Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-22, 08:43   Link #16701
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
How know ? And if they start a new Middle-Age ( just one with modern firearm ) ?
But there are no Turks, Mongols, etc to kill.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-09-22, 09:45   Link #16702
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
But there are no Turks, Mongols, etc to kill.
Don't worry, they would find anothers enemies or they could also shoot each others.
Old 2011-09-22, 10:08   Link #16703
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I love it when my portfolio drops 4% in one day when nothing has changed except for the Fed grumbling something that everyone already knew... lazy ass institutional investors asleep at the wheel and twitching.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/bu...er=rss&emc=rss
Old 2011-09-22, 10:17   Link #16704
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I love it when my portfolio drops 4% in one day when nothing has changed except for the Fed grumbling something that everyone already knew... lazy ass institutional investors asleep at the wheel and twitching.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/bu...er=rss&emc=rss
Only 4%? Not bad. It drops 9% just from someone in the Fed sneezes.
Old 2011-09-22, 10:28   Link #16705
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Only 4%? Not bad. It drops 9% just from someone in the Fed sneezes.
Well... its still down nearly 40% from 2006, so each grumble and sneeze just piles on top. People 10 years older than me (like my aunt and uncle) have had their retirement plans ripped away because they can't wait 20 years for a recovery. But hey, the top .01% of the US is doing just fine and making huge profits at the expense of the rest of us they gamble, we get chained with the consequences.
Old 2011-09-22, 10:47   Link #16706
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Hmm... mine dropped around 4 per cent today as well. And, no, I'm not perturbed, because it's nothing compared to the shock I had last month, when it dropped all of 20 per cent in just two weeks.

That said, this could be yet another opportunity to fish in troubled waters. I'm still bleeding red, but I did manage to ameliorate the damage by the end of August with some lucky buys. It has otherwise been a turbulent September. Best to hold cash and wait out the storm.
Old 2011-09-22, 11:39   Link #16707
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

You guys aren't the only ones grumbling - anyone invested in US (including fund managers, remisers and bank workers) are pretty annoyed at how the government is playing the chicken-duck game while Wall Street is getting ready to fry them.

IMO, wait it out till mid-October. Though I feel that Santa may not be so generous to traders/investors this year.

Quote:
Well... its still down nearly 40% from 2006, so each grumble and sneeze just piles on top. People 10 years older than me (like my aunt and uncle) have had their retirement plans ripped away because they can't wait 20 years for a recovery. But hey, the top .01% of the US is doing just fine and making huge profits at the expense of the rest of us they gamble, we get chained with the consequences.
Play the same game of "bare-handed hot potato ping-pong". Buy-sell as fast as you can respond - maybe you have more energy than I do since I am so tired from work that I can't even respond at the position I want.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-09-22, 12:17   Link #16708
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
You guys aren't the only ones grumbling - anyone invested in US (including fund managers, remisers and bank workers) are pretty annoyed at how the government is playing the chicken-duck game while Wall Street is getting ready to fry them.

IMO, wait it out till mid-October. Though I feel that Santa may not be so generous to traders/investors this year.

Play the same game of "bare-handed hot potato ping-pong". Buy-sell as fast as you can respond - maybe you have more energy than I do since I am so tired from work that I can't even respond at the position I want.
The problem comes when I (as an individual investor) don't have access to the kinds of information and micro-second transactions that the large institutions have. My favorite is "stocks close at 75 quatloos" and the next morning "stocks OPEN at 45 quatloos". Not open-at-75-and-drop-to-45 or it probably did but the drop took all of .01 seconds.

Mutual funds are supposed to be the solution for schmucks like me... but they just seem to be able to bleed more slowly. I should have kept my Canadian (1:.75) and Japanese (1:120) money piles and moved stocks to currency speculation during the Bush administration, meh.
Old 2011-09-22, 12:20   Link #16709
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I was unaware that the Providers instituted the quatloo into the open market.
That shows there "hand" so to speak.
Old 2011-09-22, 12:22   Link #16710
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I was unaware that the Providers instituted the quatloo into the open market.
That shows there "hand" so to speak.
Okay, thrall, back to work
Old 2011-09-22, 12:53   Link #16711
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
The problem comes when I (as an individual investor) don't have access to the kinds of information and micro-second transactions that the large institutions have. My favorite is "stocks close at 75 quatloos" and the next morning "stocks OPEN at 45 quatloos". Not open-at-75-and-drop-to-45 or it probably did but the drop took all of .01 seconds.

Mutual funds are supposed to be the solution for schmucks like me... but they just seem to be able to bleed more slowly. I should have kept my Canadian (1:.75) and Japanese (1:120) money piles and moved stocks to currency speculation during the Bush administration, meh.
According to this chart,

We are at the market top because everyone just went for energy this year, following the Fukushima and Libya crisis. I am pretty fearful that there might be a double-dip recession following the 2008 meltdown, so maybe next year it is another good time to buy the heck up.

Then again, this idea of sector rotation is more often used for trading rather than investing, so you might want to take whatever I wrote with tons of salt.

