AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-14, 14:07   Link #1601
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
That's because he left home, remember?

Also it's dumb to think the anime crew would make and old guy character to has a crush on a young girl, I mean are you serious guys?
Remember Rei grandpa is a pedo himself, and Mamoru is at least 19 years old. Nephrite wasn't so you young as well, as he posed as Masoto Sanjoin a millionaire, clearly not in his teens, yet he falls in love with Naru (anime crew made some strange decisions).
Old 2014-05-14, 14:11   Link #1602
Miraluka
Banned

The pervert grandpa/old guy was a common joke, various series from those years had one: Roshi, Haposai, etc.
Old 2014-05-14, 14:31   Link #1603
Casshern

17 at the start of the story sounds about right for Mamoru. He started out as a highschool student and he was in university by the 3rd season. Still, the anime got away with some things that wouldn't be shown in some other countries, like Usagi getting drunk off champagne when she was still 14-15.

I don't think Yuichiro was that old, about the same as Mamoru but dropped out of school. Nephrite wasn't really human so it's hard to gauge his age. A lot of the flirting/romance was indeed with older guys though, particularly with Nephrite and Hawks Eye. The exception was Umino and Naru. Even Helios/Pegasus looked considerably older than Chibiusa.
Old 2014-05-14, 14:39   Link #1604
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
17 at the start of the story sounds about right for Mamoru. He started out as a highschool student and he was in university by the 3rd season. Still, the anime got away with some things that wouldn't be shown in some other countries, like Usagi getting drunk off champagne when she was still 14-15.

I don't think Yuichiro was that old, about the same as Mamoru but dropped out of school. Nephrite wasn't really human so it's hard to gauge his age. A lot of the flirting/romance was indeed with older guys though, particularly with Nephrite and Hawks Eye. The exception was Umino and Naru. Even Helios/Pegasus looked considerably older than Chibiusa.
Mamoru is in college in the first season, he knows Reika and all, and in the second season ( the Snow White show episode) he mentions it himself, so... He was 17 in the beginning of the manga, yes, not in the anime. Even if he were in high school in the first season, he would have been in his senior year, as the period between the first and the third season is a year - Usagi celebrates her 15th birthday in S.

Last edited by minaku; 2014-05-14 at 14:50.
Old 2014-05-14, 14:50   Link #1605
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
That's because he left home, remember?

Also it's dumb to think the anime crew would make and old guy character to have a crush on a young girl, I mean are you serious ?
Dunno if you meant me with the desires thing or what exactly you even mean by that, so I'm just gonna ignore it.

And besides AU /= canon
Anything random can happen in an AU, it doesn't even have to be in character. That's pretty much the point of showing an AU. Not very persuasive an argument, if you were trying to imply Rei was not meant to show an ideal of strength and independence.
Neither is anime-only plot when it was the manga that was being referenced.

And dumb? That's a bit of a sweeping statement. Remember Card Captor Sakura, by chance? Or, actually, even Jeanne. Older guys wanting being interests in young girls happened quite often in that time period.
Old 2014-05-14, 14:56   Link #1606
Miraluka
Banned

lol it's as if you are implying strength and independence totally rules out romance (or has to).

Yeah, dumb, that's why I said anime crew, being interested isn't the same as having a crush.
Old 2014-05-14, 15:41   Link #1607
Casshern

Still, it was usually the girls that had crushes on older guys, and usually the older guy was either Motoki (who was completely oblivious to their crushes) or a villain, not to mention Haruka.
Old 2014-05-14, 15:51   Link #1608
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
To be fair, I know what Faerie means about Makoto. Edit: Oops, I got that backwards. Faerie doesn't like the idea of Sailor Venus in a straight romance. Sorry for the mix-up there.

Whenever Makoto showed interest in romance in the anime, it seemed to take some of the edge away from her. The only time I liked it is when she mistook Haruka for a guy, and developed a crush on "him". And that I liked mostly for the sheer comedy value.

OTOH, I vaguely recall there being this somewhat nerdy side-character that had a crush on Ami in the anime. And I liked what was done there in an episode or two. If I had to pick just one Sailor Scout to have a side-character boyfriend that shows up once in a blue moon, it would probably be Ami.

I do like the idea of subtly hinting at ReixMinako, since Faerie brought that up. The idea of "Mars" and "Venus" being in a yuri romance with each other is amusing to me - Very fitting, while also being a bit ironic.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2014-05-14 at 16:01.
Old 2014-05-14, 15:58   Link #1609
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
lol it's as if you are implying strength and independence totally rules out romance (or has to).

Yeah, dumb, that's why I said anime crew, being interested isn't the same as having a crush.
Well, you clearly haven't bothered to read anything I wrote and are just making random assumptions, so this conversation is over.

