AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-05-11, 22:02   Link #341
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothsephi
It actually all goes back to the game, there were many mistranslations in FFVII, one of them being Tseng dying. I looked up on Wikipedia (being confused of this as well) and found out that he was just injured in the game, but as you can see now, he's okay.
If that is the case, it would have been one of the gravest translation errors in gaming history. *Laughs* Goodness, I suppose its too late to re-educate the hundreds of thousands in the FF7-fic-writing fandom about this little oopsies.
Old 2006-05-12, 22:03   Link #342
Rothsephi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
If that is the case, it would have been one of the gravest translation errors in gaming history. *Laughs* Goodness, I suppose its too late to re-educate the hundreds of thousands in the FF7-fic-writing fandom about this little oopsies.
I actually made an account here to tell this website of it...
Rothsephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 22:27   Link #343
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Nope, the phoenix down explanation doesn't quite cut it I'm afraid...
Oh yes it does...they ran out of Phoenix Downs and used the last one...
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 00:58   Link #344
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon
Oh yes it does...they ran out of Phoenix Downs and used the last one...
Revive materia? Phoinex summon? Go kill some other monster for one...? Ahahaha, the game is difficult to make sense when people die. "I can revive Aeris when a saw-toothed catipillar bites her to death, but not when Sephiroth stabs her through the heart..."
Old 2006-05-13, 17:26   Link #345
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

lol...that's what differentiate reality and virtual reality...
Old 2006-05-13, 18:07   Link #346
kujoe
from head to heel

Jeez... Even if you include "virtual reality" into the picture, I believe a phoenix down can only revive KO'ed characters. But yes, you're right. There is indeed a difference between the actual dramatics, and game mechanics—especially when an actual story is concerned. Saying that a phoenix down revived Tseng is like saying that Cloud and Tifa can actually make a living from the money monsters drop.

However, I'm still wondering what would happen if Tifa executed a Dolphin Blow out of nowhere during her fight with Loz.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 18:29   Link #347
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

I think monsters dropping money/items is the most rediculas part of all RPG game...how on earth does a slimy, gooy jelly hide anime skin, excalibur, a ton of cash or gems inside? And even if you explain how you hide it, where do they get them?
And the worst part is leveling up...that's one reason I don't like RPG games...people playing them really have no skill. All they need to do is fight a million times, gain a huge level difference between them and bosses, and that's it. Really, honestly, RPG games are 90% based on how much time you spend on it, not how skillful you are, unlike other game genres(fighting/action-->skills on rhythm and timing; shooting-->finger-eye co-ordination; strategy-->brain poewr, etc.).
If I want to read the story and watch the scenes, I'll simply ask my friends to hack into the game and extract them all out for me, instead of wasting time on it.
Sorry for all the steam...
Old 2006-05-17, 06:42   Link #348
shikensha

For the FFVII fans among you and those who want to know about what happened in the two years after the game, you may want to read the official short stories of "The Maiden who Travels the Planet" and "On the Way to a Smile". They're like a prologue to the movie and give a deeper understanding of how things ended up the way they were.

Fan translations can be found here at http://xthost.info/ffwebnovel/. Although the translations seem to have a few "hiccups" in quality, it seems the translator didn't have the time to edit them apparently. But it seems good and accurate enough to me.

I liked how "On the Way to a Smile" showed how the characters tried to move on from their lives as heroes, after the events in FFVII, back to their daily lives just before FFVII:AC. Pity these stories will probably never get official translations for sell.

Quote:
I think monsters dropping money/items is the most rediculas part of all RPG game...how on earth does a slimy, gooy jelly hide anime skin, excalibur, a ton of cash or gems inside? And even if you explain how you hide it, where do they get them?
Yes, as a little boy I never thought much about it back then but, later I thought it was both funny and stupid.

I don't know about other RPGs but, games like the recent Legend of Heroes VI, you earn your money by doing side quests or selling material the monsters drop. The latter is true of all the MMORPGs that are out.

Quote:
And the worst part is leveling up...that's one reason I don't like RPG games...people playing them really have no skill. All they need to do is fight a million times, gain a huge level difference between them and bosses, and that's it. Really, honestly, RPG games are 90% based on how much time you spend on it, not how skillful you are, unlike other game genres(fighting/action-->skills on rhythm and timing; shooting-->finger-eye co-ordination; strategy-->brain poewr, etc.).
That's partly true. While levels do make a difference, you can only level so high before you're forced to beat the boss and move on because the amount of experience you gain per kill is so low. In this sense, all the RPGs have a constraint about how high you can level before fighting a boss unless you have an unbeliveable amount of patience and enjoy some real "grinding", or cheat.

