AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 30 40.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 45.95%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 9.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-24, 18:01   Link #21
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

The world of psycho-pass is truly fucked up.
Old 2013-01-24, 18:19   Link #22
Humble Loser
Spineless Main Character

Arrow

Besides confusion due to the public murder, the few people who might have been "aware" of what was happening would not do anything due to fear of becoming a "latent criminal" or one worthy of being "eliminated/executed" (which is tragic because any good person would be frozen in his or her tracks, wondering what would happen even if they did the right thing and actually did ACT). If this controlled society had a person with Akane's clear hue/anti-stress/mental strength and Kogami's fighting prowess, then you could have a vigilante who stops crime by him or herself. Of course, this individual would be viewed as a threat by the authorities and they would chase that person off. But a vigilante who could kill in self-defense or to save another person could have stopped the death scene in its tracks. But again, a society which is completely disarmed (no weapons for civilians, no fighting/martial arts instincts, no initiative) waits for its "saviors" to do everything for them. And that is a true state of hell. Guys like Makishima play the system and as long as he stays ahead of the authorities, there is no good Samaritan, no vigilante, no self-motivated/unpredictable superhero that will emerge from the crowd. So he goes unchallenged like a predator in the wild. Hellish society.
Old 2013-01-24, 18:32   Link #23
Dop
Mmmm....

Whoa. Thank goodness I've got this week's episode of Shirokuma Cafe to watch because I think I need a cup of tea and something cheery before going to bed.

Because that was horrible. Yeah, we've all seen violence in anime, but what made this worse was the reaction, or rather the lack of reaction, from the crowd. When the robot turned up that just added the blackest of comedy to the scene.

Looking back at episode 1, we see Kogami unable to shoot someone wearing the same (or very similar) helmet, and only able to use the Dominator after the helmet is damaged.

And now the helmets are here, facilitating people to commit crime by cheating the system, and showing up the shortcomings in what the public think is foolproof.

It's clear Makishima wants to bring down the system, but after this week's episode I'm thinking that the system ought to be brought down, and quite often the only difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter is who comes out on top, and who writes the history books.

I doubt they'll put manual override on the Dominator, as we've already learned that the system has to be SEEN to work, and manual override would show that it doesn't.
However, there is a revolver in the OP sequence, and if the usual law applies it's bound to appear by the third act.
Old 2013-01-24, 18:41   Link #24
Moni-chan
Roookie

Well guys psycho pass has exceeded my expectations, and I think everyone else's. Right now as I read the comments, there's one scene that everyone is talking about and that is when the girl is being killed...in front of a huge crowd. I'm pretty sure that if that were to happen in the real world people would be asking for somebody's head, I admit that I was shocked when i saw that but above everything else i felt kinda angry.
I don't know if any of you share my feelings but the whole scene just showed me how truly sick the system is, I wanted to jump in there and tell the people to do something. I felt helpless watching that, and i know some of you who may read the comment may think I'm taking this serious but if not...thank you for sharing my feelings But this is what makes a good story, making your readers/watchers feel this type of emotions and when they do that means that your doing a good job. I applaud Urobuchi for his creative mind.
I agree with what Makishima said about how the people live, for people to not recognize murder when it happening, they have been living such a sheltered life that they don't know about the dangers around them or the whole in the system that makishima is apparently trying to make much bigger but even so it his fault because he is the one who manufactured the helmet with the help of someone who is very rich. I wonder if that mystery helper sees the world with the same eyes as Makishima does for him to help him build something that could very well destroy the foundation(A.K.A Sybil) that Japan is currently using. Imagine how many peoples psycho-pass wouldn't go over 100.

sorry my last comment... remember in the first episode of Psycho-pass, in the beginning when Kougami was fighting someone with the same helmet on...could that mean that they weren't able to solve the problem? I wonder if by the end of the first season will the Sybil System still be going on strong or would it crumble to the ground.
Old 2013-01-24, 19:01   Link #25
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moni-chan View Post
I'm pretty sure that if that were to happen in the real world people would be asking for somebody's head, I admit that I was shocked when i saw that but above everything else i felt kinda angry.
The thing is,this scene is closer to the the real world than you might think,real life examples might not be as extreme but there is something called the "bystander effect" that is talked about in this news report

That scene reminded me of that.
Old 2013-01-24, 19:01   Link #26
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Because that was horrible. Yeah, we've all seen violence in anime, but what made this worse was the reaction, or rather the lack of reaction, from the crowd. When the robot turned up that just added the blackest of comedy to the scene.
The robot added a nice little touch of black comedy, and highlighted just how wrong and surreal the whole situation was.

