AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-04-29, 20:54   Link #621
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Asuka wins in the end anyway!

I'm curious if they'll leave it up in the air what happens like the original series this time around though.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 21:18   Link #622
Fweakin

Evangelion was the first non-kids, non-dubbed anime that I saw back when I was a kid when it was originally brought out. I remember how freakin' epic it was watching it, especially when the angels graced the screen and the BGM kicked in. And like others, I was frustrated by the "make-it-up-as-we-go-along" ending to the series. So I am absolutely ecstatic that they appear to be fixing some of the inconsistencies with characters and plot with the first movie.

Shinji has never been an immensely likeable character, but what he lacks in that department he makes up for in believability. Even in the orginal series, I never doubted that placed in that kind of situation myself I wouldn't do something similar, and I don't share his shitty upbringing. I mean, god dammit some of those angels are terrifying - and thats not to mention the new kinds of horror the remake has spun on the howls.

I will definitely be interested to see what they do with the ending (whether its tang inspired or not), considering the end was the part most fans had a problem with. I await with baited breath for the next release.

P.S - Is it just me, or does Misato sound ancient in the new movie? I don't remember her sounding so....old. (And before anyone is a smartarse and says her seiyuu is 14 years older, I know, and that's not a good reason). Everyone else sounds the same as I remember them.
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 22:19   Link #623
ichobi

Eva is the very first thing that gives me the definition of EPIC, not one that 10 Oxford English dictionaries can provide!

The only thing fall short in the EVA greatness was the last episode of TV series, good lord they made up with the real EP 25/ 26 and man that was the first EPIC anime I ever see in my life, set me went emo for a few days or so. The effect last for about a month I must tell you.
ichobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 23:16   Link #624
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I happen to prefer the "make-it-up-as-we-go-along" ending of the TV series. It made more sense to me than the EoE ending. That said, Asuka's final battle was awesome to behold, so I'm glad I caught what went on outside Shinji's head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin
Is it just me, or does Misato sound ancient in the new movie? I don't remember her sounding so....old.
Hmm...she sounds sexy to me (the way I like it). I don't know about her sounding older, since I originally watched Evangelion in Cantonese dubbing.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 23:27   Link #625
7Th
Mixtape

My only complaint with the movie is how cheap most of the character animation looked. For such a project, it was pretty underwhelming. I think the new art style and color design not only don't really nail Sadamoto's style but don't really fit the atmospheric tone of Tsurumaki's direction.

Really liked how they emphasized the more positive aspects of Evangelion's storytelling, though. They're really taking all the necessary measures to showcase how much of an "uplifting" tale was Shinji's story intended to be.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 23:38   Link #626
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I happen to prefer the "make-it-up-as-we-go-along" ending of the TV series. It made more sense to me than the EoE ending. That said, Asuka's final battle was awesome to behold, so I'm glad I caught what went on outside Shinji's head.
Ah, yet another of the endless Eva debates - series ending vs EoE. I'm actually in agreement with you here, I like the series ending better - a lot better, as it happens. I suspect we'd be in the minority in that view. Neither ending was without major flaws, though, so it'll be interesting to see how "Rebuild" improves (hopefully) by building on the better points of both.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 00:05   Link #627
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ah, yet another of the endless Eva debates - series ending vs EoE. I'm actually in agreement with you here, I like the series ending better - a lot better, as it happens. I suspect we'd be in the minority in that view. Neither ending was without major flaws, though, so it'll be interesting to see how "Rebuild" improves (hopefully) by building on the better points of both.
You're not alone. Original ending > EoE ending for me.

As for the voice cast, it's good to have some of the older vets coming back in. Miyamura Yuko is nursing an illness (Basedow’s disease) since May 2007, while Ogata Megumi decided to concentrate on other stuff. So, ya, it's good to have them back. I always have a special spot for the Eva cast. I'm grateful that they got me started on a right footing, and a sense of a "all-star" cast (The two Megumi-sans, and the Weiss boys as side characters. Miki Shinichiro had Initial D, so no complaints from him. Haha).

Kotono-san's getting on with age as well. If Misato in the Rebuild sounds like Jean in Claymore, I won't be surprised.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 04:59   Link #628
Fweakin

I think I need to clarify because my poor sentence construction appears to have tripped me up.

I, too, preferred the series ending over the EoE ending, but it still frustrated the hell out of me. There were parts that just didn't flow (which as Enzo pointed out will hopefully be corrected in Rebuild).
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 09:44   Link #629
ichobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
I think I need to clarify because my poor sentence construction appears to have tripped me up.

I, too, preferred the series ending over the EoE ending, but it still frustrated the hell out of me. There were parts that just didn't flow (which as Enzo pointed out will hopefully be corrected in Rebuild).
EOE would not be as good had we not seen the original series ending because for some people like me I could not stop at the tv series ending, it's not clear and didn't say much (heck, as if EOE tell anything much at all! haha) , hence my expectation was very fulfilled!
ichobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 11:19   Link #630
onmyouji

I've just checked playasia, it seems that the Eva 1.01 LE DVD has 2 disc.

