AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2009-11-04, 07:51   Link #41
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I'm looking forward to "To Aru Hustle" and Tsunade666's ideas.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 00:01   Link #42
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
That's actually what annoyed me with the series. Harems are so late-1990s/early-2000s. The world really doesn't need more. >_>;;
Amen. Tenchi Muyo was amusing when I was still in middle school, and not much after. In highschool, I saw the drama with one cheating girl, let alone a number.

It's not a commitment, and I certainly wouldn't do anything more than pieces here and there, but idle hobby is rethinking/planning anime series, and Index struck me as one that could be much improved with modest changes in general. Since I might/might not, it may as well be posted here. Sort of 'rewrite of index', mainly going of the anime.

...well, that's what I will outline later, but it's late. Some general points to chew on in general.

-Eliminate harem. Love triangle/more might remain, but the default female character status will not be family/lesbian/lusting for Touma. First love interest to go is Index: completely platonic/filial love, but it works better in context. But you don't need love interest to have a strong connection/friendship, and not everyone centers around Touma anyway. Touma also isn't so much clueless as not interested for various reasons; while Misaka may get butterflies in her stomach, for example, she's still a middle schooler and he's older than to fall for kiddy love. (As she herself matures, though...)

-Change ages for some characters. Style, for example, really will be as old as he looks. Touma is in highschool. Index, actually is older at 22, and not a loli at all. She's taller and older than Touma... but her memory issues sort of inverts it in some ways. Others, not so much. While Touma is slightly older as well (18), Index is the biggest change. Not a loli, and a Sister with a legitimate backing for being able to protect others.

-Mix more guys, so it's not so much 'Touma and girl of the week, with exception of guy of every four weeks'. Mainly means giving more role to the male characters.

-A wider focus on international aspects of psychics in general (as an emerging force), and the diplomatic issues involved with Academy city. Most OC's come in from this aspect, though none are to be overpowered (the one esper involved, while rapidly growing with treatment, starts at level 1 and has a single ability: make barrier). So while Academy City is technically all peaceful and stuff, there's really a lot of espionage going on. Anti-skill isn't just anti-esper: it's counter-espionage as well.

-A Religion of Science. I kid you not, there is a branch of Christianity called Christian Science, and it has very similar themes to Espers philosophy. There is healing through prayer, for example, but part of the Christian Scientist philosophy is that god is all, god is truth, and knowing that truth will be demonstrated in reality. In context of series, they would be some of the earliest psychics, though they attribute it to god and not pure science. But a real-life religion provides a link between the arcane churches and the aethiest espers. Index, while not a follower, ends up taking a day job at such a church in order to help pay for stuff, like Touma's hospital bills

-More focus on anti-skills/judgement. Kuroko gets a supervisor (the foreign esper who makes barriers), and gets a larger role in observing/affecting things. She also gets some character development. Touma, of course, runs into Anti-Skill more often.

-More Accelerator good/evilness, including some esper battles that make him work to win. (!)

Stuff like that. Tweaks across season 1, really, with some new characters/concepts/alterations thrown in to make more interesting.

Oh, and Touma loses a fight because, yes, some people can brawl much better (or more ruthlessly) than him, and imagine breaker don't mean jack if you think you can win with it alone.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 16:22   Link #43
HyperCube

Why didn't you think about "inserting" yourself into Academy City as an Esper or Magician and being part of To Aru series story? that would be an interesting fanfiction no?
HyperCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 17:08   Link #44
Miraluka
Banned

A collective fic?? That sounds good.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 17:16   Link #45
ZeroForever

I'm seriously hoping that hyper's post was a joke post.... because SI's is one of the main reasons why poorly written fan-fiction is poorly written.

