EVIDENCE EXISTS: Battler proposed that Kinzo is a title in ep4.
  • Someone can be "Battler." They would have to be in the "guest room" however. I don't know if this means they'd be forced to be in the same room as "our" Battler or not. EVIDENCE EXISTS: There was once another "Ushiromiya Battler."
  • Someone can be "Kyrie," "Rosa," "Natushi," "Eva," or "Maria." In this case they aren't even in a sealed room so they can just leave. You'd have to explain why they didn't leave the room until the time of the sealing without meta-awareness, of course, but it is a possibility. EVIDENCE EXISTS: Kinzo objected to Rosa naming her daughter Maria. This might loosely suggest he valued the name for some other reason.
As to who killed everyone, why can't it have been Kanon? The rescue need not have been intentional, as Beatrice said. And Kanon was unquestionably the rescuer. The obvious inference Beatrice wanted us to make was:

Rescuer may not have intended to rescue.
Kanon was Rescuer.
Thus, Kanon may not have intended to rescue.

Why would he come into the room where Battler's "corpse" was if he wasn't intending to rescue Battler?
Quote:
I guess we have read a different story, because I was under the impression that Battler was quite pissed at Bern because she didn't let Erika maintain her detective privileges, and one of the detective privileges is to have an objective perspective.
I get the sense it was more because he felt sorry for the way she was getting kicked around. The whole point of the ploy was to get Battler to feel sympathetic to Erika and let her seal rooms to force a Logic Error.
Quote:
Again I must ask you if we really read the same story. It was quite apparently shown that this is a viable possibility. Erika asks Battler if he wants to take back the move he just made about the letter, and Battler for a while thinks about that.
This means that it is quite possible for the GM to go back on his moves. Of course since this was something that was already presented to the detective, Battler couldn't do that without letting Erika know, that's why Erika gives her permission.
He didn't actually take any move back.
Quote:
The point is that you cannot show fake scenes to the detective.
So then you acknowledge that both Shannon and Kanon were in the parlor in ep5 and renounce Shkanon?
Old 2010-02-17, 16:41   Link #1585
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
@The rogue

That's correct, but it is actually Bern who is watching that scene, not Erika.
I don't like it that much, so maybe there is another explanation, but the theory that Erika doesn't exist requires to think Bern knows about that and she keep silent.
So it is possible to use the same logic to say Bern knows that Shannon and Kanon are the same person but she doesn't say anything to Erika. When Erika was in the parlor she didn't see both Shannon and Kanon and neither she saw the red about all the people being inside the parlor. Those are things that only Battler, Bern and Lambda have seen later.

As I said I don't really like it, because I don't see why Bern would keep secrets from Erika, but the two theories go even on that.
What I was trying to say was that Erika is in the parlor by the red if she exists, therefore no matter what Bern was saying she should've noticed the person count.

And yeah, Bern lying to Erika doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I think I get what you meant. Again, that still doesn't make too much sense to me - she still should've noticed that there are supposedly two teenage servants and one of them was missing at that time, regardless of knowledge of the red.

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
Old 2010-02-17, 19:36   Link #1586
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I don't know, being needlessly cruel to a person she's barely met and claims to be an ally of seems pretty Bern-esque to me.
Old 2010-02-17, 20:05   Link #1587
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

More summaries. Wherein: rooms are closed, opened, and re-closed, Lambda reveals hidden depths, and Erika is a psycho.

Spoiler for Chapter 15 summary:
Old 2010-02-17, 21:43   Link #1588
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Man, that red about Battler's incompetence from ep2 has proven the most reliable one in the whole series. He could have easily avoided that entire problem. I'm a tinfoil-chewing moron and I could have gotten out of that.

He also probably should have required that Erika tell him what's she's doing as she does it instead of afterward. Whether you want to call it that or a "retroactive move," it's a pretty dumb thing to permit.
Old 2010-02-17, 21:53   Link #1589
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Man, that red about Battler's incompetence from ep2 has proven the most reliable one in the whole series. He could have easily avoided that entire problem. I'm a tinfoil-chewing moron and I could have gotten out of that.

He also probably should have required that Erika tell him what's she's doing as she does it instead of afterward. Whether you want to call it that or a "retroactive move," it's a pretty dumb thing to permit.
I think she was just abusing the permission he gave earlier to retroactively seal things. Which was pretty stupid in and of itself, but by the time of the logic error there wasn't anything he could have done about it.
Old 2010-02-17, 21:59   Link #1590
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
I think she was just abusing the permission he gave earlier to retroactively seal things. Which was pretty stupid in and of itself, but by the time of the logic error there wasn't anything he could have done about it.
I refer more to killing people before going into the room where Battler was.

All he has to do is have every corpse vanish. To allow Erika to go back and say "Oh yeah before I came in I killed all of them" is a pretty amateurish mistake. Force her to enter at least one of the rooms. If she goes into a "victim's" room either have them vanish or let her get away with one murder, then have everyone else disappear. She can argue they're not really dead but she suspected as much anyway. Once you have people vanished you can accomplish anything. If she goes into Battler's room first, the solution he proposes works fine.

It's basically an insane risk for Battler that really isn't necessary.
Old 2010-02-17, 22:45   Link #1591
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
I refer more to killing people before going into the room where Battler was.

