AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 120 51.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 25.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 10.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 5.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 3.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.43%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.43%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.13%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-04, 22:10   Link #41
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Looks like all the Hinata x Yuri shippers just got shut down. :/

But yeah, awesome episode.

How are they going to get the rest of it done in THREE episodes though?!
Old 2010-06-04, 22:10   Link #42
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
No, he chose to stay because he is still worried about other people
This further proves what I said last time that one doesn't neccessarily has to disappear even s/he feels fulfilled.

At the scene where Yui asked Otonashi if he would marry her (and before Otonashi showing that "eh..." expression), I almost thought he was going to pull a Makoto. And then Hinata showed up and I was like "damn, that should have been obvious. THANK YOU MAEDA FOR MISLEADING ME". I wonder if anyone else had that feeling.

The imaginary real-world scenes of Yui and Hinata were beautifully done, yeah, except I have a nitpick: Yui looks like Yui in her reallife flashback, but Hinata looks just like from the SSS world. If they make him look like the one in his flashback in episode 4, it would have more of a "seishun" feel. Yes, I know the imaginery scenes imply present/future (?), but having a younger Hinata in the scenes would have a better effect.

As for the next few episodes, I'm pretty sure no individual is going to disappear anymore. It will be about the whole gang. The title even kind of implies so.
Old 2010-06-04, 22:14   Link #43
skyy54264

Halfway through, I found it ironic that to make Hinata disappear, he was suppose to catch a ball. To make Yui disappear, she has to hit a ball. I was expecting Yui to hit and Hinata catching her ball and they would disappear together.

Also, I didn't get the flashback. Was is suppose to be a "flashback" of what was suppose to happen when the two of them were alive or is it foreshadowing?
Old 2010-06-04, 22:16   Link #44
SolCiel

Yui
# of times cried: 3
I thought it was incredibly sweet when Hinata showed up and said he would marry Yui.
But I'm lost. How did Yui die?
It never showed it.... hmm.
Old 2010-06-04, 22:17   Link #45
DrCnCh
Incomprehensibly Named

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyy54264 View Post
Halfway through, I found it ironic that to make Hinata disappear, he was suppose to catch a ball. To make Yui disappear, she has to hit a ball. I was expecting Yui to hit and Hinata catching her ball and they would disappear together.

Also, I didn't get the flashback. Was is suppose to be a "flashback" of what was suppose to happen when the two of them were alive or is it foreshadowing?
It was, from what I understood, just a "what if" scenario about the whole story that they said before she disappeared.

Also, almost cried at that scene, almost.
Old 2010-06-04, 22:23   Link #46
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Some people are beginning to worry that by the end of episode 13, an announcement of season 2 will come and further complicate the already 'tangled' flow of Angel Beats!

Overall, I think Hinata is quite the character. He in the novels was the lead, and to me it is only fitting that he takes center stage at times, albeit few would expect him to have done so in quite this fashion. As for the cause of death for Yui, I have not high hope that Maeda will care to elaborate.

A few speculators tabled a thought experiment in having Otonashi Hatsune being in this same world as her brother and how the titular lead would've proceeded in that case. It is felt by some of the denizens of komica that the elder Otonashi might actually ebb even his only sibling to come to terms with that unfortunate life.

At any rate, the progression of this story to me is meant should at least for the span of 20 odd episodes, instead of being placed within this current allotment. AIR TV of 2005 had the benefit of a fully established script along with the flow of 2 years between the game and the animation to somehow abridge the original work, which Angel Beats does not share. One is rather tempted to say that Maeda would've tailored his script to the TV series, but it would seem that the pacing is still not as smooth as Maeda's prior works save ONE.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2010-06-04, 22:32   Link #47
wingman32x

That was a great sendoff for Yui. I loved the conversation Hinata had with her. It was pretty sweet. Goodbye, Yui. You were one of my favorite characters .

I also have to admire Hinata for stepping up like that. I knew all along that the Yui X Hinata pairing had potential to develop further.

Yui's past was pretty unfortunate, just like all of the other ones.

Anyway, it was a great episode.

10/10.
Old 2010-06-04, 22:34   Link #48
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
This show is a flawed gem. It has a lot of things going for it, but suffers from "lifetime movie of the week" disease.