Also, some bosses require tactics and a good use of abilities. Just try beating Ruby Weapon and Emerald Weapon in FFVII without looking for any help. Maxing out your levels alone won't beat those two optional bosses. Otherwise I find the mandatory bosses generally easy to beat in RPGs, despite the leveling constraint they try to impose.

As for "rhythm and timing", some action RPGs do offer the challenge. In games such as the recent Ys VI, you still have to level up and the leveling constraints remain but it's no longer turn based. Neither is it a matter of bashing the attack key to defeat bosses as you have to time it well and find out what their weaknesses are. That said, higher levels do help you survive longer at this point.

On the later higher difficulty levels, timing is even more crucial. While at the normal setting, you can just bash away at the swarms of enemies attacking you, the higher setting means you can't hurt them without dealing out critical hits. To do that, you have to watch each of the monsters and time your attacks so that you hit them just as they strike out at you.

At the same time, the damage they deal have been increased so you have to do whatever it takes to stay alive. At this point, levels matter no more as you die instantly. Avoiding death and beating the insanely tough monsters now takes a lot of quick reaction and timing.

Quote:
If I want to read the story and watch the scenes, I'll simply ask my friends to hack into the game and extract them all out for me, instead of wasting time on it.
That's true if the battle systems were dull and the environments were bland but, the fun in RPGs is that you get to jump into a whole new fantasy world and experience, interact with it. To do that, leveling up is a necessary evil I think otherwise it would get dull quickly if all you do is chat with NPCs and travel about. Something along the lines of Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon are better suited to a tranquil game experience in that case.

You can't experience the same thing in games that are pure FPS, puzzle and strategy.
shikensha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-17, 07:06   Link #349
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
No skill needed for rpg games? The skill is called choice selection and decision making. Theres also the factor of time too, you need to be quick on your decision and combat tactics. Nowadays the rpgs are getting tougher and tougher, though storyline bosses are always crap when you out lvl them, secret bosses and side quests are always insanely hard. You play the storyline for enjoyment of the plot, you challenge secret bosses for the fun.

Items dropping out of mobs absurd? What about Jill Valentine a cop who dies when chewed on by zombies, can survive Cyclop's Mega Optic blast or be slashed a dozen times by Wolverine's Berserker Barrage?

Why do you gain cash after shooting your opponents to hell? Then at the start of the next round you use the cash to buy weapons out of nowhere and why are we starting all over again? Why do we kill each other with guns over and over again?

What's the materials needed to build a Paladin? Apparently the same as a Commanche or a Pathfinder's training, cash is all that is needed. Why do the Terrans, Zerg and Protoss need Crystals and Vespene Gas? Whats the composition of both resources? Apparently they contain materials that can produce beam cannons, nourish alien organisms and summon buildings from an alien home planet.

Whats with all these absurdities? The answer is so that we can actually play and have fun.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 00:37   Link #350
Forever
Revealing the truth

Some advent children cosplay i spotted.

Old 2006-07-20, 05:09   Link #351
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Man, that Tifa cosplay is HAWTNESS~! One of the best ones I've seen ever. And the Cloud one is done really well too - great job on the sword.
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-29, 12:32   Link #352
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Don't know if this is where I could post. But did anyone hear about the new LE release for 'FFVII:AC'? The info. was posted in this month's 'Newtype USA'. This LE release will include 'Last Order'.

I had to laugh at this considering they should have waited and released it. But I guess you take what you can and get the best later. They do that with movies all the time. It drives people crazy.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 03:41   Link #353
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Hi every one .

I dont want to get spoiled in this thread so i just had a question.

What is the order of the final fantasy animes?. I know there is one advent children and other is last order. What is the order of it?.

Also i have the final fantasy 10 game but havent finished playing it on ps2 yet, so i was wondering if watching any of the ones stated above will spoil me on the game or anime .

Thanks alot in advance.
Old 2007-02-22, 15:06   Link #354
Alice Elliot
#1 Yaoi/Shonen-Ai Hater

Send a message via MSN to Alice Elliot
Ah, both, Last Order and Advent Children don't have anything to do with FFX, it's all about FF7. Last Order is about the time in the game when Cloud was a member of SOLDAT, it takes place in Clouds hometown and is about Sephiroth, Zack and what happened at the reactor there with Jenova and after it (hope I got it right, since it's a while ago since I watched it). Advent Children takes place 2 years~ after the game Final Fantasy VII.

Btw I found a great parody to FFVII AC. It's Kadaj dubbed by someone else and he's damn good as VA I think -> Click me~
Alice Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, science fiction