AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-04-08, 03:19   Link #61
Tranhieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Just curious....do Yamaha sponsored this? You can see their name in quite huge placement
Not sure about sponsorship, but Yamaha is listed in the credit roll as a collaborator.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 04:35   Link #62
whitecloud

that should be a proof enough I guess? Just like girl and panzer have collaboration with plastic model tank maker
Old 2015-04-08, 05:37   Link #63
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Meh.

Although this wasn't flat out bad like a lot of Kyoani shows I've watched from the get-go, unfortunately I can't share the opinion that this was good let alone great. If you like the Kyoani style, then great, if you don't it's got the same old' Kyoani lens filter all over it, albeit it was less annoying due to less bad school comedy which I am thankful for. I simply don't like how the characters act, in particular that really shy one and like with just nearly Kyoani shows, try too hard with the moe and squeaky voices. Feels artificial and unnatural and the reason why I tend to dislike Kyoani females.

It's standard high quality KyoAni visuals, but I don't see where people are getting Hyouka level visuals from. Aside from the computer sakura effects I guess. It looked also identical as it did in Hyouka. Aside from that, I'm not seeing anything aww-inspiring.

However, I will note that this wasn't like K-on. K-on, particularly s1 was a moe gag anime, which this isn't - it just has characters drawn to an over-cute manner with cute mannerisms which annoy me. It looks like it's actually about music, but unfortunately, with the number of music anime that has been churned out lately (and by extension idol) I'm starting to get saturated with the genre. And this was about ballpark average if you ask me. It also doesn't help I just watched Aki no kanade anime mirai 2015 ova just yesterday (which was about taiko drums) which was light years better than this.

I'll give it a few more eps but atm it's okay at best, but nothing impressive. Caveat is if more of that bitch girl (Hayami) and music teacher (Sakurai) gets screentime. Yeh I'm shallow but so what .

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2015-04-08 at 05:57.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 06:37   Link #64
l.kostas

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dail...d-short/.86885

Retailers began offering Kyoto Animation's Sound! Euphonium television anime on seven monthly 48-minute Blu-ray Disc/DVD volumes between June 17 and December 16. The first volume will have the first two episodes, an unaired short movie, a collection of promotional video and commercials, cast and staff commentaries, and Japanese subtitles. The initial copies will also include a special booklet, card(s) with an exclusive illustration, and postcard(s) with eyecatch art.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 07:08   Link #65
Tranhieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
that should be a proof enough I guess? Just like girl and panzer have collaboration with plastic model tank maker
Don't think so. Yamaha was listed for their instrument related collaboration (is there any better wording for 楽器関連協力?). There're also other collaborations with other associations, schools, companies in terms of researching on that same screen so sponsorship is unlikely here.

Upon checking the website I saw Yamaha's logo appearing at the bottom of the page so there might be some sort of partial sponsoring going on. Someone with better knowledge might chime in.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 07:13   Link #66
IceHism

I wish mc keep her ponytail. I like her personality though.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 09:30   Link #67
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Meh.
My reaction about this post.

Honestly, every time KyoAni makes an anime, a KyoAni hater walks in the thread, gives a speech about KyoAni style, KyoAni fans, and jumps out of it with some unexplainable triumph. Never satisfied, never silent. Meh.

KyoAni haters aside, it's certainly a great start. I can seriously sympathise with Kumiko (especially her 'oh crap' moments ), and I think she'll be my fav female lead of the season, Tohsaka Rin aside. Just enough cutesy in girls to make me believe that they're schoolgirls (yes, they do try to be cuter and have their voice sound higher irl), and more than enough of atmosphere to drag me in. Just great.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 09:32   Link #68
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quickest 180's I had in recent memory. On one moment I was all HHHNNNGGG when the guy says they're childhood friends, then epic facepalm when he was the reason for their falling out ("Don't talk to me ugly!"). I'm really liking Reina as a Mai Waifu kind of character, and then the ED came rolling around with a red string attached to Kumiko and I WAS NOT AMUSED. Yuri fans, you guys already have Nanoha VIVID this cour, go watch that instead... >_>

Seriously speaking though, I thought the episode was great. If anything, it reminds me of (of all things) baseball anime/manga, where the general plot is them not being good enough in middle school, then training a group to be good enough together to get to nationals in high school. Of course, while that being the background story, the real meat of the plot would be the character interactions while getting there.

At the very least, I REALLY hope it's like Shirobako, where the focus on just the girls in promo material is a bit misleading. I want more screen time for childhood friend guy (No duh) but that weird guy in the shrine looks too quirky to have his character to be wasted on the background. Not to mention Asuka is currently holding my Best New Girl of the season title, so it would really be a hindrance to total enjoyment if the story just focused on the four girls alone. Which really is my biggest fear and the main reason why I'm hesitant to say anything like this is the current leader of AotS for me; while I did enjoy K-On (or at least the first season), I have had enough of K-On.

I'm really digging the uniforms though. The combination of Serafuku and Blazer type buttons makes it a best of both worlds scenario, and the white cuffs combined with the detail of all the scrunches making it look oversized, yet surprisingly cute at the same time.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 10:01   Link #69
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
My reaction about this post.