I think if they had an additional two cours to flesh out the characters, develop the relationships (like Yui and Hinata), and reveal their inner angst more slowly it would be possible to be a good show. If they had a bit more subtlety.

Although actually I think the move of making a Yui a very annoying Genki girl and then revealing her past as a paraplegic... very effective.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-06-04, 22:35   Link #49
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

I'm still not convinced whether Hinata actually loved Yui, or he just did that to further Yuzuru's plan. Either way, go Hinata, that was a great ending scene. Yui route complete.
Old 2010-06-04, 22:36   Link #50
Archangel Roy
Nandaiyo
*Graphic Designer

Loved this episode. Some love scenes, eh? ^__^

Spoiler for Episode 10:
Old 2010-06-04, 22:42   Link #51
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
This show is a flawed gem. It has a lot of things going for it, but suffers from "lifetime movie of the week" disease.

I think if they had an additional two cours to flesh out the characters, develop the relationships (like Yui and Hinata), and reveal their inner angst more slowly it would be possible to be a good show. If they had a bit more subtlety.

Although actually I think the move of making a Yui a very annoying Genki girl and then revealing her past as a paraplegic... very effective.
This.
Hell... that Hinata x Yui things feels like Trainwreck >_>

Can't say I like the ending, but this episode is very enjoyable 7/10 from me
Old 2010-06-04, 22:49   Link #52
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Watching this episode convinces me the structure and flow of the story fits a VN more than it does a series, or at least it should have been a VN first and adapted to a series later. It's like the first 9 episodes were the "common routes" and everything after the character specific routes. That said the excellent way this and the previous episode was made really highlights the fact that the series will really suffer in the end for having only a 13 episode run. Key's storytelling panache usually starts rolling when the heavy stuff gets into gear, and that's usually when they have the exposition and the background going on, and it sucks they only managed to get things going at this point. 13 episodes won't really cut it for me.

As for the episode itself I have no idea how people think the first half showing Yui's back story was anything close to a sob story when she herself clearly doesn't think of it as one. She has her issues and regrets as would anyone in that world, but she doesn't angst or fret about it. Her upbeat and genki attitude the whole series is merely a reflection of her more positive demeanor in wanting to maximize her second chance in doing the things her paralysis denied her. From that end we can understand why she's who she is, as she's clearly trying to live a lifetime's worth of activity the real world took from her.

Admittedly her entire marriage thing was out of the blue and rather cheesy, and so was Hinata's proposal. At the very least it was saved from cliche hell by the montage which, after Clannad's montages in the series adaptation, I guess Key now has down to an art form. Personally I think he did love her, and his entire speech about meeting her again by smashing a baseball through her window was so cheesy yet hopelessly romantic I can't help but both facepalm and smile excessively. Actually I can't find a better ending for them both, and I fully support such an ending when all this is over.
Old 2010-06-04, 22:50   Link #53
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
At any rate, the progression of this story to me is meant should at least for the span of 20 odd episodes, instead of being placed within this current allotment. AIR TV of 2005 had the benefit of a fully established script along with the flow of 2 years between the game and the animation to somehow abridge the original work, which Angel Beats does not share. One is rather tempted to say that Maeda would've tailored his script to the TV series, but it would seem that the pacing is still not as smooth as Maeda's prior works save ONE.
AIR anime was definitely a disaster. For audiences who had played the game, it was extremely disappointing; for those who didn't, their comment about the show was "okay" at best. I mean, just "SUMMER" and "AIR" chapters alone, of which both are essential to the story, can already span across a good 24+ episodes, and that's not even including the individual routes in "DREAM" chapter. If Maeda actually plans to cover each character in Angel Beats, then yes, even 24 episodes won't be enough, but it doesn't seem like the case. As I said above, next episode's title kind of implies that something is going to be done about the whole SSS world instead of individuals, which sounds like the start of a 3-episode run for wrapping up. Maybe they can make a twist at the end to leave room for S2, but as of right now, I think the show can end with a smooth flow.
Old 2010-06-04, 22:59   Link #54
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Clannad came out alright though. It summarised the story in 48 episodes, though. XD

Really I think it's Maeda's inexperience with anime being so short.

If this gets cleared for another 3 cours, making 48-52 episodes, then I think this will be fully fleshed out.

Either that, or a VN. XD
Old 2010-06-04, 22:59   Link #55
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
This.
Hell... that Hinata x Yui things feels like Trainwreck >_>
A cute couple, but yeah, that resolution was rushed...
Old 2010-06-04, 23:16   Link #56
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
AIR anime was definitely a disaster. For audiences who had played the game, it was extremely disappointing; for those who didn't, their comment about the show was "okay" at best. I mean, just "SUMMER" and "AIR" chapters alone, of which both are essential to the story, can already span across a good 24+ episodes, and that's not even including the individual routes in "DREAM" chapter. If Maeda actually plans to cover each character in Angel Beats, then yes, even 24 episodes won't be enough, but it doesn't seem like the case. As I said above, next episode's title kind of implies that something is going to be done about the whole SSS world instead of individuals, which sounds like the start of a 3-episode run for wrapping up. Maybe they can make a twist at the end to leave room for S2, but as of right now, I think the show can end with a smooth flow.
It really was disappointing in terms of AIR in that sense... at any rate, it would've also been welcomed if the Angel Beat novel can be animated as well, but alas, financial constraints must be followed by the producers. There may perchance be some pre-order for the dvds for Angel Beats to convince P.A and Maeda of making such a move, but alas, this is in the realm of speculation.

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2010-06-04, 23:26   Link #57
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
Clearly Jun Maeda has been watching LOST.

(or if you want to be cynical he's reusing a plot point from Kanon)
okay god LOST isn't everything, as for the second part it is every girl's dream in Japan to be married. It is like in every anime. Back to LOST don't even go there...it is hardly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Did anyone catch the scene where the dinosaur and potato from air and botan from clannad lining up in yui's room?
yes i did notice too XD

Quote:
I agree the pacing is quite off and I also agree with what was said above as it being like a V/N. I disagree with the AIR anime being a "disaster". Also YAY for ONE XD
Old 2010-06-04, 23:29   Link #58
Wigwams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
okay god LOST isn't everything, as for the second part it is every girl's dream in Japan to be married. It is like in every anime. Back to LOST don't even go there...it is hardly the same.
ahh... but it is different for yui's case i think. more than wanting to get married, she wanted to set her mother free from taking care of her.
Old 2010-06-04, 23:30   Link #59
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I should add a reflexion that I've just had. As mentioned by DasDingus as well, it would seen that Maeda Jun had returned to touch upon a topic of commitment and a sense of acceptance that he first formulated with Sawatori Makoto's marriage in Kanon of 1998. Yui and Hinata made me look back to Aizawa Yuuichi and that aforementioned character. Another, far more recent, would be Furukawa Nagisa and Okazaki Tomoya.

In contemplation, Yui and Hinata's chemistry is perhaps the least developed of all the prior examples. With the examples in Kanon and Clannad, the audience had the the time given to understand the emotional and logical facets to the players of this particular kind of scenario, instead of relying on a mere account of a character's past. Not having this multifaceted view hampers the ability for the audience to connect with the scenario ultimately and leaves much to desire for the viewers.

This only adds to the lament on how little time is given to develop the themes better.

edit: On MeoTwisterS and the mentioning of Yui making up for her lost time, I would say that this segment is quite fleshed out and there is no ambiguity in its structure. Her modus operendi and her motives are quite evident and it is one that the audience can definitely be sympathetic towards.

Last edited by panzerfan; 2010-06-04 at 23:55.
Old 2010-06-04, 23:39   Link #60
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
I should add a reflexion that I've just had. As mentioned by DasDingus as well, it would seen that Maeda Jun had returned to touch upon a topic of commitment and a sense of acceptance that he first formulated with Sawatori Makoto's marriage in Kanon of 1998. Yui and Hinata made me look back to Aizawa Yuuichi and that aforementioned character. Another, far more recent, would be Furukawa Nagisa and Okazaki Tomoya. In contemplation, Yui and Hinata's chemistry is perhaps the least developed of all the prior examples. With the examples in Kanon and Clannad, the audience had the the time given to understand the emotional and logical facets to the players of this particular kind of scenario, instead of relying on a mere account of a character's past. Not having this multifaceted view hampers the ability for the audience to connect with the scenario ultimately and leaves much to desire for the viewers.

This only adds to the lament on how little time is given to develop the themes better.
Never thought of that, very good note. That is true the story needed more build up. It all makes a lot of sense now.
Closed Thread