Noin wasn't just interested in Marron. He almost raped her.

The teacher in CCS not only gave his grade schooler an engagement ring, they are pretty much shown to be having a relationship, only made marginally less creepy by the fact that they are waiting to get physical until she is older. Hopefully that means of age, not when she hits puberty.
Oh, for that matter, Gals had one of the girls in a relationship with the main characters older brother, a twenty-something.
So not sure what "crush" you're even referring to.
Anyways. Since you probably didn't read any of this properly either, don't bother.

@Casshern yes, that's true, SM itself didn't really have many (or any) instances of crushes on older people. Just other shows at the time did relatively frequently so it's not fair to accuse Minaku of suggesting something "stupid" is all I'm saying.

Edit: 3R, I don't mind whether it's straight or not, I just don't support the idea of introducing something (or someone) that wasn't there, like bringing in a random guy for her. Look how that worked out for Rei in the anime, that whole subplot wasn't all that great. To be fair, it was implied once that she had a crush on Kunzite back in the olden days. But he dies, so well, that's that.

You mean Ryo, with Ami? Yeah, that wasn't too bad, since he doesn't really show up much and doesn't really distract from anything. It was kind of cute, if I remember right. I don't even mind the idea of using what they did in pgsm, as Casshern pointed out. Although, he too dies, so.. Yeah..
Makoto was good with Motoki though, which is why I could see that. They had some nice interaction sometime during the first manga arc. It felt quite organic and it's a shame it never got anywhere.
Old 2014-05-14, 16:09   Link #1610
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Edit: 3R, I don't mind whether it's straight or not, I just don't support the idea of introducing something (or someone) that wasn't there, like bringing in a random guy for her. Look how that worked out for Rei in the anime, that whole subplot wasn't all that great. To be fair, it was implied once that she had a crush on Kunzite back in the olden days. But he dies, so well, that's that.
o
There were actually hints for Minako and Kunzite, and Rei and Jadeite, back in act 3 Jadeite things he feels strangely attracted to her, maybe something from their past. The idea was later rejected by Naoko's editor.
Old 2014-05-14, 16:15   Link #1611
Miraluka
Banned

Lol the editor really rejected that much?

Now that I remember Naoko even made an illustration with the senshi and the 4 HK.
Old 2014-05-14, 16:17   Link #1612
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post

You mean Ryo, with Ami?
Yeah, that's him.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want romance to be at the very core of the show. But I like the idea of one or two of the Sailor Scouts having a romance off on the side that you see evidence of every now and then, just to add a slight extra dimension and diversity to the cast.

Fair point on Makoto.
Old 2014-05-14, 21:25   Link #1613
Frontier

I confess to being pretty biased when it comes to romance, so I certainly wouldn't mind the other girls getting love interests or their own romantic sub-plots alongisde Usagi and Mamoru's. So long as it's written decently and doesn't detract from their characters .

But that's just me .
Old 2014-05-15, 03:14   Link #1614
minaku
Princess of Hades

What do you think about the music in Sailor Moon Crystal? My guess is that there will be plenty of character songs as all of the chosen VAs have awesome singing voices, at least in my opinion. The back ground music is what concerns me as it sets the mood and the bg music from the previous series is so memorable and beautifully composed. I hope they'll retain Moonlight Densetsu, but they MUST ask Momoiro Clover Z to record it again as their first take is... Nice place to stop

Last edited by minaku; 2014-05-15 at 04:26.
Old 2014-05-15, 12:41   Link #1615
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaku View Post
o
There were actually hints for Minako and Kunzite, and Rei and Jadeite, back in act 3 Jadeite things he feels strangely attracted to her, maybe something from their past. The idea was later rejected by Naoko's editor.
Back at the late 90s (typing that makes me feel so damn old now) when I picked up the monthly SM chapters that Mixx were releasing, I saw an artwork on the manga itself that featured the Sailor soldiers with the 4 generals. And they were quite....intimate with each other. Seeing that picture confused the hell out of me since I thought they were sworn enemies (even more so in the Anime, which I was watching at the time), but it wasn't until I got access to the internet around 2000 and did some online research that the romance between the sailor soldiers and those 4 generals was an idea Naoko wanted in the Manga. But her editor rejected the idea (along with many of her ideas. Poor woman must feel frustrated to this day.) though oddly enough the art does exist. I can't help but wondered for the past few months that maybe in the Anime there will be some plot ideas that Naoko couldn't put in the original manga but she'll try to place in this new Anime reboot. Like maybe instilling an actual romance between the generals and sailor soldiers this time around? Hmmm......then again, this may seem a bit awkward since the first Anime portrayed both the sailor soldiers and the generals as bitter enemies. To include the once dropped romance in now could make the whole thing seem awkward.
Old 2014-05-15, 12:54   Link #1616
minaku
Princess of Hades