Bernanke thinks he can hold the market cycle by keeping the interest rates low for a long time, but the market cycle still continues. With so much hot money flowing around, the next bottom is going to be so much lower.

Before anyone here touches the "buy" button, I would recommend looking at this to determine where you are. Maybe me working 12h/6D to keep my off my paper account for the past 2 months is some kind of blessing in disguise.

Old 2011-09-22, 13:23   Link #16712
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:

Surely the best solution is to buy a bunch of decent stocks, that will have a good long term return year on year (5-10% and above would be good) and just sit on them. Keep an eye on the businesses, and if you see they have problems, minimise your exposure. A day to day loss of 4% isn't particularly important when you know the fundamentals of a business is sound.

Buying and selling loads of stocks is just a fast way to stack up underwriting fees.

That said, I haven't invested before, due to not having the cash to do it, so perhaps I'm missing something.
Old 2011-09-22, 13:28   Link #16713
solomon

So I'm a noob, is it really necessary to have stock options and all that to live a good life in the states......

Cause to me it seems like nothing more sure than Vegas at this point. If I can't trust banks with my money why should I trust Wall Street?
Old 2011-09-22, 13:37   Link #16714
solomon

Also rather surprised this hasn't been mentioned today...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15013860

I mean I was was surprised myself when the Troy Davis case was being reported on FRANCE 24 in the morning.

Black talk radio has been going on about it for months. I don't regularly listen to it, but my mom says there has been a real stink about the case especially in the last few weeks.

Me? I'm not 100% anti death penalty, but the entire thing seems real fishy to me.......also I am more magnanimous than others but it's hard not think that race played a part in it....
Old 2011-09-22, 13:54   Link #16715
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
That said, I haven't invested before, due to not having the cash to do it, so perhaps I'm missing something.
Day trading.

Quote:
Though I feel that Santa may not be so generous to traders/investors this year.
The rest of this year is probably toast, though we won't know for certain until third-quarter results start coming out in the next few weeks to a month. Certain tech stocks might actually be worth looking into — those that deal with servers and enterprise services, for example, IBM.

Quote:
Bernanke thinks he can hold the market cycle by keeping the interest rates low for a long time, but the market cycle still continues. With so much hot money flowing around, the next bottom is going to be so much lower.
The market will fix itself, if the Fed can fix stubborn unemployment, which is what the latest "twist" is supposed to be about.

I'm not crossing my fingers.
Old 2011-09-22, 13:57   Link #16716
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Also rather surprised this hasn't been mentioned today...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15013860

I mean I was was surprised myself when the Troy Davis case was being reported on FRANCE 24 in the morning.

Black talk radio has been going on about it for months. I don't regularly listen to it, but my mom says there has been a real stink about the case especially in the last few weeks.

Me? I'm not 100% anti death penalty, but the entire thing seems real fishy to me.......also I am more magnanimous than others but it's hard not think that race played a part in it....
That was a tragic disaster ... and it was clearly more important to the judiciary that judicial process memes not be challenged than a quite likely innocent man not die. The law enforcement and prosecution screwed with the evidence and testimony so badly that I'm still just kind of astounded it got this far.

I'm not against the death penalty per se, but I'm reaching the position that our authorities are intrinsically *incompetent* (or malevolently prejudicial) in getting the right perpetrators so I can't support it anymore.
Old 2011-09-22, 14:19   Link #16717
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Hmmm... Seems like a lot of complicated language for what seems to be essentially gambling.

Why not just bet on the races?
Old 2011-09-22, 14:38   Link #16718
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
So I'm a noob, is it really necessary to have stock options and all that to live a good life in the states......

Cause to me it seems like nothing more sure than Vegas at this point. If I can't trust banks with my money why should I trust Wall Street?
forget stocks, buy commodity, buy real estate, get something tangible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Hmmm... Seems like a lot of complicated language for what seems to be essentially gambling.

Why not just bet on the races?
if you understand it, it has better odds and better tax rates.
Old 2011-09-22, 14:58   Link #16719
AnimeFan188

WikiLeaks Founder Loses Control of His Memoir

"WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has lost control of more than just the U.S.
State Department cables he possessed. He has also lost control of a memoir he
had planned to publish.

Assange’s British publisher, Canongate Books, announced on Wednesday that it
would release an unauthorized memoir about Assange on Thursday, despite his
objections to the project and attempts to pull out of a previous agreement with
the publisher."

See:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ssange-memoir/
Old 2011-09-22, 14:59   Link #16720
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
forget stocks, buy commodity, buy real estate, get something tangible.
How's your potato farm coming along?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
if you understand it, it has better odds and better tax rates.
Jokes aside, the key word is right there. It doesn't matter what you buy. It matters more that you understand what you're buying and what you intend to do with it. Stocks can be be attractive at the moment, if you're looking to buy good value at significant discount. Conversely, real estate might seem like a no brainer, until you recall what triggered this whole mess just over three years ago, the lingering effects of which remains a contributing factor to US unemployment today.

Sadly, it's a wrenching time to be a young jobseeker.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international