I don't think that scene was all that disturbing. It was just enough to make a point. Any less wouldn't have add the desired effect, any more would have been unnecessary and gratuitous. They hit the right note, and I can only praise them for that. To be honest, I'm surprised to see such strong reactions.
Old 2013-01-24, 19:03   Link #27
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wow the murder in that congested street with everyone just looking on and doing nothing was intensely crazy. The pp world really is more messed up than i thought. Good thing Kogami figured out the trick. Makishima might be right about waking up society from Sibyl's hold, but the way he goes around and does it just too extreme.
Old 2013-01-24, 19:16   Link #28
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Wow the murder in that congested street with everyone just looking on and doing nothing was intensely crazy. The pp world really is more messed up than i thought. Good thing Kogami figured out the trick. Makishima might be right about waking up society from Sibyl's hold, but the way he goes around and does it just too extreme.
The status quo must be broken for justice to prevail.
Old 2013-01-24, 19:36   Link #29
Vicious108

If there was any doubt left that it's not just an ego trip as far as Makishima's concerned (hint: there wasn't), it should be gone with this episode.

Also, I'm mildly surprised he can kick that much ass. Figured he'd be entirely the brains and would always rely on outside brawn, but I guess if we're gonna have our climatic duel between him and Kougami, that wouldn't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
The thing is,this scene is closer to the the real world than you might think,real life examples might not be as extreme but there is something called the "bystander effect" that is talked about in this news report

That scene reminded me of that.
Exactly. I understand being disturbed by that scene, but certainly not shocked in the sense of it being something unprecedented or unthinkable in real life. As always, Psycho-Pass' fictional society is designed to mirror our own and pretty much every criticism it's received thus far is analogous to real life social issues. If that weren't the case, Urobuchi wouldn't care for deconstructing it and exposing its ugliness. His works always strive to be relevant to reality and to make people think and question it.
Old 2013-01-24, 19:47   Link #30
HandofFate

Wow, this episode was brutal.
I feel bad for all the victims this episode.

Now that they know the trick, wonder if this particular helmet will stay on, of it this was just a 1 episode plot point.
Old 2013-01-24, 19:57   Link #31
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

This is sooooooooooooo never getting anywhere near American shelves now....

Not after Newtown and Aurora...
Old 2013-01-24, 20:14   Link #32
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Kogami will probably use a real gun in place of a dominator...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Now that they know the trick, wonder if this particular helmet will stay on, of it this was just a 1 episode plot point.
About that, the opening scene of episode 1, which if you'll remember takes place in the future, features Kougami fighting a grunt who's equipped with one of those helmets, and Kou's still using a Dominator. So apparently both are here to stay (unless they decide to retcon that scene I suppose).
Old 2013-01-24, 20:30   Link #33
defki

That was really fucked up. Not only the standing around and watching but also the uncaring faces of the people.

And one guy is even filming this shit next to Gu-Sung like it's absolutely natural.
Old 2013-01-24, 20:34   Link #34
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

the prologue of episode 1 it is possible that its happening in this arc? I would have thought it would be in the last episode
because when I see the helmet ...
Old 2013-01-24, 20:35   Link #35
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
The OP really has some spoiler on it.....Kogami will probably use a real gun in place of a dominator......well I like the Magnum so no complain!
Had enough time to just watch the OP ( ) and it was interesting. The best part is when both Akane and Kougami both raises their respective weapon in a crossfire situation with Makishima in the middle surrounded by those two. The conundrum the scene creates is delicious. As things are right now with the Sybil System, the Dominator can't kill Makishima. Kougami can, but as soon as Makishima falls to the ground, there is Akane waiting with her hands raised with the Dominator. And as we know, the Dominator should render a deadly verdict against Kougami. Unless...... well, unless he has somehow come to resolve his Psycho Pass somewhat similar to Akane. And even if he didn't, he can still be spared as long as Akane doesn't press the trigger. With the last episode in mind, Kougami can still face existential problem from people like the female boss who can make people disappear. I may have a man-crush on Kougami.

I can't wait to watch this episode.
Old 2013-01-24, 20:36   Link #36
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I am so disturbed by the murder in the public scene that I actually skip the rest of the episode. I am going to have to clear my head before resuming watching.
Only flaw I have with this episode is some one getting stabbed in the leg with a ball point pen I stopped watching the episode to rant in a forum chat about it for ten minutes just is not possible.