Dean - interesting idea though in review it sounds more like a westernization of the to aru universe, which isn't a bad thing as the series many standard japanese clinches and memes seem to hold it back at times.
Old 2009-12-01, 17:16   Link #46
DarknessLord

I do love this setting, and I got a few OCs messing around in my head...
Maybe one of them will motivate me to do something with them...
DarknessLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 18:08   Link #47
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroForever View Post
I'm seriously hoping that hyper's post was a joke post.... because SI's is one of the main reasons why poorly written fan-fiction is poorly written.
Thank you. I think I'm allergic to basically all OOC, AU, crossovers, and made-up characters in fanfiction. Whenever I see one single character who simply doesn't belong in the story, I stop reading. It's a little depressing how many of those I come across.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 19:28   Link #48
DarknessLord

Quote:
Thank you. I think I'm allergic to basically all OOC, AU, crossovers, and made-up characters in fanfiction. Whenever I see one single character who simply doesn't belong in the story, I stop reading. It's a little depressing how many of those I come across.
Heh, despite my above post, I am kinda the same way, with the exception being, "this is a freaken awesome setting, I wanna mess around in it."

But then it's not "New character X runs around and gets involved with the main characters from the story" which I really don't like, but "New character does their own thing separate from the plot to further explore the setting and tell a good story in it in a non-canon violating way" I'm cool with and get the urge to do from time to time.
DarknessLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 20:53   Link #49
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperCube View Post
Why didn't you think about "inserting" yourself into Academy City as an Esper or Magician and being part of To Aru series story? that would be an interesting fanfiction no?
I can't tell if you're encouraging or mocking me.

Wow.

Quote:
If you're looking for a strict limit fic, maybe, but if you want an expansion OC's are almost necessary, unless you want to rewrite characters until all they share is a name.

For an international perspective, for example, you'd want non-magical people from abroad, who are pretty lacking. And if you want to add a religion of science, new characters are necessary.

It's a balance between scaling them and limiting them so they don't steal the show. Which, in the case of most, is far from impossible.
Old 2009-12-01, 22:17   Link #50
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Looks what the Nanoha Fanfiction and Original Character threads spawned. There's a lot of chaff, but we try our best to make it work.

We've started a Railgun minific over there, granted its only a few authors rather than the whole lot of us in it.
Old 2009-12-02, 03:28   Link #51
HyperCube

Woah my suggestion was taken sooo badly x(

I was saying you write a fanfic with a new character in that world and WITHOUT messing with the original plot.

And by "inserting yourself" i meant looking to the ToAru world in another perspective,since it's a big universe so it gives a lot of freedom to Fanfic.You create your own event,your own role in that event,you are free to add the exisiting characters in that event or not...i guess it's clear(not easy to do,but i've seen some good existing ones though).

Well,anyway it's only an idea so...
Old 2009-12-02, 04:35   Link #52
Siegfridus
Tlacuilo

Quote:

I was saying you write a fanfic with a new character in that world and WITHOUT messing with the original plot.

And by "inserting yourself" i meant looking to the ToAru world in another perspective,since it's a big universe so it gives a lot of freedom to Fanfic.You create your own event,your own role in that event,you are free to add the exisiting characters in that event or not...i guess it's clear(not easy to do,but i've seen some good existing ones though).

You know, people takes up seriously when it comes to fanfics. The readers want to read something different, yet according to the series; and some people (being writers or not) want to include their OC or "inserting yourself" in such universe because.... they like it a lot. A great difference of interest of both sides.

Myself got up some OC with certain story as well some interactions with canon characters. But since the fear of rejection of the readers overwhelm me I've done nothing (just some petty drawings and written ideas over there)

But maybe one should just write at our heart's content whatever story comes up. Just with warning that a lot of people won't like it. Someone(s) would... I bet
Siegfridus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 07:16   Link #53
LaoED

When it comes to anime fanfiction, pairings are more likely to be popular than OC fics apparently.

I don't mind reading both, but I have no doubt the majority just wants some fanservice I bet.
LaoED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 08:23   Link #54
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:

Self-insertion is a flaw. The only, only, exception I've seen was an exception that was illustrated to prove the rule: The Fanfiction University of Middle Earth, back when Lord of the Rings was the big thing and everyone was writing self-insert OC's to shack up with their favorite character.

