AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-06-08, 23:21   Link #201
tritoch

I like the OP's "doo doo dooo doooo doop doo dooo dooo doo doop"

I have teh music in my hd (hurrah for me)
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 00:08   Link #202
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I have a gut feeling that this will become among the best series of this season.

The fourth episode was simply wonderful: Osamu as a parent is very wise, despite what he seems to act like. It wasn't that Samatarou was harsh; it was that he was apathetic to Tenko. It still gives him points in my book for trying to live independently, and not to be the too-generic Keitaro type of hero. We always forget to realize what we have unless it's too late, and it's the same with Samatarou.

Placed in an alternate universe by his father where everyone's attitude is turned around (in their family, anyway) - Meme being the kid she should be, Venus being an overly apathetic mother and Risa to be the good nee-san, he realizes that what he had was what was the best all along. It was a good re-awakening for him when he realized the extent of Tenko's love for him: my heart was tearing itself up because of the bittersweetness of the story, and I couldn't help but be happy of how Samatarou reined in his lack of confidence to tell Tenko that he really values her.

Osamu's points in my book has increased. He's like the father of Yukino, jocular, funny, childish at times and yet insightful and perceptive, only sharper. The instance of Tenko in the alternate universe just made me like her more - she was able still to separate her love for Samatarou with her job, and I truly value what she has done - the little secrets and unknowns of the previous episodes surfaced, and her love for Sam is just noble.

I liked what Sam has done for Tenko: realizing that he really values her, that despite his apathy towards her she has shown him his love, he quickly gets back on his feet and did what he had to do. If those two presents didn't strengthen their bond, I don't know what would. I wasn't wrong, after all - this was a great no. 3 pick among the best of the season. (No. 1 being Ouran for the length and consistency, and No. 2 being Black Lagoon for the coolness)

I think I'm going to rewatch this episode again. It's just too much fun and heartache all in one that it moves me entirely.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 03:28   Link #203
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
I don't think Eureka seveN was THAT underrated compared to this hidden gem. Besides, I'd value a love story well told more than recycled (IMHO) mecha stuff.
So a romance anime isn't "recycled stuff" ?
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 03:30   Link #204
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Love has many forms. Mechas are robots that have many forms. Robots aren't dynamic. Love is.

(Spoken like a true romantic, lol.)
Old 2006-06-09, 03:40   Link #205
Zappster

Regardless, a well told love story would be just as recycled as a mecha anime.

edit: Note that I don't dislike romance anime, it's probably one of my favourite genres. Guess I just took exception to Eureka 7 being referred to as recycled mecha stuff. With that I'll leave the thread until I have something better and on topic to post.

Last edited by Zappster; 2006-06-09 at 04:02.
Old 2006-06-09, 04:11   Link #206
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Well, of course, that's your opinion.

Going back, Sam's among the better heroes I've seen this season. w00t!
Old 2006-06-09, 05:25   Link #207
nhyn

Same questions as tritoch's. Can anyone who has read the novels explain, please? We're ready to be spoiled
nhyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 17:18   Link #208
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No one talks about her much, but Meme really cracks me up. I actually like her best among all the female characters, even Tenko. I can understand the draw, but I just find her a little shrill. Not a lot - just a little. Meme strikes just the right chord of bemused perversity.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 18:28   Link #209
Itlandm
Porcupine

Episode 4 was fascinating, but confusing. God says: "I won't be able to turn you back." But evidently he says nothing about Samatarou not being able to turn himself back... Am I wrong, or is this the first time he does miracles on his own? Then again, until then, he has never really needed to.

Strangely, it looks like part of the episode is missing. From where Samatarou and the human Tenko are laughing together and till he comes home all dirty. Is it implied that something happened there? Why the dirty face? Has he been rolling on the ground (a rather disturbing thought, not least if he didn't do it alone) or is it just dust from the traffic? Is it a sign of the effort expended in restoring the universe to its proper place? Somehow I just don't get this part.

Oh, and Kumiko does hold open the possibility of meeting him again. I doubt we've seen the last of her, although it seems that the next episode will be very different.

I like how the series has grown A LOT more dramatic and less ditzy. But frankly I wish it had been more obvious from the start, the show may have lost some onlookers that could appreciate it the most. I know I had a lot lower expectations at episode 1 than now. I'm just lucky I have a high tolerance for ditzy.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 22:43   Link #210
lavielove

The episode is quite confusing.I thought the shop keeper is Tenko at first, then she's not. I didn't expect the things to be turned out like this ^_^ I like this episode alot.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 23:30   Link #211
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

In all honesty, episode 4 was really awesome for me.

While the middle of the episode was confusing, I really just shrugged it off/ignored it. When a show is dealing with characters as powerful as these, then anything is possible. While the show might not progess logically, I think it's just best if we ourselves fill in the missing details from what we have observed. While I'm not 100% certain, I have pretty much accepted the fact that either Samatarou just changed reality back to 'normal' near the end of the episode.

In other words, Tenko, being that Samatarou isn't really 'divine' anymore, ceases to exist and is really born a few years earlier than Samatarou in the 'new' reality. From there she grows up with another childhood friend, but like with Samatarou, that relationship doesn't really go anywhere. Now during the bullet train incident, for some uknown reason Sam becomes divine again, and right after while on the way home he start changing reality back.