qq
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
Back at the late 90s (typing that makes me feel so damn old now) when I picked up the monthly SM chapters that Mixx were releasing, I saw an artwork on the manga itself that featured the Sailor soldiers with the 4 generals. And they were quite....intimate with each other. Seeing that picture confused the hell out of me since I thought they were sworn enemies (even more so in the Anime, which I was watching at the time), but it wasn't until I got access to the internet around 2000 and did some online research that the romance between the sailor soldiers and those 4 generals was an idea Naoko wanted in the Manga. But her editor rejected the idea (along with many of her ideas. Poor woman must feel frustrated to this day.) though oddly enough the art does exist. I can't help but wondered for the past few months that maybe in the Anime there will be some plot ideas that Naoko couldn't put in the original manga but she'll try to place in this new Anime reboot. Like maybe instilling an actual romance between the generals and sailor soldiers this time around? Hmmm......then again, this may seem a bit awkward since the first Anime portrayed both the sailor soldiers and the generals as bitter enemies. To include the once dropped romance in now could make the whole thing seem awkward.
This time around, if they follow the manga closely, they'll show them as Mamoru's guardians, so they won't be like sworn enemies with the sailor senshi anyway. I like the idea of guilty conscious when they remember their past though - "You killed your destined one, your one and only true love from the past", because every guardian kills her respective general in the manga (according to the previously mentioned art). It would make them suffer and to be more focused on their duty, and explain their deny of love. Drama! :P

Last edited by minaku; 2014-05-15 at 18:54.
Old 2014-05-15, 13:15   Link #1617
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, that's him.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want romance to be at the very core of the show. But I like the idea of one or two of the Sailor Scouts having a romance off on the side that you see evidence of every now and then, just to add a slight extra dimension and diversity to the cast.

Fair point on Makoto.
Yeah, me too. I don't mind, for example extend on some bittersweet things that we're previously hinted, that don't work out, because duty first etc.
Makoto would be the perfect candidate for a working romance on the side in particular and Ami would kind of deserve it.
It's just pairing them all for the sake of it that I wouldn't want, it has to have some depth and relevance to it... For example:

The thing with Minako is, it was always a part of her character that she has love interests (Kunzite in the moon kingdom, the dude in the sailor v manga), but it doesn't work out... Because she chooses her duty over everything else. She gives up lots of stuff for it, more so than the others even, if you will- pgsm Minako was an idol I think. But the manga Minako never really got the chance (I'm really not sure since it's been years, but I think the sailor v manga expands on this?!) and the anime implies that she wanted to be one, iirc.
It's in her character song, it's mentioned in the manga itself, that Venus is about duty first, by explicit choice.
It's somewhat similar with Mars, too, but Rei was a serious type to begin with.
So I could see Them exploring these unfulfilled love interests (Kunzite even dies twice, lol) to make that point, and that would be nice- her Moon Kingtom timeline interaction to that end was interesting enough to expand it a little- particularly because I like that pairing, even though it can't end well.. but I couldn't see them giving her a permanent love interest that actually works out. It has to be bittersweet, or it would interfere with her characterisation throughout the run of the show.

I don't actually actively ship her with Mars btw, I just know it is popular and the arguments of the ships fans are pretty interesting. I wouldn't find it strange if that was a real option.
Old 2014-05-15, 16:56   Link #1618
Konja9

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
Well, I've never read that it was an editor who rejected the idea, do you know where this is mentioned? I had always thought that the idea was discarded by the author herself.

I'm not sure that the existence of that drawing (Sailors x Shitennou) ensures that there were plans to make romantic relationships between Sailors and Shitennou in the story. If I'm not mistaken, Naoko Takeuchi drew a picture of Usagi annd Minako in a romantic situation, but I do not think Usagi and Minako were going to be in a romantic situation in the story.

In my case, I would not like the four Sailors fall in love with the Shitennou in the new anime, I would find it redundant and repetitive. Maybe one or two Sailors fall in love with the Shitennou, but not the four Sailors.
Old 2014-05-15, 17:08   Link #1619
Miraluka
Banned

Find them in the manga. It's explained in the extra pages from each tankoubon featuring Naoko's comments about her characters and ideas, the editor really rejected a good chunk of them... she really wanted Heavenly Kings' romance with the girls so that that illustration would make sense for you now.
Old 2014-05-16, 18:35   Link #1620
Grand Phoenix
The Master of Turkeys

The '90s Sailor Moon anime - movies, specials, AND STARS, all unedited and with a new dub - and Crystal have been picked up by Viz!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nime-franchise

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-crystal-anime

FANGIRL GET HYPE.
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo