AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 21 30.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 33.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 23.53%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 7.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-27, 08:19   Link #81
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
That sounds entirely possible. I mean even if she was literally sick she could still say who the killer was and let them figure out the story from there. But doe sound like she had no choice in anything. Forced to write, forced to write their topic, and forced to make it a movie. I think seeing their first draft of the movie could have made her snap. She put all that effort into writing something she didn't even want to and they still screwed up so many elements of it. Wouldn't be surprised if she just said "I'm done, finish it yourselves."
Exactly... I'm sure she was like how Eba has described her however with the weight of the task and this much objection would likely make anyone rage quit.

My guess now then is that....

Spoiler for theory:

Well that's my theory.
Old 2012-06-29, 19:00   Link #82
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

I loved this episode.

The whole camera-man solution seemed iffy, so I'm really glad it's not considered the actual solution.

Also, Mayaka seems to be also quite cunning, first noted by Satoshi, and then near the end of the episode.

I don't really know what Chitanda was on about at the end, at first I thought she was going to do a love confession or something.

Also, Irisu!!

I'm going to be sad if she doesn't appear again after this arc..
Old 2012-06-30, 00:55   Link #83
Vena
Carpe Diem

Week by week, I've been getting more and more into this show, and this episode (and promises for the next) have really pulled me in.

Excellent episode.
Old 2012-06-30, 07:45   Link #84
Cipher

I'm ready for the next mystery. I can't find adequate reasons and evidence for my theory from last 2 eps(+rope), but I still support it over others. That is, glasses boy + chose geography + (strange position when summoned + trapdoor(cuts hand somehow, since boy is weak and needs mechanical assistance) + rope + glass)

I don't know why you guys think Irisu is manipulative. I think she's straightforward and approved Houtarou's theory honestly though mistakenly.

Oh yeah, cameraman theory with actors looking at camera for recognition seems iffy. High school film means bad actors means faulty eye focus.

Last edited by Cipher; 2012-06-30 at 07:59.
Old 2012-06-30, 08:52   Link #85
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I'm ready for the next mystery. I can't find adequate reasons and evidence for my theory from last 2 eps(+rope), but I still support it over others. That is, glasses boy + chose geography + (strange position when summoned + trapdoor(cuts hand somehow, since boy is weak and needs mechanical assistance) + rope + glass)

I don't know why you guys think Irisu is manipulative. I think she's straightforward and approved Houtarou's theory honestly though mistakenly.

Oh yeah, cameraman theory with actors looking at camera for recognition seems iffy. High school film means bad actors means faulty eye focus.
There is no trap door. There once was a wall save and its door fell off and is now resting on the floor. The novel has btw also not mentioned a trapdoor so its not there.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2012-06-30, 13:38   Link #86
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Do we really have to go over this again? One last time. Irisu only wanted Houtarou to be involved, but to get him involved, she manipulated Eru into getting the whole Classics Club involved, which would bring Houtarou along in tow. That was not straightforward. Being straightforward would have been more like asking Eru if she would ask Houtarou if he would help out the class with their movie problem. Thank you but the whole Classics Club is not needed, just that man.
Old 2012-06-30, 18:43   Link #87
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Do we really have to go over this again? One last time. Irisu only wanted Houtarou to be involved, but to get him involved, she manipulated Eru into getting the whole Classics Club involved, which would bring Houtarou along in tow. That was not straightforward. Being straightforward would have been more like asking Eru if she would ask Houtarou if he would help out the class with their movie problem. Thank you but the whole Classics Club is not needed, just that man.
Not to mention playing to his ego with the constant "you are special" stuff. Could even read into it manipulating the issues Houtarou seems to have with his self-worth. There was nothing straight forward about how Irisu went about this other than asking him out to tea . She manipulated the club and Houtarou himself to get the answers she needed to finish the movie. Can debate a lot of things in regards to her motives and morals, but the fact that manipulation happened doesn't seem to be debatable here.
Old 2012-06-30, 22:21   Link #88
Cipher

My comprehension of "manipulative" is that it is subtle. Was it not glaringly obvious, even for the classics members themselves, that when Irisu asked them to find the culprit in the film that she was actually asking Houtarou primarily? They know, from all past mysteries, who was solving the mystery. Houtarou's identity is pretty much already the equivalent of mystery-solver. Also, my comment was directed at the idea that Irisu was setting Houtarou for failure when she recognized his theory. I think she just mistakenly but honestly believed Houtarou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
There is no trap door. There once was a wall save and its door fell off and is now resting on the floor. The novel has btw also not mentioned a trapdoor so its not there.
Any chance that the novel and the anime have different stories? If not, then I rest my case.
Old 2012-06-30, 22:56   Link #89
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
My comprehension of "manipulative" is that it is subtle.
From the Oxford on-line dictionary:

manipulative:

"characterized by unscrupulous control of a situation or person: she was sly, selfish, and manipulative"

I think that this fits Irisu to a tee, especially the "unscrupulous control" bit. From the same dictionary:

unscrupulous:

"having or showing no moral principles; not honest or fair."

Nope. Nothing at all to do with subtlety.

Quote:
Was it not glaringly obvious, even for the classics members themselves, that when Irisu asked them to find the culprit in the film that she was actually asking Houtarou primarily?
But she did not start off by asking them to find the culprit in the film. At first, she invited [manipulated] Eru and the whole Classics Club to a screening to give their opinion of a movie that class 2-F was making. She was not upfront and straight forward with Eru, just using [manipulating] her to get the brainiac there. She obviously didn't tell Eru the whole story, otherwise why not simply ask her, in a non-manipulative way, to ask the brainiac to come alone? It may have been obvious right from the start for you, though there was no mention as to why she wanted them to screen the movie until after they had done so.

Really, if all she wanted was the brainiac's opinion, why involve the whole Classics Club to begin with? If she had really been straight forward, the very least she could have done was to tell Eru that she wanted the brainiac's opinion on the movie, and ask her if she could bring him to a screening.
Old 2012-06-30, 23:28   Link #90
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that Irisu's "manipulative" nature is getting blown a bit out of proportion.

It's not like she swindled Oreki out of money, or talked him into doing things that would typically be against his moral beliefs and/or harmful to others.

She just went through the Classics Club to cajole Oreki into helping her in a way that had no more impact on him than costing him a few hours of free-time. (I think that "cajole" is a more accurate term for it than "manipulate")

And did the rest of the Classics Club show any actual displeasure over being "used" like this? Eru and Satoshi certainly seemed to enjoy themselves (Satoshi was eager to hear Oreki's theory on who the murderer was). And Mayaka seemed interested at least.

We're talking about a student leader who talked some other students into helping with a school project. That's it. It's no big deal.

Compared to what goes on in the world of politics on a daily basis, this is rather innocent to say the least...

Edit: Besides, if she hadn't gone through the Classics Club to get to Oreki, don't you think the rest of the club would have felt snubbed and/or left out? I know that this is how I would have felt if I was in their shoes. In my opinion, it was to their benefit that Irisu went through them to get to Oreki.
Old 2012-07-01, 01:54   Link #91
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

But what she did is manipulating. I don't think anyone implies that she was ill-meaning, but she manipulated Eru at least. Classic club is not a volunteering club. Sure they might enjoy doing it (though Houtarou clearly doesn't, at least in the beginning), but that does not mean Irisu is doing them a favor by giving them a job. The "cajoling" (this is the first time I've see the word in my life, admittingly) only happened briefly in the beginning of this episode, and it actually didn't work per se. She had to "pressure" him by saying that he was making fun of those without his talent if he say he's lucky. Moreover, she implies that all of their hard work going to waste will be his fault, at least partially, if he did not help because no one else could.

She does not have to left out the rest of the club either. What she should do if she's honest is to tell Eru "Hey, I heard the guy named Oreki in your club is good at solving mysteries. Would you mind pursuing him to help us? Or you could bring him to watch the movie. BTW, the rest of the club can come along too!" But no, what she did is taking advantage of the fact that Eru is a curiosity monster, tell her that you can come and watch the preview. Oh, by the way, why don't you bring, say, three friends along?

It looks fine because the club doesn't really hate it, but what if they don't like it? Time can be expensive. What if they're so busy with getting the draft of "Hyouka" anthology on time and now they have to deal with this? I believe that what she was afraid of actually. Every club is probably busy at this point before the cultural festival, so instead of asking honestly, she decide to pull a trick.

I don't think anyone here trying to say she's a bad person. Well, at least I don't, but the way she does things is manipulative.
Old 2012-07-01, 02:42   Link #92
Skane
Anime Snark

A person being manipulative doesn't automatically mean said person is "bad" or "evil". Batman is pretty much "Manipulation Personified" and the vast majority agrees that he is all kinds of awesome and a good man. Manipulation is a tool, it has no inherent alignment.

Cheers.
Old 2012-07-01, 09:23   Link #93
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Really, if all she wanted was the brainiac's opinion, why involve the whole Classics Club to begin with? If she had really been straight forward, the very least she could have done was to tell Eru that she wanted the brainiac's opinion on the movie, and ask her if she could bring him to a screening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
She does not have to left out the rest of the club either. What she should do if she's honest is to tell Eru "Hey, I heard the guy named Oreki in your club is good at solving mysteries. Would you mind pursuing him to help us? Or you could bring him to watch the movie. BTW, the rest of the club can come along too!" But no, what she did is taking advantage of the fact that Eru is a curiosity monster, tell her that you can come and watch the preview. Oh, by the way, why don't you bring, say, three friends along?

It looks fine because the club doesn't really hate it, but what if they don't like it? Time can be expensive. What if they're so busy with getting the draft of "Hyouka" anthology on time and now they have to deal with this? I believe that what she was afraid of actually. Every club is probably busy at this point before the cultural festival, so instead of asking honestly, she decide to pull a trick.

I don't think anyone here trying to say she's a bad person. Well, at least I don't, but the way she does things is manipulative.
you guys...I'm pretty sure Irisu is informed about Houtarou's uneager attitude. If she approached Houtarou directly, she knows she'll receive a blatant "no." It's also smoother this way because their relationship is formal (from one club to another), which is less awkward than a stranger asking help from another stranger.
Old 2012-07-01, 09:28   Link #94
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
you guys...I'm pretty sure Irisu is informed about Houtarou's uneager attitude. If she approached Houtarou directly, she knows she'll receive a blatant "no." It's also smoother this way because their relationship is formal (from one club to another), which is less awkward than a stranger asking help from another stranger.
So, are you now admitting that Irisu is manipulative?
Old 2012-07-01, 12:12   Link #95
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Yep, she knows the honest way won't work, or at least she does not think it'll work, or she think it's too risky, etc. So instead, she manipulated them.
Closed Thread