All he has to do is have every corpse vanish. To allow Erika to go back and say "Oh yeah before I came in I killed all of them" is a pretty amateurish mistake. Force her to enter at least one of the rooms. If she goes into a "victim's" room either have them vanish or let her get away with one murder, then have everyone else disappear. She can argue they're not really dead but she suspected as much anyway. Once you have people vanished you can accomplish anything. If she goes into Battler's room first, the solution he proposes works fine.

It's basically an insane risk for Battler that really isn't necessary.
The main problem there is that after Erika toured the crime scenes, when Lambda told Bern that all of the closed rooms were perfect, Bern replied that all of the murders were also perfect. I took that as a big hint that Erika really had committed the murders at that time, and she presented a fake or at least heavily edited account of her actions to Battler. Since she got the red truth of their deaths at that moment, there's no way Battler could have prevented her from announcing it.

It's pretty weird that Erika would have the right to present false scenes to the game master instead of the other way around. On the other hand, there's Knox 9 and Erika's lack of detective status to consider, so I think it might be technically legal (if horribly unfair) under the rules. We've just never had a situation where someone other than the game master was in control of a non-objective piece before.

It feels kind of like an object lesson in why the detective isn't allowed to be the culprit, actually.
Old 2010-02-17, 23:19   Link #1592
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Well, in theory if the detective were the culprit, he or she would be forced to objectively and temporally describe what was going on, including any killings.

Really, it doesn't make an awful lot of sense why this sort of thing was allowed at all. It feels, well, I hesitate to say it, but kind of like the lame trial setup in ep5. Too long-winded and contrived to get a shocking payoff in the meta-world even though by all rights it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 2010-02-17, 23:31   Link #1593
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:

Yeah, basically the entire logic error because once again he got trolled. Even Dlanor said he was stupid to be so fatally fooled. Although I do feel bad about Erika to some extent, because even she knew she was just a pawn of Bern's struggling to live. Her situation is very much like Ange's, only she was aware from the beginning of her position, while Ange only learned about it. But I can't understand how people now hate Erika but a lot of them still favor Bern, who is waaaay worse than Erika.

Of course Erika participating in the killings majorly questions Knox #1 and how the definition of 'the start of the story' is defined. If it means "the start of every new game" then Erika is allowed to be the culprit of EP 6.
Old 2010-02-17, 23:47   Link #1594
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Yeah, basically the entire logic error because once again he got trolled. Even Dlanor said he was stupid to be so fatally fooled. Although I do feel bad about Erika to some extent, because even she knew she was just a pawn of Bern's struggling to live. Her situation is very much like Ange's, only she was aware from the beginning of her position, while Ange only learned about it. But I can't understand how people now hate Erika but a lot of them still favor Bern, who is waaaay worse than Erika.

Of course Erika participating in the killings majorly questions Knox #1 and how the definition of 'the start of the story' is defined. If it means "the start of every new game" then Erika is allowed to be the culprit of EP 6.
And there's a nice fat problem. On the basis of Knox 1, quoth Dlanor:
You cannot name a character who first appeared in the fifth game as the culprit!
Old 2010-02-17, 23:56   Link #1595
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
And there's a nice fat problem. On the basis of Knox 1, quoth Dlanor:
You cannot name a character who first appeared in the fifth game as the culprit!
Wait, is that actually something Dlanor says? If so, then that's basically confirmation that Erika isn't real.
Old 2010-02-17, 23:57   Link #1596
Goldsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Wait, is that actually something Dlanor says? If so, then that's basically confirmation that Erika isn't real.
Not necessarily. Do we have a definition of what "the culprit" even means?
Old 2010-02-18, 00:03   Link #1597
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
Not necessarily. Do we have a definition of what "the culprit" even means?
"A character who is responsible for any of the murders"?

This goes back the argument about the definition of a "corpse" earlier... by conventional logic, what a "culprit" is should be obvious. But then again, Umineko has never been shown to use conventional logic.
Old 2010-02-18, 00:17   Link #1598
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
"A character who is responsible for any of the murders"?

This goes back the argument about the definition of a "corpse" earlier... by conventional logic, what a "culprit" is should be obvious. But then again, Umineko has never been shown to use conventional logic.
In EP6, when Erika requested red that "Krauss, Rudolf, Hideyoshi, and Gohda are not the culprits" of the first twilight, Battler reworded it on the grounds that "culprit" was too vague and would limit his options too much. He actually had to restrict the request to mean only murders. So I think we can safely interpret Knox 7 to mean something like "The detective may not be knowingly responsible for any of the mysteries presented to her."

On the other hand, Natsuhi is not the culprit despite (probably) being behind the whole Kinzo thing. In that case it was clearly referring to a specific crime that definitely occurred though.
Old 2010-02-18, 00:41   Link #1599
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

"Culprit" strikes me as being more general than "killer." A "culprit" doesn't have to kill, but they're somehow involved in the murders (presumably consciously). Still, it's not very well-defined.

Virgilia takes the time to note that Battler both "isn't the culprit" and that he "didn't kill anyone." Of course, that makes sense; it's possible to be the culprit without killing (a mastermind) and it's possible to be a killer without being the culprit (accident, self-defense).
Old 2010-02-18, 00:51   Link #1600
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
So I think we can safely interpret Knox 7 to mean something like "The detective may not be knowingly responsible for any of the mysteries presented to her."
Quote:
it's possible to be a killer without being the culprit (accident, self-defense).
Erika neither causes an accident nor kills in self-defense... she knowingly decapitates people. I'd think that'd qualify her as a "culprit", which should be impossible under Knox 1.
Closed Thread