Before one of the few pro sybil sheep comment. Honestly that didnt phase me as much as it should have there are cases of people being beat down and killed in public with out doing anything. Heck I remember walking home on a busy street and 5 guys attempted to jump me and rob me for my phone and not a single person helped well I did take care of thim easily told them it would be best to try to rob some one else been training in boxing for years and at the time had 2 years of mma training under my belt so yea. Anyways the point is people in America aren't so helpful those law and order eps were people get raped in public and no one calls the cops happen in real life some where I'm sure.

This episode did highlight the major flaws of sybil yet ugh the detectives just don't question it enough even with all its holes and what its doing to they're lifes they are trying to fix said holes. And more reason why I do not trust maki. But at least now it has been made beyond 100% clear to the few doubters Sybil is broken beyond fixing.
Old 2013-01-24, 20:44   Link #37
Allium
Keep on keeping on

That was one brutal episode, from the beginning 'til the end. It seems that during almost each episode, we get to see past Sibyl's 'perfect' facade, and the cracks we see this time can't be any more clearer: humanity's dependence on AI, and as exhibited this episode, the AI aren't any more reliable themselves. In short, P-P's world is really messed up.

I'm sure many of us were jolted by the street murder scene. I was actually appalled by it, and the smiling AI topped it all off. I was shocked not only by the way the murder was carried out, but the fact that scene almost precisely mirrored an aspect of our real life. There have been many cases where such incidents or accidents happen in public, and bystanders do not do anything to aid the victims until it is too late. P-P shows, again, the dark side of the the Sibyl System. It's been a while since I've been left shaken by an anime scene; Urobuchi's done it again.

Turns out all this chaos is just an overture for Makishima's grand plan. Whatever he's planning, it sounds real big. I have to admit, it was cool watching his martial arts skills at the end. He's proving himself formidable each time - it's not hard to imagine that when he and Kougami face each other later on, there will be one hell of a showdown.

On the other hand, we have a different set of OP/ED sequences this time. I liked the art style in the OP sequence, and the ED's was okay. I actually almost chuckled at Akane's expressions during the ED sequence, because the expressions seemed to match the lyrics. I also noted that the MWPSB Director's 'Rubik's Cube' has cameos in the OP and ED scenes, and I can't help thinking that the Director's has a bigger role in all of this...
Old 2013-01-24, 21:20   Link #38
CJ_Walker

Well, that's that. We now know, the Sybil system is bad. Gen was being pretty ambiguous about it, listing some pros and cons of the system - even in this ep where he. . .er gino said that people don't have locks on their doors and no one mistrusts another, but in the next scene we see a BIG con to that. It totally negates it. . .I guess Triple R wins that debate that was in ep13.

Anyway, now that we KNOW that sybil is bad, what's gen trying to say now? He's obviously making some social commentary, but the question is what is he trying to say really? I'm pretty sure he wants us to equate the pp world with todays world so. . .what's he trying to get us to look at?

*flips turns on the Triple R Signal*: {RRR}

P.S. is there any reason why I get logged out of my account if I go afk for like 2 minutes? kinda annoying

Last edited by CJ_Walker; 2013-01-24 at 21:39.
Old 2013-01-24, 21:25   Link #39
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Lots of really nice touches in this episode... The people standing and not knowing how to respond to the murder happening before their eyes. The robot noticing the mental instability of the woman being killed. The reflection helmet showing Kogami's psycho reading, thus allowing him to shoot the perp regardless, as if shooting himself. All tightly woven into the episode as powerful clues to the failings of this system. Psycho Pass continues to impress.
Old 2013-01-24, 22:20   Link #40
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
Well, that's that. We now know, the Sybil system is bad. Gen was being pretty ambiguous about it, listing some pros and cons of the system - even in this ep where he. . .er gino said that people don't have locks on their doors and no one mistrusts another, but in the next scene we see a BIG con to that. It totally negates it. . .I guess Triple R wins that debate that was in ep13.

Anyway, now that we KNOW that sybil is bad, what's gen trying to say now? He's obviously making some social commentary, but the question is what is he trying to say really? I'm pretty sure he wants us to equate the pp world with todays world so. . .what's he trying to get us to look at?

*flips turns on the Triple R Signal*: {RRR}

P.S. is there any reason why I get logged out of my account if I go afk for like 2 minutes? kinda annoying
I still see it's as grayish as opposed to black and white. I'm sorry if I sound like one of those guys from NRA(I'm pro-gun ban btw) but I think it is the people who are bad as opposed to the Sybil system being totally bad. There are screwed up ppl like Makishima and then there are ppl who are willing to let crime go pass in front of their eyes--with the guy who filmed the entire murder even finding it interesting.Sure there are flaws in the sybil system, but then, the sybil system did prevent most ppl from getting caught up in crime--that's why there's no black and white.
Closed Thread