Do you guys know what the content of the 2nd disc?
onmyouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 11:54   Link #631
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post

P.S - Is it just me, or does Misato sound ancient in the new movie? I don't remember her sounding so....old. (And before anyone is a smartarse and says her seiyuu is 14 years older, I know, and that's not a good reason). Everyone else sounds the same as I remember them.
i thought they were reusing the old voice tracks form the tv and eoe movie. And the original cast was hire back to do the voice acting for the new parts.

Anyone know if they did reuse old voice tracks or redid it completely? And what are the rls dates for the other movies?
Old 2008-04-30, 13:34   Link #632
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyouji View Post
I've just checked playasia, it seems that the Eva 1.01 LE DVD has 2 disc.

Do you guys know what the content of the 2nd disc?
The second disc has the movie itself with a bunch of onscreen subtitles explaining equipment information and probably a lot more stuff I can't decypher, 2 different "music videos" featuring Operation Yashima (a Shiro Sagisu version and Joseph-Maurice Ravel version), an 'Angel of Doom' PV and a bunch of commercials.

Spoiler:

Example of one of the onscreen texts.
Old 2008-04-30, 14:14   Link #633
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

So anyone know what the heck happened at the end of You Are Not Alone? Where is that and why is that Lilith at the end or Adam? what's with the coffins on the moon?
Old 2008-04-30, 14:20   Link #634
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukiyomi View Post
So anyone know what the heck happened at the end of You Are Not Alone? Where is that and why is that Lilith at the end or Adam? what's with the coffins on the moon?
speculation is the coffins contain the Angels. As for what actually happen, wait till movie2.
Old 2008-04-30, 15:01   Link #635
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
woah. just watched this.

and.....Eva is back again. ahh. the nostalgic memories! i'm surprised i don't find shinji so annoying, i guess all the cuts they did in the film, didn't really give me time to bring back the old feelings.

every robotic show EVER, hasn't had the level of detail that Eva had, all those mechanical backdrop, the maintenance, the preparation.

I knew there was a reason besides the bio-mechanical robots.

its the hyper-realism with a supernatural theme. they should Clash so much, it sohouldn't be like this.

but...it works.

although i didn't like how they cut a lot of the scenes to make the film, the beautiful added detail has to make up for it....in a way....

dammit. now i have to wait for episode 3 and so forth.

oh, i got NF subs, while the quality of the encoding was good and the file size was decent, i was gutted that at some points they lack subbing at some scenes.

anyone else know another sub of this, that has more details? and preferable that the file size don't go over 3gbs?

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2008-04-30 at 15:42.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 15:24   Link #636
Arm
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post

oh, i got NF subs, while the quality of the encoding was good and the file size was decent, i was gutted that at some points they lack subbing at some scenes.

anyone else know another sub of this, that has more details? and preferable that the file size don't go over 3gbs?

All the subs released so far have been based on NERV's cam subs, which I re-timed for the DVD.

You'll have to wait until an actual group picks it up to get the secondary translations.
Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 15:43   Link #637
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm View Post
All the subs released so far have been based on NERV's cam subs, which I re-timed for the DVD.

You'll have to wait until an actual group picks it up to get the secondary translations.
well, okay. thanks. i guess i won't bother downloading that humongous 3Gb file version.

sheesh, glad i just went with the 700mb one.
Old 2008-04-30, 15:57   Link #638
bloodymess

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Undertaker View Post
I'm too convinced that this is actually the sequel to EVA and I really need to hear people's opinions based on my proof~

Spoiler for Do Not Click Unless You Watched The Movie:

Please let me know what you think of my evidence and if it's believable.
well actually I’m thinking the same thing after noticing this
Spoiler for scene:
bloodymess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 16:33   Link #639
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

it's a remake-sequel?

The flow of time is like a spiral, you are fated to repeat the same events as previous, but still move forward along a new path?

i really love these multiverse things now, ever since i say Duel!, then noien, then bukurano, i'm back to the beginning of my anime odysseys.

Mind you ,while i liekd re-take, i love rei.

D:

I liked the ending when they combined rei with asuka, that's like, the best! two for one! and it also silence those whining people who like monogamy.

Old 2008-04-30, 17:22   Link #640
JMvS
Rawrrr!

About the sequel/tribute aproach, I wonder if the best interpretation of the "14 year scenario" about making Shinji approach Rei, mentionned by Fuyutsuki, , would be:
-they have been planning Shinji's life from his birth, even before his mother death...(would be a little odd)
-just a tribute, the original show being 14 years old now...(that's what I first tought and laughed at).
-a redo of the initial events 14 years later, with only a handfull of people aware...(why not, so far Gendo, Fuyutsuki and Kaworu seem to know more than in the original serie, or at least they show it to us...)

What do you think?
planned life since birth? just a tribute? sequel?
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, remake