AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Rozen Maiden

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-12, 23:10   Link #1
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Licensed!

Yes its finally happened - and Geneon are the ones to do it.

Source at ANN~

Spring sure needs to hurry up, can't wait for this one. Especially looking forward to seeing what they'll use for the box art - maybe go with the R2 release versions.
Old 2007-01-13, 00:18   Link #2
Asrialys

Can't wait to hear Shinku, Suigintou, and Suiseiseki.
Old 2007-01-13, 00:22   Link #3
TamaNeko

There's a thread on it at the ANN forums. Here are some quotes from that thread.

Popularity doesn't determine the value of a show (especially that in another country). The show's storyline is terrible, the characters especially that of your typical dorky male protagonist are stupid and it's just not going to work in america. It's a niche show, and that niche isn't big. Traumend aint happening unless they picked it up already.

...ok...so it's popular, but niche is so small, so it isn't popular?

Anything else that was rumored (like Nana) would have definitely been better, and I wasn't specifically talking about Disgaea, although it's better then this dump .

I'll "fourth" that. I don't really like Rozen Maiden that much either. I thought it was rather boring after a few episodes, so I stopped watching. It's funny that you mentioned Disgaea because I love Disgaea! It's way better than RM in my opinion. Oh, and I was hoping for Nana (and possibly Ouran) to too. Seems that we agree on a few things.

HAHA OH WOW. Go get 'em, guys.
Old 2007-01-13, 00:22   Link #4
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Holy crap that is big news. The details are pretty sketchy though, since they haven't even indicated if the license includes the second season or the the specials. I'm pretty optimistic about it though, since Geneon generally put out decent local releases and do good dubs (most of the time) and the German dub was actually not half bad, ignoring Jun's voice. I'll definitely buy the first season. Not sure if I'll buy the second season, since I wasn't totally impressed by it.

The million dollar question: what will Suiseiseki say at the end of her sentences instead of "desu"?
Old 2007-01-13, 00:22   Link #5
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
Can't wait to hear Shinku, Suigintou, and Suiseiseki.
...I do NOT want to year Suiseiseki's ~yesu in english... /barf. It kinda works, but it makes it seem more like she's not completely fluent in english and makes her seem less cute and moe.
Old 2007-01-13, 00:25   Link #6
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaNeko View Post
Popularity doesn't determine the value of a show (especially that in another country). The show's storyline is terrible, the characters especially that of your typical dorky male protagonist are stupid and it's just not going to work in america. It's a niche show, and that niche isn't big. Traumend aint happening unless they picked it up already.
Honestly that's a horrible reason. I mean, if you showed Air to the average american they'ld say it was a chick flick. People watch anime because it's different. If you release the dvds, they will come.
Old 2007-01-13, 01:22   Link #7
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Those guys should stick it in.
Old 2007-01-13, 03:00   Link #8
Suiseiseki
どうぞ ★ヽ(´ー` )ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Those guys should stick it in.
I believe Shinku has an opinion on that idea:
Spoiler:

That Ann thread is getting trashed at 4chan.

I doubt Geneon will keep Sui's desu.
Old 2007-01-13, 03:03   Link #9
tritoch

instead of the 'yesu', we may have the... 'yessirs' or 'yessers'

Major problem I am seeing with this series would be the rating.. I mean come on, the dolls looks cute but its kinda creepy when they talk and slap humans. I wonder how Americans will handle this.

[sarcasm]

Please do not be offended =p
Old 2007-01-13, 03:11   Link #10
Suiseiseki
どうぞ ★ヽ(´ー` )ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post

Major problem I am seeing with this series would be the rating.. I mean come on, the dolls looks cute but its kinda creepy when they talk and slap humans. I wonder how Americans will handle this.

[sarcasm]

Please do not be offended =p
I bet Americans would love to be slapped around if it was Junk doing the slapping. If is was Shinku, on the other hand, they probably would throw her out to the bears.
Old 2007-01-13, 03:45   Link #11
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
yes! at last! i can see more people joining the army that is gin sama's

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-01-13, 08:25   Link #12
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
All I can say is... What took them so long?!

Based simply on the number of fanboys/girls I've talked with on these forums and others, I'd say that Rozen Maiden will do well in the R1 area. I'm biased of course. Anyone who bashes the series because "its popularity is based on a bunch of 4chan memes" can bite me. While it certainly isn't Bleach or Naruto, for a simple 12/24 episode series I believe it will do well.

The license couldn't have come cheap. I wonder how long Geneon considered this before taking the dive; how much research was done? Bunches. Companies make money. And Geneon will definitely be taking mine come release time.

edit: Yeah, I've got 4 of the R2 Japanese DVDs, which probably cost me about the same as the whole season 1+2 will cost me of the R1 release. Plus they'll have subtitles...

Last edited by the.Merines; 2007-01-13 at 08:43.
Old 2007-01-13, 08:39   Link #13
QueenNori

Although I already have all German DVDs, I will also buy the American ones. I'm still excited, btw

Last edited by QueenNori; 2007-01-13 at 10:16.
Old 2007-01-13, 09:48   Link #14
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
edit: Yeah, I've got 4 of the R2 Japanese DVDs, which probably cost me about the same as the whole season 1+2 will cost me of the R1 release. Plus they'll have subtitles...
Yeah I have some of the R2s also. Me thinks I can save a little cash now that the R1s are going to be made available!
Old 2007-01-13, 12:36   Link #15
Asrialys

Why "yesu~?" I haven't seen any Rozen Maiden manga raws, but would people assume that because of all the times Suiseiseki keeps saying "yes" in the Tokyo Pop manga? I always wondered why Suiseiseki kept saying "yes" in the english version of the manga, but never looked into it.

Anyway, all the "nano," "kashira," and "desu" will probably be covered up.
Old 2007-01-13, 13:00   Link #16
TronDD
Team the box!

Wow. Great news. I've been contemplating buying the R2 DVDs fearing the series would never be licensed.

I did that for AIR and Kanon and now I'll be raped forever with remakes and blu-ray versions etc.

I'll be happy to by R1 DVDs of the whole Rozen Maiden saga.
Old 2007-01-13, 15:26   Link #17
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post
BELIEVE IT!

I was reading series summaries over on 4chan (yes, I go there time to time), so it has me wondering what the DVD summaries are going to say
Old 2007-01-13, 22:16   Link #18
AthenAltena
Sister of the Forks

I hope they're not as bad as the Tokyopop manga summaries. Wince-inducing. >_<

And as for ANN, I don't trust their opinions for squat. I think people in the States who haven't necessarily liked "Anime" might like RM espeically if they're into the EGL scene. It is one of the most popular shows in Japan (number 9 I think) which means it must appeal to a lot of people across barriers. I think those guys on ANN are condemning too early, especially since they tend to be older and I think RM would be a good show for the 14-16 crowd.

I think in terms of "desu" they'll just leave it out. That's what they did with Kurumi, they just made a note in the translation of the subtitles. I think there really isn't a good English equivalent that doens't sound stupid or forced.

I was also cracked up by the Disgaea comment, almost everything I heard about that anime was horrible. Just to show it's all opinion.
Old 2007-01-13, 22:37   Link #19
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Aaah! Dubs! Run for your life!

Then again, maybe it won't be too bad. (hopefully)

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2007-01-13, 22:48   Link #20
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
I may watch the dubs for a minute or so... just to get a slice of the VA's talent so I can berate them online without justification.

And as for the copulas, I don't mind in the anime as much as the manga because you can still hear the "desu," just like you can hear the "boku" but can't write it easily.