I like this show so much that it's rapidly closing in Haruhi for the best show this season for me. Then again, I'm a big sucker for 1)childhood friend couples, 2) One of the 'couple' falls in love with another person, but his/her partner is not jealous and even tries to help and 3)Guy/Girl realizing that said childhood friend means more than anyone else when he/she is about to lose the childhood friend. In other words, pretty much this show word for word. ^^;

Only thing I'm worried about is that part 3) in the above usually only happens at the climax of the show (ie. near the end). However, we see it at episode 4, so I don't know how they're going to keep up with the show. I mean, where's the conflict? And while I was crying for like half the episode, I myself would've been more satisfied with Sam giving Tenko a hug from the back the moment he saw her rather than the kiss a bit later on. I'd have to see a bit more episodes before jumping the bandwagon, but so far, it's looking good.

BTW, thanks a lot fansubbers, both Kamisabu and Orz. Look forward to new episodes!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-10, 01:03   Link #212
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I think Kumiko will come back to plant the seeds of discord.
Old 2006-06-10, 01:32   Link #213
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm
Episode 4 was fascinating, but confusing. God says: "I won't be able to turn you back." But evidently he says nothing about Samatarou not being able to turn himself back... Am I wrong, or is this the first time he does miracles on his own?....
That's the only explanation that worked for me. Makes it somewhat moving, too: he doesn't have to become human to grow up, he has to become more of what he really is -- that is, a god.

I agree that Kumiko will probably return. I really don't know about the dirt on his face. Maybe he and human-Tenko really were rolling around together; or maybe it is symbolic, as Itlandm also suggests. DragoonKain3's explanation that Tenko was born as a human in the other reality makes some sense to me; I really couldn't figure it out otherwise (and didn't try too hard, either, as he suggests).

I do think that the nice serious edge of this show was already apparent, to some extent, in episode one. I really expected to find this show shallow and uninteresting, but there was just enough of its depth in ep1 to make me realize that it was more than I expected. And ep4 warmed my romantic heart. But I'm not going to start comparing it to my favorites, Suzumiya Haruhi and Simoun, just yet.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-10, 01:32   Link #214
lavielove

Even if Kumiko comes back, I think there won't be any love traingle anymore.Samatarou already kissed Tenko >.> I think the next arc will be the Goddess competition arc. That's gonna be fun.A happy ending I would like to see is Tenko as a Goddess instead of an angle who is treated like a maid in God family.

I just feel like Samatarou changed the shop-keeper girl to an Angle.The same way, he might have changed himself as God as well. @Kaoru Chujo how could you confirm that the shop-keeper girl is a human form of Tenko ??? I just don't get it. Or is she a Tenko's sister ???

Last edited by lavielove; 2006-06-10 at 01:43.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-10, 02:07   Link #215
Zappster

Having seen episode 3 a couple of thoughts crossed my mind, mainly "where have I seen this before?" and "the word recycled comes to mind" .

Regardless it was an enjoyable episode(bar some of the family bits which for the first time I found to be annoying), Samatarou seems like a decent male lead, f elt a bit sorry for Tenko towards the end of that episode. Decent series so far, nothing spectacular IMO, in agreement with Kaoru Chujo in that it's not up there with some of my favourites just yet.
Old 2006-06-10, 03:05   Link #216
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

~ Go Tenko Chan ~
Old 2006-06-10, 03:08   Link #217
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster
Having seen episode 3 a couple of thoughts crossed my mind, mainly "where have I seen this before?" and "the word recycled comes to mind" .

Regardless it was an enjoyable episode(bar some of the family bits which for the first time I found to be annoying), Samatarou seems like a decent male lead, f elt a bit sorry for Tenko towards the end of that episode. Decent series so far, nothing spectacular IMO, in agreement with Kaoru Chujo in that it's not up there with some of my favourites just yet.
Great opinion. I'd say the same thing with Eureka seveN: recycled does come to mind.
Old 2006-06-10, 03:24   Link #218
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
Kaoru Chujo, how could you confirm that the shop-keeper girl is a human form of Tenko ??? I just don't get it. Or is she a Tenko's sister ???
Can't confirm it at all. But "Tenko born into this world as a human" is the only idea that has made sense to me so far. Perhaps he realizes that if he were human, the kind of girl he would like, and could attain, would resemble Tenko. He says something about that shop girl being an angel, and then when they're on the bike I think he begins to use his power: to change the lights, to make them fly, to reveal her inner Tenko.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-10, 04:22   Link #219
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Lets remember in this series there is'nt just one god but also many major and minor gods.

She isnt Tenko's sister or anything . She is an angel herself who just like Tenko was in charge of another god like Samatarou. Who also happens to decides to quit being a god and be human who she also happens to love (Deja Vu ? Read the whole post it will make better sense) .

Once a God becomes human the gaurdian angels have no use , thus the shopkeeper. She had forgotten she was an angel and with Samatarou her powers are useful once again .It takes two to tango remember .

BUT this whole shopkeeper who resembles Tenko is a FARCE pulled by Papa-San or Osamu to make Samataro understnad what it is to be a mere human and more importantly make him appreciate the value and importance of Tenko in his life
Old 2006-06-10, 06:39   Link #220
Itlandm
Porcupine

Hmm, I can't help but think that if most of ep.4 is a "virtual reality", like a dream, then it would cheapen Samatarou's experience. Also the dust on his face seems to be a proof that he has been SOMEWHERE. But wherever he has been, Tenko clearly wasn't with him. This implies that Kumiko-chan was not there either. Presumably she has left in this reality too, but we will no doubt learn about that in the next episode.

It would be awesome if we got some rivalry for Tenko now. Since even we adore her so much, surely some boy will confess to her sooner or later? She is after all pretty popular with the boys.

I take it the novels have never been translated to a western language? I would so wish to read them after the series is complete.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, fantasy, romance, shounen