AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-13, 14:04   Link #1061
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I'm trying to roll my tongue like Kneesocks, but I'm not making any progress.

I've even got a video to help me out, but still nothing
Old 2010-11-13, 14:07   Link #1062
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
I'm trying to roll my tongue like Kneesocks, but I'm not making any progress.
Be careful , you could swallow your tongue
Old 2010-11-13, 18:02   Link #1063
CWW
Lurker

Haha, they even parodied Optimus Prime's trailer launch and subsequent PEW PEW from The Movie. Best episode yet. It has nothing to do with me being a huge G1 fanboy. Nope. Only thing missing was Stocking turning into a purple, high-pitched, queer, more insane Megatron. OH WAIT. Love it.

More of these episodes please, Gainax, and less sexual puns and innuendo.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 20:37   Link #1064
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
From csakuras' Twitter, the trustworthy source of all Gurren-Lagann-(kinda-)related news:

:O
Chuck to the Future?
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 00:13   Link #1065
Funkatron
Highly irregular

According the guys at Random, the first episode should have been called "Transwhoremers", which makes a whole lot more sense than Transhomers

"Bigdildo, Transwhore!"
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 00:41   Link #1066
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I think the funniest part about The Stripping was not actually said stripping but when P and S stopped short of removing their panties and the gambling crowd all went to a collective "Oh shit!" and then going wild when they took them off to kill the ghost.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 01:51   Link #1067
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Dude, why were they fired form the Hospital again!? If I'm about to die, I'd BETTER get me some sexy as heaven nurses to try and feed me while stripping...

...alas, not in America
Old 2010-11-14, 02:17   Link #1068
Nerroth
NePoi!

There's more traffic about this episode than I've seen on AS for either of the most recent Transformers series...

When it comes to voice actor selection, I suspect the Japanese version has an advantage over a future English dub, in terms of 'borrowing' from the franchise being parodied; from what I gather, Peter Cullen has already turned down offers to voice Optimus Prime in the likes of Robot Chicken (and that was in a skit that is arguably less forward than this one) as he takes the role too seriously to go for such a parody.

One thing that I couldn't help but think about; Geek Boy made such a big fuss about the futility of the two bio-mechanical factions tearing each other apart over some skewed sense of destiny; and yet, where was his sense of moral outrage when Panty and Stocking fight Scanty and Kneesocks? Isn't the conflict between angels and demons portrayed as the same kind of long-standing conflict (complete with bucketloads of collateral damage)?

Also, design-wise, it was interesting how Panty's Cybertronian form was based on both Optimus and Rodimus Prime, yet the suicide spy seemed to be somewhat based on the Alternators version of Rodimus (who, as it happens, doesn't have the trademark yellow wing spoiler that other Rodimus toys are known for... and that Panty herself has on her back.)
Old 2010-11-14, 02:17   Link #1069
xSirmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerica View Post
Here you go.

This was kinda hot :P
Thank you x3
Spoiler for Double gif:
xSirmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 02:49   Link #1070
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
One thing that I couldn't help but think about; Geek Boy made such a big fuss about the futility of the two bio-mechanical factions tearing each other apart over some skewed sense of destiny; and yet, where was his sense of moral outrage when Panty and Stocking fight Scanty and Kneesocks? Isn't the conflict between angels and demons portrayed as the same kind of long-standing conflict (complete with bucketloads of collateral damage)?
Angels = good
Demons = bad
Alien robot's issues = not our problem
Old 2010-11-14, 03:30   Link #1071
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Angels = good
Demons = bad
Alien robot's issues = not our problem
There is also the fact that the ghosts ARE harming people. And the Demons made them worse. So regardless of morality, they have to be stopped for the sake of humanity.
Old 2010-11-14, 05:47   Link #1072
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Serious talk in Panty & Stocking thread oh no.
Old 2010-11-14, 05:50   Link #1073
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Ghost hunting = serious business. :P
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 06:40   Link #1074
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Why? Why am I enjoying this show so much, when I keep telling myself that I'll have no more of this nonsense?
Old 2010-11-14, 10:17   Link #1075
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
ep 7

oh god!! the Transformers parody made me fell off my chair!!
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 12:04   Link #1076
Sekirei07

I was kinda hoping for Gurren Lagaan to show up but I guess they wanted to stick to strictly transformers. Although the animation of that spy robot Panty screwed looked just like the animation of Gurren Lagaan in the final episode when GL appears out of Nia's ring
Old 2010-11-14, 19:01   Link #1077
Funkatron
Highly irregular

G1 theme, Panty and Stocking style

Haha
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 22:02   Link #1078
carcanclaw
Kitty?

Ugggggggh.... its so stupid yet I keep tuning in each week.

While the Transformers episode was a better parody than usual, I still can't help but feel like Gainax came up with this series after watching an episode of South Park, seeing all the sex and poop jokes, and deciding to emulate it while losing all the brilliant social commentary that makes SP so great. :[

I love the art style of this show, and I've heard rumors that Gainax wanted to prove some point about the declining anime industry with this series, but I feel like making something purposely childish and dumb just to make a point is a waste of their talent and money... I do love the ending theme and "Fly Away," though.
carcanclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 22:11   Link #1079
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcanclaw View Post
I've heard rumors that Gainax wanted to prove some point about the declining anime industry with this series...I feel like making something purposely childish and dumb just to make a point is a waste of their talent and money
Not everything is political and allegorical. People don't automatically ascend to a higher plane of existence once they achieve fame. The baser instincts of human nature, those childish fantasies and things we found amusing are, to some degree, always within us. In pop psychology, this is the "inner child", but I'm not going to derail the thread with that. Even the people considered the greatest of greats among us just like to indulge their inner child from time to time (hopefully with some smoothing out around the edges) not to make a point, but because it's fun. To do what the world says you shouldn't do, no matter how vaguely defined that is, to break the chains and let the paint splotches of imagination fall on the canvas of the entertainment world wherever they should. Is it art? Not necessarily, but art doesn't even know what art is sometimes. There's no point to make; there never was. There's only a kid playing with his toys and putting it on the TV screen for us all. Beyond that lies naught but applicability.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 22:19   Link #1080
carcanclaw
Kitty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Even the people considered the greatest of greats among us just like to indulge their inner child from time to time (hopefully with some smoothing out around the edges) not to make a point, but because it's fun.
It's a good point, but I guess I just never really feel like I'm having the fun that is so integral to the process you're describing. I see all the great opportunities for jokes and memorable scenes, only to be disappointed when Gainax takes the low road instead.

The most enjoyable scenes for me have been the crazy action sequences, which is what Gainax does best. I feel like the show doesn't fare so well as a comedy... I don't think I've laughed once (and its easy to make me laugh).

One of my favorite funny moments from any anime ever was is Occult Academy, when Smile beats up Kozue (a girl whose body was taken over by a ghost) and yells “Don’t get cocky just because you’re a little possessed!” as he wails on her. Its not sophisticated or satirical, but it's great, funny writing.
carcanclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gainax, seinen