AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-07-04, 17:44   Link #2061
pff
Banned

Guardians sounds boring, generic and p.c

Warriors are badass and awesome. And no, guardians doesn't make more sense in the slightest. That's why in japanese they are still seishi.

I always liked that they were exactly warriors. That was also why the manga was so successful with girls and boys - for the first time female characters were badass warriors who kicked ass, and not just heal, protect main character etc. And with guardians they are reduced to that trite shounen position for females again.
Can they kick ass? Haha, no, no, they are girls, they only defend, heal, do cutesy stuff, worry.

Smh.
Old 2014-07-04, 17:46   Link #2062
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
you joking right you call those cgi attacks of precure made better then this cgi sailor moon transformation ?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK68td-J3EY i dont think it can be worse then this
Oh my gawwwddd...that...that...just kills any and all who sees it.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2014-07-04, 17:47   Link #2063
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by pff View Post
Guardian sounds boring, generic and p.c

Warriors are badass and awesome. And no, guardians doesn't make more sense in the slightest. That's why in japanese they are still seishi.

I always like that they were exactly warriors. That was also why the manga was so successful with girls and boys - for the first time female characters were badass warriors who kicked ass, and not just heal, protect main character etc. And with guardians they are showed in that trite shounen position for females again.
Can they kick ass? Haha, no, no, they are girls, they only defend, heal, do cutesy stuff, worry.

Smh.
A name can't change the fact that they burn, rip off, and melt demons. They can be called princesses, butterflies, healers and still being bad ass if they can kill monsters in such violent ways as in the manga.
Old 2014-07-04, 19:00   Link #2064
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:

I always liked that they were exactly warriors. That was also why the manga was so successful with girls and boys - for the first time female characters were badass warriors who kicked ass, and not just heal, protect main character etc. And with guardians they are reduced to that trite shounen position for females again.

Smh.
Unsure where you get the idea that guardians heal, defend and do cutesy stuff whereas warriors fight?
A guardian would be pretty unsuccessful if they just stood around healing and defending... Can't really protect or defend anything if you're not killing it.
Maybe you're thinking of classic trinity healers or something.

And indeed, they are per canon said to be guarding their solar system/home planets/earth in particular.
Synonyms for guardian (per Oxford Dictionary): protector, defender, preserver, champion, custodian, warden, guard, keeper; conservator, curator, caretaker, steward, trustee, supervisor

The word "warrior" is somewhat unfitting given their role, and in particular if you consider the origin of the word.
Via Oxford Dictionary:
Middle English: from Old Northern French werreior, variant of Old French guerreior, from guerreier 'make war', from guerre 'war'.

They do not "make war" or fight for the sake of it, they rather watch over and protect their home system when necessary. The term "guardian" hence seems more fitting.

Anyways, it's the word used in the official material. If they (Naoko) felt this was the correct (intended) translation, I don't really see the issue.
Old 2014-07-04, 19:08   Link #2065
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Yeah, I'm with Faerie on the guardian/warrior discussion.

Sailor Moon doesn't dream of military conquest, last I checked. Not does she strike me as loving the thrill of violence for its own sake. She just wants to protect the people and places that are important to her. So yeah, "guardian" probably fits her a bit better than "warrior", though I wouldn't have a major problem with either term.

Well, except "warrior" often makes me think of a certain pro wrestler, and I'm not sure if that's who I want to be thinking of when I think of Sailor Moon.
Old 2014-07-04, 19:12   Link #2066
Baldurkai
Ultra durable

Quote:

Smh.
Just a side note depending where you're taking your guardian definition from it can have multiple meanings, however generally similar things. But nonetheless guardians are equally as badass and can kick ass very easily and efficiently.

In addition to what faerie and minaku have said the sailor moon girls do all sorts of killing, melting, slaying cutesy stuff which is probably more than what any typical warrior would do in a lifetime...

Is that not badass enough? Do you want them to have some sort of super universe destroying special power too? - I'm sure one of them does but need confirmation on that ^^^

Anyway guardians are badass in their own way equal to that of any warrior.
And what lead you to believe a guardian was a "shounen position for females"? Saint seiya characters are like guardians and they do all that badass awesome stuff you said warriors do....
Old 2014-07-04, 19:21   Link #2067
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:

Smh.
Who cares if it says guardian or warrior?

As both minaku and Faerie said, the duties of one of those roles isn't mutually exclusive from the other. You're doing nothing but provoking a needless argument of semantics. Whichever word is used won't change the fact that they're strong women who protect humanity via the method of kicking ass. They don't need a single, specific word to reflect that.

At the end of the day, whatever Naoko calls her work is what I'm calling her work.
Old 2014-07-04, 19:28   Link #2068
GDB

I'm just calling it Sailor Moon either way. Who cares what words they put before it? The number of people who will actually call it as such are minimal.
Old 2014-07-04, 21:14   Link #2069
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Well, just signed up for a Crunchy Roll account... not that long to go.

Bad or not, it's more Sailor Moon.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2014-07-05, 00:39   Link #2070
Frumix

Quote:
Why the thread says "guardian" and not "warrior" as the actual title is? Quite a big fucking difference.
This is the title chosen by Naoko Takeuchi.
Been for over ten years.
I think as far as complaints about SMC, now that I've read this I feel that I've seen it all.
God damn it people.
Old 2014-07-05, 01:20   Link #2071
minaku
Princess of Hades

I can't believe how extremely excited I am right now. Despite the fact I don't like some of their creative decisions, I count the seconds. Lol, just an year ago when they delayed it for the first time I thought they won't do it all, just like the movie of Rose of Versailles - after multiple delays Toei abandoned the project, despite they even had a trailer for it. But Sailor Moon Crystal, for good or bad, is reaching us today. I hope we are going to fall in love with this characters again.
Old 2014-07-05, 02:44   Link #2072
Sakuya
*Artist

I cannot wait too, nostalgia here we come! Waiting for good feels. Meanwhile, the blu-ray & DVD release schedule has already been announced.

http://sailormoon-official.com/anima...blu-raydvd.php

The first volume will be released on Oct. 15 and will include episodes 1 and 2. There will be 13 volumes for the series and each will have a regular edition DVD/blu-ray and a deluxe limited edition blu-ray with all the pictured goodies.
Old 2014-07-05, 05:11   Link #2073
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

The series should be currently airing so from now on move on the new thread in the Current Section.

Tags
remake, shoujo