Honestly, every time KyoAni makes an anime, a KyoAni hater walks in the thread, gives a speech about KyoAni style, KyoAni fans, and jumps out of it with some unexplainable triumph. Never satisfied, never silent. Meh.
Not praising a series makes me a hater now. Ok. Also, please tell me where I attacked Kyoani fans in my post because I don't see it.

I watched this episode with some expectation because I was hearing really positive things on my twitter and blogs because it was actually about music and actually good. And it is music based which is good to see. But everything else was a disappointment and I explained why.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 10:37   Link #70
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So... is this the first KA eyeglasses girl to be completely bonkers?

This was a wonderfully restrained pilot for a studio (in)famous for taking girl-centered shows, dumping sugar down their throats and letting them go wild, aside from the aforementioned glasses girl. And yes I adore Kumiko as the lead character for herself personifying the flow the episode took.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 11:14   Link #71
HandofFate

Some people were comparing this to Tamako Market, so I came into watching ep1 expecting to drop it since I really disliked it.

But its a bit different.
Liking it so far, the pacing seems 'smart' to me. And I can see where they're planning to go with it.
Old 2015-04-08, 12:10   Link #72
Sacredus

And we have it. K-ON v2. Completely waste of time.
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 12:54   Link #73
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
Except that it's not Naoko Yamada who is directing Sound! Euphonium.

Anyways, the visuals and the scene transition reminds me of K-ON! 6 years ago, and I'm hoping that KyoAni will do something great for this series!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 13:04   Link #74
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Not praising a series makes me a hater now. Ok. Also, please tell me where I attacked Kyoani fans in my post because I don't see it.

I watched this episode with some expectation because I was hearing really positive things on my twitter and blogs because it was actually about music and actually good. And it is music based which is good to see. But everything else was a disappointment and I explained why.
Yeah? It was a generalisation rant based on the forums' population. My reaction to your post was contained to meh.

Your moe allergy's already straining my willingness to discuss anything with you. If there's one thing I'd agree with you, though, it's a wish about Hayamin (if you meant her) getting more spotlight.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 13:09   Link #75
Sacredus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Except that it's not Naoko Yamada who is directing Sound! Euphonium.
And? That would change something?
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 13:25   Link #76
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
So any anime that has girls and musical instruments is now K-ON? Are we really going to generalize that far? I mean yeah, a concert band club and light music club are pretty well exactly the same thing .

You could have some hilarious bad comparisons if that's how far you are going to stretch it.

It's fine not to enjoy a show, but such random criticism is pretty comical.
Old 2015-04-08, 13:33   Link #77
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
As someone who can't really dig K-on! even after going through the 2 seasons and the movie, it baffles me to see someone call that a K-on v2 as it is nowhere close to it.

Frankly, H!E has everything K-on! didn't if we consider an anime about music, and it is definitely something that set them apart.

The fact they just kept the moe to a average level with Midori alone is a god sent. I assume other girls will have few quirks, but so far Kumiko is quite balanced, Hazuki is full of energy without being a Ritsu II, and Midori is actually motivated by performing music instead of other agenda that would derail the series. And while we didn't see Reina interacting with the main group, she has solid aspirations so it will probably affect the group in that regard, especially since the band club is nothing to write home about.

I must admit I was even surprised by Kumiko's relationship with Shuuichi, which make them rather normal, instead of the overabused childhood friends trope.

My only "grief" is that Kumiko looks much better with a ponytail but that's due to my pony bias

But in general, I would say it was a solid pilot episode, acting as a good characters introduction without dragging the plot too much.
Old 2015-04-08, 15:43   Link #78
aakun4

It was an enjoyable episode. I really loved the art - the scene before they get to the train station with the sakura tree was just plain gorgeous. The eyes were also beautiful.

Also the way they made the so-so performance of the school band noticeable even for music noobs is something to give them props for. This ep felt like a really dedicated piece of work in general.

The characters are all pretty basic but (!) our MC here was interesting. I loved her "bitchy" careless attitude <3 I hope she keeps it during the story and they don't take to "fix it" because I love MCs that fall out from the usual stuff. It reminded me a bit of (Cross Ange's) Ange :') #neverforget

The only problem I have with this series is that I really had enough of school club activities with just one big goal in mind and pretty much nothing else going on plot-wise, so if this goes exactly in that way I will probably drop it in a few eps (fortunately I've read that this story has a deeper plot compared to previous Kyo-ani stuff like K-ON or Free so there's some hope)
aakun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 16:18   Link #79
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I wish mc keep her ponytail. I like her personality though.
THIS. I WENT HERE JUST TO SAY THIS.

I'll probably will not watch another episode of this, maybe just another one to see that black haired girl's reaction, but it's not a stretch to say that this has the most pleasing visuals/animation out of all this season's shows so far. Sasuga KyoAni!
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 16:24   Link #80
Dickdatduck More

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
As someone who can't really dig K-on! even after going through the 2 seasons and the movie, it baffles me to see someone call that a K-on v2 as it is nowhere close to it.

Frankly, H!E has everything K-on! didn't if we consider an anime about music, and it is definitely something that set them apart..
As someone who likes K-on! and Hibike! Euphonium, I say they are alike insofar as they are Kyoani shows about 4 girls in a music club. The way they differ is that K-on was a comedy about 4 girls who just so happen to be in a music club. Hibike! Euphonium is, as far as I can tell from just 1 episode, about 4 girls who seem to be passionate about music.
Dickdatduck More is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
band, high school drama, music, orchestra