One problem with OCs in general, and a reason they have a stigma, is that they often seen as self inserts. Part of it is natural: people draw from their own experiences and knowledge, and who do you know better than yourself? Of course you'll draw on your experiences, your beliefs, your hopes and dreams. But the near inevitable tendency is to project your idealized self onto them, to make them outshine the main characters of the series, and at that point you've crossed the line.

Handling OC's is tricky. There are some ways to force yourself to keep them acceptable: limit them to minor roles (but makes important ones harder to use), limit interaction with normal characters (but that requires a larger cast of OCs), insure they have real flaws (without using a crutch of sympathetic flaws), or just limit the interaction to the main plot, or make it tangential.
Old 2009-12-02, 10:20   Link #55
HyperCube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
One problem with OCs in general, and a reason they have a stigma, is that they often seen as self inserts. Part of it is natural: people draw from their own experiences and knowledge, and who do you know better than yourself? Of course you'll draw on your experiences, your beliefs, your hopes and dreams. But the near inevitable tendency is to project your idealized self onto them, to make them outshine the main characters of the series, and at that point you've crossed the line.
Well,of course that you will outshine the main characters of the series since it's YOUR story,you are the main character of YOUR event otherwise,it's useless to write a Fanfic about a character in where he isn't even the "Hero" no?

I guess that what most people do in OCs is making themselves almost God-like or even making the main female characters fall for him (sadly..) which is,i admit,very unpleasant to read.
Old 2009-12-02, 11:35   Link #56
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Well,of course that you will outshine the main characters of the series since it's YOUR story,you are the main character of YOUR event otherwise,it's useless to write a Fanfic about a character in where he isn't even the "Hero" no?
Not at all. It's quite possible to make a good story where an OC is neither a self-insert or over-dominating the old cast in their own story.

Creating an OC isn't a demand that the story be OC centric; instead, an OC can provide a new look or tool for the narrative, demonstrating another view that the original narrative didn't.
Old 2009-12-02, 12:58   Link #57
HyperCube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Not at all. It's quite possible to make a good story where an OC is neither a self-insert or over-dominating the old cast in their own story.
True,but To Aru Universe isn't limited with Touma&Co.So their story is already done in that universe.Then,while it's such a wide one,it does fit other stories no? (with or without original cast).

That's why you can make a good OC with a new char (as a hero) and where he is the center of the story (not mostly the original one of course) while respcting the universe plot of course (can be a sort of a Prologue or something like that).
Old 2009-12-02, 13:00   Link #58
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Do it, I want to read your fic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I'm looking forward to "To Aru Hustle" and Tsunade666's ideas.
Well thanks to this two I did manage

fan fic fan fic fan fic....

here goes nothing.... I don't have anything store on my mind right now its just my

blood is boiling after reading that 2 are expecting my fan fic . While the major

plate is away I can do it! .............
It may be a bit jumbled from other anime, games and manga that I like and maybe a

bit different from the original some are alive and yet to be killed.
Well here goes nothing.....

btw I have limited information about the character so I can only use the ones I

know best

Spoiler for Hope someone will read this:

Depends on the others on what they think about it if I will continue it or not.
Hope you guts like it as well as I like writing it on the spot
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 18:38   Link #59
Miraluka
Banned

Why are you calling Accelerator "lolicon"?
About the last part ... too sad :S. Its not like I'm complaing, is good.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 22:39   Link #60
tsunade666

what accelerator shouldn't be called a lolicon? then what? A pedophile? isn't a lolicon a better ring on your ears then being called pedophile. I don't want to be arrested by someone calling me a pedophile.

And LO despite her being the same age as misaka and imouto her physical appearance indicate she's around 10 years old. Just like touma a lolicon Their both LOLICONS!

btw is it good enough for it to have a continuation?
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction